IGNORED

Old music you're listening to

City Rocker

11 hours ago, TV Tom said:

Have some of this ?

Fantastic! An inspired choice, my friend. Two supremely talented artists and a sublime song. How sad that both were such tortured souls.

Terry Hall was an early hero for me - along with the likes of Chris Garland, Gerry Gow, Joe Strummer, Pete Shelley... you get the idea. 

7 hours ago, City Rocker said:

Fantastic! An inspired choice, my friend. Two supremely talented artists and a sublime song. How sad that both were such tortured souls.

Terry Hall was an early hero for me - along with the likes of Chris Garland, Gerry Gow, Joe Strummer, Pete Shelley... you get the idea. 

Their facial expressions throughout are hilarious and how beautiful was Sinead O'Connor ?

• Like 2

Absolutely smokin' blues from Grinderswitch, John Peel's theme tune. 

Never heard of 'em? Well for anyone who grew up listening to the Peel show (10 til midnight, Monday to Thursday on Radio 1) those opening few bars evoke so much. 

Opening monologue would invariably be something along the lines of:

"Good evening boys and girls, on tonight's show, sessions from Einsturtzende Neubauten and Killing Joke, [something about Liverpool in Europe, and probably a reference either to Kenny Dalglish or Bill Shankley], but first, these are the Fall..." 

#ReveredUncleJohnny

• Like 2

On 04/08/2023 at 22:50, AppyDAZE said:

Syd logs out

... and I'm wondering who could be writing this song.

Miss you forever, Syd.

Incredible yet sad song written by a man who knew his time with the band was over and his mind had gone.  "And who the band your in starts playing different tunes.." was a reference to this track (I believe).  

• Like 1

The Undertones 'Just Like Romeo and Juliet' is an absolute stunner of a cover version. 

It's thanks to the Undertones that I discovered the seminal Nuggets compilations, and Michael & The Messengers version of 'R&J" is one of the standouts.

I could literally listen to this Undertones version all night on repeat, it's ace. 

• Flames 1

On 03/10/2023 at 21:53, City Rocker said:

The Undertones 'Just Like Romeo and Juliet' is an absolute stunner of a cover version. 

It's thanks to the Undertones that I discovered the seminal Nuggets compilations, and Michael & The Messengers version of 'R&J" is one of the standouts.

I could literally listen to this Undertones version all night on repeat, it's ace. 

Saw them last Friday at O2 in Bristol...  Absolutely superb.

Wonderful playing, great sound balance, great vocals, guitars, drums, bass,

loads and loads of tunes. One of the best things I've seen in quite a while.

The Rezillos weren't so good. All sounded a bit samey.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1

On 20/06/2023 at 23:04, AppyDAZE said:

Aged 11 or 12,  they were the first band I ever seriosously got into, the first band I ever saw live... not a bad standard to set.

And I thin k his is the first ever TOTP thing I ever saw  that made me think **** I want a guitar

Now I've got 15 of the ******* and counting.. cant stop myself from buying them

This is my favourite Queen track, love the album A Night at the Opera. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

12 minutes ago, glynriley said:

This is my favourite Queen track, love the album A Night at the Opera. 

Superb. The middle section is outstanding.

I think the albums up to and including this one are pretty much perfect.

Then I think it starts to tail off, with some great stuff still around, but less and less.

But it's all about taste and I know of lots of people who cannot stand Queen.

I love 'em.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Superb. The middle section is outstanding.

I think the albums up to and including this one are pretty much perfect.

Then I think it starts to tail off, with some great stuff still around, but less and less.

But it's all about taste and I know of lots of people who cannot stand Queen.

I love 'em.

I agree. All the albums from the 70’s are class, the 80’s stuff not so much, but I do like The Works. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, glynriley said:

I agree. All the albums from the 70’s are class, the 80’s stuff not so much, but I do like The Works. 

I listened to the album Jazz a few months ago for the first time in ages and was surprised at how good it still sounded.

They were very, very talented, but like you, I much prefered the 70s output, the stuff where they weren't joking around so much, as I like to put it.

4 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Saw them last Friday at O2 in Bristol...  Absolutely superb.

Wonderful playing, great sound balance, great vocals, guitars, drums, bass,

loads and loads of tunes. One of the best things I've seen in quite a while.

The Rezillos weren't so good. All sounded a bit samey.

I was there too, fantastic gig wasn't it? Did you notice Paul McLoone chanted BRISTOL CITY! in the middle of My Perfect Cousin? Legend! 

The Undertones remain one of my lifelong favourite bands, having been the first gig I ever went to, aged just under 14, in 1979. The Locarno was supposedly an over-18s venue, but was always full of spikey little schoolkids when the punk and new wave bands came to play, which was most weeks back then. Good times. 

• Flames 1

6 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

I was there too, fantastic gig wasn't it? Did you notice Paul McLoone chanted BRISTOL CITY! in the middle of My Perfect Cousin? Legend! 

The Undertones remain one of my lifelong favourite bands, having been the first gig I ever went to, aged just under 14, in 1979. The Locarno was supposedly an over-18s venue, but was always full of spikey little schoolkids when the punk and new wave bands came to play, which was most weeks back then. Good times. 

He certainly did, and I noticed ittoo :laugh: Top man.. and hey,  he is a quality vocalist. This is the first time I've seen the band since '79 when Feargal was fronting.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Those were great days, I remember them fondly. Saw SLF live a few times, the Damned loads of times, XTC, pretty much all the quality bands, and a few less so   :laugh: :laugh:

PS fav Untertones track, and it went down brilliantly on Friday, Get Over You. Sang EVERY BLEEDIN WORD.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

He certainly did, and I noticed ittoo :laugh: Top man.. and hey,  he is a quality vocalist. This is the first time I've seen the band since '79 when Feargal was fronting.

19 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Those were great days, I remember them fondly. Saw SLF live a few times, the Damned loads of times, XTC, pretty much all the quality bands, and a few less so   :laugh: :laugh:

PS fav Untertones track, and it went down brilliantly on Friday, Get Over You. Sang EVERY BLEEDIN WORD.

Same, we used to go and see them all, The Clash, Jam, Damned, Ramones, Buzzcocks, Ruts, Siouxsie, SLF, Stranglers... and all the 2Tone ska and mod bands, I was into it all.

Have seen the Undertones dozens of times since then. I've always wished they'd managed to capture their awesome live sound on record. Don't get me wrong, the records are fantastic, but in concert they really are something else. 

• Like 1

On 08/08/2023 at 20:24, City Rocker said:

Never heard of 'em? Well for anyone who grew up listening to the Peel show (10 til midnight, Monday to Thursday on Radio 1) those opening few bars evoke so much. 

"Good evening boys and girls, on tonight's show, sessions from Einsturtzende Neubauten and Killing Joke, [something about Liverpool in Europe, and probably a reference either to Kenny Dalglish or Bill Shankley], but first, these are the Fall..." 

#ReveredUncleJohnny

Just waiting for the gentle scouse tones saying "Hello there, tonight we have sessions from Henry Cow , Sam Apple Pie and Ivor Cutler" .

On 08/08/2023 at 20:24, City Rocker said:

#ReveredUncleJohnny

Mainly listened to Peel in the backroom, no heating. Fundamental to my music appreciation and my aversion  to hyperthermia. 

I can't let this thread go any further without bringing in one of the great under rated singer song writers, Rickie Lee Jones. As other songwriters have appeared on the scene, I can hear her influence and invariably they fade in comparison. The album "Pirates" is considered by many to be her masterpiece, but her eponymous debut album is just a stunning way to start her career.

On Saturday Afternoons in '63, apparently written while looking at old picture of herself with her schoolmates, gets me emotional every time, and Last Chance Texaco is a work of art.

https://youtu.be/2ZWRPse9BZ8?si=fTFArUr7_sy1RPE9

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I can't let this thread go any further without bringing in one of the great under rated singer song writers, Rickie Lee Jones. As other songwriters have appeared on the scene, I can hear her influence and invariably they fade in comparison. The album "Pirates" is considered by many to be her masterpiece, but her eponymous debut album is just a stunning way to start her career.

On Saturday Afternoons in '63, apparently written while looking at old picture of herself with her schoolmates, gets me emotional every time, and Last Chance Texaco is a work of art.

A beautiful song, I love Rickie Lee Jones. Strangely, I was listening literally last night to Chuck E's in Love, another amazing track. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

And another achingly beautiful song from a female artist in the same era, this is one of my all time favourites. Judie Tzuke - Stay With Me 'till Dawn

• Like 1