IGNORED

Old music you're listening to

City Rocker

9 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

Yep. He was on the whole album (Nonsuch) produced by Elton John's old producer.

XTC is my Bristol City music wise. Bought all their albums, singles and more. Travelled to see them outside of Bristol and like the City, never made it to the Premier League of venues and TV.

I could give more similarities but I'd end up being 'Disappointed.' 

What a track this is and if Andy is reading this...the reason it was never a massive hit was because of the drum rhythm Dave had to play (listen to the demo version by Andy. It's the same). At the end, Dave plays the standard rhythm most drummers would play. The song suddenly comes alive. You want to dance to it.  Just like City, so much promise but....and I'm annoyed!

XTC and Bristol City. That's me!

I vaguely recall in the halcyon days of football chat on the internet (like about 25 years ago), there was a City fan I spoke with on one message board who called himself Colin Moulding. Would that have been you? 

3 hours ago, City Rocker said:

I vaguely recall in the halcyon days of football chat on the internet (like about 25 years ago), there was a City fan I spoke with on one message board who called himself Colin Moulding. Would that have been you? 

Fraid not squire.  I used to go on the City List a lot but I can't even remember what my 'handle' was. Blimey, I sound so CB Radios in motion!

In his day, maybe the coolest rock star on the planet.

Not so cool being dead by the age of 36 and of his own doing,

but you know that they say only the good die young,

and Phil was bleeding good by anybody's standards.

******* loved them as a 3 piece.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

On 08/12/2023 at 22:38, AppyDAZE said:

Cowboy song was always my fave. My Irish wife knows them from when she booked them for her school dance circa 1969 in Dublin. She says they were called Orphanage at the time.

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 2

I went to see Billy Bragg at the Bristol Beacon a couple of weeks ago (he was really good) and I’ve been re-discovering some of his music, including some I’d not been aware of before the concert. “All You Fascists Are Bound To Lose” (Billy Bragg wrote the music to Woody Guthrie’s original lyrics) is a great one. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I went to see Sparks this summer , those guys are amazing. Still producing top material and nailing it on stage. 
This week I have mostly been listening to Roxy Music. 

I have seen Roxy Music and Bryan Ferry in various locations all over the world 27 times.

Edited by BigTone

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I went to see Sparks this summer , those guys are amazing. Still producing top material and nailing it on stage. 
This week I have mostly been listening to Roxy Music. 

i am in awe of that one, i watch you tube videos of sparks in recent years and dont know how russell mael still hits the notes, he must be mid 70s now if not older?

4 hours ago, Offside said:

I went to see Billy Bragg at the Bristol Beacon a couple of weeks ago (he was really good) and I’ve been re-discovering some of his music, including some I’d not been aware of before the concert. “All You Fascists Are Bound To Lose” (Billy Bragg wrote the music to Woody Guthrie’s original lyrics) is a great one. 

ive got tickets to see adam ant there next november,  really looking forward to seeing the revamp

Pretzel Logic- Steely Dans album of New York stories set to music. Such a great album cover and some brilliantly crafted songs.

Charlie Freak has to be one of the saddest.

Charlie Freak had but one thing to call his own
Three weight ounce pure golden ring no precious stone
Five nights without a bite
No place to lay his head
And if nobody takes him in
He'll soon be dead
On the street he spied my face I heard him hail
In our plot of frozen space he told his tale
Poor man, he showed his hand
So righteous was his need
And me so wise I bought his prize
For chicken feed
Newfound cash soon begs to smash a state of mind
Close inspection fast revealed his favorite kind
Poor kid, he overdid
Embraced the spreading haze
And while he sighed his body died
In fifteen ways
When I heard I grabbed a cab to where he lay
'Round his arm the plastic tag read D.O.A.
Yes Jack, I gave it back
The ring I could not own
Now come my friend I'll take your hand
And lead you home

image.png.45c7736046c8d624bd7e156ff199946f.png
  • Like 1

On 15/12/2023 at 15:46, BigTone said:

Cowboy song was always my fave. My Irish wife knows them from when she booked them for her school dance circa 1969 in Dublin. She says they were called Orphanage at the time.

Cowboy Song - My favourite too, along with Romeo and the Lonely Girl. A song Phil Lynott wrote for Gary Moore - 'For all his good looks there were scars that he took'. 

• Like 1

On 16/12/2023 at 13:20, BigTone said:

I have seen Roxy Music and Bryan Ferry in various locations all over the world 27 times.

Saw them at Colston Hall (can I say that) a few times also ELO and The Strawbs all at same place years back; a few others at the Lacarno, Towns Talk and Hawthorns up Clifton; never got to Glasto or anywhere else.

• Like 1