IGNORED

Old music you're listening to

City Rocker

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

I still reckon that evening, and another one with J Geils Band, probably explains more than anything else the current state of my hearing!

What with the Colston Hall and Ashton Gate it sounds like you and I were living parallel lives at the time! Some great gigs at the Colston Hall in those days though - the best of all being Bowie on the Ziggy Stardust tour. I spent the whole night on the pavement outside the Colston Hall to get tickets for that one!

That is amazing, so did I!

I did the same thing for Rod Stewart at The Hippodrome.

Unfortunately, having spent hours queuing for Roxy Music tickets, I missed the concert itself as I was too late getting back from Aston Villa, which was on the same Saturday.

21 hours ago, italian dave said:

I’ve seen lots of memorable gigs over the years, but probably my biggest regret is not seeing Queen live in their prime, at a big venue.

Although weirdly I did actually see them at the Colston Hall in 1973 when they were support band for Mott the Hoople!

I was asked by friends if I wanted to go to Knebworth and I said no for some reason. My other regret was when I saw U2 on the Joshua tour in Wembley I wanted to see them again and used my Bowie ticket money to pay for them in Cardiff. 

Edited by RedorDead BCFC

6 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

That is amazing, so did I!

I did the same thing for Rod Stewart at The Hippodrome.

Unfortunately, having spent hours queuing for Roxy Music tickets, I missed the concert itself as I was too late getting back from Aston Villa, which was on the same Saturday.

Ha ha! Not just parallel lives but sharing a pavement for a night!!!

I didn’t see Rod Stewart. Roxy Music, yes, but I think it was either at the Hippodrome or even in Bath. I have a vague idea that I saw Roxy Music at the Bristol Uni Student Union before they got very well known, but I may be wrong about that!

7 hours ago, italian dave said:

I still reckon that evening, and another one with J Geils Band, probably explains more than anything else the current state of my hearing!

What with the Colston Hall and Ashton Gate it sounds like you and I were living parallel lives at the time! Some great gigs at the Colston Hall in those days though - the best of all being Bowie on the Ziggy Stardust tour. I spent the whole night on the pavement outside the Colston Hall to get tickets for that one!

I spent the night outside the Colston Hall twice for Black Sabbath and AC/DC.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

I was asked by friends if I wanted to go to Knebworth and I said no for some reason. My other regret was when I saw U2 on the Joshua tour in Wembley I wanted to see them again and used my Bowie ticket money to pay for them in Cardiff. 

Ooooh! You missed Bowie ?‍???

Apart from the Colston Hall gig, I saw him at the Milton Keynes Bowl ( @PHILINFRANCE was probably there too!!) and those are probably the two best I’ve seen.

Second best would be Leonard Cohen. No-one who hasn’t seen him believes that, but truly outstanding. 

22 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Apart from the Colston Hall gig, I saw him at the Milton Keynes Bowl ( @PHILINFRANCE was probably there too!!) and those are probably the two best I’ve seen.

Second best would be Leonard Cohen. No-one who hasn’t seen him believes that, but truly outstanding. 

I was back stage at one of the Bowie gigs at Milton Keynes via a Siobhan Fahey connection. Got to meet him and get autograph. 

What an awesome gig. Total legend. 

Having said that...U2 on the Joshua Tree tour were also phenomenal. Saw them on that tour and before at the Colston Hall when Bono walked the 'bar' waving his flag. 

Last memory waiting for tickets outside the night before, was outside HMV on Park Street, for INXS at the Victoria rooms where I got my Kick album fully signed and shared a drink with Hutch who was fully off his trolley. What a great front man. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

Ha ha! Not just parallel lives but sharing a pavement for a night!!!

I didn’t see Rod Stewart. Roxy Music, yes, but I think it was either at the Hippodrome or even in Bath. I have a vague idea that I saw Roxy Music at the Bristol Uni Student Union before they got very well known, but I may be wrong about that!

Roxy Music were, indeed, at The Hippodrome, although, as I mentioned earlier, I missed their concert.

A propos the Student Union, I saw Police there in the late1970s, when they sang Roxanne and Can’t Stand Losing You.

I thought they were very good, but, by the mid 80s, I really started to go off them.

In 1982, I was invited by a young neighbour to see a new, relatively unheard of group perform in a studio, prior to a recording session.

I really wasn’t that impressed, and my neighbour, who was quite keen on one of the band members, told me I just didn’t recognise good music.

When me met the band after for a few drinks, I asked my neighbour not to mention my comments, she complied, and we spent a lovely afternoon with these young Irish men, laughing, joking and, of course, drinking quite a lot.

With hindsight, my neighbour was probably right about my appreciation of good music, for U2 went on to be quite a good band.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Roxy Music were, indeed, at The Hippodrome, although, as I mentioned earlier, I missed their concert.

A propos the Student Union, I saw Police there in the late1970s, when they sang Roxanne and Can’t Stand Losing You.

I thought they were very good, but, by the mid 80s, I really started to go off them.

In 1982, I was invited by a young neighbour to see a new, relatively unheard of group perform in a studio, prior to a recording session.

I really wasn’t that impressed, and my neighbour, who was quite keen on one of the band members, told me I just didn’t recognise good music.

When me met the band after for a few drinks, I asked my neighbour not to mention my comments, she complied, and we spent a lovely afternoon with these young Irish men, laughing, joking and, of course, drinking quite a lot.

With hindsight, my neighbour was probably right about my appreciation of good music, for U2 went on to be quite a good band.

Nah, you were right, and you could have saved us all a lot of suffering if you had persuaded them not to give up the day job. ?

• Haha 1

On 16/07/2023 at 11:57, italian dave said:

- the best of all being Bowie on the Ziggy Stardust tour. I spent the whole night on the pavement outside the Colston Hall to get tickets for that one!

I was lucky enough to have tickets for both Bowie gigs (he did two shows that day) ,sat by the mixing desk with Angie B, great day /night !

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

On 16/07/2023 at 19:57, italian dave said:

I saw Springsteen last week in Hyde Park. Wanted to see him as been on my bucket list for a while, not someone I would say I need that album. But I was blown away as to how good he was and will go down as my favourite gig I’ve been too. 

23 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I was lucky enough to have tickets for both Bowie gigs (he did two shows that day) ,sat by the mixing desk with Angie B, great day /night !

We couldn't get tickets for the Colston Hall so got some for Taunton Odeon

• Like 1

Still can't get my head around how this music is now classed as OLD.

I suppose that's just how it is when you've been into music since the early 70s.

RIP, Doug Hopkins a late 80s / early 90s shining light  with bags of potential, but far too many probelms to handle.

Took his own life in 1993, but wrote most of their best songs. (he's not in this video)

:laugh: this video is SO 90s, it's so funny looking back.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, glynriley said:

This is nearly 30 years old…RIP Terry

And the next cab off the rank on my Spotify 

Funny enough i've got a ticket to see the Lightning seeds (who co-wrote sense) appearing with Texas today at Glastonbury Abbey, of course i turned it down and will be at AG instead, wife and kids not too happy !!!