IGNORED

Rob Dickie Signed (Confirmed)

GrahamC

1 hour ago, Spike said:

A lot of the comments I'm reading about him are quite negative, I know it could be sour grapes but comments like 

does surprise me as even if we sold Kalas who has barely played and probably cost us a small fortune I don't think I'd have much negative to say about him. Are we essentially doing what Middlesbrough did with us by buying a player they thought was only improving but in fact had just p[eaked and was about to decline? I'm not saying this is the case but more asking if it is as I don't know Dickie that well but I do find it odd that QPR would sell him at an age where I think CB's tend to begin their best years for as little as £1m?

Football fans often have short memories. I don't doubt that he may have played poorly in the last 6 months, but so has every other player who has worn a QPR shirt in that time. Prior to that, he's been great for them.

There is an element of risk vs reward in every signing, and this one is no different. We're paying £500k for a 27 year old CB with a good fitness record and 3 years of experience in the Championship, who was considered one of the best defenders in the league 12 months ago.

As far as I can see, this one looks very low risk, and potentially very high reward.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, George Rs said:

This screams of a Webster like transfer to me. Just hopefully we enter the premier league with him ?

The Webster transfer was a one-off imo.

He was very highly rated but had been regularly injured at Ipswich, playing on average just 25 games per season and there was some doubt about his long term fitness which was reflected in the fee.

A rare occasion, I should think, when the potential add-ons for Ipswich were greater than the fee they received - 3.5m rising to 8m was widely reported. A number of these add ons would likely have been met, 10, 20, 30 apps etc and there would have been a big sell on if he proved his ability to last a season, which was very much in doubt.

As it turned out Webster made 47 apps in all comps for us, by far the most he has made in a season in his career, before or since.

In 4 seasons at Brighton, although they play less league games, his highest seasonal total is 31 apps, - not bad, but his lowest 22, and he's averaged about 27 according to wiki, so much as people are saying with Flint it appears we may have had him at his best - fitness wise at least.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The Webster transfer was a one-off imo.

He was very highly rated but had been regularly injured at Ipswich, playing on average just 25 games per season and there was some doubt about his long term fitness which was reflected in the fee.

A rare occasion, I should think, when the potential add-ons for Ipswich were greater than the fee they received - 3.5m rising to 8m was widely reported. A number of these add ons would likely have been met, 10, 20, 30 apps etc and there would have been a big sell on if he proved his ability to last a season, which was very much in doubt.

As it turned out Webster made 47 apps in all comps for us, by far the most he has made in a season in his career, before or since.

In 4 seasons at Brighton, although they play less league games, his highest seasonal total is 31 apps, - not bad, but his lowest 22, and he's averaged about 27 according to wiki, so much as people are saying with Flint it appears we may have had him at his best - fitness wise at least.

Agree with his fitness levels, but to be fair he has kicked on very well at Brighton, been one of their starting cbs for 2 years now and with Lewis dunk getting an England call up I would’ve thought he would’ve been handed one himself at least in a nations league campaign or a group of friendly games.

Not saying Dickie will reach Websters level or price value if we were to sell him on but that kind of situation.

Central defender that is undervalued because of certain factors but clearly has the ability. Shrewd business if it works.

1 hour ago, Supersonic Robin said:

As far as I can see, this one looks very low risk, and potentially very high reward.

A million quid punt ...not sure about improving us though ?

Might slot in & grow in confidence.

Can possibly improve positional awareness with coaching, less so his lack of pace.

9 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Can possibly improve positional awareness with coaching, less so his lack of pace.

Initial fee looks closer to £500k than a £1m. 

Probably a bit misleading to describe him as a "punt". He's a player in his prime who has spent the last 3 years playing at this level. Pretty much as "safe" a transfer as you can get really. 

Does he improve us? Almost certainly.
From a squad point of view, we have 2 fit senior CBs going into next season (Vyner & Naismith). So, obviously, Dickie is an improvement in terms of cover relative to having nobody.
From a starting XI point of view, he's probably an upgrade on Vyner. That's no disrespect to Vyner at all, he improved massively last season and is a decent option. However, as mentioned earlier in the thread, Dickie was being linked with £10m moves to the Premier League 12 months ago.**

** (Imagine if I'd told you 12 months ago that we'd be discussing whether Dickie starts ahead of Vyner!)

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

has anyone been down the ground to see if there's anything occurring?

Went down about 2pm and I overheard people talking about Pitch Revamp. Another player perhaps, Dutch?

Exciting times.

• Haha 7

42 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Ì know you've decided Cornick is shit, but that's no reason to criticise every signing we make going forwards.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Son of Fred said:

Aden Flint lacked pace and did alright for us in the Championship. At our level CB’s are generally quick OR they win headers. Those that can do both are in the Prem. If you lack pace then positional awareness that you refer to has to cover that. If we concede one or two where he’s 1 v 1 with a speed merchant but we look more solid when balls are loaded into our penalty area, which is an important issue in our league, I guess Nige will be happy with that?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

has anyone been down the ground to see if there's anything occurring?

No, just been down Long Ashton.

Went past the Angel, scaffolding up, pub sign down, and apparently getting a full outside repaint.

Feared the worst but fortunately on the way back I could make out customers lounging in the window seat inside enjoying their pints.

So hopefully this fine old pub will be there for many years (decades) to come.

I know it does b&b (Tommy said he stayed there at least once) so, to keep on thread, perhaps it's having a quick upgrade for an overnight stay for Dickie?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Aden Flint lacked pace and did alright for us in the Championship. At our level CB’s are generally quick OR they win headers. Those that can do both are in the Prem. If you lack pace then positional awareness that you refer to has to cover that. If we concede one or two where he’s 1 v 1 with a speed merchant but we look more solid when balls are loaded into our penalty area, which is an important issue in our league, I guess Nige will be happy with that?

Exactly.

Against teams who play quick football on the counter he may not start/play but against teams who play with 2 big strikers he will be instrumental.  It’s covering all bases and having useful attributes available in each position. Much like having mehmeti and Bryan on the left hand side, two very different player but both very useful.

Not trying to get ahead of myself, but IMO that is what teams that finish in the playoffs have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Initial fee looks closer to £500k than a £1m. 

Probably a bit misleading to describe him as a "punt". He's a player in his prime who has spent the last 3 years playing at this level. Pretty much as "safe" a transfer as you can get really. 

Does he improve us? Almost certainly.
From a squad point of view, we have 2 fit senior CBs going into next season (Vyner & Naismith). So, obviously, Dickie is an improvement in terms of cover relative to having nobody.
From a starting XI point of view, he's probably an upgrade on Vyner. That's no disrespect to Vyner at all, he improved massively last season and is a decent option. However, as mentioned earlier in the thread, Dickie was being linked with £10m moves to the Premier League 12 months ago.**

** (Imagine if I'd told you 12 months ago that we'd be discussing whether Dickie starts ahead of Vyner!)

I don't think the word "punt" is an entirely false description of the transfer. In my mind a punt doesn't necessarily have to be the hit and hope business of an Arnold Garita or more recently Stefan bajic, wherein there is very little risk and a very attractive, yet difficult to obtain, upside, but rather I think we have near certainty in Dickie being an accomplished Champ level centre half, but also the possibility of him reaching levels where previous premier league interest is justified. The club are doing businesses with the safety net of securing a good standard defender, but could also hope to see this 'punt' reap greater rewards and levels than that.

I think overall, this is a very sensible but forward-thinking move for both parties and I'm glad this signing hasn't been a "saga", but something from obscurity, yet something with decent levels of thought from the club put into it.

• Like 2