IGNORED

Rob Dickie Signed (Confirmed)

GrahamC

2 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Great news once confirmed, Twitter saying: Bristol City have agreed a £1million fee (some on here suggest it’s less than that) for QPR defender, Rob Dickie. Personal terms have been agreed, and he has completed his medical.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/bristol-city-agree-seven-figure-deal-for-qpr-player-as-medical-lined-up/

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

£1m for Dickie seems quite good, for us. Experienced but still under 30

One report suggested QPR wanted him to stay but he wouldn't sign a new deal. Did he play with Atkinson at Oxford? I know he is out until the Autumn but that could help him settle in too.

He didn't, as @Davefevs alluded to the other day they were sort of a crossover. Atkinson almost Dickie's replacement, despite them playing different sides.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

£1m for Dickie seems quite good, for us. Experienced but still under 30

One report suggested QPR wanted him to stay but he wouldn't sign a new deal. Did he play with Atkinson at Oxford? I know he is out until the Autumn but that could help him settle in too.

No, they swapped out that year I believe, Sykes was there though.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, petehinton said:

QPR end saying fee is £700k….wow. Incredible business by the club 

Was this tweet?

I was gonna ask them where the extra £200k came from…McGrath quoting £1m (inc add-ons).

Looks like a case of selling club adding some pounds on to appease the fan base!

19 minutes ago, George Rs said:

We got 7m for Aden Flint????

Yep.

This strikes me as a Kalas replacement signing. With Dickie we would have him, Vyner, Atkinson and Naismith all fighting for 2 CB roles (assuming we aren't going back to a 3). All would expect to be starting. Throw Kalas into the mix and we have at least one too many senior CBs to keep everyone happy. If we sign O'Brien too then I would expect him to be playing back up at the moment. 

5 minutes ago, Dredd said:

This strikes me as a Kalas replacement signing. With Dickie we would have him, Vyner, Atkinson and Naismith all fighting for 2 CB roles (assuming we aren't going back to a 3). All would expect to be starting. Throw Kalas into the mix and we have at least one too many senior CBs to keep everyone happy. If we sign O'Brien too then I would expect him to be playing back up at the moment. 

Yep, I reckon Kalas off, which would be a shame.

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Just noticed that he may know Cam Pring too, from their Cheltenham days.

Think @Harry and crew watched Dickie around that time.

• Like 1

A lot of the comments I'm reading about him are quite negative, I know it could be sour grapes but comments like 

No pace & a very fragile mentality. Can only play in a 3 as well. Had high hopes for the lad, but after 3 years, didn't see enough to be upset at him leaving.

does surprise me as even if we sold Kalas who has barely played and probably cost us a small fortune I don't think I'd have much negative to say about him. Are we essentially doing what Middlesbrough did with us by buying a player they thought was only improving but in fact had just p[eaked and was about to decline? I'm not saying this is the case but more asking if it is as I don't know Dickie that well but I do find it odd that QPR would sell him at an age where I think CB's tend to begin their best years for as little as £1m?

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

A lot of the comments I'm reading about him are quite negative, I know it could be sour grapes but comments like 

does surprise me as even if we sold Kalas who has barely played and probably cost us a small fortune I don't think I'd have much negative to say about him. Are we essentially doing what Middlesbrough did with us by buying a player they thought was only improving but in fact had just p[eaked and was about to decline? I'm not saying this is the case but more asking if it is as I don't know Dickie that well but I do find it odd that QPR would sell him at an age where I think CB's tend to begin their best years for as little as £1m?

He’s OOC next season, isn’t signing a new one and has asked to leave. I wouldn’t listen to anything QPR fans say tbh. They are in free fall and it’s a toxic place atm.  

Would much rather listen to reputable journalists’ descriptions of him, such as….

905B324B-C02C-4755-B4D2-73CA4BBEBC66.jpeg

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Dickie and Sykes both started the league 1 playoff final. Sykes was midfield I believe

36 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Think this one may be even more important to the team than Bryan and McCrorie, though I'm keen on all three. Hoping for an announcement today ?

Saw him at Loftus Road, rangy, nasty, gurt bastard. Just what we need. We've been too nice for decades. BCFCGav says this could be the important signing, I totally agree, especially If he's mates with Sykes, he's definitely got the nasty in him. Speaking to my window cleaner whose from Belfast. He told me Sykes if from the toughest part of Belfast. Explains a lot.

• Like 1

Just now, petehinton said:

He’s OOC next season, isn’t signing a new one and has asked to leave. I wouldn’t listen to anything QPR fans say tbh. They are in free fall and it’s a toxic place atm.  

Would much rather listen to reputable journalists’ descriptions of him, such as….

I went to Fevs Football Analytics and looking at his analytics on him I think you could be right about the QPR fans, although the "only play in a back 3" concerns me as I was hoping we'd moved away from a back 3 so I'm hoping they are wrong. That aside the stats look good to me, he's tall, and has experience, I 'm really hoping it is just sour grapes from the QPR fans.

oxi0vGb.jpg

5 minutes ago, Spike said:

A-typical selling club fan’s view, and recency bias.

QPR played a back 4 for 60% of 20/21 season (Dickie alongside Barbet)…but did play back 3 in 21/22 all season.  At Oxford in 19/20 he played in a back 4 (with Mousinho) and that earned his move to QPR for £2.5m

Reasons for selling (some factual, some my speculation):

• one year left on his contract, doesn’t want to sign a new deal
  • QPR are skint, need to trade
  • Ainsworth style of football not to his wishes
  • QPR trajectory ⬇️⬇️⬇️
8 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Nothing more frightening that a marauding Dickie!

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Spike said:

Fair questions.

But he was their player of the season a year or two ago, some of them have short memories.

Also, he was playing in an awful team on a dreadful run of form with three managers in and out the door and he didn't want to stay there.

I'll be ignoring anything from their supporters and trust in the fact their current manager wanted him to stay and our management appear to know what they are doing.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Spike said:

I went to Fevs Football Analytics and looking at his analytics on him I think you could be right about the QPR fans, although the "only play in a back 3" concerns me as I was hoping we'd moved away from a back 3 so I'm hoping they are wrong. That aside the stats look good to me, he's tall, and has experience, I 'm really hoping it is just sour grapes from the QPR fans.

oxi0vGb.jpg

Could we be moving back to a 3? Would also suit Joe Bryan? Tanner might need some adjusting to it but it also suits Wilson

1 minute ago, Winterstoke toad said:

Haven’t read this whole thread so not sure if mentioned before but does anyone else think we could be switching back to 3 at the back with wing backs . Dickie is apparently at his best in a 3 and with the supposed signing of Bryan could pring play cb/ compete for wingback with Bryan .

By signing versatile players it means we can swap formations quite easily. E.g You can have Pring LCB and Bryan LWB or Pring LB and Bryan LM

• Like 6

So basically QPR aren't that bothered after a poor season or so which coincides with their whole team being dreadful. Regardless of their opinnions I would much rather trust professional scouts and NP who is aware since he's been here how to turn that around. Atkinson, Vyner, McCrorie and Dickie as options at the back as well as Pring and Naismith is very good. Quite excited!

27 minutes ago, Spike said:

Happens at every club.  Look at some of the comments on Massengo's thread. 

Some fans forget players can develop and thrive in some teams more than others (all depends on the management, coaching, atmosphere in the squad etc etc plus how they/family settle in the area). 

He could get back to his best here (or not), same as every player that struggles when they leave us.

Too many fans have a narrow Football Manager game mentality.

Edited by Loco Rojo
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Dredd said:

Could we be moving back to a 3? Would also suit Joe Bryan? Tanner might need some adjusting to it but it also suits Wilson

I really hope not, 3-5-2/5-3-2 requires certain things:

1) Strikers who can win crosses and feed off of crosses rather than passes to feet. - We don't have any
2) Central midfielders who can drive at players or make passes through the middle that split defenses - We don't have any
3) Very high-quality wing backs who can not only cross but can do the defensive side effectively. - Pring, Tanner to a degree.
4) Strikers who look to make the run off of the shoulder of the defender in a central position - We have a couple but we're missing the players to make the passes to them (2)
5) Center Backs who are comfortable on the ball and not too relaxed when put under pressure. - Vyner had a better season but when pressured was still making dangerous passes or mistakes, Atkinson can do this so long as he's fit and we're yet to see Dickie in that position should he sign.

All in all I feel the reason we never made 3-5-2/ 5-3-2 work was because we didn't have the threatening passes through the middle of the pitch so the opposition knew we'd work it wide and cross in where we had next to no strikers who feed off of high crosses, so instead we'd try cutbacks and low fast crosses which were very hit and miss. If I was playing against us in a 3-5-2/5-3-2 I'd have Pring marked tightly, keep Scott from receiving the ball by prioritising passing lanes to him being blocked off and short of a fast counter City would be toothless. I'd also target Vyner if he wasn't playing in the middle of the back 3 because in that RCB role his positioning is pulled out far too easily which leaves gaps behind him. One of the best changes Perason made was going back to a flat 4 as Vyner positions himself better with a right back next to him rather than pushing up the wing, he looks both sides and essentially sits in the middle of the Right Back and Center Back, but when he's in that 3 and the RWB pushes high he begins to come central, too close to the cental CB which opens a pocket for the opposition to counter in.

If we go back to the back 3 I think Pring will also end up being the LCB if we bring Bryan back which IMO would be such a waste as when he's allowed to go forward and push towards players he is a handful and will only get better should he be allowed to do it more.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Spike said:

oxi0vGb.jpg

19 minutes ago, Dredd said:

I don’t think so. We said the same about Vyner. We probably said it about Pring. They both played very well in a two for large portions of the season. Still depends on whats in front of you and what you are being asked to do imo. 

43 minutes ago, Spike said:

oxi0vGb.jpg

Here’s his data from 20/21 when QPR played with a back 4 for a decent part of the season:

IMG_7548.thumb.jpeg.ce24d1d29e1b091e7ffc60fb12f4b54d.jpegIMG_7551.thumb.jpeg.2fdaa950c88a659bfc0cfc5498d09aa5.jpegIMG_7552.thumb.jpeg.b990fcb5e8d8312ea9d2261da6527b78.jpeg

the one-pager views only came into effect from 21/22, so I don’t have similar presentation.  He can easily play in a back 4 as far as I’m concerned.  Don’t forget most players of his age will’ve grown up playing / developing in a back 4, so the reversion from back 3 to 4 isn’t an issue per se.

10 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Just realised Dickie was signed for Chelt by one...Gary Johnson!!

My Chelt supporting mate has been raving about Caleb Taylor this season. On loan from WBA.

If we didn’t get O’Brien, I’d like us to try and twist West Brom’s arm for this lad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1