IGNORED

Pearson and Tanner Pre Hull.

petehinton

For me there's just too many questions that are not able to be answered by anyone on here to jump to some of the conclusions that have been made?

1. Do we know for sure NP and the club are not discussing a new contract?
  2. What was the areas of the squad that were decided, by the club, to strengthen this summer?
  3. How many additions, did the club, decide we ideally need this summer?
  4. What is our current wage bill, why was that number chosen and how close our we to the limit of where that needs to be?
  5. In relation to 4, how are our accounts? Anyone actually had a look, not just guessing "x" has come in so we have "y" to spend.
  6. Why are we pursuing the now almost 2 year old plan of running in a more financially sustainable way?
  7. How does the club, and more importantly SL, define sustainable?
  8. What is our current injury situation? Who is out and when exactly do we expect them back?
  9. Anyone been told by SL what he thinks of NP?
  10. Anyone know the latest on any potential new investors?
  11. What are SL's real expectations this season?

I mean I could go on and on - my point is these are all questions that have been asked, and answered on OTIB, as if gospel, in order to draw conclusions.

It's all good discussion - on the face of it, maybe we've signed the players (in numbers) we want to sign, shifted some excess and slimmed down the squad to where we want it to be, hence no more signings - I haven't heard the club say we need x more players recently. In reality pretty much every player out has been matched back in, either through transfers or academy. 

Surely, just throwing more money at it, again, is taking a step backwards? Blow the budget again, don't go up and square one?

Isn't the plan sustainable development, even if it's slower and takes a few years? Perhaps the club are, you know, dare I say, saving the money, to spread its use, rather than just splurging in a one week flurry?!

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

38 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The optimum squad size is the one that is good enough to get promoted. This ain’t it.

I don’t care about the numbers. I care about the quality. We’ve just had a massive cash injection of £25,000,000 on top of £10,000,000 earlier this year. If we can’t spend some money now to add proper quality to the squad that will enable us to compete, when can we?

If we need to shift a few out as well then so be it. I’m sick to death of us being average.

I think we can net off top 2 tbh. Realistically the best we can hope for under the current model of football finance distribution aligned with financial regs IMO is playoffs.

I'd argue though that £10-15m should be put back in of the Scott money.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

I’ve read the last six pages with interest, but I’m still not sure if there is any concrete evidence for anything suggested.  Interesting, though occasionally far-fetched, stuff though.  However, the one thing I do believe, and this is from talking to people who know Pearson better than I do (I’ve only spoken to him once) is that it is unlikely that anyone can pull the wool over his eyes.  Pearson is not a man to be taken in.  The prospect of Scott departing is something that Pearson accepted a long time ago, and I believe the strategy for using the proceeds would also have been known at the time.  I simply do not believe that Pearson expected to be able to spend money which he finds is not now the case.

If Pearson is hacked off I think it more likely that he feels he has assembled a decent squad which significantly underperformed last Saturday.  He must also be frustrated with the injury situation.   And he’s notoriously crabby at press conferences.

Edited by The Dolman Pragmatist
  • Like 10
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, Shuffle said:

That’s fine & you should work on premise of 2 players for every position so at face value we look fine. The reality is that at GK we have 2 understudy’s who have never played a league game & have Atkinson, Conway out until November & Benarous out again after 2 ACL injuries & unfortunately we have McCrorie out for an unspecified period.  That’s before you add in other injuries that will happen on top of the above & suspensions.  I think we all know we are light & even if we have numbers in certain positions the jury is still out regarding quality. Just seems we are taking an avoidable risk. Nobody is expecting multiple signings but to stop at TGH is crazy although I know you agree.

Just for reference at least we know whose decision this was now if results are iffy.

Those saying last week we need 5 or 6 players will soon be blaming a manager who is operating under a far tighter regime than one of his predecessors.

I wondered when Bajic was included on the bench on Saturday if NP was trying to maximise what we had but there cannot be another team in the division with so little experience in the goalkeeping department.

Not changed my view that we need a change of owner & chairman far more than we need a change of manager.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 9
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 4

Something doesn't add up, I'd we had a plan with Alex Scott andwe weren't intent on selling him then how is this the plan without him?

Same comment applies regarding us bring at the absolute limit of our wage bill after 3 years of major reductions in numbers and high earners departing yet after shifting AS who would have been on £8k /week max we are at the limit...all a bit strange.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@Hxj out of interest, I agree that Nige is aware of the financial constraints, but do you think that selling Scott might’ve led to some budget adjustment?

My original response seems to have disappeared, so let's try again.

I am sure it has, but announcing that you have £x million to spend results in 'Oh - everyone has doubled in price'.  On a simple level I think that the recruitment since Pearson has taken over has been above average.  There will always be players that fail, given the pool we paddle in, but generally things have been good.

We all know that Pearson likes to run a lean squad and likes to promote from within.  All in line with what Lansdown says.  I also note that Lansdown has been criticised on here for stating that Luton were promoted whilst spending less than Bristol City did, why criticise someone for telling the truth?

I had the privilege of being in the same room as Pearson when he managed Leicester City, and listening to him as a person.  He loved playing football and loves being a manager.  He isn't motivated by talking b******** or money.  He wouldn't be at Bristol City if he didn't want to be.

Coincidentally I went to a Group Board meeting today.  The owner/chairman (who paddles in the same wealth pool as Lansdown) said that he didn't like me, didn't see the point of what I did, but really appreciated what I was doing for the group and that you should never recruit people you like.

Edited by Hxj
  • Like 1

The we can't compete rhetoric really did get to me. 

If that's the case, why even say it? Any even remotely talented player will look at us as a club going backwards, not on the up.

And I'm sorry, the way in which we are made to feel a burden for wanting investment and quality in our squad by Pearson, the fact it all seems too much of an effort and the fact we want to progress and he's doing us a favour just grinds my gears.

And I'm a pearson in guy! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

This situation is painful to watch

An absent and, on present evidence, disinterested owner

An excuse for a Board led by another disinterested family member

Owner desperately seeking a buyer - but for what?  City or Bristol Sport

What annoys me most is the total disregard for the fan base, which will still be here, come hell and high water.  Anyone worth their salt would make a full statement on the present and future of City.

I feel ashamed on behalf of City for the way the enormous effort put in by NP to sort the mess out on the football side is ignored by the owner and Chair.  I, for one, believe he is one of the best managers I have seen in over 70 years of following City.  How he keeps optimistic is a mystery to me, so from one older fan, Thanks for everything Nige, but above all thanks for giving us hope.

Took my wife and kids to the game last week (she is a season ticket holder at a top PL club). £44 it cost us for a seat in the Lansdown to watch an average champ game. All I will say is she came away saying surely we are all ready for an ownership change. It’s same old same old.  Great legacy, not being ungrateful, but it’s time for new blood in BS3 and I’m not talking about the management who I think are the best we’ve had in some time, but will be made scapegoats. 

Edited by Shauntaylor85
  • Flames 1

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think we can net off top 2 tbh. Realistically the best we can hope for under the current model of football finance distribution aligned with financial regs IMO is playoffs.

I'd argue though that £10-15m should be put back in of the Scott money.

The manager doesn’t have a surname of Johnson. Amazing really how such a poor coach was given such a crazy amount of cash to waste. I really feel Nigel P has had to deal with so much and just feels little respect is shown in return. Whatever happens I will stand and applaud Nige the day he goes. Saved the club from inevitable relegation back to League One. Just feel disappointment that we haven’t backed a proven manager at this level enough. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 3
  • Robin 1

9 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

The manager doesn’t have a surname of Johnson. Amazing really how such a poor coach was given such a crazy amount of cash to waste. I really feel Nigel P has had to deal with so much and just feels little respect is shown in return. Whatever happens I will stand and applaud Nige the day he goes. Saved the club from inevitable relegation back to League One. Just feel disappointment that we haven’t backed a proven manager at this level enough. 

Don't fully agree about the Johnson or bust thesis as far as backing goes, but totally agree- NP will be missed when he goes, he has done some real heavy lifting both reshaping the squad, rebuilding confidence and accepting less money to work with year on year, window on window.

I really hope we back him as far as possible in a way that complies with all applicable regs. £10-15m of the Scott £25m back in? If NP wanted a bit less to save up for future years and windows by all means but he should be granted £10-15m of that to spend as he sees fit.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I’ve seen a fair few comments saying that perhaps SL isn’t providing Nige with any more funds and is keeping them for the next manager. 

I think this theory can be disproven in one sense, but could be totally logical in another. 

Allow me to explain. 

Nige has worked very closely with every area of the club to produce an ‘identity’. I know, there’s that word again, but please bear with me ?

Work has gone in between the recruitment  team, analysts, scouts, Tinnion, Nige and his staff and the CEO into creating a playing philosophy. This is the so-called high intensity pressing game, a philosophy that is actually very very detailed (I’ve seen it) which defines what we want to see not just in terms of simple stylistics but detailed enough to define the desired number of seconds to win the ball back. 

A tonne of work has gone in over 3 years to not only define that detailed philosophy, but also to ensure recruitment is aligned to it. This means that by and large pretty much most of the signings we target must in some way fit this philosophy. 

So - bearing this in mind, any new players incoming won’t just be players that “Nige wants” it will be players that have been watched for a lengthy period of time to decipher whether they can fit the philosophy. 

This is where the theory of “Steve is saving the money for a new manager” is a flawed theory. Simply because, if this is our ongoing philosophy then any new manager would also need to fit in with this, and the recruitment targets would be the same players we’ve been monitoring for long periods. So it makes no sense that we wouldn’t sign someone just because Nige is still here, because the philosophy would dictate that the same player would still be a target under a new boss. 

So, that’s the bit where the theory of SL keeping hold of the cash falls down. 

Now for the bit where it actually could make perfect sense. 
Steve Lansdown, over multiple decades now, has regularly lurched from one model to the next at the drop of a hat.

After the last 3 years of working on the latest philosophy, he’s just as likely to completely change it altogether under a new manager. So, all that behind the scenes work of attempting to align everything could very likely just be thrown up in the air again by a new managerial appointment and Steve is re-convinced that the new man is the next messiah and has the kahuna’s to get us to the promised land. 

So yes, there is every chance that SL is storing up the cash for a new manager next season, but only on the assumption that he’s prepared to discard his latest blueprint for success. 

Watch this space…….. 

that’s a good summary.

He’s tried the first scenario, but his concept of continuity doesn’t ever seem to extend beyond an internal appointment. And they’ve been pretty disastrous. So you’d have to reckon on the likelihood of a random next appointment, which may well be another complete about turn.

And if that’s really what’s going to happen then I suppose the consolation is that there’s some sense in keeping the war chest for the next man (or woman). Who knows, being devil’s advocate, maybe it’s not even SLs choice: NL has talked about life after football recently, maybe he’s said something to SL? 

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

Surely, just throwing more money at it, again, is taking a step backwards? Blow the budget again, don't go up and square one?

Isn't the plan sustainable development, even if it's slower and takes a few years? Perhaps the club are, you know, dare I say, saving the money, to spread its use, rather than just splurging in a one week flurry?!

Firstly didn’t delete the rest of your post by way of ignoring it, just thought this bit was the pertinent bit for me.

I certainly don’t want us throwing money at it, nor am I one that works on a basis of - we’ve raised £20-25m, Nige can expect to spend x% of it on transfer fees.

You’ll know from my posts that I know it doesn’t work like that, in fact Nige says exactly that earlier today.

What has come as a surprise is that it appears from what Nige has said is that the wage budget is constrained around the current cost of the squad wage bill, ie we are at / near the max.

Based on the kind of slashes we’ve seen over the last 2.5 years and again this summer (Kalas, Moore, Massengo, Dasilva, etc), it seems like the imposed (and I assumed accepted by Nige) budget, and Nige talks wage budget specifically, has been set pretty low for where we are aiming.

Thats the bit I’m struggling to square off.  However…⬇️⬇️⬇️

53 minutes ago, Hxj said:

My original response seems to have disappeared, so let's try again.

I am sure it has, but announcing that you have £x million to spend results in 'Oh - everyone has doubled in price'.  On a simple level I think that the recruitment since Pearson has taken over has been above average.  There will always be players that fail, given the pool we paddle in, but generally things have been good.

We all know that Pearson likes to run a lean squad and likes to promote from within.  All in line with what Lansdown says.  I also note that Lansdown has been criticised on here for stating that Luton were promoted whilst spending less than Bristol City did, why criticise someone for telling the truth?

I had the privilege of being in the same room as Pearson when he managed Leicester City, and listening to him as a person.  He loved playing football and loves being a manager.  He isn't motivated by talking b******** or money.  He wouldn't be at Bristol City if he didn't want to be.

Coincidentally I went to a Group Board meeting today.  The owner/chairman (who paddles in the same wealth pool as Lansdown) said that he didn't like me, didn't see the point of what I did, but really appreciated what I was doing for the group and that you should never recruit people you like.

…if you’re saying that this is Nige “boxing clever” to avoid Alex-tax, and budget has been increased (by however much, it doesn’t matter the amount) then it doesn’t feel that way.  Maybe Nige has a tremendous Poker Face.  I get that he’s smart.

If so, great.  Fingers crossed.

Re Luton, a correction / addition - SL actually said our players were far more talented bunch than theirs.  That is one helluva statement to make.  1) I disagree, 2) it shows poor recognition of the talent in their team and 3) seems incredibly outcome orientated and ignorant of the process / journey Luton went on to get there.

At least in your final anecdote the owner / chairman gave you some credit for what you do!

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 2
  • Robin 1

I thought it Interesting at the end of the Nige Presser I caught today. Nige particularly went on about in both Preston and Brum game. How when we did break and where able to attack players just did not want the ball and where not brave enough to attack on the opportunities that opened up.

Now he seemed a bit narked by that and rightfully so. 

Bit worrying if we have players who don't have the bravery to play the game 

8 hours ago, cityexile said:

We are all speculating a bit, and maybe that is the case. There is also I think a non zero chance that SL does not want to push the boat out any more….full stop. For any manager.

In my opinion, this seems to be the situation at hand. It appears that his enthusiasm has waned, likely due to the constant barrage of criticism (some unacceptable person abuse)he and his son receives . Considering these factors, I believe it would be in the best interest of everyone involved for SL to take the initiative in selling the club (step up). From what I gather, he might already be moving in that direction.

Quick question for everyone though. What would everyone’s thoughts be if a Saudi owner put in a bid? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Firstly didn’t delete the rest of your post by way of ignoring it, just thought this bit was the pertinent bit for me.

I certainly don’t want us throwing money at it, nor am I one that works on a basis of - we’ve raised £20-25m, Nige can expect to spend x% of it on transfer fees.

You’ll know from my posts that I know it doesn’t work like that, in fact Nige says exactly that earlier today.

What has come as a surprise is that it appears from what Nige has said is that the wage budget is constrained around the current cost of the squad wage bill, ie we are at / near the max.

Based on the kind of slashes we’ve seen over the last 2.5 years and again this summer (Kalas, Moore, Massengo, Dasilva, etc), it seems like the imposed (and I assumed accepted by Nige) budget, and Nige talks wage budget specifically, has been set pretty low for where we are aiming.

Thats the bit I’m struggling to square off.  However…⬇️⬇️⬇️

…if you’re saying that this is Nige “boxing clever” to avoid Alex-tax, and budget has been increased (by however much, it doesn’t matter the amount) then it doesn’t feel that way.  Maybe Nige has a tremendous Poker Face.  I get that he’s smart.

If so, great.  Fingers crossed.

Re Luton, a correction / addition - SL actually said our players were far more talented bunch than theirs.  That is one helluva statement to make.  1) I disagree, 2) it shows poor recognition of the talent in their team and 3) seems incredibly outcome orientated and ignorant of the process / journey Luton went on to get there.

At least in your final anecdote the owner / chairman gave you some credit for what you do!

That’s exactly where I am.

I (unlike some on here) was never expecting some spending spree as a result of the Scott sale but the level of cost reduction is stark & even with McCrorie, Dickie & Knight joining, the wages saved from the Chelsea 3 alone, plus many others, Bentley, Baker, Martin, Klose etc must be significant & that’s before you look at the £35m raised by sales.

I agree with much of what @Harry says but it just seems like he operating with even greater restrictions than are necessary & you cannot escape the feeling that as SL rarely says anything positive about him at all these 2 things aren’t unrelated.

Just to focus on the goalkeeper situation again, LJ was allowed to waste money by SL on shite like Gilmartin as a third keeper, now we don’t even have a deputy with any real experience.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 3

1 hour ago, Ghost Rider said:

In my opinion, this seems to be the situation at hand. It appears that his enthusiasm has waned, likely due to the constant barrage of criticism (some unacceptable person abuse)he and his son receives . Considering these factors, I believe it would be in the best interest of everyone involved for SL to take the initiative in selling the club (step up). From what I gather, he might already be moving in that direction.

Quick question for everyone though. What would everyone’s thoughts be if a Saudi owner put in a bid? 

No thanks. I don’t want my club funded through sportwashing. I’m desperate for City to be successful, but not at any price.

• Like 4

Maybe I've misunderstood, but with FFP does it not make sense to reinvest money ASAP so you can maximise the benefit?

As in, we could pay decent fees and offer a couple of decent 3 year contracts at this point safely due to the 3 year cycle. If we ditch Nige and spend the money instead in 18 months time instead we're semi limited to 18 months or we'd have bigger contracts persisting outside of the Scott money period, which then makes us dependent on another sale.

I'm not saying spend it all, but there is some argument there right?

Clearly you don't want to smash your wage budget or destabilise the current squad, but I'm surprised it doesn't ebb and flow a bit with income - as long as it's done so you're not needing to sell to sustain things.

Edit: although I suppose the wages are over time and the incoming money is a one off so it doesn't work like that exactly

Edited by IAmNick

10 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Absolutely.

Which is why, when you lose 9 games in a row (the worst run of defeats in our entire history) or you're 2nd at Xmas and finish 11th or when you're 5th with 6 games to go but only win 1 more and blow the playoffs, the last thing you should do is "allow sentiment to rule". 

Oh wait....

If there's one thing Lansdown has done in all his time it's precisely that - allow sentiment to rule.

I agree, though, it's no way to run a business. 

The fact he'll likely not renew Pearson's contract and get rid of him instead is just another example of that - allowing sentiment to drive the decision (this time his antipathy to the manager, as opposed to his love in with Lee Johnson) rather than basing his decision on whether Pearson is best qualified for the job. 

Given we have a team of basically young uns learning as they go, and a budget that doesn't allow profligate spending, who better to steer our club forward than Pearson - someone who's a brilliant man-manager and who prides himself on never having spent much money anyway?

But will Guernsey see it that way? 

I'm not so sure that you are describing sentiment. Emotion and ego perhaps, but not sentiment, not by my understanding of the word anyway. What I see come out of the pattern you describe is a desire to have your decisions vindicated, and a desire to believe that other people think you have made the right decision.

I suspect that again, this season we will see Lansdown say to himself "Pearson's job is done, my decision to bring him in is vindicated, people will see I was right." Now I will make another decision.

I do think another factor is Pearson's own desire to continue, I think his recent interviews indicate that is looking at life post football, and it may not much to make the decision for him.

Either way, the sentimental choice would be to say, "Oh look at Nige, he's so good with the young ones, he's so good at man-managing people that he keeps around him, not those nasty boys he sells or lets go, he's done such a tough job in very trying circumstances, let's all gather round the campfire and hand him a two year deal written on the back of that Kumbaya song sheet. How lovely for everyone."

25 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I (unlike some on here) was never expecting some spending spree as a result of the Scott sale but the level of cost reduction is stark & even with McCrorie, Dickie & Knight joining, the wages saved from the Chelsea 3 alone, plus many others, Bentley, Baker, Martin, Klose etc must be significant & that’s before you look at the £35m raised by sales.

I agree with much of what @Harry says but it just seems like he operating with even greater restrictions than are necessary & you cannot escape the feeling that as SL rarely says anything positive about him at all these 2 things aren’t unrelated.

Just to focus on the goalkeeper situation again, LJ was allowed to waste money by SL on shite like Gilmartin as a third keeper, now we don’t even have a deputy with any real experience.

About 9 goalkeepers was it? Geifer, Lucic, Marinovic, Steele, O’Donnel, Bentley, Nikki M, Begovic and Gilmartin. Have I missed any?

All that while Frankie was already here and Max was coming through. Definitely not backed to the hilt was LJ, oh no. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

19 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

This is what I can’t get my head around, at all, as well. Maybe it’s too simplistic, but imo it seems very much like we’d rather keep it stored for January / the new manager next summer. Maybe they see next seasons championship / the one after / the one after that (I dunno) as weaker and therefore better opportunity to ‘go for it’?

I found it very odd and confusing that SL in his Guernsey Press interview said ‘we’d already spent some of the Alex money before he went preemptively’ (assuming that was mostly summer incomings), yet Pearson was clear he wanted Knight and Scott to play together, and Tinnion said we had transfer plan for Alex staying and Alex going. Pretty much none of those scenarios seem to have happened one way or another. Couple that with Steve effectively saying he stepped in to manage the sale of Alex himself….

As @Harry articulated, it seems we’re finally in a position where we have a structure and ‘way’ and the next manager will have to fit that. Perfect. Exactly how it should be.

Have a DOF/SD help define a way of playing, and you drop managers in who suit that, ala MK Dons, Swansea, even Reading, at an EFL level who’ve had real success having a ‘way’ for many years. I just have absolutely no faith that SL wont want to go for a new shiny thing next time around.

My only hope is we now have Tinnion who can have a real say and articulate why we need X person as they fit our style, but as SL says it’s his club and he can overrule. Maybe he’ll finally allow Robins to manage the club at the forth time of trying and 11 years later, and try to pass it off as a master stroke underground appointment.

I can’t recall a manager here ever running their contract down, let alone being in a position where they have less than a season left on it. That + the little noise about a renewal + a limited budget despite huge incomings + little public acknowledgement from SL all seems to point to one thing for me. I’d be pretty astonished, but very very happy, if Nige got an extension.  

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

Were there not posts and no doubt comments from fans and the club that we "dont need to sell AS for anything less than 25m" yet now it seems we were in fact desperate for the income and the coffers are empty even after that considerable income :dunno:

We have also off loaded quite a few high earners and taken others on/back on reduced wages,

YET despite our money earning new stad we are still up to our limit and cant afford NO MORE well we really are stuffed then, boringly boring way to go, prem here we come......in about another 100yrs.

12 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

The only reason Lansdown should offer Pearson a new contract is if he thinks that Pearson is the best man for the job next season. Steering us through a difficult reset without relegation does earn respect, but that shouldn't earn a contract for the future. To do as you say is to allow sentiment to rule, and that is not how this Club should be run in my opinion.

If he doesn't think Pearson is the best man for next season then use the next 9 months to build a solid foundation, with a decent squad, that has room to be developed as a new manager sees fit, and to consider who that next person should be.

How would steve Lansdown know what constitutes a good manager? HE has no clue football wise!

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

10 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Well, NP is certainly letting the support base know where the problem lies...

Without actually pointing a finger...

I agree.

One of the comments he made that was telling for me was “I’m not expecting to be told there is scope to do anything else.”.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, johnbytheriver said:

How would steve Lansdown know what constitutes a good manager? HE has no clue football wise!

Firstly, is that true? He's been responsible for appointing the two managers who've achieved our two highest finishes in decades. He appointed the man who got us a League and Cup double in 2014/15, and he appointed the incumbent, a man who some have declared to be the best manager we've had for a very long time, and who many believe should receive a contract extension as reward for the great job he's done.

Secondly, if we assume that your statement is true, then perhaps the answer is to conduct a search during a calm period of handover, rather than a hurried appointment made in the aftermath of a sacking. Sackings normally come after a bad run of results. There is stress, pressure, noise, and distraction. Why not conduct the search for the successor in a world where those factors are lessened? It might yield a different result?

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

12 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Sorry but this is complete rubbish. I’ve just watched the interview & he’s exactly the same as every other interview. So many bedwetters reading into things that are not there. 
as for some crying about signings . He’s said again what’s been said all along . We’re at the top end of our wage budget . Please tell me where he’s so unhappy on this interview, complete tripe . 

On another note , where this “rumour” that SL won’t renew NP’s contract . 

It was a poor result of course on Saturday but some of the hysteria on here is ******* laughable . 

Thats your opinion. Nobody knows anything as a fact, how do you know what I’m saying is complete rubbish? Do you know Nigel Pearson personally?  I said i ‘feel’ this could be the beginning of the end, it’s a personal feeling an opinion that I’m entitled too. I may be wrong and i hope i am as i want Pearson here for the long term. To come out with such a strong ‘its complete rubbish’ statement is laughable actually. I’d imagine you know **** all about what is actually going on inside of the football club just like the rest of us.

As for your last point on the contract situation - as another poster wrote, Lansdown has form of lurching from one philosophy to another. God knows what is going through Lansdown’s head at the moment, if his last interview is anything to go by then i would be worried.

Random ramblings about trying to copy other clubs that have no similarities to our club worries me, the man is seriously deluded and i genuinely feel that he could once again lurch to a complete different way of thinking which doesn’t include Pearson as being a part of it. We shall see what happens in the coming months, certainly no bedwetting from me. Im a realist and nothing would surprise me with Lansdown and Junior at the helm.

Edited by Bris Red
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Which is entirely normal between an owner and manager. 

I agree that it's normal for owner and manager to disagree behind closed doors, but to publicly state it (when teed up to praise NP) is telling, I think. Absolutely fine for you to think it's normal that SL is unable to say anything positive about NP. Maybe SL is just really bad at expressing himself, but he was very capable of praising Mark Ashton.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Firstly, is that true? He's been responsible for appointing the two managers who've achieved our two highest finishes in decades. He appointed the man who got us a League and Cup double in 2014/15, and he appointed the incumbent, a man who some have declared to be the best manager we've had for a very long time, and who many believe should receive a contract extension as reward for the great job he's done.

Secondly, if we assume that your statement is true, then perhaps the answer is to conduct a search during a calm period of handover, rather than a hurried appointment made in the aftermath of a sacking. Sackings normally come after a bad run of results. There is stress, pressure, noise, and distraction. Why not conduct the search for the successor in a world where those factors are lessened? It might yield a different result?

I've said for a while now, I'm surprised no one has come up with a programme of analysis on coaches and managers. 

We have analysis and scouts for players, but as far as I'm aware, there is nothing on the market that details coaches and managers.