IGNORED

Lansdown

frenchred

Frustrated with what I read re Lansdown. Like most/all I know nothing about the inner workings of the club and like most I would love to know more!  However given what I do know and what I see elsewhere I am convinced we are better with than without.  Do we really want someone who sees us a a ‘project’?  There are many clubs who welcome owners buying them and then fans in short order realising they are worse off. 
Devil you know….

Edited by Nuno Gomes
  • Like 7

Just now, Nuno Gomes said:

Frustrated with what I read re Lansdown. Like most/all I know nothing about the inner workings of the club and like most I would love to know more!  However given what I do know and what I see elsewhere I am convinced we are better with than without.  Do we really want someone who sees us a a ‘project’?  There are many clubs who resent owners buying them and fans in short order realising they are worse off. 
Devil you know….

And another accepting, well nothing!

• Facepalm 4

2 hours ago, tin said:

You’re spot on about Nige sorting the culture, but that is restricted to on the field only. Think about what Nige has achieved in two-and-a-half years and compare that to the culture and strategy SL has implemented off the field — there is none, and has never been any for 20+ years and the buck stops with Steve.

That’s reflected in a lack of vision, a lack of appointing the right people to the right positions at the right times, a real lack of any succession planning, woeful communication and much more. 

And if SL had the slightest clue about football, why hasn’t given a smidgen of praise to Nige and Tins? And why hasn’t he secured Nige’s future? If it’s because he challenges SL’s views, that won’t wash with me and I hope it won’t wash with others either. Thats not good enough.

You’ve completely your hat-trick. 👍🏻

39 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Notder Furher, it's the bloke sat down out of Sparks

And we all know this “town ain’t big enough for the both of us”!!!

• Haha 1

Just seen Lansdown is doing a Q&A session for the bears before Fridays fixture?

Should he not be doing the same for the fans of the football club or is he currently avoiding this at all costs as he knows he isn’t as well backed at the moment as in previous years?

the underlying belly of emotion towards him currently certainly seems to be very rocky at best.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

On 06/10/2023 at 16:25, GrahamC said:

Re that last bit, not a chance. Though to be fair when he was on 3 Peeps, it was basically “is there anything you want to tell your grateful subjects?”.

This argument boils down to this, a few keyboard warriors are ***** so he shouldn’t engage with the vast majority of our 20,000 crowds who clearly aren’t. Rugby fans are civilised, we’re shaved apes.

Basically this argument is another variation on “if SL leaves then we’ll get owners like Sheffield Wednesday have”.

Excuse me unshaved ape here 

8 hours ago, gibbo7 said:

Just seen Lansdown is doing a Q&A session for the bears before Fridays fixture?

Should he not be doing the same for the fans of the football club or is he currently avoiding this at all costs as he knows he isn’t as well backed at the moment as in previous years?

the underlying belly of emotion towards him currently certainly seems to be very rocky at best.

Thoughts?

He certainly is avoiding having any real dialect with the fanbase IMO. As others have said he doesn’t react well when put under pressure and a Q&A session at this present moment has the potential to turn quite toxic. He has probably been advised to give it a wide berth.

The tide has quite clearly turned on SL but a few of the comments over the past few weeks/months have been bang out of order imo.

He's still human at the end of the day, one who almost certainly has been well-intentioned throughout his tenure, even if success hasn't come in the form that we'd like. By all means criticise performance, decisions, and the rest, but a few of the personal things are a step too far tbh.

• Like 18

2 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

The tide has quite clearly turned on SL but a few of the comments over the past few weeks/months have been bang out of order imo.

He's still human at the end of the day, one who almost certainly has been well-intentioned throughout his tenure, even if success hasn't come in the form that we'd like. By all means criticise performance, decisions, and the rest, but a few of the personal things are a step too far tbh.

Please enlighten us with examples of anything written on this forum that has been either 'bang out of order' or 'personal things taken a step too far.'

8 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Please enlighten us with examples of anything written on this forum that has been either 'bang out of order' or 'personal things taken a step too far.'

There's absolutely no need for the rudeness 👍 The OP was probably a bit inappropriate. But mainly there were plenty of examples during the meltdown on lack of spending around deadline day, it is 8am and I am not going to trawl through for you. I just think we'd do best to stick to fair criticisms (of which there are plenty) rather than personal digs and insults.

Edited by nebristolred

Personally I have no interest in hearing from the Lansdowns unless they have something of significance to report.  Jon, bless him, is totally out of his depth ( viz ...

)

and I've heard so many different fantasy futures from Steve over the years about how we're going to be the next Brighton, Bournemouth, Brentford, Luton or whatever other small town or city's club has made it to the top.

So unless there is something of serious note, let them languish in their tax free havens while the rest of us struggle and make do with the mid table mediocrity weve got used to under their reign.

• Like 2

On 06/10/2023 at 13:56, ExiledAjax said:

It's precisely because of that lurch in strategy that I wouldn't expect a director to attend. 

Anyway as far as BCFC Limited is concerned, Tinnion is as much a director as Rawcliffe.

I agree it's poor.

We just need Lansdown to sell up as this football club is stagnating currently. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fisherrich said:

We just need Lansdown to sell up as this football club is stagnating currently. 

Either that or he/they need some sort of epiphany soon, whereby they appoint the right people in the right roles behind the scenes and start to spend some of the cash football made (the latter was promised).

Sadly, after more than two decades, we’ve got more chance of seeing Elvis riding Shergar down Winterstoke Road than them wising up any time soon, and selling up cannot come soon enough IMO. The club has been gripped by inertia for too long.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

I think SL has had a remarkably easy ride tbh. I don’t condone violence or threats whatsoever but consider the abuse that the Everton, West Ham and Man U owners have been on the end of (whilst playing premier league football) I.e. death threats, told to keep away from the ground by police and various ongoing action by the Man U green &  gold lot. I think we can all agree the aforementioned clubs have enjoyed a bit more success than us over the years. 

10 minutes ago, Cidre Monita said:

I think SL has had a remarkably easy ride tbh. I don’t condone violence or threats whatsoever but consider the abuse that the Everton, West Ham and Man U owners have been on the end of (whilst playing premier league football) I.e. death threats, told to keep away from the ground by police and various ongoing action by the Man U green &  gold lot. I think we can all agree the aforementioned clubs have enjoyed a bit more success than us over the years. 

He's played a blinder extending his stand all the way back. No more car park to protest in like the good old days behind the Grandstand.

Clever bloke is R Steve.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

On 06/10/2023 at 13:21, Mr Popodopolous said:

Only the OP can explain but I assume they mean that Q&A from rugby fans will be more genteel, more friendly- easier ride than us given the activity post Scott and the sense of drift.

I really am at a loss regarding the criticism of SL. He has poured lots of his own money into the club writing off huge sums. We are still not profitable and so each year he has to write a cheque. Who of us if we won the Euro millions would take on a club where after 5 years we would be broke. Clearly people of this wealth become involved in sport as a hobby. A very expensive one at that. It seems he has played enough with the toy and wants to sell it, quite understandably but is not pitching it to every low life in a baseball cap. Clearly we are now more saleable than we were under Ashton and LJ. And hopefully we will reduce our losses to the point where a good buyer can be found.

I ask 2 questions. What other owner since Harry Dolman has done a better job?

Given a lottery win of £150 million would you plough this into BCFC?

• Like 5

I have more anger towards Jon the useless over promoted goon. He could have come in and been the perfect link between the fans and his dad seeing as he ******* loves telling everyone he's just a fan at heart 🙄

I know not everyone at Fulham likes Tony Khan at Fulham but considering he's looking after multiple clubs he still communicates with Fulham fans.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I really am at a loss regarding the criticism of SL. He has poured lots of his own money into the club writing off huge sums. We are still not profitable and so each year he has to write a cheque. Who of us if we won the Euro millions would take on a club where after 5 years we would be broke. Clearly people of this wealth become involved in sport as a hobby. A very expensive one at that. It seems he has played enough with the toy and wants to sell it, quite understandably but is not pitching it to every low life in a baseball cap. Clearly we are now more saleable than we were under Ashton and LJ. And hopefully we will reduce our losses to the point where a good buyer can be found.

Much of the debts he has had to underwrite have been down to his own bad decisions. 

I don’t believe he has any intentions of selling the club (still in talks, Steve?). We are in the position now where our major shareholder and owner has effectively stated that he will no longer fund the club with no buyers on the horizon. I think the rot is slowly setting in and we are in a managed decline going backwards. Perhaps you may soon realise the reason for the criticism of SL. 

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I really am at a loss regarding the criticism of SL. He has poured lots of his own money into the club writing off huge sums.

he hasn’t written off any sums.  He’s not gifting the club to anyone, he’s SELLING the club.  At that point we might get to see if he is writing anything off.  The value of the club, assuming it’s less than he’s pumped in is no different to any investment - can go up or down.  If we were in the PL, he’d be selling for more than in the Champ.

We are still not profitable and so each year he has to write a cheque.

that’s his strategy, he could’ve chosen a different approach.  It seems he’s now decided on a change of approach and that is to not allow large player sales to be re-invested and him to cover that spend.  He’s yet to communicate why he’s changed tack.

Who of us if we won the Euro millions would take on a club where after 5 years we would be broke.

what is the relevance to any of us as a comparison?  Nor if SL walked away after 5 years (any 5 years) would he be broke.  He’s had 20 years and still isn’t broke.

Clearly people of this wealth become involved in sport as a hobby.

I think there are / were other reasons too:

- to hand on to his son (who doesn’t seem to want it)

- as an investment, on two sides - 1) if we got to the PL the club would be worth more than his spend and 2) to get access to other investment opportunities from land around AG.

- (unsubstantiated) to leave a legacy to Bristol

A very expensive one at that. It seems he has played enough with the toy and wants to sell it, quite understandably but is not pitching it to every low life in a baseball cap.

he certainly isn’t, not every low life in a baseball hat will be able to meet the asking price, which I’m hearing (complete rumours) isn’t cheap!

Clearly we are now more saleable than we were under Ashton and LJ. And hopefully we will reduce our losses to the point where a good buyer can be found.

How do you define “a better job”?  SL currently has a club with £200m of debt.  If you read the accounts, paraphrased, the main reason it is a going concern is because SL has turned the losses to equity (owed to him).  Don’t get me wrong, I suspect most EFL clubs are in the same situation!

The guys post-82 did a decent job didn’t they? Coller, Sage etc???

I don’t think that is enough to tempt SL to sell!!!!

If I had £2bn I might though! 😉

Comments above ⬆️

Sorry, but my overall tone is negative…because there is an incorrect view that SL has given us £200m…he hasn’t, nor will he in future.  And that I should be grateful for something that’s inaccurate / wrong.  That’s plain wrong in my eyes.

It probably comes across as ungrateful.  But that’s my view I’m afraid.

See @Cidre Monita post above, a simpler / more concise version.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 9
  • Flames 1