IGNORED

Tinns Speaks

CyderInACan

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Basically confirms what's been suggested...that in their opinion we have a good squad, and should be up there. But...the problem has been injuries...and they are putting that down to the previous regime not looking after the players properly . 

Yep - Steve Lansdown, Jon Lansdown and a bloke who was a manager for 54 Third Division games - telling Nigel Pearson (no need to list his achievements as a top class player or manager) and Dave Rennie (by some distance, the best qualified medic we've EVER had) that they know better than them? 

Words fail me. Printable ones that is. Plenty of unprintable ones I'd like to use.

This is driven by Tinnion, although the owner's personal animosity towards Pearson plays into it as well.

Whoever they appoint next better bring a miracle worker medic with him - and we'll all be watching the number of injuries we get going forward with great interest.  

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

But it is a joined up decision….they are all in this together.  We can now judge them all.  We’ve not been able to do that in the past.  We’ve all been able to add our spin (me included) in the past.

Success or Failure can be attributed now.

Precisely.  Nowhere to hide for them now if this goes tits up.  Nobody else to blame.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Any prospective new coach with his own ideas about footballing philosophy needs to leave them parked at the door and dance to the Lansdowns' tune, because if anyone knows how to get to the PL it's them right?

Also, prior to announcing your team to the players, please submit it to Brian for approval.

On recruitment, when we sell your star player, you need not worry about signing a replacement, we'll have one ready for you from the Academy cos they'll have been "playing this way for 3 years".

I feel excited, PL here we come!

Yep. Remarkable isn't it. 

Gotta say I'm almost impressed with the sheer audacity of it all.

I'm not sure if they are that unbelievably stupid, or thay unbelievably arrogant. 

I'm actually gobsmacked. That we are back at the beginning. Again. 

• Like 1

This strategy seems to fall to pieces as soon as you pick away at it. 

So we have a squad that is good enough to be up at the top of the table? So that suggests the club thinks the new head coach should be leading us to promotion either this season or next.

So how does that fit in with their stated long term plan of bringing through academy players? 

Because let's be brutally honest, if we get to the Premier league, we're not going to be bringing through academy players unless they are exceptional talents like Alex Scott.

If we get to the premier league then that plan will be immediately ripped up and a new one quickly put together. 

They often quote the likes of Brighton, Luton etc. Do you know how they have been successful? They had planned for different eventualities. So when they got promoted, they didn't have to rip everything up. They was able to pivot.

So with this in mind, surely our plan is based on us remaining a Championship club? Which then leads to questions about why they are saying we have a squad that should be competing at the top end of the league.

Whatever way you look at it, this plan doesn't seem very well thought through or robust. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I wish I hadn't watched that.

We are completely and utterly ******.

Yep.

Has made me feel worse than I did before - so the new HC will do it our way. So what if they wanna play a different way, in a different formation?

What decent (better) coach/manager than Nige are we going to be able to attract, working under those “rules”?!

I can see a L1 coach coming in - Manning? Possibly, even Luke Williams, having watched this.

How to destroy the feel good factor in one fell swoop - utterly clueless and as you say, we are ******!

The one thing we as supporters must do though on Sat is get RIGHT behind Curtis and the boys! This ain’t none of their doing.

6 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Does anyone else get the impression they're leaning towards Nathan Jones as isn't that the way he had Luton playing, fast, high press etc, etc?

It just sounded like Luton to me.

I just dont see Nathan Jones being a yes man - he’s horrible, would make Crayon Boy cry in almost every meeting!

• Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Basically confirms what's been suggested...that in their opinion we have a good squad, and should be up there. But...the problem has been injuries...and they are putting that down to the previous regime not looking after the players properly . 

I'm not a football manger, or a coach, or have any medical background. 

However even I know that if you flog players to death on the pitch, then injuries are very likely.

If we brought in an additional cb and a midfielder which most of us said we needed then the likes of Vyner, Naismith, Williams and James would have been able to have been rotated and therefore far less likely to have picked up injuries. 

With those two additional players, we could now be competing at the top of the table. As it stands, we can barely field a first team 11 and we then had the powers that be demand that Pearson sign free agents to cover the shortages. You actually couldn't make this bs up.

Maybe if we didn't have 25 million sat in the bank you could understand their reluctance not to spend. 

The powers that be brought this injury crisis upon themselves by refusing to spend any of the "nest egg" 

It has **** all to do with Nige and Rennie.

• Like 2

Just now, Ska Junkie said:

Does anyone else get the impression they're leaning towards Nathan Jones as isn't that the way he had Luton playing, fast, high press etc, etc?

It just sounded like Luton to me.

SL has spoken about wanting to emulate Luton, but I would still be very surprised because of how badly he did at Southampton.

And seeing how LJ interviews have been picked apart on here I dread to think how it would go with him as manager. 😂

• Haha 1

I just can't shake the idea that JL and Tins believe our squad automatically entitles us to be a promotion-chasing team or, conversely, that it's a sackable offense if we're not. Just because we believe that the squad has improved doesn't instantly make it a top-six squad, or further up the pecking order in league rankings. Other squads are also improving and when looking at the signings they are often signing players who, at least on paper, appeal as having a more reputable track records as promotion-chasing players than some of ours.

The Championship is full of  strong teams. Breaking it down, you've got the recently relegated teams with ample resources and large squads (how can anyone compete with clubs like Leeds and Leicester unless they make significant errors?), then you have those teams that no longer receive parachute payments but have larger budgets thanks to three years of prior funding. Alongside them, you've got those large clubs all vying and aspiring to make get to where they think they belong (e.g., Ipswich, Sunderland, and the like). Following them, you've got clubs like Millwall, Preston, and us - established Championship clubs with mid-range budgets that are generally competitive. There are very few small clubs with low budgets now.

This makes for an intensely competitive and challenging league. Below, I've highlighted a few examples of teams and players that stood out to me when I looked through their squad lists. When you add these to teams such as Leeds, Leicester, Watford, and Norwich, it becomes clear how naïve some of JL and Tins' comments sound, especially when you take into account our own injuries.

• Birmingham: Ethan Laird, Dion Sanderson, Juninho Bacuna, Scott Hogan, Siriki Dembele
  • Cardiff: Aaron Ramsey, Romaine Sawyers, Andy Rinomhota, Callum Robinson, Yakou Meite, Josh Bowler
  • Coventry: Tatsuhiro Sakamoto, Ellis Simms, Milan van Ewijk, Callum O'Hare, Haji Wright, Liam Kitching, Bobby Thomas (they're spending £30 million this year)
  • Middlesbrough: Dael Fry, Paddy McNair, Lewis O'Brien, Morgan Rogers, Emmanuel Latte Lath, Seny Dieng, Martín Payero
  • West Brom: Darnell Furlong, Cedric Kipre, Jed Wallace, Josh Maja, Matt Phillips, Nathaniel Chalobah, John Swift, Adam Reach, Alex Mowatt, Ollie Burke
  • Stoke: Ben Pearson, Lewis Baker, Tyrese Campbell, Dwight Gayle, Daniel Johnson, Wesley, Lynden Gooch
  • Hull: Jean Michael Seri, Liam Delap, Aaron Connolly, Scott Twine, Rúben Vinagre

I stopped looking, but I am sure we can all find God players at all the clubs.

I'm not convinced that many other fans (nor managers), including those with promotion aspirations, would be content going into a season with the relatively inexperienced Tommy Conway, who, I rate hugely,  as their first-choice striker, and a trio of Bell, Conway, and Sykes as a top three. I don't think many people thought our squad looked good enough, at least on paper, for a top-six finish, in comparison to others (even if it is our best squad for a while). Unusual for a fans base, I felt that we were realistic in our optimism - on paper, we're a midtable side, however, thanks to the squad's unity and positive direction NP was taking us in, there was always the hope that we might sneak into the top six. Credit goes to Pearson for putting us in this position, especially given the reduction in squad wages and reduced net spending.

In contrast you look at Bristol Bears. There is a salary cap in the English prem but you are allowed two players outside of that. Bristol paid more than anyone else in the league for these two ‘marque’ signings- including paying one player the highest salary in the world (allegedly). So, it is safe to say that they have been the leading spenders for the last two years in England, or very close to it. The club had stated aims to be Prem champions and European champion cup competitors. However, the last two years have seen Bristol finish near the bottom of the league, underachieve (and also been rumours of discontent within the squad). Yet Pat Lam was and had not been sacked, yet when you compare his team’s relative performance to Nigel’s in their own context's, given the resources they had compared to each's own rivals and aims against final league placings, it makes Nigel’s sacking even more puzzling. I think in reality there have been hints from the start that SL didn’t really get on with NP (and perhaps Nige is not as good at managing up, or 'playing the game'). They never really spoke much and thus it was perhaps always a matter of time. SL's relationship to LJ certainly seems very different from the outside looking in, and at that time LJ was given a lot of money and opportunities to make mistakes. It would had been interesting to had seen how NP would had done if he had LJ's time in the role and money to spend on wages and transfers. We will never know. 

The talk of aggressive football, makes me think Nathan Jones could be the chosen one. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

"Everybody in the summer was happy with how we recruited"?  Sorry Tinns, but who is everybody?    The majority of supporters with whom i discussed this  ,  felt that we were lacking a creative midfielder ( Plan B Tinns?),  A Centre Forward (Not talking fortunes?, MOM for ipswich ...G Hirst £1.5 mill) and a Keeper to challenge O'Leary.  Everybody i spoke to could see the weakness's in the squad, and saw that the inevitable injuries that we are prone to would stretch the squad,  (even though most did not envisage  the current clusterpheck?)      Our squad was too small, and the addition of three players at relatively small expense, considering we had around a £30 Million plus nestegg could have made quite difference IMHO?

2 minutes ago, Red & Gold said:

I just can't shake the idea that JL and Tins believe our squad automatically entitles us to be a promotion-chasing team or, conversely, that it's a sackable offense if we're not. Just because we believe that the squad has improved doesn't instantly make it a top-six squad, or further up the pecking order in league rankings. Other squads are also improving and when looking at the signings they are often signing players who, at least on paper, appeal as having a more reputable track records as promotion-chasing players than some of ours.

The Championship is full of  strong teams. Breaking it down, you've got the recently relegated teams with ample resources and large squads (how can anyone compete with clubs like Leeds and Leicester unless they make significant errors?), then you have those teams that no longer receive parachute payments but have larger budgets thanks to three years of prior funding. Alongside them, you've got those large clubs all vying and aspiring to make get to where they think they belong (e.g., Ipswich, Sunderland, and the like). Following them, you've got clubs like Millwall, Preston, and us - established Championship clubs with mid-range budgets that are generally competitive. There are very few small clubs with low budgets now.

This makes for an intensely competitive and challenging league. Below, I've highlighted a few examples of teams and players that stood out to me when I looked through their squad lists. When you add these to teams such as Leeds, Leicester, Watford, and Norwich, it becomes clear how naïve some of JL and Tins' comments sound, especially when you take into account our own injuries.

• Birmingham: Ethan Laird, Dion Sanderson, Juninho Bacuna, Scott Hogan, Siriki Dembele
  • Cardiff: Aaron Ramsey, Romaine Sawyers, Andy Rinomhota, Callum Robinson, Yakou Meite, Josh Bowler
  • Coventry: Tatsuhiro Sakamoto, Ellis Simms, Milan van Ewijk, Callum O'Hare, Haji Wright, Liam Kitching, Bobby Thomas (they're spending £30 million this year)
  • Middlesbrough: Dael Fry, Paddy McNair, Lewis O'Brien, Morgan Rogers, Emmanuel Latte Lath, Seny Dieng, Martín Payero
  • West Brom: Darnell Furlong, Cedric Kipre, Jed Wallace, Josh Maja, Matt Phillips, Nathaniel Chalobah, John Swift, Adam Reach, Alex Mowatt, Ollie Burke
  • Stoke: Ben Pearson, Lewis Baker, Tyrese Campbell, Dwight Gayle, Daniel Johnson, Wesley, Lynden Gooch
  • Hull: Jean Michael Seri, Liam Delap, Aaron Connolly, Scott Twine, Rúben Vinagre

I'm not convinced that many other fans (nor managers), including those with promotion aspirations, would be content going into a season with the relatively inexperienced Tommy Conway, who, I rate hugely,  as their first-choice striker, and a trio of Bell, Conway, and Sykes as a top three. I don't think many people thought our squad looked good enough, at least on paper, for a top-six finish, in comparison to others (even if it is our best squad for a while). Unusual for a fans base, I felt that we were realistic in our optimism - on paper, we're a midtable side, however, thanks to the squad's unity and positive direction NP was taking us in, there was always the hope that we might sneak into the top six. Credit goes to Pearson for putting us in this position, especially given the reduction in squad wages and reduced net spending.

In contrast you look at Bristol Bears. There is a salary cap in the English prem but you are allowed two players outside of that. Bristol paid more than anyone else in the league for these two ‘marque’ signings- including paying one player the highest salary in the world (allegedly). So, it is safe to say that they have been the leading spenders for the last two years in England, or very close to it. The club had stated aims to be Prem champions and European champion cup competitors. However, the last two years have seen Bristol finish near the bottom of the league, underachieve (and also been rumours of discontent within the squad). Yet Pat Lam was and had not been sacked, yet when you compare his team’s relative performance to Nigel’s in their own context's, given the resources they had compared to each's own rivals and aims against final league placings, it makes Nigel’s sacking even more puzzling. I think in reality there have been hints from the start that SL didn’t really get on with NP (and perhaps Nige is not as good at managing up, or 'playing the game'). They never really spoke much and thus it was perhaps always a matter of time. SL's relationship to LJ certainly seems very different from the outside looking in, and at that time LJ was given a lot of money and opportunities to make mistakes. It would had been interesting to had seen how NP would had done if he had LJ's time in the role and money to spend on wages and transfers. We will never know. 

The talk of aggressive football, makes me think Nathan Jones could be the chosen one. 

...and SL was complaining the other day that he wants a higher salary cap in Rugby, but wont spend on the football team !

Blah blah blah company lines from Tinman sadly.

Remember, this is the man who jumped into Danny Wilsons shoes while they were still warm.

For those of us who were there, we cannot forget the image of former club legend Tinnion sat with his head in his hands at Swansea, if this next appointment doesn't work it'll be him for the axe next time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Midlands Robin said:

I think @Davefevs has absolutely nailed it. Going forward this is all on Tins.

Tinnion was employed initially as loans manager and later as academy manager with the specific brief of preparing the youth to play in the first team. That meant ensuring he worked closely with the manager to understand what the first team were doing. 

Now, on his latest promotion he has become defacto first team director of football and has dictated the style of play from top to bottom. Both Tinnion and Junior have spoken about a single style of play throughout the club. It's clear to me that is "their" style and not the first team managers choice. 

I fully agree with the comments regarding the next appointment. It will be a young coach who will do as they're told and stick purely to coaching matters. He'll get what he's given in the transfer market and have to work with that. 

We are set for LJ mark 2. 

No doubt the board have looked across to Suffolk and seen Ashton do exactly what he did at City and bring in a coach with no managerial experience, flood the team with Ashton signings and see the team win promotion and go on to sit in second place. 

Who wants to bet that defeat at home to Ipswich was the final straw. 

If this plan fails which I'm terrified it will, we are truly ******. 

Almost makes you think BT should be in the hot-seat, given his management and tactical wisdom. Oh, wait.

Nothing against BT the rightful club legend [as a former player], but as a Technical Director, he's clearly a one-focus man - play the youth. Laughable that the footballing side is now being ran with glued-on rose-tinted glasses.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yep - Steve Lansdown, Jon Lansdown and a bloke who was a manager for 54 Third Division games - telling Nigel Pearson (no need to list his achievements as a top class player or manager) and Dave Rennie (by some distance, the best qualified medic we've EVER had) that they know better than them? 

Words fail me. Printable ones that is. Plenty of unprintable ones I'd like to use.

This is driven by Tinnion, although the owner's personal animosity towards Pearson plays into it as well.

Whoever they appoint next better bring a miracle worker medic with him - and we'll all be watching the number of injuries we get going forward with great interest.  

Cant agree,,, we all know whose club this is,,, if the coach was still LJ and he had a great personal relationship with SL, then whatever tinnion thought about it would have no consequence. 

tinnion apparently has no aspiration to be the new manager but if he wants the power to run the football side, then if hes part of the team bringing players in, selecting managers and is telling the lansdowns we have a top 6 squad then he had better find someone to actually get us there, or he will be found out by next may.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Red & Gold said:

Think Basso was our last one, here ;)

7 minutes ago, Red & Gold said:

I'd have said that he was likely to be aggressive to over-timid owners as well, and that would probably rule him out.

It's telling really, that they've obviously been mulling a move against Pearson for some time, and awaiting an excuse, yet - unlike many clubs when they change managers - they clearly haven't yet got a successor in mind, only a "shortlist that may get longer".  :facepalm:

2 hours ago, David Brent said:

He’s come a long way from simply being loan manager in a short space of time.

I wonder what prompted his promotion. 

😆 

Pearson arrives - decides we won't be sending the best young ones out on loan anymore, they'll be staying in-house and training with the first team, at an integrated HPC.

Oh dear, where does this leave our Brian?

Quick, someone give him another job before Pearson decides his role is now unnecessary!  

• Like 3