IGNORED

Joe Sims interview with JL

Dastardly and Muttley

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Top 10 budget I doubt.

Top 10 revenue I can believe, but top 10 budget I doubt.

I think we were tight to the wire with FFP had Scott stayed, post a sale well clear.

Yep I agree, but we’ve not got another Scott, at the moment to clear us more to buy and stay within. I’m not going to argue with you as you’re a lot more intelligent on finances than me. I’m not equipped to run the finances in my house. 

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

For me, the business we did in the summer was by using the money we had got from Semenyo? So I really don't buy this bs about how they pre-spent money from the Alex Scott fee.

I was happy to accept that money was to sort some of the FFP worries. 

It does feel like he's trying to re-write history a bit.
A couple of £M more from about £25M for Scott , would have had us in a much healthier place when injuries struck. Effectively kneecapped Pearson and the team.

• Like 2

I miss Twentyman because you know he would've followed up on some of those questions to push for more.

The comment about CEO baffled me because Gavin is CEO of Bristol Sport and Bristol Bears and they want him to be the defacto leader of Bristol City as well. That's stretching him a bit thin to oversee multiple entities.

Gould was one of the best because the communication was there with the fans. I don't know why it changed with Alexander and don't know why it didn't work put but it just didn't.

I just want the Lansdowns out now because it's just been poor decision after poor decision.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Pheasant plucker said:

Fair enough, that was just the rumour. Point probably still stands about something like that being his point though. Smoke and mirrors and all that.

He is paid more than that.

Highest earner by a considerable distance.

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 4

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The communication point yeah agree, since Gould left it has been terrible really.

In general certainly wasn't the worst interview but it felt a bir cosy, soft soap. Matey.

Follow up questions weren't great either.

Gould just had a lovely way of saying what could be said and then explaining why certain things couldn't be said. 

Fans understand why certain things can't be said. What fans can't understand, is why pretty much nothing has been said since Goulds departure. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, petehinton said:

“We’re not going to line someone up whilst someone’s still in charge, we have morals”

Ah so that’s why SO’D was near enough given the job at half time of McInnes’ last game then 🤣🤣🤣

i think this and many other historic examples of them ******* it up are why i am so totally fed up.

They are scrambling to patch together a web of excuses and contradictory bullsh1t to cover this current situation up, but they seem to forget all the other instances of ******* stupid decisions made by the Lansdowns over a considerable period. The pattern of idiocy is the thing, they are repeating it over and over. It's just that Steve has handed it over to his under equipped son who seems to be basically a human shield. when do we hear from Steve i wonder.

"Judge me on Tinnion" - maybe that was actually a really long gameplan eh Steve? he forgot 'eventually' though...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, petehinton said:

“We’re not going to line someone up whilst someone’s still in charge, we have morals”

Brighton freely admit they plan for the next manager. It is silly not to. Nothing to do with morals. Nice could have jumped ship himself and possibly wouldn't have been well enough to continue anyway.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

No way on earth we are a top ten budget in this league still. In the past without a doubt but now I don't believe that.

I doubt if it's far off, probably 7-8 definitely with higher budgets and probably 10-11 definitely with lower budgets meaning we are probably in mid-table mediocrity, all guess work though

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Zuni said:

He is paid more than that.

Highest earner by a considerable distance.

So to be clear you are saying James is on “more” than £27k a week?

You joined here a couple of days ago but know this for certain?

Interesting.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Just finished watching too. As a format it did work ok. JL seemed relaxed and it was interesting to hear him give longer form answers.

Still plenty in there that stinks of BS, and going forward, the structure of the club with no CEO and Tinnion effectively heading up the entire football operation is worrying.

But if they are at least able to communicate more like this, then that would be a start. 

Totally agree with this. As JL interviews go i don't think it was that bad. He was never going to spill any beans on who we are looking to appoint next or when a new head coach will be in place.

What does concern me though is what he said about the interview process and that it being basically him and Tinnion doing the interviewing. That worries me. A lot.

• Like 5

Another thing to be gleaned from the interview is that it appears there is no sale/investment on the horizon, and the Lansdowns are sticking around for now.

Also, far from disinterested and spending all his time in Bermuda, JL is very much still involved in the day-to-day running of the club "I speak with Brian all the time". 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, NickJ said:

Fair play to him if that’s the case mate the test will be if he gives the idiotic crayon boy a hard time or just sucks up 

Suck up it was then.

No disrespect to Joe, dont know him but where were the challenging follow up questions, there weren't any.

JOE:  Question

JON:  Answer

JOE: Oh right. Next question.

A few points:

JL moaned about the effect of covid, like we were the only team affected

JL said they had no one else lined up due to their morals - except that isnt true as theyve done it before

Could go on but the interview just reinforces my opinion of the so called leadership.

1 minute ago, stortfordred said:

Brighton freely admit they plan for the next manager. It is silly not to. Nothing to do with morals. Nice could have jumped ship himself and possibly wouldn't have been well enough to continue anyway.

Difference between planning though.

ie when Lampard was sacked by Chelsea, Tuchel walked straight in.

Whereas we perhaps have a shortlist of those we may think can take us forward, but nothing arranged when the incumbent still in charge meaning incumbent out, nww guy in.

6 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Fairly predictable interview really. Crap interviewer i thought - like a nervous Labrador.

On the Alex Scott money, one of JL's comments hinted it was not received in one payment. I know this is fairly common, but does anyone know what the actual terms where ?

What did you actually expect? he's a radio presenter.

4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

However nice Joe Sims is, all this shit about football manager etc is embarrassing. 

He's been the only person for a very long time to be able to question one of the Lansdowns and he waffles on about irrelevant crap. What a wasted opportunity. 

I can imagine BBC Bristol Sport (Ed, Richard etc) are a bit cheesed off they didn’t get the interview.  I think we can guess why!

(Just started listening)

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Ron W said:

Let's take the top-10 budget comment on face value for a second.

We were a top-10 team until we lost our last two games - to Ipswich who have had the best start of a promoted side ever, and Cardiff where we couldn't name a full bench.

We play 24th and 23rd in our next two games, take at least four points from them we'd almost certainly be back in the top 10, if not higher.

Had NP really got such little credit in the bank that two games either way from being a top-10 team is enough for the chop?

They wanted him gone since last year

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Simply don’t believe it.

By top ten does he really mean a budget that is higher than all but 9 other teams in our division?

So once you take out the parachute payment teams (6?) we still have a higher budget than virtually everyone else?

Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Stoke? Cardiff?  Birmingham? West Brom? At least 3 of these?

This is after shedding Bentley, Dasilva, Martin, Klose & the young talent Semenyo, Scott, from the wage bill.

We apparently have reduced it from £30m in LJ’s time to £17m under Nige.

Not having it, it’s a lie.

Correct.

12 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Adam Nagy taken out of context - I think the quote was young hungry/Hungary players tbf.

I am on the fence with JL, from what I’ve seen he strikes me as someone who wants the best for the club, and has had to learn on the job, maybe now getting more savvy I hope. The only thing that came out of it of real interest for me was the 9/10 days given off after each international break, and a concern we were detraining. That’s quite a statement. 

More comms needed in the future, but hopefully this is the start.

Yeah, I think that's fair. While I am far from convinced and clearly there remains a lot of stuff being unsaid and nowhere near enough credit for Nige on the stabilising effect, massive cultural change, connection with fans, and steady football progress, the 20mins Ive just watched is not the blathering fool incoherently failing to string a thought together that some of the posts on here are making out. 

He shouldn't be in this role but he is and that is not changing soon it seems. So I hope he rises to it, puts the work and real commitment in, and starts centring fan communication in keeping with the idea of being a custodian of a club on behalf of the community. While miles from ideal, this interview/chat is a bit of progress. 

I don’t have any criticism of Joe Sims performance in this interview. It was always going to be relatively soft but he did at least try to ask relevant questions - perhaps just didn’t follow up on the answers as much as a more hard-nosed journalist would. But that’s not what Joe is so I wouldn’t have expected any more. I thought he did a decent job. 

As for Jon. There’s one point I’ve not seen mentioned on the thread yet but which sent my alarms bells ringing. 
He was quite clear on a couple of occasions that he “didn’t want to talk about the football side of things because he’s not the expert and there are far better qualified people to talk about that”. 
And yet, on a couple of occasions he was more than willing to say “we haven’t given the players the best platform for their fitness” and “we’ve almost been de-conditioning them”. 

So he can’t comment on the football but he’ll happily give an expert opinion on the fitness of the players. 
Again, if you are the widely respected and highly professional Dave Rennie you must be astounded by this! 

My other observation - he pretty much confirmed what many posters here have always denied with regard to the recruitment team. 
He clearly says that the manager doesn’t get to come in and say “I want this player”. He can say “I want this position with these qualities” and then the recruitment team will find players that fit that profile and present them to the manager for consideration. 
As I’ve always said - whoever the manager is doesn’t necessarily get their choice of players. They get a shortlist of players from the analysts. 

Edit - whilst typing this I note others have indeed brought up Jon’s medical and performance expertise 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 8
  • Flames 2