IGNORED

Tinnion interview

Henry

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

@Davefevs about to dish out some justice, pivot table style:

IMG_1862.jpeg

With some funky VLookups in there as well. 

Mad to call Nige workshy just because he didn't charge around the training pitch, you can work incredibly hard without having to do physical labour so to speak, he delegated and spent his time working on the culture and many many other things. 

As for Tinnion I will say this I remember when I was a much younger City fan we would almost miss out on the best "local" talent and we'd only become aware by the time they'd been swallowed up by Southamptons academy or a smaller local side like Exeter or similar. 

This is no longer the case and a number of people have to take credit for that Tinnion among them. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Sturgess said:

So, Nigel was a Manager, as stated on bcfc.co.uk - 22 Feb 2021Bristol City have appointed Nigel Pearson as manager.

LM appointed as a Head Coach.

It’ll be exactly the same as Nigel Pearson,” Tinnion told Bristol Live. “Do you think we signed players for Bristol City that Nigel Pearson didn’t want? So why would we do it for Liam? Liam will be in the process, we’ll cut the shortlist when we want a certain player.

"Once we had gone for ‘the head coach’ and not manager, you want really a young, up-and-coming, on-the-grass, develop the players, develop the style; so once we had narrowed it down to what we wanted, he was one that came out straight away, really high,” Tinnion added. "

Can someone clarify for me, don't managers identify their targets and the club tries to get them?

Just curious over the wording. Are managers generally not as involved in transfers as they once were?  Is the only difference between Manager and Head Coach about what goes on on the training pitch?

It’s about 50:50 between optics and power. Essentially they’re doing the same job but calling Manning “Head Coach” gives the optic he’s doing more coaching and therefore meets the model they want. On a power basis, someone called “manager” generally has (or is seen to have) more heft even if that doesn’t happen in practice, so the title reinforces the seniority structure.

No practical difference IMHO - mainly around the hierarchy feeling more comfortable in their roles 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

It’s about 50:50 between optics and power. Essentially they’re doing the same job but calling Manning “Head Coach” gives the optic he’s doing more coaching and therefore meets the model they want. On a power basis, someone called “manager” generally has (or is seen to have) more heft even if that doesn’t happen in practice, so the title reinforces the seniority structure.

No practical difference IMHO - mainly around the hierarchy feeling more comfortable in their roles 

The main thing it will do, hopefully, is force more communication from the higher ups. Because Nige was a “manager” it was a little easier for them to stew silently and let nige handle public statements/press etc. 

Whilst I have no doubt LM will still do those things, as a “head coach” it’ll be harder to hide behind him if there is scrutiny about transfer policy/finances etc. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Henry said:

Fair enough if you have missed all of the written and record interviews of Nige speaking about it.

Tinnion said we had a plan with Scott and a plan for when we sold him.

The club and Nige said after Scott was sold, we were at our budget and couldn’t bring anyone in.

Fast forward to now - Jon Lansdown says there may be new players during Jan but it’ll be difficult. Tinnion said Nige turned down the chance to sign players after Scott was sold. (Why would they offer him players if there was no budget)

All these things can’t be true. It makes no sense for Nige to come out complaining he couldn’t spend, if he was offered the chance it.

I know who I believe, who has the reason to lie and who had no reason to lie.

Well they could well be true. Tinnion may have offered him players that could fit within the budget and he may have looked at them and said "no thanks, I'll go with the ones I have". Unless you were in the room with them I don't see how you can him a liar. It would be nice to put you in a room with him so you can call him that to his face.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Gary Probert - Academy Manager

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/alex-scott-joins-city/

Tins wasn’t Academy manager, he was to become Academy Director later when Gary left to go to Ipswich.

What’s the difference between an academy manager and director? Unless it’s manager in footballing terms rather then business.

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Tinnion has only been in his role for a year. To give him credit is hilarious.

So, just so I can wrap this up before I get on a plane to Mexico, as I won't be able to sleep otherwise. 

So, because, you know, Tinnion didn't exactly "discover" Scott and Semenyo; he merely had the audacity to "sign" them after watching them play. I mean, spotting talent and bringing them into the club —what does that really count for? Apparently, not much, anyone can do it, even a blind man apparently. So, Tinnion gets zero credit for us then casually selling them off for a cool £35,000,000 and conveniently sidestepping any FFP concerns. Clearly, it's just a walk in the park.

Articles:

“[We] spotted Antoine liked what we saw.  He spent a short time on trial with us before putting pen to paper.” - No credit to you Tinman I'm afraid. Nothing to see here. 

and

"Brian Tinnion in Guernsey this week (meeting with Alex's family), said: “During the period of us watching Alex and him training and playing with us he has demonstrated some excellent attributes and potential to further develop in the years ahead.

“Most importantly, he has the personality and mindset to fit in at Bristol City to continue to work hard and continue his development." - No credit here Tinnion, nothing to do with you at all. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

17 minutes ago, Sturgess said:

So, Nigel was a Manager, as stated on bcfc.co.uk - 22 Feb 2021Bristol City have appointed Nigel Pearson as manager.

LM appointed as a Head Coach.

It’ll be exactly the same as Nigel Pearson,” Tinnion told Bristol Live. “Do you think we signed players for Bristol City that Nigel Pearson didn’t want? So why would we do it for Liam? Liam will be in the process, we’ll cut the shortlist when we want a certain player.

"Once we had gone for ‘the head coach’ and not manager, you want really a young, up-and-coming, on-the-grass, develop the players, develop the style; so once we had narrowed it down to what we wanted, he was one that came out straight away, really high,” Tinnion added. "

Can someone clarify for me, don't managers identify their targets and the club tries to get them?
Are managers generally not as involved in transfers as they once were?  Is the only difference between Manager and Head Coach about what goes on on the training pitch?

Just curious over the wording.

The process is as described in the piece.  A manager or a head-coach will tell recruitment what they want.  The recruitment team will try to find the best candidates that meet the spec, budget, availability, etc.

FWIW, every recruitment analyst in Sean’s team is assigned to a number of the 92 clubs, so that hopefully / theoretically nothing in this country slips through the net.  Every club is covered.  In the past only Mark Ashton was allowed to speak to PL clubs about players.  Cisse was involved in fostering relationships with France Lg1 clubs.

Its now a different ball-game to TC and Clive Middlemass driving to far flung places to watch a player…although Alan Walsh for £18k from Darlington is probably one of the greatest City signings.

As others have explained if a manager has a real desire for an individual player, that might negate some of the process, but not all of it.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Gary Probert - Academy Manager

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/alex-scott-joins-city/

Tins wasn’t Academy manager, he was to become Academy Director later when Gary left to go to Ipswich.

Who the **** is this guy who looks like Brian when Scott was signing?  Very odd indeed:

Alex Scott joins City

Anyway, catching a flight. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ghost Rider said:

So, just so I can wrap this up before I get on a plane to Mexico, as I won't be able to sleep otherwise. 

So, because, you know, Tinnion didn't exactly "discover" Scott and Semenyo; he merely had the audacity to "sign" them after watching them play. I mean, spotting talent and bringing them into the club —what does that really count for? Apparently, not much, anyone can do it, even a blind man apparently. So, Tinnion gets zero credit for us then casually selling them off for a cool £35,000,000 and conveniently sidestepping any FFP concerns. Clearly, it's just a walk in the park.

Articles:

“[We] spotted Antoine liked what we saw.  He spent a short time on trial with us before putting pen to paper.” - No credit to you Tinman I'm afraid. Nothing to see here. 

and

"Brian Tinnion in Guernsey this week (meeting with Alex's family), said: “During the period of us watching Alex and him training and playing with us he has demonstrated some excellent attributes and potential to further develop in the years ahead.

“Most importantly, he has the personality and mindset to fit in at Bristol City to continue to work hard and continue his development." - No credit here Tinnion, nothing to do with you at all. 

You're trying to change the direction of the conversation. 

It was put to you that Gould and Pearson did all the groundwork in getting us to where we are now. 

You tried to say that Tinnion was involved in that. I pointed out he wasn't as he only took on his role a year ago after 95% of the ground work had been done.

27 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

It’s pretty obvious, when we sign lads for the academy it’ll be a joint decision, lots of coaches will give their opinion 

Unless in the case of Alex Scott one of the coaches (very experienced in the game, former pro) said Scott was the best player of his age he had ever seen.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The process is as described in the piece.  A manager or a head-coach will tell recruitment what they want.  The recruitment team will try to find the best candidates that meet the spec, budget, availability, etc.

FWIW, every recruitment analyst in Sean’s team is assigned to a number of the 92 clubs, so that hopefully / theoretically nothing in this country slips through the net.  Every club is covered.  In the past only Mark Ashton was allowed to speak to PL clubs about players.  Cisse was involved in fostering relationships with France Lg1 clubs.

Its now a different ball-game to TC and Clive Middlemass driving to far flung places to watch a player…although Alan Walsh for £18k from Darlington is probably one of the greatest City signings.

As others have explained if a manager has a real desire for an individual player, that might negate some of the process, but not all of it.

Nige was very much a manager who was able to efficiently delegate responsibilities to others. One of his greatest strengths. 

Aside from the short term players, I don't think Nige made a bad signing here. 

My worry was that Nige was able to instruct the recruitment team of what he wanted and based on them perimeters, the recruitment team were able to find him those players of which Nige made the final selection. This is how he worked at Leicester too I believe when talents such as Mahrez were found. 

What I'm trying to say is that Nige bookended the recruitment process so our recruitment was only as good as the decisions that Nige made at either end.

Manning will now be the bookender so it will be interesting to see what the recruitment team come up with within Mannings parameters and decisions. 

Whilst Manning appears to be a good young coach there is a lack of experience in first team recruitment.

Will the recruitment team be as good without Nige making the decisions at either end? We are about to find out.

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

You're trying to change the direction of the conversation. 

It was put to you that Gould and Pearson did all the groundwork in getting us to where we are now. 

You tried to say that Tinnion was involved in that. I pointed out he wasn't as he only took on his role a year ago after 95% of the ground work had been done.

In fairness Tins was involved because as part of the football club at the time when Nige and RG were defining the strategy Tins was a key Stakeholder from two angles - Academy Director and for his football knowledge.

Tins involved in recruitment through Nige’s reign, primarily as input at the time to give feedback on whether an Academy player could solve a problem, or whether new signing might block pathway…as well as providing input on players because he watches shedload of football.

What we have is people posting complete extremes of what his role is / was, when actually it’s something very in between.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Nige was very much a manager who was able to efficiently delegate responsibilities to others. One of his greatest strengths. 

Aside from the short term players, I don't think Nige made a bad signing here. 

My worry was that Nige was able to instruct the recruitment team of what he wanted and based on them perimeters, the recruitment team were able to find him those players of which Nige made the final selection. This is how he worked at Leicester too I believe when talents such as Mahrez were found. 

What I'm trying to say is that Nige bookended the recruitment process so our recruitment was only as good as the decisions that Nige made at either end.

Manning will now be the bookender so it will be interesting to see what the recruitment team come up with within Mannings parameters and decisions. 

Whilst Manning appears to be a good young coach there is a lack of experience in first team recruitment.

Will the recruitment team be as good without Nige making the decisions at either end? We are about to find out.

I agree with all of that.  His clarity in what he wanted was exactly what he did at Leicester with Walsh and Mackenzie.

Yep, Manning now the person giving requirements.  We can wait and see.  The encouraging signs is that he realises he made mistakes at MK Dons and knows that for him he needs to stay close to the process.

29 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Articles:

and

Brian, is that you?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Hahaha.  A lot of my posts are based purely on being informative. Some are both informative and factual too.  Some are opinion based - you’ll notice them are usually referenced by “imho” or “my gut feel is”. That’s very different to being ego driven and wanting to always be right.  I’m not on OTIB to be right or for my ego.  I’m here to chat footie related stuff with like-minded people.  It’s gone downhill over the past 2-3 months.  Some of the best discussions on here are where someone takes something from the other person’s view and embeds that into their new thinking on a subject, whatever the subject.

I still remember having such a discussion with @Ivorguy that completely made me re think my thoughts on a certain topic.

So, from stated your desire to be taught, and being given new information about Tinnion’s role by others on Scott and Semenyo, have you learned something?  No need to reply to me, maybe just one to ponder.

@Davefevs don’t get coming on here talking sense and facts. No one on here wants to hear that bollocks - least of all @Ghost Rider

Get back on your Surface Pro and do some analysis! 😉

FWIW I think Tinnion is lying. The man who scored a beauty in the rain at Anfield to the buffoon who sat alone in the dug out in Swansea.

Says it all. A flawed recruitment process if ever there was one. Up the Lansdowns. They’re doing a great job…..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 2