IGNORED

Fans forum 27th November - Hen and Chicken

CyderInACan

19 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Can you artificially create an atmosphere in what is essentially a sanitised concrete seated multi purpose venue these days? I think performance and success will create the atmosphere, sadly I believe as a  collective home support base we only sing when we’re winning or at least being entertained.

I think the point about the away fans in the Atyeo stand has been taken away by management, although I get the difficulties the club has now from a segregation perspective in shifting away supporters to different locations, it will be a nightmare to keep fans apart given the various walk around open concourses in the new stands. The Atyeo is the most sensible place for away supporters at present, plus a very good way of eeking out lots of £30+ per head for well supported rivals.

I'd suggest that you can, but you would need proper buy-in.

A bigger 'Safe Standing' area. Standing fans are statistically more likely to sing.

Less music, less loud music. Perhaps let some sort of atmosphere build 10-15 before kick-off, maybe half an hour. Less Downsy pushing his brand (perhaps club led) of build-up.

Perhaps a lower away allocation. 2-2.5k max albeit for FA Cup games that isn't altogether possible.

How do other clubs manage it then? Is there something intrinsically difficult with the Ashton Gate layout.

There are still a small number in E34 but with proper stewarding and policing, that could be in time a 2nd 'Safe Standing' area/ 'Singing Section'.

• Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

What I was trying to see, which has been taken quite literally is that the people there seemed to be safe people. Someone above mentioned how it must have been coach 1 and 2 users there. When obviously it wasnt. But the people there were clearly those who were quite happy to not rock the boat. People that are quite clicky and who blow smoke up the arses of the owners. 

Understand what I mean? 

100%

That's what I meant by the type of people that go to these events are in the majority those that will attend anything to do with Bristol City. 

I found it odd that there were people that got to ask more than one question, it seems a large majority were there to listen rather than to take part 

1 hour ago, Olé said:

“How many have we sold for Southampton” followed by “and what would you like us to do Liam?” was an absolutely sensational question.

What would you like us to do? Seriously? Just a wild guess but I don’t think he needs you to keep it tight at the back or track the runners.

It’s 2000 away fans, jesus wept, what do you think he wants you to do? And why are you even asking? He must think we’re all very weird.

Off on a slightly different tangent, but this is nothing new for our fanbase. 

There are a large number of questions that appear on this forum where the answer is either easily found on our official site or a basic Internet search 

3 hours ago, Not Banksy said:

Couldn’t stop cringing so turned it off. “HAVE YOU RESEARCHED THE CLUB TO SEE…” honestly hahaah

I've just got in. Tuned in to watch the archive on YouTube and gave up for the same reason just as fan 3 was trying to ask a question. If I want cringe I'll watch The Office.

Much easier to review the running commentary in this thread.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A bigger 'Safe Standing' area. Standing fans are statistically more likely to sing.

Less music, less loud music. Perhaps let some sort of atmosphere build 10-15 before kick-off, maybe half an hour. Less Downsy pushing his brand (perhaps club led) of build-up.

Perhaps a lower away allocation. 2-2.5k max albeit for FA Cup games that isn't altogether possible.

How do other clubs manage it then? Is there something intrinsically difficult with the Ashton Gate layout.

There are still a small number in E34 but with proper stewarding and policing, that could be in time a 2nd 'Safe Standing' area/ 'Singing Section'.

I’d agree with you on more safe standing as being an option to create the sort of environment which lead to more atmosphere and behind the goal at the south stand may well be the best place to create that. If they’re going go to do something like that then best to do it sooner to reduce some grief that they’ll get from season ticket holders there, the stand’s not been there long enough for anyone to bring out the season tickets for generations line, and with some financial encouragement to shift a bit of it would be perfectly achievable.

Perhaps a bit of a sweeping line but I do think our home support can be very quiet at times excluding S82, but if the quality and entertainment improves then the atmosphere will improve, I’m usually an upper Lansdown person when I go these days as I like watching the tactics, but even then that stand has got going at times with the right game, Hull at home the season before last and then Huddersfield on a Friday night a few years back.

Not sure about reducing away fans though, I take your point from a noise perspective, but the revenue bit especially if the football side keeps, is key is it not?

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

100%

That's what I meant by the type of people that go to these events are in the majority those that will attend anything to do with Bristol City. 

I found it odd that there were people that got to ask more than one question, it seems a large majority were there to listen rather than to take part 

Off on a slightly different tangent, but this is nothing new for our fanbase. 

There are a large number of questions that appear on this forum where the answer is either easily found on our official site or a basic Internet search 

I just felt as if it was a huge wasted opportunity to ask some real pressing questions that we've still not got answers for. 

So much time was wasted on either irrelevant questions which could have been answered by other means or on repeated questions. 

Maybe the supporters trust could have some involvement in it in future? I'm sure I remember someone from the ST once asking pre submitted questions before during one of these? 

• Flames 1

We should do it like lots of companies do for shareholders Q & A's now - Fans sign up and post questions, if you like their question and think it should be asked you upvote it and the most popular questions get asked. Obviously, there are some challenges to make sure that the system doesn't get abused, but it would mean the questions most fans want answered do get answered.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, BCFC Rich said:

We should do it like lots of companies do for shareholders Q & A's now - Fans sign up and post questions, if you like their question and think it should be asked you upvote it and the most popular questions get asked. Obviously, there are some challenges to make sure that the system doesn't get abused, but it would mean the questions most fans want answered do get answered.

I think you might be surprised what most fans want to ask.

It won't be anywhere near what some on this forum want to ask.

Tonight was a pointer to that.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Alright it wasn' t BBC Question time?   But maybe if a few of the keyboard warriors who spent their time having a go at every question,  had attended,  maybe a   more in depth and salient interrogation may have taken place?   Thought Liam came out of this very well considering some of the questions he was asked?    PS.  Maybe OTIB isn't quite the sounding board and reflection of opinion that some people want to believe?

• Like 8

1 minute ago, maxjak said:

Alright it wasn' t BBC Question time?   But maybe if a few of the keyboard warriors who spent their time having a go at every question,  had attended,  maybe a   more in depth and salient interrogation may have taken place?   Thought Liam came out of this very well considering some of the questions he was asked?    PS.  Maybe OTIB isn't quite the sounding board and reflection of opinion that some people want to believe?

Been saying that for years.

It isn't.

But that doesn't mean that opinion on here isn't correct, just that its a minority opinion.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I think you might be surprised what most fans want to ask.

It won't be anywhere near what some on this forum want to ask.

Tonight was a pointer to that.

I'm not saying the questions I want or you want would get asked. But you would be able to see how many fans wanted each question. It's transparent and good for the fans and the club. Difficult to argue/complain someone should have challenged JL on his comments if no other fans voted for your question about it. Equally difficult to complain about a question praising the Lansdowns for the matchday experience if you can see thousands of fans voted for it.  

It's a fair way of doing it, and a transparent way of doing it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

He's in charge of the lot of it mate. He's group CEO. 

What’s his background and qualifications? Is he a numbers guy, a commercial guy, a management / people guy? 
I know it’s only a small sample as he only said about 20 words but he didn’t seem hugely engaging. My guess is he’s from a finance background. 

16 minutes ago, Harry said:

What’s his background and qualifications? Is he a numbers guy, a commercial guy, a management / people guy? 
I know it’s only a small sample as he only said about 20 words but he didn’t seem hugely engaging. My guess is he’s from a finance background. 

Yep. Finance guy. They generally all have that sour tone.

I saw walking around Ashton Gate, during the working day, wearing very short cycling shorts. That was enough for him to decide he’s a wrong un 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Either put safe standing in S24 or across the back of the south stand (take these without the concept of moving people etc)

Play Drink Up Thy Zider before Kickoff, get the whole ground singing,

Bin off downsey,

70/30 split the Atyeo,

Cheaper OTD prices,

Bin off the megaphone in S82,

Stop giving out free shirts to u12 for south stand season tickets to reduce the empty seats there, unfair on OTD fans,

Cheaper bar prices - 2.90 for a water 🤣🤣

Improve the shit music outside the ground, if its a local band get em to play some of their own songs,

Sing more.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

22 minutes ago, OliOTIB said:

Either put safe standing in S24 or across the back of the south stand (take these without the concept of moving people etc)

Play Drink Up Thy Zider before Kickoff, get the whole ground singing,

Bin off downsey,

70/30 split the Atyeo,

Cheaper OTD prices,

Bin off the megaphone in S82,

Stop giving out free shirts to u12 for south stand season tickets to reduce the empty seats there, unfair on OTD fans,

Cheaper bar prices - 2.90 for a water 🤣🤣

Improve the shit music outside the ground, if its a local band get em to play some of their own songs,

Sing more.

Agree with most of these.

70-30 Atyeo split, can you expand? 2k is 

I should also add that for FA Cup games allocation rules do differ, and if we ever get up we would need to give 3k or 10% of capacity so there is a bit of future proofing.

Free shirts Idk good touch. I'm split.

Megaphone I'm fairly indifferent about either way.

Do bands in a fanzone make an overall difference? Assume this is what you are referring to. I will confess I don't really go to the fanzone, what kinda music is it.

Markup at sporting events is a bit of a fact of life. 

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I was horrified to read that…but actually it has a lot of logic (imho).

From a fans perspective there is also a lot of logic in buying these season tickets. 

Even if the kid doesn't come very often it's a very good offer. Also the option of upgrading the kids shirt to an adult one makes it even more attractive. 

If we ever got to the Premier league then people would have secured themselves an extra seat by buying these kids tickets at minimal costs. Tickets will of course be in high demand if we got to the Prem. I'd imagine a lot would attempt to upgrade that child's ticket to an adult ticket!

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Is there a reason why the games aren't streamed any more?
With no parking at the HPC and games being rare at the Gate I don't get to watch the U21's at all now.

Laziness of the media department, they don't want to 'waste' someones time needed to film the game.

Parking for U21's fixtures is usually either in QEH car park or the cricket/hockey club car park just over the road so should be able to park within a couple of minutes walk. Usually evening games are QEH and day time games are the sports club but its usually said which car park is available.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Laziness of the media department, they don't want to 'waste' someones time needed to film the game.

Don't they film the games for analysis reasons? More often than not we see goal highlights. For u21 on Robins TV I'd be more than happy with a single camera set up, but you'd expect they already have a better set up than that for the analysis team. I guess the expense comes in needing some kind of "director" for what gets televised.

Personally don’t really see the need to micro analyse JL’s every action at events like this as if he’s planning the clubs doom behind the scenes. 

Is he a brilliant public speaker? Obviously not.

Is he trying to harm the club in any way? Obviously not.

Is he passionate about our club? Obviously, he wouldn’t have stayed in his position for so long if he wasn’t.

To clarify he said “overall reaction” not overreaction when asked about the communication of Niges sacking. And his response was correct in my opinion.
Decisions like that will never please everyone, but communicating the clubs goals and current objectives more effectively will mean that the reaction will be less explosive when those decisions are made. 

Also, people will ask questions they want the answers for, were some of them answered in an interview 11 months ago, or relatively obvious? Yes. But insulting peoples questions is a tad silly tbh, most people there probably weren’t going to try to pressure sensitive answers to uncomfortable questions. 

The only part I had a problem with was the response to the questions about the lack of communication on u21s games, I agree that was awful. 

Whether the changes in the structure of the clubs senior hierarchy and management are for good/bad is all wait and see now. Personally, I rather like this LM fella and am pretty optimistic about our future, but I haven’t had to endure the decades of almosts and disappointments many have so I gather I’m in the minority. Either way COYR bring on Wednesday night! 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agree with most of these.

70-30 Atyeo split, can you expand? 2k is 

I should also add that for FA Cup games allocation rules do differ, and if we ever get up we would need to give 3k or 10% of capacity so there is a bit of future proofing.

Free shirts Idk good touch. I'm split.

Megaphone I'm fairly indifferent about either way.

Do bands in a fanzone make an overall difference? Assume this is what you are referring to. I will confess I don't really go to the fanzone, what kinda music is it.

Markup at sporting events is a bit of a fact of life. 

Have to disagree with a lot of this Mr P.

Atyeo split... Well, we don't sell out at the moment, so that would just see further dilution of people who like to sit or stand by people who might sing. (What happened to the Dolman A Block experiment?)

For some, there seems to be an expectation that their way of supporting a football club is the 'only way' and the popularity of S82 is reflective of that. If S82 was what I believe those behind it initially tried to create, the stadium would be rocking for 90 minutes.

As it is, with people turning up late, leaving 10 minutes before half time to get a pint there are far more quiet moments than they want to admit.

If there was to be expansion of safe standing, I would expect the club to consider the lower Dolman, it would be popular with the rugby supporters and would ensure that sound was directed at the pitch. 

Folk need to remember Aston Gate isn't a football stadium, it's a sports stadium these days.

• Like 1

Just listened to Sound of the City, which was actually a bit better than the forum itself, certainly from Ed Hadwin.

I did find it interesting that when @petehinton started to challenge the sacking of Nige and how it was done we suddenly lost the Radio Bristol broadcast and when the live feed returned it was back to the club propaganda from the other two guests. 

Reflecting again on last night I can’t help thinking it would’ve been better if Steve Lansdown had been front and centre. 

8 hours ago, Tomo said:

Ashton and myself attended tonight (not media for me tonight, just a fan)

Not a great deal of 'new information' of where we are heading into January's transfer window.

Only a few 'younger supporters' attended tonight and as we walked in, Liam was right behind us on arrival. A quick photo and a nice 5 minute chat with the new gaffer.

Liam was very attentive towards Ashton and came across really well. Seems a genuine bloke to be fair.....

Results business though...

20231127_181613.jpg

Great pic. Does seem like Liam was the only one to come out with any credit from last night.

Just now, exAtyeoMax said:

Gives you hope for the future of our club 🤗

I'm surprised/not surprised there wasn't a follow up question to the reply from JL asking specifically what skills BT 'developed' in the five-minutes-of-Phil that rendered these changes workable, and if BT was only a few months away from being ready, why didn't they invest in upskilling Brian rather than making an appointment that they now think they don't need.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

or no Downsy? 🫢

safe standing in both corners? Across the back of the SS? 
away fans up in the gods, families down in the Atyeo or corner?

Don’t know it will take a lot of rejigging