IGNORED

Fans forum 27th November - Hen and Chicken

CyderInACan

I’d agree with most I thought Manning answered the questions well, and I’m impressed by his demeanour, his focus and drive. I can see he’d be really interested in the academy given the environments and levels he’s been coach at before. I particularly liked the  answer he gave about comparisons to other coaches, in that he’s doing it his way rather than a way that someone else does it.

As for the others, it’s clear that the other 3 are not willing or accomplished public speakers, Gould and Ashton were very good in these type of scenarios, where JL clearly isn’t, you can be media trained to an extent, but you do have to have something about you in the first place.

Some of the questions were a bit cringeworthy, but again lots people are not great at holding a microphone and asking a journalistic arrow-like question.

Flicking through the thread I can see that some people have picked up perhaps negatively on the spend the day at Ashton Gate question, personally speaking that’s not a bad point to make, this is something that locally to me Brighton have been trying to do for a while, partly due to the limited transport links, so they encourage fans to come earlier and leave later to ease congestion with the added bonus of spending their money with the club.

The question on injuries was reasonably answered, they’re looking at the data, I’ll buy that.

Perhaps they could have mixed some of the questions with some from online, but again people would question how much these are santised, although we have these online questions at internal town halls and these are all displayed and polled live so the popular questions rise to the top, perhaps something that the various supporters groups could feed back to the club should they host future events.

Overall a little bit unsatisfactory, but at least they’ve done one.

• Like 11

Just now, Davefevs said:

And no need to commercial skills with the way BS is set up.  Well, **** me sideways - clear to me PA was ousted because he tried to bring those skills, but it didn’t allow JL free reign to do as he liked.

Watches of ******* Bath!!! 🫣🫣🫣

Was basically a “**** you” answer, then he slipped in a bit of “we try to do better”.

I thought it said a lot about the surgence of power on the football front to BT

I can only assume that JL or his Father have totally bought into him and his views

What BTs part we can only guess 

45 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Surprised more haven’t latched into the comment about Phil Alexander departure and Tinnions role

Pretty revealing ....

And also we are now going to have some medical staff on treating injuries and some on strength and conditioning ......oh....👍🏻...... **** me that’s a revolutionary idea !

I've commented on here before that I think Tinnion was able to power grab from the CEO role and the managers role and that pretty much confirms that. 

Before we had Alexander, Tinnion, Pearson, Euell and Fleming. 

We now have Tinnion, Manning and Hogg with some input from BS employees when required. 

We've very much streamlined. 

1 minute ago, Frenchay Red said:

Wherever he lives, he manages to get to senior Reds most months.

Look, I really don’t think the major point here is whether he could or couldn’t make tonight’s meeting.

Perhaps he thought it would be a total waste of time, had something else to do?

Not sure that he goes to the senior reds is remotely relevant, either.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

It's funny, I have some sympathy for Jon on this question.
I don't think he's at all comfortable under the spotlight and you can see the nerves and he can end up waffling . But basically he is right.
If you try to move or rearrange any number of fans it will impact on the same number of fans who already have seats and are happy where they sit. The time to do it was during the build, bit late to try and put the Genie back in the bottle. 
It would be great to sit the away fans somewhere else, to increase the singing section or to have home fans behind both goals. I just don't see an easy way of doing it. 

My main critique was that the question which praised the academy was very timely.

Wider issue, yeah it is logistically a challenge to keep everyone happy, I get that.

Should have been done during the rebuild yes.

There might be like-minded fans in the South Stand who are more inclined to get involved were it a bigger Section.

I wasn't satisfied with the answer, the explanation and it was a very convenient segue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

I’m at a total loss after that tbh. Atmosphere was so ******* odd in there, Liam was the only one willing to expand on an answer for more than 45 seconds. It was so guarded and they answered questions so blandly and quickly the whole thing felt really rushed whilst also not really answering anything properly, or at all. Didn’t really answer the questions on injuries and the new structure, didn’t really answer the question about the new structure, Jon said it’s not his place to answer the question on the stadium(???)

Last years opening was loads of detail from Tinnion on the academy, nige on what it means to be a manager( and Gould on loads of detail around club finances and season ticket sales etc. 

This year - JL “just wanted to say thanks for coming” *awkward silence with everyone looking around wondering what’s going on*. 

Manning salvaged it tbh, seemed like the only one happy to be there. 

“Jon would like to say a few words”

spot on! 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Look, I really don’t think the major point here is whether he could or couldn’t make tonight’s meeting.

Perhaps he thought it would be a total waste of time, had something else to do?

Not sure that he goes to the senior reds is remotely relevant, either.

Yes, I did say someone 'like' Ian. Very confident we do have supporters capable of delivering a much more interesting line of questioning than was seen this evening. Sadly, for whatever reasons, it seems none were in attendance tonight. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Is there a reason why the games aren't streamed any more?
With no parking at the HPC and games being rare at the Gate I don't get to watch the U21's at all now.

Previously I've parked on-road in Failand and then it's about a 10 minute walk to the HPC.  

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Flicking through the thread I can see that some people have picked up perhaps negatively on the spend the day at Ashton Gate question, personally speaking that’s not a bad point to make, this is something that locally to me Brighton have been trying to do for a while, partly due to the limited transport links, so they encourage fans to come earlier and leave later to ease congestion with the added bonus of spending their money with the club.

Yes on paper not a bad one. Fanzone, other events more money perhaps which means more money can go into the team.

Some questions around that general theme just seemed like cap doffing etc.

The day out bit, the round of applause for the Lansdowns etc.

27 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

but at least they’ve done one.

Isn't it mandatory to do one a season? EFL and or FA rules- @ExiledAjax maybe able to clarify this one.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yes on paper not a bad one. Fanzone, other events more money perhaps which means more money can go into the team.

Some questions around that general theme just seemed like cap doffing etc.

The day out bit, the round of applause for the Lansdowns etc.

Isn't it mandatory to do one a season? EFL and or FA rules- @ExiledAjax maybe able to clarify this one.

EFL regulation that you have to have AT LEAST one, or you get quite a hefty fine 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

It's funny, I have some sympathy for Jon on this question.
I don't think he's at all comfortable under the spotlight and you can see the nerves and he can end up waffling . But basically he is right.
If you try to move or rearrange any number of fans it will impact on the same number of fans who already have seats and are happy where they sit. The time to do it was during the build, bit late to try and put the Genie back in the bottle. 
It would be great to sit the away fans somewhere else, to increase the singing section or to have home fans behind both goals. I just don't see an easy way of doing it. 

A proactive club would know there is discontent about multiple things within the stadium, conduct research, get the SC&T to help if need be.  They might not be able to remedy everything or anything but they would have customer fans feedback to have a feel for his fans feel about certain things.  Was it a difficult question to answer, no, but I accept it’s a difficult problem to solve.

Im sure the Chairman remembers exactly why decisions were made in relocating fans as the stadium build went on.

• Like 3

As an occasional reader and a rare poster on OTIB may I say congratulations on the quality of debate on here tonight. I’m really impressed. Also highly impressed with what I saw and heard of Liam Manning. What an intelligent guy. 
As for the other 3 on the panel. Well that was a bit embarrassing. I like what Tinnion has done at the academy and his enthusiasm for it but maybe he’s made a mistake in thinking he has the ability to be promoted to duties beyond his skill set. 
As for Jon Lansdown. I feel a bit sorry for him. He’s no more capable of running a business with a multimillion pound turnover and hundreds of staff than I am. But I wouldn’t put myself in that position. Surely both Steve and he know that . 
Let’s just hope that Manning can carry the club and the rest will eventually look after itself . 

Edited by redapple
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, Street red said:

Brian tinnion more qualified than phil Alexander sums it up doesn't it.

Bristol Sport do all the commercial deals right? That’s why Huboo are across all sports. I assume what was trying to be said was brian has picked up the footballing side of a CEOs role which sorted made PA defunked. It was just articulated poorly 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Pezo said:

I've just gone back to listen to it again. In the context of what the could change and looking back in hindsight "I think you're not going to be able to change that overreaction".

Therefore he just believes it was an overreaction.

Having listened to it very carefully, I think he actually said "overall reaction"

It was just that he trips over his words a bit now and then.

Ashton and myself attended tonight (not media for me tonight, just a fan)

Not a great deal of 'new information' of where we are heading into January's transfer window.

Only a few 'younger supporters' attended tonight and as we walked in, Liam was right behind us on arrival. A quick photo and a nice 5 minute chat with the new gaffer.

Liam was very attentive towards Ashton and came across really well. Seems a genuine bloke to be fair.....

Results business though...

20231127_181613.jpg

• Like 5
  • Robin 2

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

My main critique was that the question which praised the academy was very timely.

Wider issue, yeah it is logistically a challenge to keep everyone happy, I get that.

Should have been done during the rebuild yes.

There might be like-minded fans in the South Stand who are more inclined to get involved were it a bigger Section.

I wasn't satisfied with the answer, the explanation and it was a very convenient segue.

Can you artificially create an atmosphere in what is essentially a sanitised concrete seated multi purpose venue these days? I think performance and success will create the atmosphere, sadly I believe as a  collective home support base we only sing when we’re winning or at least being entertained.

I think the point about the away fans in the Atyeo stand has been taken away by management, although I get the difficulties the club has now from a segregation perspective in shifting away supporters to different locations, it will be a nightmare to keep fans apart given the various walk around open concourses in the new stands. The Atyeo is the most sensible place for away supporters at present, plus a very good way of eeking out lots of £30+ per head for well supported rivals.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, bexhill reds said:

Can you artificially create an atmosphere in what is essentially a sanitised concrete seated multi purpose venue these days? I think performance and success will create the atmosphere, sadly I believe as a  collective home support base we only sing when we’re winning or at least being entertained.

I think the point about the away fans in the Atyeo stand has been taken away by management, although I get the difficulties the club has now from a segregation perspective in shifting away supporters to different locations, it will be a nightmare to keep fans apart given the various walk around open concourses in the new stands. The Atyeo is the most sensible place for away supporters at present, plus a very good way of eeking out lots of £30+ per head for well supported rivals.

Have you been in there recently too? I went to a rugby game last year. It’s like a bomb site,  Away fans are welcome to it. Question is, how can we as fans put the atmosphere around the ground rather than just in the corner

41 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

I thought it said a lot about the surgence of power on the football front to BT

I can only assume that JL or his Father have totally bought into him and his views

What BTs part we can only guess 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

38 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I've commented on here before that I think Tinnion was able to power grab from the CEO role and the managers role and that pretty much confirms that. 

Before we had Alexander, Tinnion, Pearson, Euell and Fleming. 

We now have Tinnion, Manning and Hogg with some input from BS employees when required. 

We've very much streamlined. 

I honestly don’t think he’s taking a power grab of CEO role, RG probably had to do two jobs initially, CEO and DoF, with Nige helping him strategically.

But he now has everything defined as he wants it, Recruitment, Academy, First Team, Medical.  I think they’ve made a good choice in Manning, and they’ve done it at time where he’s been set-up to succeed, because the foundations are laid.  I think LM knows that too.  He doesn’t need to change too much.

But Tins will be judged totally on this.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, redapple said:

As an occasional reader and a rare poster on OTIB may I say congratulations on the quality of debate on here tonight. I’m really impressed. Also highly impressed with what I saw and heard of Liam Manning. What an intelligent guy. 
As for the other 3 on the panel. Well that was a bit embarrassing. I like what Tinnion has done at the academy and his enthusiasm for it but maybe he’s made a mistake in thinking he has the ability to be promoted to duties beyond his skill set. 
As for Jon Lansdown. I feel a bit sorry for him. He’s no more capable of running a business with a multimillion pound turnover and hundreds of staff than I am. But I wouldn’t put myself in that position. Surely both Steve and he know that . 
Let’s just hope that Manning can carry the club and the rest will eventually look after itself . 

Carry the club? What just like Nige did?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

I honestly don’t think he’s taking a power grab of CEO role, RG probably had to do two jobs initially, CEO and DoF, with Nige helping him strategically.

But he now has everything defined as he wants it, Recruitment, Academy, First Team, Medical.  I think they’ve made a good choice in Manning, and they’ve done it at time where he’s been set-up to succeed, because the foundations are laid.  I think LM knows that too.  He doesn’t need to change too much.

But Tins will be judged totally on this.

It certainly is Tinnion's Bus now....

9 minutes ago, redapple said:

We are gonna find out.

10 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

The suggestion of housing away fans in the upper lansdown should be immediately dismissed. The sales for the top tier for our family area is very important to the club....building the next generation of fans. If anything cut the atyeo area in half....stupid idea to have away fans in the lansdown stand of all places...

Edited by Tomo
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, CityReds said:

Have you been in there recently too? I went to a rugby game last year. It’s like a bomb site,  Away fans are welcome to it. Question is, how can we as fans put the atmosphere around the ground rather than just in the corner

I’ve not been in the Atyeo for years, but fit out wise it’s going to be the oldest part of the ground now, I do get the argument for getting closer proximity to away fans to get the atmosphere going, when I first started going you had away and home fans in either corner of the open end, and I seem recall away fans in the corner of the shed too for a while.

Edited by bexhill reds
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tomo said:

The suggestion of housing away fans in the upper lansdown should be immediately dismissed. The sales for the top tier for our family area is very important to the club....building the next generation of fans. If anything cut the atyeo area in half....stupid idea to have away fans in the lansdown stand of all places...

Very difficult to make that work logistically given the ways in and out of the top tier. Personally the family stand should be closer to pitch side for the benefit of the kids, rather than up in the gods, but that’s a completely different topic.