IGNORED

Fans forum 27th November - Hen and Chicken

CyderInACan

8 hours ago, transfer reader said:

Having listened to it very carefully, I think he actually said "overall reaction"

It was just that he trips over his words a bit now and then.

Had another watch this morning and he certainly says overreaction. It's at 1h1m and 43 seconds for about 10 seconds. People can make there own minds up.

I would normally give him the benefit of doubt but I'm struggling to give him the benefit of doubt with how much disdain Steve had for fans opinions.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

A proactive club would know there is discontent about multiple things within the stadium, conduct research, get the SC&T to help if need be.  They might not be able to remedy everything or anything but they would have customer fans feedback to have a feel for his fans feel about certain things.  Was it a difficult question to answer, no, but I accept it’s a difficult problem to solve.

Im sure the Chairman remembers exactly why decisions were made in relocating fans as the stadium build went on.

I don't think the Club has to be proactive , just aware. The same questions and complaints have been around almost since the ground has been fully reopened . The problem is the is no answer and definitely no easy answer. 

The only way I can think of going forward, give the away fans the end of the Dolman , separate the concourse and make that end of the concourse entrance to away fans only. 
First thing people complain about not being able to use those turnstyles.
Then how long before our fans in the Atyeo moan about facilities ?
Moan about not having access to the concourse then would we fill it ?

It is hard now so many have settled into their seats. 

7 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

The only thing. I learnt from the total bore fest this evening is that we have a 125 year lease on what used to be our stadium. 😡

The rest was woeful!

It is our Stadium.

If it was just owned and someone bought the Club, they would be able to sell the ground as it would always be part of the sale and the new owner could do as they please . The 125 year lease means whoever buys the Club and for whatever reason, they can't evict the Clubs . It's a way of protecting the Club .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The idea of having a selection of 'pre fans forum questions' would be a good initiative.

However, all these questions would then be vetted, so the more awkward one's to answer, would probably be left in the 'inbox' and never asked anyway.

It's a bit of a 'Bristolian Trait' - be polite and don't ask anything that maybe a tad testing for the panel.

If the Newcastle Board had sacked a manager who had the backing of 85% of the fans and then brought in a young and relatively non experienced manager as a replacement, their fans forum evening would be alot different to ours last night 🤣

Let's get behind Mr Manning though. He's been asked to head up the team and in my eyes, he's our Manager, not Head Coach. Just because he's on the grass coaching the lads, rather than observing from the sidelines, his job is identical to Nigel's.

Liam Manning is our Manager. 

15 minutes ago, Tomo said:

The idea of having a selection of 'pre fans forum questions' would be a good initiative.

However, all these questions would then be vetted, so the more awkward one's to answer, would probably be left in the 'inbox' and never asked anyway.

It's a bit of a 'Bristolian Trait' - be polite and don't ask anything that maybe a tad testing for the panel.

If the Newcastle Board had sacked a manager who had the backing of 85% of the fans and then brought in a young and relatively non experienced manager as a replacement, their fans forum evening would be alot different to ours last night 🤣

Let's get behind Mr Manning though. He's been asked to head up the team and in my eyes, he's our Manager, not Head Coach. Just because he's on the grass coaching the lads, rather than observing from the sidelines, his job is identical to Nigel's.

Liam Manning is our Manager. 

Is he? Or is Tins?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yes on paper not a bad one. Fanzone, other events more money perhaps which means more money can go into the team.

Some questions around that general theme just seemed like cap doffing etc.

The day out bit, the round of applause for the Lansdowns etc.

Isn't it mandatory to do one a season? EFL and or FA rules- @ExiledAjax maybe able to clarify this one.

Two a season, although there's some flexibility in the format required. As @petehinton says, it's in the regs. EFL regulation 128. 

Screenshot_20231128-083901.png

It is included in our "Club Charter" (although that refers to old regulation 111).

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

The only thing I learnt from the total bore fest this evening is that we have a 125 year lease on what used to be our stadium. 😡

The rest was woeful!

I was a little surprised to hear this too

However having watched it back if you listen very carefully JL very quietly mentions that AG is part of Bristol Citu holdings. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

This place has almost 20k members. I'd say that's enough of a sample size to say it is not a minority opinion. 

There may be 20k members but how many post regularly? There is a small core who provide the majority of the input, another smallish group who post semi frequently and the majority who either never post or post once in a blue moon. 

21 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I don't get the vibe that LM has the same remit/authority/respect that Nige had. Will be interesting to see how things progress.:dance:

I got the vibe that in Manning we have an ambitious Manager that seems to know his stuff and deserves more credit than many gave him when he arrived. He doesn't come across as a 'yes' man and is clearly working hard on progressing his career and has more experience than people realise.

It seemed to me those sat on the table alongside him last night were hearing him speak like like for the first time* and were suddenly thinking 'oh fluff, what have we let ourselves in for!😀

*Obviously, or hopefully they weren't, but you never know with our due diligent interview process!

I thought the questions were at best lame. Boring and repetitive and went off at a tangent. People were too quick to heap praise on the Board etc too, too gushy. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

There may be 20k members but how many post regularly? There is a small core who provide the majority of the input, another smallish group who post semi frequently and the majority who either never post or post once in a blue moon. 

I don't know how many 'active' posters there are.

People have said that the fans forum last night showed that this place has its own unique views. Despite their being less people at the fans forum than there is active posters on here. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull

53 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Two a season, although there's some flexibility in the format required. As @petehinton says, it's in the regs. EFL regulation 128. 

Screenshot_20231128-083901.png

It is included in our "Club Charter" (although that refers to old regulation 111).

With respect to 128.1.2, could that be interpreted as meetings with the SC&T which take place fairly regularly ? Meaning that open forums are not specifically required by the EFL ?

I would think/hope that questions from that group are a bit more challenging anyway.

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I'm surprised/not surprised there wasn't a follow up question to the reply from JL asking specifically what skills BT 'developed' in the five-minutes-of-Phil that rendered these changes workable, and if BT was only a few months away from being ready, why didn't they invest in upskilling Brian rather than making an appointment that they now think they don't need.

the whole club set up sounds so tinpot. I do feel sorry for Liam…

30 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Bros reunion!

Bring your dart

33 minutes ago, RedM said:

I got the vibe that in Manning we have an ambitious Manager that seems to know his stuff and deserves more credit than many gave him when he arrived. He doesn't come across as a 'yes' man and is clearly working hard on progressing his career and has more experience than people realise.

It seemed to me those sat on the table alongside him last night were hearing him speak like like for the first time* and were suddenly thinking 'oh fluff, what have we let ourselves in for!😀

*Obviously, or hopefully they weren't, but you never know with our due diligent interview process!

I thought the questions were at best lame. Boring and repetitive and went off at a tangent. People were too quick to heap praise on the Board etc too, too gushy. 

yes he comes across as very ambitious, so I don't expect him to hang around for long.

The others just appear completely hopeless alongside him. Why doesn't BT know about players' injuries etc? He's the Technical Director/CEO/etc. Did anyone ask about Dave Rennie? 

8 hours ago, George Rs said:

Personally don’t really see the need to micro analyse JL’s every action at events like this as if he’s planning the clubs doom behind the scenes. 

Is he a brilliant public speaker? Obviously not.

Is he trying to harm the club in any way? Obviously not.

Is he passionate about our club? Obviously, he wouldn’t have stayed in his position for so long if he wasn’t.

To clarify he said “overall reaction” not overreaction when asked about the communication of Niges sacking. And his response was correct in my opinion.
Decisions like that will never please everyone, but communicating the clubs goals and current objectives more effectively will mean that the reaction will be less explosive when those decisions are made. 

Also, people will ask questions they want the answers for, were some of them answered in an interview 11 months ago, or relatively obvious? Yes. But insulting peoples questions is a tad silly tbh, most people there probably weren’t going to try to pressure sensitive answers to uncomfortable questions. 

The only part I had a problem with was the response to the questions about the lack of communication on u21s games, I agree that was awful. 

Whether the changes in the structure of the clubs senior hierarchy and management are for good/bad is all wait and see now. Personally, I rather like this LM fella and am pretty optimistic about our future, but I haven’t had to endure the decades of almosts and disappointments many have so I gather I’m in the minority. Either way COYR bring on Wednesday night! 

I think the problem with his public speaking skills is he doesn’t have experience to fall back on, to think on his feet, because he’s not had the real-world business exposure someone in his position would have.  His dad, although arrogant at times, has been there and done it and can draw upon what he’s been through to word his way around a tricky question.

JL just comes across as awkward.  He shouldn’t need to flounder at a simple question from Christine about engaging with fans.

As for the answer re sacking.  Nobody thinks it was an easy decision, but he talked about the lead-up to it in terms of comms and managing the fans.  There were zero comms, they didn’t manage the fans at all.  For the number of Comms people we have at the club, their proactiveness or getting on the front foot is terrible. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, OliOTIB said:

Either put safe standing in S24 or across the back of the south stand (take these without the concept of moving people etc)

Play Drink Up Thy Zider before Kickoff, get the whole ground singing,

Bin off downsey,

70/30 split the Atyeo,

Cheaper OTD prices,

Bin off the megaphone in S82,

Stop giving out free shirts to u12 for south stand season tickets to reduce the empty seats there, unfair on OTD fans,

Cheaper bar prices - 2.90 for a water 🤣🤣

Improve the shit music outside the ground, if its a local band get em to play some of their own songs,

Sing more.

Or get into your DeLorean and go back to 1973 and tell the people there not make all the mistakes we have made like soulless stadiums, unnecessary all seater grounds, bubble matches, and prices that mean a lot of people can't afford to go anymore. I worked out allowing for inflation a season ticket compared to 1972 which was around £12 should be about £250 in the South stand.

Edited by pillred

3 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

yes he comes across as very ambitious, so I don't expect him to hang around for long.

The others just appear completely hopeless alongside him. Why doesn't BT know about players' injuries etc? He's the Technical Director/CEO/etc. Did anyone ask about Dave Rennie? 

They were asked, bumbled along a bit about giving the department more resource hence splitting Rennie’s old role into two, and just said it was based on numerous data points that will now also be used in recruitment moving forward - maybe partly the role of Krause?

This was all prefaced by JL (I think) saying he’s not a medical expert, yet commented on it in his Joe Sims interview. 

After sleeping on it, the whole night felt a bit fever dream like tbh. I knew we wouldn’t get much out of them, but from 15 minutes onwards the whole vibe and energy they gave off to questions, Manning aside, made it almost pointless to even ask anything 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, petehinton said:

They were asked, bumbled along a bit about giving the department more resource hence splitting Rennie’s old role into two, and just said it was based on numerous data points that will now also be used in recruitment moving forward - maybe partly the role of Krause?

This was all prefaced by JL (I think) saying he’s not a medical expert, yet commented on it in his Joe Sims interview. 

After sleeping on it, the whole night felt a bit fever dream like tbh. I knew we wouldn’t get much out of them, but from 15 minutes onwards the whole vibe and energy they gave off to questions, Manning aside, made it almost pointless to even ask anything 

Krause is gonna be focused on game plan / opposition analysis, not recruitment or injuries per se…and translating that onto the grass and back again.  That’s a good concept imho.

FWIW they already have tonnes of “performance” / medical data, the players get it each day / match.  It’s probably why we’ve seen less soft tissue / fatigue injuries over time.  Players themselves taking ownership for understanding their own data.

Physical data already used in Recruitment.  I was trying to get Gilhespy to give me access to it and Statsbomb when we were doing the Scouting stuff, but he said there were license issues.  Would’vehelped us filter the players @Harry etc were looking at.  So that’s been embedded in recruitment for best part of two years (if not longer).

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Only watched half of it online. Like WSM mentioned last night, it seemed like an episode of Only Fools and Horses…

It's like, am I beyond worried? 

Thinking back to last year's with Nige, RG and BT… we have progressed so much off the pitch :facepalm: It seemed so much more tight and professional compared to last night's. 

Are these muppets really in charge? They really don't appear to have the gumption to succeed. 

Edited by exAtyeoMax
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Been saying that for years.

It isn't.

But that doesn't mean that opinion on here isn't correct, just that its a minority opinion.

I definitely get the point that some of us on here should’ve made more of an effort to be there, me included.

But if you’re saying that last nights attendees are representative of the majority then I’m very very happy to be part of the minority on here that’s for sure.  99% a complete waste and let JL and BT off the hook regards a lot of areas already discussed on here.  

• Like 4

Just now, lenred said:

I definitely get the point that some of us on here should’ve made more of an effort to be there, me included.

But if you’re saying that last nights attendees are representative of the majority then I’m very very happy to be part of the minority on here that’s for sure.  99% a complete waste and let JL and BT off the hook regards a lot of areas already discussed on here.  

Its exactly what I am saying.

And I agree with you.

I think a lot of this is down to the clumsy and unprofessional way that the NP issue was handled, if it was done respectfully with a bit of recognition of the job that NP did and an explanation of their thinking, it may have been received a bit differently.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I'm surprised/not surprised there wasn't a follow up question to the reply from JL asking specifically what skills BT 'developed' in the five-minutes-of-Phil that rendered these changes workable, and if BT was only a few months away from being ready, why didn't they invest in upskilling Brian rather than making an appointment that they now think they don't need.

In a way they've wasted Alexanders time by appointing him.

• Like 1