IGNORED

SIGNED: Adam Murphy

Nugget

1 minute ago, DaveF said:

I think you'd be surprised. He hasn't played since October and that was at a much lower standard, the game will be a lot faster in the Championship so that match fitness and sharpness is unlikely be there.

I’d bet hes got more legs to command a place over Weimann! 😂

• Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

To be fair ….bcfcshags wasn’t a bad player, but played in a different position to Alex Scott 😉

Always remember he got sent off against the team I played for 

Dodgy keeper I heard 🤣🤣🤣

13 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Firstly I’m not sure he’s been registered in time.

Secondly I believe his last game was in October.

Lastly you have no idea how he compares to those currently on the bench.

I expect him to be involved in the match day squad within the next month or so but definitely for the experience rather than expecting him to be another Scott.

Any reason why you think that.  Just been looking at last season’s rules, and couldn’t see anything other than international clearance being required.

(FWIW I don’t expect him to be selected)

12 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yea definitely. Just the announcement feels like a first team signing. Not saying he won’t play some u21 games to start though I think he’ll be involved Sunday. Just think he’s been signed to play and get chances to play not develop slowly(like u21 for the rest of the season).  

Undoubtedly a first team group signing.

• Like 2

I believe the actual agreement to sign was before Xmas, what was actually signed then I don't know and presumably the registration had to wait until now as well the International Clearance. 

He has been playing men's football, no matter the level for 2 years, so we have to be careful we don't stifle him in the U21's. Others that have come through a similar route actually find U21 football because it's kind of artificial.

All things being equal he could be on the bench by the end of the month at the latest.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to SIGNED: Adam Murphy

Great first interview. Confident, well spoken, thought about his responses and came across really well. Seems to have a good head on his shoulders to go with his obvious talent.

Good luck to him 👍

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

The opportunity being given to young players over the last few years could turn out to be massive for us, young players are starting to city as a real pathway in to 1st team men's football and maybe on to bigger clubs, which will see us getting the cream of players instead of loosing out like we have done for years

No. Not unless, at some point, we don't flog them.

Scott had to be - all part of the masterplan that requires a Poster Boy for all other academy signings, someone you can point to and say - sign for us because... behold... look what happens to young lads when they join Bristol City.

But at some point... we have to get to the Premier League, not just them. And that involves  at some point in the future, retaining the new Geoff Merrick and Tim Ritchie and telling Arsenal, like Sir Alan did, to do one.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I wonder if they knew he was coming for a month or so, he got put on a fitness program to help him get his fitness levels up.

Anyway, glad it's over the line. Next please.

Was thinking this, looks much bigger in his interview then some of the clips I’ve seen of him! 

13 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Scott had to be - all part of the masterplan that requires a Poster Boy for all other academy signings, someone you can point to and say - sign for us because... behold... look what happens to young lads when they join Bristol City.

But at some point... we have to get to the Premier League, not just them. And that involves  at some point in the future, retaining the new Geoff Merrick and Tim Ritchie and telling Arsenal, like Sir Alan did, to do one.

Don't disagree, I have always said the only way we will get to the prem is by developing our own players and growing a team. The issue will always be the more successful you are the more attention they get. 

Scott was a generational talent that we were always a stepping stone, once he wanted the move that was it. But if you can build a team of good players on reasonable lengths contracts you have a chance of being able to keep them and they wanting to be apart of the journey.

We will always be a selling club, as cannot afford not to be as player profits are important, but that does not mean if finances are OK you cannot resist and build as well.

6 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Don't disagree, I have always said the only way we will get to the prem is by developing our own players and growing a team. The issue will always be the more successful you are the more attention they get. 

Scott was a generational talent that we were always a stepping stone, once he wanted the move that was it. But if you can build a team of good players on reasonable lengths contracts you have a chance of being able to keep them and they wanting to be apart of the journey.

We will always be a selling club, as cannot afford not to be as player profits are important, but that does not mean if finances are OK you cannot resist and build as well.

Finances will be okay, up to SL and the club to stand firm for a year or 2, build around and see where it takes us.

5 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

But if you can build a team of good players on reasonable lengths contracts you have a chance of being able to keep them and they wanting to be apart of the journey.

You've no chance of keeping them.

The riches on offer in the Prem nowadays will always sway a youngster to leave. 

Unlike the 70s, when Alan Dicks could make a persuasive case to the players concerned that jumping straight to Arsenal at the first hint of an offer wasn't the way to go - not least because there wasn't such a massive disparity in wages back then (we were big payers).

Unlike today, where the disparity us massive.

So our strategy is flawed unless you simply say to the players "you ain't going nowhere and we're going to the top flight together".

Which is what Dicks said to Merrick and Ritchie.

Source? Tom Ritchie 👍

• Like 6

1 hour ago, View from the Dolman said:

This one is getting a slightly different level of treatment including a signing interview...

1 hour ago, INCRED said:

Seems like a very confident lad and a good sense of humour. For an eighteen year old he speaks very well and certainly has high ambitions 

I think he will fit in very well 

Yeah he looks so calm and confident, and also physically strong for his age. You can't help but feel that he's got something about him...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, George Rs said:

Exactly! Would’ve been a player I’d be happy to see us sign at the start of January not right on the deadline, oh wait…

We are bargain basement  signing hoping for a gem,then sell, been seeing it for 50yrs now  ,starting to wear  thin.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

His body size wouldn’t have changed in a month - but yeah, hope he’s near the first team sooner than later.

My body shape changed substantially in just a week - Christmas week!

• Haha 11

On 31/12/2023 at 12:07, Bat Fastard said:

For a talented 18 year old, who may sell for £millions in a couple of years time, it looks like great value.

I heard Bournemouth were at the signing sorting out how much they are gonna sign him for in 2 years 

6 minutes ago, downendcity said:

My body shape changed substantially in just a week - Christmas week!

I share your pain 

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Unfortunately I cant see us getting there with the current owners, especially if we can carry on churning out more young talent and selling them for big bucks, I think they see it as a gamble that may cost too much, risk management..................or some otherbollocks!!!

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

You've no chance of keeping them.

The riches on offer in the Prem nowadays will always sway a youngster to leave. 

Unlike the 70s, when Alan Dicks could make a persuasive case to the players concerned that jumping straight to Arsenal at the first hint of an offer wasn't the way to go - not least because there wasn't such a massive disparity in wages back then (we were big payers).

Unlike today, where the disparity us massive.

So our strategy is flawed unless you simply say to the players "you ain't going nowhere and we're going to the top flight together".

Which is what Dicks said to Merrick and Ritchie.

Source? Tom Ritchie 👍

You’re right.

The other big difference is back then there was no freedom of contract.

If you were under contract you couldn’t leave & even when your deal expired if your club offered you a new one you couldn’t refuse it & go elsewhere.

The Arsenal bid was in 1976 but this state of affairs lasted until 1979 when Gary Collier was one of the first to move clubs in this fashion.

Jean Marc Bosman’s court case in 1995 then made it possible to move on for free.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

Can’t wait for them to announce tomorrow his head has fallen off in training and he is out for the season. Standard City 

To be followed 6 months later by …. he’s had a setback in his recovery. Due to his head being fixed the wrong way round, we expect another 12 months before he’s back on the grass. 

In 10 years time, after a dozen other players had their heads fixed back the wrong way, Tins at the annual Fans Forum, advises that the Club are considering launching an investigation into why so many players had backward facing heads.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Seems to be a very intelligent mature lad. It's very difficult to not make comparisons with Scott. 

Whilst I've read that others think it will be a while before we see him in the 1st team, with our depleted squad, it really won't take much for him to make the bench. It wasn't all that long ago that we couldn't even name 9 subs. 

14 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Seems to be a very intelligent mature lad. It's very difficult to not make comparisons with Scott. 

Whilst I've read that others think it will be a while before we see him in the 1st team, with our depleted squad, it really won't take much for him to make the bench. It wasn't all that long ago that we couldn't even name 9 subs. 

Sunderland, 3 or 4 games ago.

Edited by GrahamC