IGNORED

Have we just entered a new period in the history of Bristol City

Top Robin

45 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Yes heard this yesterday, found it very interesting. It was Ali saying it (George is the slightly posher one, and an Oxford fan). We speak a fair bit on OSIB DM’s, they’re both extremely good eggs. 

I found the man management point one that literally all City fans need to hear and take in, especially those who throw around the ‘cult of Nige’ ‘I told you so’ type comments. 

Would Manning have picked us up off the floor, with his personality and way of operating, in a culture that was so bad that players were hiding in the HPC to get out of training, in the way Pearson did? I wouldn’t have thought so. 

Would Pearson have us playing in such clear, structured, extremely detailed levels of preparation that clearly went into the Watford game? Again, I wouldn’t have thought so. 

There’s almost no point comparing who is ‘better’, when they are clearly both so different, with very different skill sets, who we clearly needed at the club at very different times. 

Think that summarises the situation very well. It’s easy to forget just how bad the culture within the squad was when Pearson arrived. He was what we needed at the time, Manning certainly appears to be what we need now.

Important not to get carried away though, if we get beat by Birmingham it will be a lot more doom and gloom. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Of course it is...just a blip and you can all get back to actually have some value added hatred for the new style.

Nigel is fine....he has a lot to look back on and is a millionaire...wipe your tears xxx

Please just stop.

For every person who calls Manning a lackey 100 are saying the manner of his appointment wasnt his fault and they truly hope he succeeds because that means likewise for City.

The dislike of Lansdown and Tinnion will not however simply go away regardless of your lobbying. 

Most I feel are pro Manning anti his bosses and Bristol Sport in general.

Jury still out for me but im hopeful.

Last point - Johnson had us playing football against better teams than Watford at a much higher level than what we are seeing currently yet look how temporary that was and how it all ended.

• Like 2
  • Flames 3

1 minute ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Of course it is...just a blip and you can all get back to actually have some value added hatred for the new style.

Nigel is fine....he has a lot to look back on and is a millionaire...wipe your tears xxx

Why don't you grow up FFS.  

Let's get it straight, Against Sunderland and Hull, we DID ride our luck a bit, but I'd also argue, we created our own luck with the battling performance.  Against Watford, that was a straightforward cracking performance and LM can take credit for all three results.  On the field, things are looking very promising, particularly if we can repeat the level of performance shown at Watford a few more times.  It's still early days though and after following City for years, anyone with any sense will want to give it a lot longer before they start creaming themselves about the masterstroke pulled off by our wonderful management team.

From my perspective, Liam Manning is starting to look like he could be a very good fit for us.  The problem for me is, we've now ripped out a very good backroom team and undone some great work that was put in place to make this club more professionally run.  That's all forgotten when we're doing well on the field, but I can see that all come back and bite us later.  That's why the Lansdowns' stock is deservedly now so low with many fans.  Take off the blinkers and look at the bigger picture, before you start chucking insults around like confetti.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

20 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Did Mr P’s post really deserve your response?  He’s one of the most inoffensive posters on here (apart from his Aston Villa posts!), he’s just giving some results context to the debate.

🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 7
  • Flames 2

Having a lazy morning, just watched Sky's re run of the play off final between Blackpool and West Ham from 12 years ago.

The stress involved in that. A lucky goal 5 mins from time..... made me think if/when we ever get to another play off final I think I will go for a walk in the country with my phone switched off.

I know, not a proper fan, better to be in it than not etc.

What I would say is some have short memories. It wasn't that long ago that we were also 8th in the league under NP and having put in excellent performances away at Hull and Swansea, as well as mauling Plymouth at home. And then all the injuries piled up and inevitably the results and league position began to suffer, but not to drastic proportions.

Fair play to LM, but I fully believe that if NP was still here we wouldn't be too far away from where we are currently. It was his squad that he built and now LM is carrying on the good work and long may it continue.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Not at all, I'm more than happy with this little run. The end product of Pring rising again, the revival of Mehmeti.

Let us hope it becomes a big run and grows into something bigger still- no issue whatsoever with Manning, some of the hierarchy I have reservations about.

If Manning achieves here it will be more in spite of rather than owing to the hierarchy. He will paper over their cracks.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, petehinton said:

Yes heard this yesterday, found it very interesting. It was Ali saying it (George is the slightly posher one, and an Oxford fan). We speak a fair bit on OSIB DM’s, they’re both extremely good eggs. 

I found the man management point one that literally all City fans need to hear and take in, especially those who throw around the ‘cult of Nige’ ‘I told you so’ type comments. 

Would Manning have picked us up off the floor, with his personality and way of operating, in a culture that was so bad that players were hiding in the HPC to get out of training, in the way Pearson did? I wouldn’t have thought so. 

Would Pearson have us playing in such clear, structured, extremely detailed levels of preparation that clearly went into the Watford game? Again, I wouldn’t have thought so. 

There’s almost no point comparing who is ‘better’, when they are clearly both so different, with very different skill sets, who we clearly needed at the club at very different times. 

Absolutely brilliant post

One of the best IMO , for a few years 

The last four paragraphs , every City fan , should read , read again and digest

Excellent Pete 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

• Flames 1

8 hours ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Lackey? This proof their is still a few on here that are still sulking...unlike the rest of the support that are fully behind this new era. 

you say we were lucky last three games and yet there were games previous we were robbed by lady luck....

Really don't get your negative stance, as though you are relishing a quick down turn.

Bizarre.

Perhaps Lackey wasn’t the entirely correct term.

I hold the hierarchy of this club in utter disdain. I’m not negative - they’re just not competent. 

I’m not relishing a downturn, au contrere, just a realist in a very competitive division. If Manning can keep the levels then great. But fine margins and all that.

Imagine if LM had Nige to fall back on for some advice from a senior role if players came in and started causing some trouble.....who has he got to go to now?

On another note, for all the back and forth between Nige vs LM, if the board had just signed a couple of extra players in the summer, there's a good chance we'd be in the playoff places now, regardless who your preference is.

• Like 1

On 26/12/2023 at 20:06, Davefevs said:

I tend to look at the league table for City (at least) as who are three points above us, who are three points below us…but of allowance when there are games in hand (loses in hand is what I call them!), so….

image.thumb.png.ba0d59e7c947fa721c174ae5188725ff.png

I was a bit annoyed earlier that Preston beat Leeds, that would’ve knocked them out of my mini-league!

Dave did you put the correct screen up?

The big test will be when Manning has a dip in results again and it will happen becuase it is the nature of this league and the quality of the players that he has at his disposal.

I think he has earned the right already, under shall we just say awkward circumstamces, to be given a real good crack at this job he has been given.

Onwards and upwards   :laugh: call me a sucker,  but I just love those FT fist pumping celebrations.

I'm feeling good about this whole thing.

It's not exactly Nigel who? but I'm really , really warming to our new gaffer and he will need time and patience.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 2

On 28/12/2023 at 11:49, cotswoldred2 said:

One of the most bizarre posts on here for quite a while tbf. The sort of unbalanced, irrational childish ranting you so dislike is exactly the style of post you seem to favour.

It is very possible to appreciate that Manning has had a good start, very much want him to succeed for the benefit of the club and still be concerned at the way it’s being run by the hierarchy.

If Manning is backed by the ownership there are signs in these early games that we can get something going. If he isn’t backed we will be back to same old. It really is the ownerships next move.

What the **** “added value hatred” has to do with anything is genuinely bemusing except to suggest you are on a very small list of posters who are hugely defensive of any remotely critical comment of the manager. It’s a forum, opinions will sway from week to week on the managers decision making…..whoever is manager and however we’ll they are doing.

• Like 5

On 28/12/2023 at 11:49, cotswoldred2 said:

Having read this again, it's partially unintelligible.

Value added hatred makes me laugh ngl.

The uber defensiveness is odd. Manning is going well, hope it continues and we push on, big credit to NP for foundations left and the fact he never had the chance to truly work on an even keel is disappointing.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

9 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

The original post was ridiculous, as are people throwing their toys out of the pram today. This forum is a good read on non match days. Post match, it’s full of absolute drivel.

The drivel was on the pitch today, if it’s reflected on here it really isn’t that shocking!

• Like 1