IGNORED

Forest Green Rovers

Henry

Just as an aside - not sure if many people realise but Forest Green’s training ground is actually here in Chippenham. Quite a long way from Nailsworth! It’s part of a public facility - my son plays up there a lot, often sees the players and was thrilled to meet Matty Taylor recently, as well as Deeney. They’re always friendly so based on that and nothing else I hope they stay up!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Just as an aside - not sure if many people realise but Forest Green’s training ground is actually here in Chippenham. Quite a long way from Nailsworth! It’s part of a public facility - my son plays up there a lot, often sees the players and was thrilled to meet Matty Taylor recently, as well as Deeney. They’re always friendly so based on that and nothing else I hope they stay up!

Swindon train up at Calne nowadays too don't they? Literally less than 5 miles away. 

If so, bit strange to have two teams train that close together yet be about 25 miles apart.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Winterstoke toad said:

Seems pretty clear that Dabo's head has gone in one way or another. He was one missed penalty (his own) away from the Premier League last season but 4 months later he's ended up at the bottom of L2 playing in front of <2000. That's got to have an impact on even the most resilient of mindsets. Probably why no-one else picked him up when Cov let him go. He seemed to be fairly well regarded by the Cov supporters last season.

14 minutes ago, fgrsimon said:

Seems pretty clear that Dabo's head has gone in one way or another. He was one missed penalty (his own) away from the Premier League last season but 4 months later he's ended up at the bottom of L2 playing in front of <2000. That's got to have an impact on even the most resilient of mindsets. Probably why no-one else picked him up when Cov let him go. He seemed to be fairly well regarded by the Cov supporters last season.

During the play off finals the commentators kept mentioning he was gonna be out of contract and I remember thinking I really hope we go for him as he was a solid top 10 rb/rwb . When he signed for fgr I was shocked , what a fall from grace so quickly.

7 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Heard the same but thought that cannot be true. Up Stanley Park?

Just wondering about their new stadium which seems to be taking forever? https://www.punchline-gloucester.com/articles/aanews/forest-green-rovers-latest-on-eco-park-planning-bid

Can't imagine if they ever will be in a position to increase the 5k capacity.

Steve Cotterill to FGR would be a good move, but they are a sinking ship at the moment!

I did smile and roll my eyes at part of that article when Troy was speaking with his analyst.

Quote...

The goal is an example of the kind of decisive counter-attack he wants. “AWTB?” Deeney asks about an abbreviation Sparks uses. “After Winning The Ball,” comes the reply. “I need to learn those,” Deeney says, adding: “I only need five minutes max to reinforce the message. I will make sure it is punchy.”

Why the need to abbreviate a sentence, that when speaking, takes as long to say out loud as the actual words 🤣🤦🤷🤣

Fine in print...but...when spoken!!!

Seems football players and managers now have to deal with the footballing equivalent of corporate talk on a daily basis when dealing with coaches and analyst's. A whole new language to learn as well on the pitch details. 

Like I said...fine when in print, but when speaking!

Anyone else deal with this sort of nonsense in their daily lives in the work place?

3 hours ago, Claverham_Red said:

Just wondering about their new stadium which seems to be taking forever? https://www.punchline-gloucester.com/articles/aanews/forest-green-rovers-latest-on-eco-park-planning-bid

Can't imagine if they ever will be in a position to increase the 5k capacity.

Steve Cotterill to FGR would be a good move, but they are a sinking ship at the moment!

The figures just don’t add up. £100m for the stadium and training facilities for a team the has crowds under 2,000.  The proposed hospitality facilities (bars, restaurants, boxes) of  1,750 seems to be OTT for a club like Forest Green 

Just discussed Deeney behaviour of throwing his full back under the bus.

Martin O’Neill was excellent and put it down to Deeney being an inexperienced manager who made a stupid mistake. Deeney has since apologised to the player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Martin O’Neill was excellent and put it down to Deeney being an inexperienced manager who made a stupid mistake. Deeney has since apologised to the player.

You were chatting with Martin O’Neill??

• Haha 3
  • Hmmm 1

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

And players don’t take too kindly to a public telling off these days as Troy probably didn’t himself a few times !

9 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

And players don’t take too kindly to a public telling off these days as Troy probably didn’t himself a few times !

That was a point that Martin O’Neill made - something like “how would he like it?” 

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

It's an interesting debate. 

Football is a business, yet it's a sport and entertainment. Reliant on fans. Reliant on their money and support. 

It's really unlike an other business. 

It's almost pantomime in many ways. Especially with the fans. 

Perhaps there should be a change in direction when it comes to sharing feelings regarding players performances. 

Just because they haven't in the past, it doesn't mean it's the right approach in this instance. 

Players imo, get wayyyy too much protection...yet managers very little. 

Perhaps it needs to change, and players are made more accountable to the public. 

Managers are slated constantly. 

Yet players get far less imo. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's an interesting debate. 

Football is a business, yet it's a sport and entertainment. Reliant on fans. Reliant on their money and support. 

It's really unlike an other business. 

It's almost pantomime in many ways. Especially with the fans. 

Perhaps there should be a change in direction when it comes to sharing feelings regarding players performances. 

Just because they haven't in the past, it doesn't mean it's the right approach in this instance. 

Players imo, get wayyyy too much protection...yet managers very little. 

Perhaps it needs to change, and players are made more accountable to the public. 

Managers are slated constantly. 

Yet players get far less imo. 

You’re right Spudski. We fans and pundits think that a manager criticising a player in public is a no no. Now I’m not sure why that’s the case but you’re point is spot on.

What’s wrong with a player being thrown under the bus after a poor performance by his manager?

I get that it could destroy said player but could also have the opposite effect and he improves his performances in training - all down to a public kick up the ass - and impresses enough to win his place back.

It could kick the other players up the ass as well - not wanting to be the next one thrown under the bus.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Facepalm 1

16 hours ago, pongo88 said:

The figures just don’t add up. £100m for the stadium and training facilities for a team the has crowds under 2,000.  The proposed hospitality facilities (bars, restaurants, boxes) of  1,750 seems to be OTT for a club like Forest Green 

It's not just that they don't add up, it is literally insane. Every home supporter could be accomodated in hospitality!

The costs were from 4 or 5 years ago and that includes a green business park. Building costs have gone through the roof since then and a large percentage of the UK workforce now work from home. The supporter base is more from the other side of Stroud than west and if he thinks large numbers from Gloucester or Cheltenham or even N Bristol will suddenly start watching he is catastrophically mistaken. The attendances are actually even worse than it appears because almost every other Sat game is Kids Go Free which adds 200-300.  

Last I read Dale Vince was worth £100 million but a high percentage of that is tied up in Ecotricity. So it could quite easily bankrupt him. Would that stop him going ahead, who knows???? His ego and thirst for publicity overrides everything.

Last time I walked down that way J13 M5, Autumn last last year, work was proceding on the new training pitches. Well there were a couple of diggers and a vaguely flat bit of ground but I don't think anything has moved on any further since then.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Not surprising given him criticism of the playing squad and then publicly criticising a player.

Short and not so sweet!

After the outburst was always on the edge.

Deeney probably got a few sacked himself if they upset the players here like he did .

Still had time to get a 4 match touch line ban.

Edited by Markthehorn

• Admin
47 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Not surprising given him criticism of the playing squad and then publicly criticising a player.

Dale Vince was very unhappy about this but also the rest of his interview that day -link is earlier in the thread 

• Like 2

Honestly think Dale Vince has totally lost the plot !!! Deeney’s interview sucked and was a mirror image of JB’s a couple of months ago but what is Vince playing at over the past 3 seasons ? He’s appointing these idiots ! Including caretaker coaches and once a new manager is appointed he will be the 11th person to coach / manage those players since 2021 ……….. and he wonders what the problem is ???? 

Edited by Baldyman
  • Like 6