IGNORED

Forest Green Rovers

Henry

10 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Honestly think Dale Vince has totally lost the plot !!! Deeney’s interview sucked and was a mirror image of JB’s a couple of months ago but what is Vince playing at over the past 3 seasons ? He’s appointing these idiots ! Including caretaker coaches and once a new manager is appointed he will be the 11th person to coach / manage those players since 2021 ……….. and he wonders what the problem is ???? 

I suspect that much like Steve Lansdown, he's desperate to give someone their big break in management and to see them succeed. Unfortunately, unless you get very lucky, there's rather more to it than simply giving someone a job and hoping for the best. At least Vince seems to have realised quickly that the job is too much for Deeney right now. He's made it clear that he'll spend what it takes to keep them up, so he'll need to appoint an experienced, proven name now to get them out of bother. Despite the Cheltenham connection, I'd be going all out to get Steve Cotterill if I were him. For their sake I hope it's not Lee Johnson.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 15/01/2024 at 17:08, Robbored said:

You’re right Spudski. We fans and pundits think that a manager criticising a player in public is a no no. Now I’m not sure why that’s the case but you’re point is spot on.

What’s wrong with a player being thrown under the bus after a poor performance by his manager?

I get that it could destroy said player but could also have the opposite effect and he improves his performances in training - all down to a public kick up the ass - and impresses enough to win his place back.

It could kick the other players up the ass as well - not wanting to be the next one thrown under the bus.

Haven’t you answered your own question? What’s wrong with it is that it could destroy a player.

And equally, yes, for another player it might be a kick up the ass that they respond to positively.

So it’s surely about a) a manager knowing his players well, and b) doing whatever you do in the interest of the player and not the manager. As so often the case, there’s no single right or wrong, it’s not black and white.

I know nothing at all about Dabo, but from the little on here, it feels like he might be the sort of player who struggles confidence-wise and maybe not someone who’ll respond positively.

• Like 2

• Admin
12 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Honestly think Dale Vince has totally lost the plot !!! 

On 13/01/2024 at 21:16, phantom said:

He's a car crash waiting to happen 

Like having Duncan Ferguson in charge wasn't a big enough warning 

I have to admit that it happened much earlier than I expected

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

The chairman clearly isn't a football man, cotts would stabilise them in a few months, out of him and lj, both bound to be mentioned hes clearly mad enough to pick the latter, cotts is to good for that rabble in my opinion 

Some people though just want to work in the game no matter where etc

Being local it could be an ideal fit if even just to the end of the season?

59 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Haven’t you answered your own question? What’s wrong with it is that it could destroy a player.

And equally, yes, for another player it might be a kick up the ass that they respond to positively.

So it’s surely about a) a manager knowing his players well, and b) doing whatever you do in the interest of the player and not the manager. As so often the case, there’s no single right or wrong, it’s not black and white.

I know nothing at all about Dabo, but from the little on here, it feels like he might be the sort of player who struggles confidence-wise and maybe not someone who’ll respond positively.

Don't be soft Dave, ☺️😉if a player can't take public criticism from his manager, then he needs to man up. 

It's only words...if he feels offended by the hurty words, man up and prove him wrong. 

This is what's wrong with this world...a few words of criticism and people melt. 

It's refreshing to hear it. 

Managers always get the flack. 

Players are so protected. 

• Like 1

• Admin
2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Don't be soft Dave, ☺️😉if a player can't take public criticism from his manager, then he needs to man up. 

It's only words...if he feels offended by the hurty words, man up and prove him wrong. 

This is what's wrong with this world...a few words of criticism and people melt. 

I'm sure that next time you make a mistake at work, you get a special mention in your next company newsletter / meeting you will fine with it

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m guessing Spud isn’t self-employed 🤣🤣🤣

I am...but I've been under employment numerous times. 

I feel football is different to normal business. 

The fans being the difference. 

If a footballer doesn't react positively to in house criticism, then what's the next step. 

The fans will be questioning what's going on. 

If you've done your most as a manager to motivate and they don't respond, why let the fans guess as to what's wrong. 

In the same way...if the player wants to leave and doesn't respect the manager...say so. 

The paying fans keep these in employment. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

If a footballer doesn't react positively to in house criticism, then what's the next step. 

If you've done your most as a manager to motivate and they don't respond, why let the fans guess as to what's wrong. 

In the same way...if the player wants to leave and doesn't respect the manager...say so. 

Having a discussion about managers throwing players under the bus is not a subject that I remember seeing debated  on otib before.

When it happens - as with Deeney - overwhelmingly the reaction amongst fans and media is one of outrage and disgust. 

However - why is that so?

I get that a manager publicly calling a player out can have a negative impact on said player who may react poorly but who also react with an “I’ll show you” attitude  and up his game. I can remember GJ publicly blaming Vasko for ‘not doing his job’ after City had conceded a goal. I can’t recall whether or not Vasko played under GJ again.

Clearly the manager knowing the players (which Deeney did not) would determine whether or not a player would react in a positive manner to being thrown under the bus.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, spudski said:

It should not be any different, if the player is not responding to in house efforts then surely not picking that player and / or transfer listing and removing from the first team set up in the way to deal with it. 

I don’t think it needs a public indirect bollocking through a press interview to do it, to my mind it amplifies the weakness of the manager rather than the player. Fans are not daft, they can second guess why someone is not in favour, especially if their recent performances have been that bad.

FGR used to be a fairly well run club, but their managerial appointments of late have all been a bit car crash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spudski said:

This is what's wrong with this world...a few words of criticism and people melt

You sure, spud? Thought you said, last week, it was .... I forget now. Summat or other. Surely, what's wrong with this world, is people being so sure what's wrong with this world (ie other people), or something like that? Plus social media.

30 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Having a discussion about managers throwing players under the bus is not a subject that I remember seeing debated  on otib before.

When it happens - as with Deeney - overwhelmingly the reaction amongst fans and media is one of outrage and disgust. 

However - why is that so?

I get that a manager publicly calling a player out can have a negative impact on said player who may react poorly but who also react with an “I’ll show you” attitude  and up his game. I can remember GJ publicly blaming Vasko for ‘not doing his job’ after City had conceded a goal. I can’t recall whether or not Vasko played under GJ again.

Clearly the manager knowing the players (which Deeney did not) would determine whether or not a player would react in a positive manner to being thrown under the bus.

GJ's son, Lee, also called out Taylor Moore after one game, when, in my opinion, he was not even at fault for the defeat in question.

Totally out of order and unjustified.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

GJ's son, Lee, also called out Taylor Moore after one game, when, in my opinion, he was not even at fault for the defeat in question.

Totally out of order and unjustified.

I remember that - blaming individual players must run in the family.

• Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, spudski said:

So, just to take this back to the context of my post, even if it destroyed that player? You’re still happy that it’s OK?

• Facepalm 1

On 15/01/2024 at 12:08, Robbored said:

You’re right Spudski. We fans and pundits think that a manager criticising a player in public is a no no. Now I’m not sure why that’s the case but you’re point is spot on.

What’s wrong with a player being thrown under the bus after a poor performance by his manager?

I get that it could destroy said player but could also have the opposite effect and he improves his performances in training - all down to a public kick up the ass - and impresses enough to win his place back.

It could kick the other players up the ass as well - not wanting to be the next one thrown under the bus.

Disagree with this.

In no other reputable business do you publicly throw employees under the bus,  senior figures are held to account & that is their role but it’s unprofessional in any industry to denigrate your staff like that player or not.

He could have tackled this constructively but to be fair he sound thick as mud and good example why not all ex-players have the ability to become Managers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jeez said:

Disagree with this.

In no other reputable business do you publicly throw employees under the bus,  senior figures are held to account & that is their role but it’s unprofessional in any industry to denigrate your staff like that player or not.

He could have tackled this constructively but to be fair he sound thick as mud and good example why not all ex-players have the ability to become Managers.

Since when has the football industry been reputable? 

Yes - it is unprofessional to denigrate a player publicly but both the Johnsons did it.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

4 hours ago, The Coach said:

Odds on Lee Johnson? Seems like a perfect fit with Dale

I can confirm that LJ does not want this job. 
I understand he’s happy to have a period of time out of the game. His last 2 jobs have left him a little disillusioned and he’s enjoying a break from the game (and in particular, his recent experiences, which were not enjoyable). 

Edited by Harry

1 hour ago, Jeez said:

Since when did you start holding up the Johnsons as model professional Managers.

A ‘tongue in cheek’ remark Jeez.

The most unprofessional thing I ever saw GJ do was when he tried to trip up Chopra after he’d scored at AG and ran past the dug outs in celebration - the attempted trip was caught on cameras. Lucky for Chopra GJ had short legs,

Lucky for GJ and the club as well. Had he succeeded the shit would have really hit the fan and GJ would have been sacked before long before he started brawling with his own players down at Argyle in the locker room.

• Facepalm 1