IGNORED

Scott Twine

DaveF

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

So , where does Sykes fit in the grand scheme of things. 

Vs Watford

Screenshot2024-01-31at12_34_32.png.8006b13d0745b709f263c9f7b2ca5eb5.png

Rotation ( like Clemence & Shilton *) doesn't feel an option. I think he could play where Knight is above, but that adds another question. I'd be happy with that though , end up like below.

Screenshot2024-01-31at12_41_21.png.d7eebb6199ce6105f68fb4eccc3f7d96.png

I'd still like to see 2 up top , but that's another conversation on another thread.

Can play with Conway on his own so long as the two behind ie Twine and Sykes can get to him quickly in support and back to defend.

Pearson comes in , states a preference for a back 4 but circumstances plays a back 3.
Down the line, he feels comfortable enough to change, we go back 4 . 
Recruitment was for that and Sykes/Mehmeti seemed signed for that wide man in a front 3.
Manning comes in, states a preference for a back 3 , but early days plays a 4.

Not seeing this seamless transition and joined up thinking for recruitment. Seems like a new man , with different ideas and the squad has to be adjusted accordingly . 
Now Manning might adjust, tweak the side so it works , time will tell but it doesn't look like a plan right now.

59 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd say if Naismith was fit and regularly playing we have a player who can enable an easy transition.

Otherwise no..not so much.

Just a thought, but McCrorie has played in DMF, George is a RB , it looks like a straight forward transition.
Transfermarkt has DMF as his most played role .

• Like 5

Let's go with the McCrorie as DM then. How it may work.

O'Leary

Tanner Vyner Dickie

McCrorie Knight TGH Pring

Sykes   Twine

Conway

Can morph into maybe...

O'Leary

Tanner Vyner Dickie Pring

McCrorie

Sykes Knight TGH Twine

Conway

Elements of could work if all fit but without a fully fit Naismith, perhaps even McCrorie, Sykes and Twine it feels like we're forcing it a bit.

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

No. If he had played on the Monday after the Cardiff game, as was planned by the previous medical team, that would have been rushing him back.

The 45 minutes in atrocious conditions for the U21's that I went to watch went well, as he told me himself after the game how pleased he was that he had no reaction at all from the knee.

The hamstring ( a long standing issue for him) went he was running backwards into position at a free kick, and slightly lost balance. Literally nothing to do with being rushed back or his treatment or anything that could be considered a fault in the process. 

I'm glad that Jon Lansdown has been able to lean on your medical experience. 

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 2

22 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Mate. I share your cynicism of the Tinnion/Lansdown regime, and I do think @Port Said Red errs more on the rose tinted than me, but his source is literally Rob Atkinson here. I’d say the only way he could be more ITK would be if he was having a rampant affair with Big Rob. I’d probably leave this one if I were you.

Are you suggesting @Port Said Red is the dad, not Big Rob?

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Mate. I share your cynicism of the Tinnion/Lansdown regime, and I do think @Port Said Red errs more on the rose tinted than me, but his source is literally Rob Atkinson here. I’d say the only way he could be more ITK would be if he was having a rampant affair with Big Rob. I’d probably leave this one if I were you.

Except my post wasn't just about Rob. It was about numerous players and me saying it's all too much of a coincidence and an ongoing concern of mine. 

I just go by the facts. I don't doubt PSR integrity, however Manning himself said the below which does go slightly against just a in game injury that PSR suggests. 

Considering Rob was out for such a long time, I was surprised that he played a 21s game and then an 11 v 11 in house friendly a few days later. Why PSR is making such a big deal about that, who knows. But hey, according to some posters, we must not question the new regime. If you do, you get called a liar and accused of having an agenda and I think that says am awful lot. 

If anyone is happy with the current ongoing injury issues, then fair play. I'm not and as a fan of Bristol City I'll question why we continue to have these issues. 

Screenshot_20240131_203506_Gallery.jpg

Edited by W-S-M Seagull

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Except my post wasn't just about Rob. It was about numerous players and me saying it's all too much of a coincidence and an ongoing concern of mine. 

I just go by the facts. I don't doubt PSR integrity, however Manning himself said the below which does go slightly against just a in game injury that PSR suggests. 

Considering Rob was out for such a long time, I was surprised that he played a 21s game and then an 11 v 11 in house friendly a few days later. Why PSR is making such a big deal about that, who knows. 

Screenshot_20240131_203506_Gallery.jpg

But….no it doesn’t. And I’ll reiterate, I’m no board defender and am in no way sold on Manning. All LM says there is “when you’ve been out a long time and come back in you pick up a slight twinge elsewhere”. Which he did. In the game. As the article says and as @Port Said Red backs up, it’s something that’s happened in game but Rob has had hamstring issues prior. It’s not linked to rushing back from ACL, it’s a different injury (albeit a legacy one).

With respect, I do get what you’re saying about other injuries (but I don’t think we’re worse than other clubs necessarily), but the thread was indeed doubting PSRs integrity. I’d probably just hold your hands up rather than dig in here, as doing so genuinely lessens other points you’re looking to make.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Nice try, but doomed to failure :yes:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Let's go with the McCrorie as DM then. How it may work.

O'Leary

Tanner Vyner Dickie

McCrorie Knight TGH Pring

Sykes   Twine

Conway

Can morph into maybe...

O'Leary

Tanner Vyner Dickie Pring

McCrorie

Sykes Knight TGH Twine

Conway

Elements of could work if all fit but without a fully fit Naismith, perhaps even McCrorie, Sykes and Twine it feels like we're forcing it a bit.

This is what I would go when fit. Atkinson in red as I don’t think he will be fully fit but if he is then I would swap him in left and Dickie central. 
@Davefevs beat this use of excel 🤣

image.png

Edited by RedorDead BCFC
  • Like 7
  • Flames 1

21 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

This is what I would go when fit. Atkinson in red as I don’t think he will be fully fit but if he is then I would swap him in left and Dickie central. 

image.png

Legendary spreadsheetmanship!

I still can’t see the need for the 3rd CB, when….

IMG_9699.thumb.jpeg.a4f7ec189540858d9dbe2d6e6667d047.jpegIMG_9700.thumb.jpeg.32f7804541a8f92a8b3ec66f60614b94.jpeg

You can shuffle across the pitch as a four.

It was one of the things I liked in the earlier Manning games, where most of us were just crying out for Ross to return (in place of George) and give us the same option in the right (at RB) that Cam was giving us on the left (at LB).

I honestly think it’s a huge waste of ONE player that could be better utilised to create overloads anywhere else in the pitch.

I think he’s really constrained his attacking options by doing this.

+++++

Excel is dead, long live Notability and the Apple Pencil

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

IMG_9699.thumb.jpeg.a4f7ec189540858d9dbe2d6e6667d047.jpegIMG_9700.thumb.jpeg.32f7804541a8f92a8b3ec66f60614b94.jpeg

It was one of the things I liked in the earlier Manning games, where most of us were just crying out for Ross to return (in place of George) and give us the same option in the right (at RB) that Cam was giving us on the left (at LB).

I honestly think it’s a huge waste of ONE player that could be better utilised to create overloads anywhere else in the pitch.

It’s interesting,  as you say , why he chose to move to a 3/5 when RM became available

For as long as I can remember that was always the way you’d play as a back four , if one goes , one stays , and tucks across if the other full back has significantly pushed on.

Common sense really , and I like it if you have two full backs that can bomb on and impact , as the opponents can’t predict at any point where the threat and overload may come from.

On the face of it CP and RM seem ideal to play that way 

Its not difficult either - basic game awareness and communication , and should be a breeze for pros

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

image.png

Truly incredible that anyone would leave out Tanner at present.

In terms of form one of our best players recently.

Also absolutely no idea what TGH has done recently (despite the assist poor otherwise last night) to justify a place over either Williams or James.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

+++++

The George Graham / Arsenal 'rope defence. I think it was Lee Dixon, in an interviews explained they trained as though they were tied together, so they shuffled across as a unit.

I think that was what Nige was working towards, at least until Ross got injured.

That Dixon quote;

It is joked about with George having a piece of rope across the training ground tying us all together. That didn’t happen but in the training sessions he put on we did imagine there’s a piece of rope. So if Lee goes over there you know Tony has to come because I’m pulling him with me, and he’s pulling Steve Bould with him and Nigel’s having to come because he’s got hold of the other end of the rope. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Also absolutely no idea what TGH has done recently (despite the assist poor otherwise last night) to justify a place over either Williams or James.

Leaving Tanner out was a tough one, as I agree he’s been really impressive with McCorie in front. However to fit Sykes in it was either McCorie or Tanner. (And I did mean when players were fit, not coming back from injury slowly) 

TGH and Knight my head was sort of thinking further planning as I can’t see Williams and James being here beyond summer (strangely I had Twine playing) 

But I was working at the time and someone asked me who I would go with. Reading and designing concrete specs and doing this at the same time I was struggling to multitask. I don’t really just sit there on excel this basic honestly 😉

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

While I agree, I think we need to find ways to create more and better chances. One way to do that is get an extra player forward , utilising a back 4 and McCrorie offers more in an attacking sense from FB. 

5 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

While I agree, I think we need to find ways to create more and better chances. One way to do that is get an extra player forward , utilising a back 4 and McCrorie offers more in an attacking sense from FB. 

If we play a back four that still leaves 6 other outfield players to do that.

McCrorie can certainly play wide right, though when available Sykes is obviously a good option there too.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I would.

I think it’s a wasted player…we don’t need 3 CBs, and GT isn’t as important as ZV and RD.  In fact I’d split the minutes of the RB anyway, and drive GT to improve his offensive capability.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I would.

I think it’s a wasted player…we don’t need 3 CBs, and GT isn’t as important as ZV and RD.  In fact I’d split the minutes of the RB anyway, and drive GT to improve his offensive capability.

I have buckets of time for GT , something really likeable , and got some respect for him

But

You are right 

I’d hate to see GT lose his spot , but this is professional football and at times you have to be ruthless and your arguments are actually the pragmatic and sensible view.

(If it wasn’t for the extra pace Of Zak I could see GT competing for a spot in a two with RD)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Leaving Tanner out was a tough one, as I agree he’s been really impressive with McCorie in front. However to fit Sykes in it was either McCorie or Tanner. (And I did mean when players were fit, not coming back from injury slowly) 

TGH and Knight my head was sort of thinking further planning as I can’t see Williams and James being here beyond summer (strangely I had Twine playing) 

But I was working at the time and someone asked me who I would go with. Reading and designing concrete specs and doing this at the same time I was struggling to multitask. I don’t really just sit there on excel this basic honestly 😉

Sadly, we rarely have a fully fit squad to choose from so those sort of selection dilemmas never arise

13 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

I have buckets of time for GT , something really likeable , and got some respect for him

But

You are right 

I’d hate to see GT lose his spot , but this is professional football and at times you have to be ruthless and your arguments are actually the pragmatic and sensible view.

(If it wasn’t for the extra pace Of Zak I could see GT competing for a spot in a two with RD)

Me too, defended him heaps on here.

9 minutes ago, tin said:

Sadly, we rarely have a fully fit squad to choose from so those sort of selection dilemmas never arise

Yep, and why I never really bother with best eleven type debates.  I’m happy for George to play RB too.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

+++++

I agree Dave... i think 4-3-3 is the best way for us to progress. A back 4 of McCrorie, Vyner, Dickie and Pring is more than capable.

Tanner has done well recently as the right sided centre back but it removes the chance to be able to select another attacking player when we play with the back 3/5.

24 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Is the grand total of one game a new record for qualifying for “we really missed him today” about a player?

No. Because if I see one more corner hit the front man again on Friday I’ll run on and take it my bloody self. 

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Jose said:

No. Because if I see one more corner hit the front man again on Friday I’ll run on and take it my bloody self. 

I actually can’t wait for Friday now, looking forward to a guy running on from the crowd, putting in a pin point corner, for Dickie to rise up and plant a header in the top corner. 😀