IGNORED

Scott Twine

DaveF

7 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

For what seems the fifteenth time. Nobody is doubting the quality of the player or the fact he improves our squad, and nobody that I’ve seen is unhappy he’s here.

All anyone is saying is that it may give us a short term boost but may not be sensible long term (both in terms of cost and “starting over”) particularly as this season is not going to result in anything bar mid table. The fact that some won’t accept that’s a valid point is the thing that’s probably more bizarre.

Not allowed to speak sense, sorry!!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

For what seems the fifteenth time. Nobody is doubting the quality of the player or the fact he improves our squad, and nobody that I’ve seen is unhappy he’s here.

All anyone is saying is that it may give us a short term boost but may not be sensible long term (both in terms of cost and “starting over”) particularly as this season is not going to result in anything bar mid table. The fact that some won’t accept that’s a valid point is the thing that’s probably more bizarre.

It's definitely a valid point although slightly over stated on here. To say nothing is going to happen this season is abit premature although maybe realistic. Surely finishing as high up as possible is good for next season i.e signing other players, momentum carried. We will have a better chance with Twine.

• Like 3

I'm going to go against the grain now.
I thought it was a promising debut, the desire to win the header was great. I thought he moved well and gave options, he will only improve as he spends more time with the squad. But I do not see his delivery as so good to get excited about just yet. It may have been decent, it possibly was better than we have been used to, but it was still a bit floaty/loopy. In the right areas undoubtably , but I would like to see more whip and less time for the defence to set.  I'm hoping it gets even better.  I also eagerly wait for his first free kick chance for a shot. 

As for him being here, and I totally get and agree that loans can be pointless and expensive, but if we couldn't get a "Twine" on a permanent and it was felt it was important to how Manning wants to play it might be good value. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I don't think all we're getting is a short term boost, even if he isn't here next season. We're getting a player who helps us get closer to the way Manning wants us to play, in a role not easily filled by anyone else in the squad.

He clearly wants us to play with a 10, or two 10s, and now we can.

And there's a chance we sign him in the summer anyway. If we don't, we look for an alternative with similar attributes.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Harry R said:

I don't think all we're getting is a short term boost, even if he isn't here next season. We're getting a player who helps us get closer to the way Manning wants us to play, in a role not easily filled by anyone else in the squad.

He clearly wants us to play with a 10, or two 10s, and now we can.

And there's a chance we sign him in the summer anyway. If we don't, we look for an alternative with similar attributes.

And to be clear, that’s totally valid as a point of view. But that’s not what you said. You said you thought the negativity was bizarre. What the “negativity” (which I don’t think it is) is, is just a long term concern. And for avoidance of doubt, I agree with @RedRoss that it’s having to be said too many times but it’s precisely because of posts like this which seem to not realise there is another viewpoint!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

And to be clear, that’s totally valid as a point of view. But that’s not what you said. You said you thought the negativity was bizarre. What the “negativity” (which I don’t think it is) is, is just a long term concern. And for avoidance of doubt, I agree with @RedRoss that it’s having to be said too many times but it’s precisely because of posts like this which seem to not realise there is another viewpoint!

OK, fair enough, I don't think your critique is bizarre in itself. What I think is bizarre is how prominent the negative takes have become in the discussion of the Twine signing.

I mean, I see your points as a series of cautious caveats to an exciting loan signing, but they've become the dominant part of the narrative, at least on here.

By exciting, I mean I want to watch him play, I want to watch a City team with a player of his qualities in it, and if that's just for 4 months and then we sign another no. 10 instead I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

• Flames 1

23 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I'm going to go against the grain now.
I thought it was a promising debut, the desire to win the header was great. I thought he moved well and gave options, he will only improve as he spends more time with the squad. But I do not see his delivery as so good to get excited about just yet. It may have been decent, it possibly was better than we have been used to, but it was still a bit floaty/loopy. In the right areas undoubtably , but I would like to see more whip and less time for the defence to set.  I'm hoping it gets even better.  I also eagerly wait for his first free kick chance for a shot. 

As for him being here, and I totally get and agree that loans can be pointless and expensive, but if we couldn't get a "Twine" on a permanent and it was felt it was important to how Manning wants to play it might be good value. 

I think the delivery type (from Twine) depends what side he’s on and where is target is.

Typically if you’re going near post, you want a bit flatter, pacier delivery.  You’re aiming for glances, the pace is on the ball.

If you’re going mid goals, back post, you want it more floaty…you want your targets to be able to adjust and attack the flight to get a head (rather than a glance) on it.

7/10 because he scored.

Looked ok but did not show anything to say £4m.

Needs time to settle in.

Delivery from set pieces looked  pretty good.

Difficult for him to pick passes forward as only Tommy in front of him most of the time.

Do I think he will be the player that makes the difference -No

Why makes the difference - because that is what I would expect if we spend £4m on any player in this market.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think the delivery type (from Twine) depends what side he’s on and where is target is.

Typically if you’re going near post, you want a bit flatter, pacier delivery.  You’re aiming for glances, the pace is on the ball.

If you’re going mid goals, back post, you want it more floaty…you want your targets to be able to adjust and attack the flight to get a head (rather than a glance) on it.

As an aside, I worked out quite quickly that both arms in the air meant outswinger landing just the other side of the penalty spot. Probably needs to be less pronounced 😂

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Harry R said:

OK, fair enough, I don't think your critique is bizarre in itself. What I think is bizarre is how prominent the negative takes have become in the discussion of the Twine signing.

When Nige was moved along, the club came out and told us whoppers. Which has resulted in some/many doubting just about everything they do/say. You reap what you sow, at the end of the day ....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

As an aside, I worked out quite quickly that both arms in the air meant outswinger landing just the other side of the penalty spot. Probably needs to be less pronounced 😂

Or it means “random” and he’s not very accurate, or is very accurate but on a long statistical run of ‘tails’ landing in the same place… or more likely… what you said. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Crackers Corner said:

i was impressed when knight had a chat on a corner and twine appeared to drop it right on the money to give knight a clear chance on goal.  twines corners were far better than anything I have seen this or last season from us.

Said exactly the same,we haven’t had anyone who can take a good corner for years now,as for signing no chance Burnley know he’s top end championship which they will be and we rightly don’t want to pay over the odds,it’s a satisfying outcome for all 

The biggest risk with loan signings is the potential lack of commitment when they are not tied to the club for more than a few months. Twine’s goal showed that won’t be a problem. His determination and commitment to win that header was as good as anyones.

Biggest criticism would be the number of times he tried to clip the ball from left to right into the box which was easily cleared every time. It was clear it wasn’t working.

40 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Regardless of suitability to the LM model, even at Burnley he must be earning a relative fortune, so are we going down that route again ?

He was good btw which is what I expected.

5 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

The biggest risk with loan signings is the potential lack of commitment when they are not tied to the club for more than a few months. Twine’s goal showed that won’t be a problem. His determination and commitment to win that header was as good as anyones.

Biggest criticism would be the number of times he tried to clip the ball from left to right into the box which was easily cleared every time. It was clear it wasn’t working.

Last paragraph  I reckon early days. McCrorie did a nothing pass 2nd half which is totally to be expected .

I thought it was a pretty good debut. Right place right time for the goal and right place to make a few adventurous passes which didn't come off but if that clicks for him it'll be a joy for Knighty, Tommy, Nakhi and those around.

Needs some prompting on tracking and the press imo but hopefully that'll be addressed quickly at the HPC.

Looking good overall and might produce those extra goals and points to move us nearer the top 6 but let's give him time 

Trait wise he reminded me of more advanced playing Charlie Adam in a lot of ways - bloody good set piece, lots of desire, good brain. But a Charlie Adam whose limit is the Championship; not Liverpool. 

For a sensible price he’d be a very good addition. But I don’t think there’s any chance we’d get him for what I think would be a sensible price. 

I think it’s a clever loan move though. I think the way Manning wants us to play requires a player like him. Manning and Twine can start working with and training our forward players to adapt to the movement and running patterns that will be required of them, and then in the summer go and find a similar player at a more reasonable fee. 

Edited by 38MC
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Regardless of suitability to the LM model, even at Burnley he must be earning a relative fortune, so are we going down that route again ?

He was good btw which is what I expected.

I don’t actually think in football terms he’s on a huge wage (it obviously is to the normal working man though!!)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rob k said:

I don’t actually think in football terms he’s on a huge wage (it obviously is to the normal working man though!!)

Dunno Rob I just assumed minimum 25k pw Burnley might be poor relations in the epl but thanks to telly have money to burn compared to us 😁

Not sure how long his contract is there but is a season long loan next year paying part of his wage possible?