IGNORED

Scott Twine

DaveF

Undoubtedly his distribution from open play was very poor yesterday but that I think will improve massively once our players start adapting to his ability. Our style has until now been very predictable and easy to set up against. He adds extra attacking options that we have not had. The half time analysis against West Ham identified how many times our players failed to spot the runs Conway was making. Twine will improve that and improve goal opportunities for Tommy.

As for the loan deal, Whilst we wanted a permanent or a loan-to-buy like TGH I see this more as a ‘Try before we buy’ option which serves to convince us to spend the money in the Summer when many anticipate the purse-strings will be loosened.

12 hours ago, Puckle_red said:

I'm not sure what that is so it's gone over my head! 

Paterson was underrated here, a clever player, technically gifted, could use both feet, score goals, create goals. Often labelled with going missing but I just didnt see that at all. 

Twine was ok today, but hopefully can prove to be as useful as Paterson was. 

One other thing, LM said playing on the left doesn't get the best out of him, and ok, he wasn't hugging the touchline, but he was definitely left of centre.

Thanks @Puckle_red, fair points. For better/worse I’m in the “JP went missing” and was way too hot/cold camp, hence hoping Twine isn’t like JP. Accept that maybe me missing what JP brought, just hope we don’t get into “Twine is making passes his teammates aren’t good enough to understand” etc territory. Not saying you’re saying this, but sometimes players who have greater technical ability get an easy ride in my view - it’s a team sport, if your teammates aren’t up to your level, adjust. Overall, whilst I wouldn’t quite give Twine the review @Harry did, thought there was plenty shown to be very optimistic (and still be a bit disappointed it’s not perm/definitively with an option to buy). 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Does Mehmeti’s development get blocked by Twine’s short term stay here? Personally I thought Mehmeti was have his best run of games for us since you joined a year ago.

I was surprised to see Mehmeti not play any part today. Thought he could have come on for Knight and add spark in the last 10/15 mins or so.

My 2 + 2 that twine can’t play Friday, so was making sure he got as many minutes as possible and keeps anis ‘Fresh’. 

Although is something quite funny about how much was made of his “changing” of Mehmeti, wanted to sign him at Oxford, new lease of life etc and then he’s signed over with the very first player 🤣

15 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

For what seems the fifteenth time. Nobody is doubting the quality of the player or the fact he improves our squad, and nobody that I’ve seen is unhappy he’s here.

All anyone is saying is that it may give us a short term boost but may not be sensible long term (both in terms of cost and “starting over”) particularly as this season is not going to result in anything bar mid table. The fact that some won’t accept that’s a valid point is the thing that’s probably more bizarre.

Think there has been a lot of moaning and negativity about bring in a loan, something that all other clubs do much more than us

So we may as well just give up on the season, don't worry about trying to score goals or entertain the crowd as the playoffs are out of reach

Why, because a player we could only agree to loan at this time, who may or may not be here next season, who is only likely to cost us a relatively small amount as we have offset some of the wages by loaning AW, who could not be signed permanently at this time or he starting over, true Mehmeti did not get on yesterday, but not sure LM see's him in the same role as Twine or have not seen any youngsters ready to step up into a position that is clearly needed to play LM style.

Sorry I cannot see the big issue with taking a good player on loan, who we may still sign, that will improve us even if we are likely to end mid table

• Like 4

We will benefit more from Twine when Sykes returns imo. Didn't think Twine played that badly. Brilliant deliveries from set pieces, scored  goal. Few passes went astray, but same could be said for the whole side yesterday. 6.5/10 for me.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Harry said:

🤣🤣

He made 23 passes. 
His Key Passes stat was 6. 
6 key passes out of 23 passes is bloody well good enough for me. 
So is 6 accurate crosses out of 10. 
That Key Pass stat is higher than any of our players have achieved all season. 
But don’t worry, he gave the ball away 5 times. 🤣

I think the point is that those “key passes”, “assists” came from predominantly set-pieces.

He did ok in general play imho, learning to link up, unsurprisingly.

Encouraging?  Yes.

Passes:

IMG_9649.jpeg.a8bea19c63911dcce1daa315dc7a8531.jpeg

Duels:

IMG_9650.jpeg.d4474db95c488293f44bd71b26acc201.jpeg

Lost Possession:

IMG_9651.jpeg.654f1cc71a2e6870b8e4a864e9024291.jpeg

Passes Received:

IMG_9652.jpeg.aa6eeb83316ba7049dcc90c66ea3830f.jpeg

For me it was a mixed performance, made better by set-piece delivery…which I’m sure is one of the reasons we’ve signed him.  But imho I will expect more as he becomes accustomed to his teammates.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

I thought it looked as though he needs to adjust to new team mates. I agree the vision was good and he attempted some passes that, if they came off, would have been great. But some were too far behind or too far ahead of others. Maybe our players need to learn him as well? 

Think it’s actually a bit of both. What it did show yesterday is that we seem to finally have someone, who is giving some service to our forwards, hence the 16 shots etc.

i think it’s more a case of our players adapting to Twine though. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

Think it’s actually a bit of both. What it did show yesterday is that we seem to finally have someone, who is giving some service to our forwards, hence the 16 shots etc.

i think it’s more a case of our players adapting to Twine though. 

Agree, and it is great to have someone who's able to see the pass and be brave enough to try it. 

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think the point is that those “key passes”, “assists” came from predominantly set-pieces.

He did ok in general play imho, learning to link up, unsurprisingly.

Encouraging?  Yes.

Passes:

IMG_9649.jpeg.a8bea19c63911dcce1daa315dc7a8531.jpeg

Duels:

IMG_9650.jpeg.d4474db95c488293f44bd71b26acc201.jpeg

Lost Possession:

IMG_9651.jpeg.654f1cc71a2e6870b8e4a864e9024291.jpeg

Passes Received:

IMG_9652.jpeg.aa6eeb83316ba7049dcc90c66ea3830f.jpeg

For me it was a mixed performance, made better by set-piece delivery…which I’m sure is one of the reasons we’ve signed him.  But imho I will expect more as he becomes accustomed to his teammates.

I wonder how many of the unsuccessful passes, were  actually down to other player errors, simply not reading the game and not seeing what Twine was seeing was possible and therefore not making the run in time. 
 Either way as you say a good debut and definite potential.

6 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

I wonder how many of the unsuccessful passes, were  actually down to other player errors, simply not reading the game and not seeing what Twine was seeing was possible and therefore not making the run in time. 
 Either way as you say a good debut and definite potential.

I could go back and look at them all, but there were at least 3 where he tried chipped passes beyond the back line that fell short / cleared away.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I could go back and look at them all, but there were at least 3 where he tried chipped passes beyond the back line that fell short / cleared away.

Screamed of someone who still needs to learn his teammates imo. A number of times he passed it behind a player predicting they would come short for the ball and they didn’t. Also tried to slip players behind the defense when they weren’t making the run. 

If we had the confidence to spend 25% of one Scotts fee on another Scott he would be here for the fore-seeable and it would have been an investment as well.....still short sighted at the top of this club and that will get us..........no-where.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah, this is a small red flag to me.

Tanner-Vyner-Dickie

All right footed to some degree.

Tanner not a natural CB.

Perhaps these factors are overstated but to me a back 3 shouldn't be considered until Naismith and Atkinson fully fit.

Assuming Sykes back before those 2.

O'Leary

Tanner/McCrorie Vyner Dickie Pring

Williams James/TGH

Sykes          Knight           Twine

Conway

By no means perfect but surely more aligned than the current setup in some ways.

No Atkinson?

Given we played on Tuesday, wouldn't have trained much on Wednesday nor probably too hard on Thursday, I would suggest he hasn't spent time 'on the grass' as LM puts it, with the majority of the first team players.

Given that, I was not disappointed with ST and look forward to seeing what comes when he, and the forwards, learn each others game.

Edited by Ska Junkie

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He isn't fit yet is he?

Am trying to work a side with the current likely available players and working on the basis that Sykes will be fit and match fit before Atkinson or Naismith.

It was good to see big Rob involved in the video, but I think the plan was always Feb.
Naismith hasn't even been given a timeframe has he ?
Sykes I thought was close, but I don't think I've seen him mentioned lately.

With a fully fit squad I can see the 3 working, but I was surprised we didn't go back to a 4 Saturday.

• Like 1

On 21/01/2024 at 17:06, Mr Popodopolous said:

He isn't fit yet is he?

Am trying to work a side with the current likely available players and working on the basis that Sykes will be fit and match fit before Atkinson or Naismith.

Rob officially joins the "fit squad" on the 28th. He'll need some minutes presumably but the next two U21 games are away and as a general rule they don't like to play returning players in away fixtures. Maybe he will get some minutes off the bench or in a behind closed doors game?

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Rob officially joins the "fit squad" on the 28th. He'll need some minutes presumably but the next two U21 games are away and as a general rule they don't like to play returning players in away fixtures. Maybe he will get some minutes off the bench or in a behind closed doors game?

Be great to have Rob back in the team, especially if the plan is to stick with three at the back as he’ll be the natural left sided defender.

Love to see both big Robs attacking Twines dead ball kicks 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BCFC11 said:

Heard from someone today that he’s picked up an injury and is going to be out for a while.

Hoping it’s not true 🤞🏻

Would just about sum up our luck with injuries wouldn’t it!!!