IGNORED

Scott Twine

DaveF

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Naturally I was very impressed with Twine. 
Lots of comments about his set pieces, which of course will generally be bang on the money. 
But plenty of people saying they thought his ‘general’ play was lacking. 
Not sure what you guys were watching to be honest. 
What I saw was the first time we’ve had a player in bloody years who can find the central spaces behind the striker, receive the ball facing his own goal (which enables the CB’s and CM’s to find a forward pass), control that ball and turn, and make another forward pass. 
It’s how we break the lines and it’s how we’ve always said LM wants to play - but we were always missing that number 10. 

If people don’t think his general play was that good then they just have missed that dozen times he dropped into the hole and enabled us to pass it out. 

His strength will come when we have the patterns that will see the wide players making the third man runs once the ball goes into Twine. Because he will be able to turn and feed the ball forward. 
Sometimes he doesn’t even need to turn - 2nd half he came short for a ball from Dickie, had a man up his backside, but managed to flick a first time pass round the corner straight to Conways feet in the centre circle. 
We’ve not had this type of vision and execution from anyone for a long time - someone offering an option for a pass out from the back AND being able to control it and continue to play forwards. 

Yes, some of the passes he attempts will not come off. But that’s what a creative player has to do. They have to attempt the ball that might only come of 3 times out of 10. That’s what coaches call “being brave with the ball”. It’s taking the opportunity/responsibility to try the difficult things. We will definitely have that with Twine. He will try things. They won’t always come off, but when they do we will find ourselves in good attacking positions. And once we get those runners outside him, I can’t wait!! 

He is a top end Champ player as a minimum who will bed in, improve and make the team better.

Im just puzzled about the loan because I cant see him turning us into a playoff team unless we had that option to sign therefore looking at next year, but I appreciate others see it differently.

• Like 2

Good corners, got up very well for the headed goal but the game passed him by other than that.

Only 1 game of course, but seemed to lack pace and strength, but didnt replace that with quality on the ball or clever passes and vision.

I was hoping for a young version of Jamie Paterson, upon first viewing he's not as good or clever as Paterson in open play.

Hopefully he improves, but part of me isn't really fussed as we've only got him for 4 months!

• Hmmm 1

I take onboard what @Harry says, but I’d say it was a bit gushing.  He got caught / ran into trouble a few times.

I’m not fussed, it’s his debut, he’ll adjust, but I think a tendency to rate based on what he can do rather than exactly what he did do.  Goal on debut, plus a nice, steady start imho.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

Lots of comments about his set pieces, which of course will generally be bang on the money. 
What I saw was the first time we’ve had a player in bloody years who can find the central spaces behind the striker, receive the ball facing his own goal (which enables the CB’s and CM’s to find a forward pass), control that ball and turn, and make another forward pass. 
It’s how we break the lines and it’s how we’ve always said LM wants to play - but we were always missing that number 10. 

If people don’t think his general play was that good then they just have missed that dozen times he dropped into the hole and enabled us to pass it out. 

His strength will come when we have the patterns that will see the wide players making the third man runs once the ball goes into Twine. Because he will be able to turn and feed the ball forward. 
Sometimes he doesn’t even need to turn - 2nd half he came short for a ball from Dickie, had a man up his backside, but managed to flick a first time pass round the corner straight to Conways feet in the centre circle. 
We’ve not had this type of vision and execution from anyone for a long time - someone offering an option for a pass out from the back AND being able to control it and continue to play forwards. 

Yes, some of the passes he attempts will not come off. But that’s what a creative player has to do. They have to attempt the ball that might only come of 3 times out of 10. That’s what coaches call “being brave with the ball”. It’s taking the opportunity/responsibility to try the difficult things. We will definitely have that with Twine. He will try things. They won’t always come off, but when they do we will find ourselves in good attacking positions. And once we get those runners outside him, I can’t wait!! 

@Harry But we need our defence and midfield to mix up the passes they provide. It's all very well to keep going across the back 3/4 and then to the touchlines, left and right, or back to the defence, from whence it came. We must also mix this up with passing forward in the middle of the field and opening opponents defences with a more direct route.

Every time our midfield passes the ball back to defence is, at present, an opportunity wasted.

21 minutes ago, Puckle_red said:

Good corners, got up very well for the headed goal but the game passed him by other than that.

Only 1 game of course, but seemed to lack pace and strength, but didnt replace that with quality on the ball or clever passes and vision.

I was hoping for a young version of Jamie Paterson, upon first viewing he's not as good or clever as Paterson in open play.

Hopefully he improves, but part of me isn't really fussed as we've only got him for 4 months!

⬇️⬇️⬇️

5 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Think if I listed things I was hoping for from Twine, I’d get to “quite good at macramé” before a young Jamie Paterson. 

I like the thinking about style comparison to Pato.  Not quite the same, but I get where you’re coming from.

12 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

@Harry But we need our defence and midfield to mix up the passes they provide. It's all very well to keep going across the back 3/4 and then to the touchlines, left and right, or back to the defence, from whence it came. We must also mix this up with passing forward in the middle of the field and opening opponents defences with a more direct route.

Every time our midfield passes the ball back to defence is, at present, an opportunity wasted.

But that is exactly what Twine offered today. 
Someone to give an option in the central areas for a ball to feet from the back. 
Twine’s presence today allowed us to play that ball about a dozen times today, whereas we’d usually not have had that option and ended up with a sideways pass or a lump down the channel. 
This is exactly what Twine allowed us to do today, to play out quicker 

35 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Think if I listed things I was hoping for from Twine, I’d get to “quite good at macramé” before a young Jamie Paterson. 

I'm not sure what that is so it's gone over my head! 

Paterson was underrated here, a clever player, technically gifted, could use both feet, score goals, create goals. Often labelled with going missing but I just didnt see that at all. 

Twine was ok today, but hopefully can prove to be as useful as Paterson was. 

One other thing, LM said playing on the left doesn't get the best out of him, and ok, he wasn't hugging the touchline, but he was definitely left of centre.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Always recall Wellens saying he was sending Scot out on loan for his benefit and not keep him as backup for the team.  Went to Newport, in the last year of his contract, so by the time he went back to Swindon and scored that wonder goal against Ipswich, live on Sky, there was no way he was staying 😆😆 and Swindon were relegated never to bounce back 😆😆

1 hour ago, Harry said:

We've got the runners, they just need to know its worth making those runs..... they will now.

Also that step over 2nd half that ran through to Tommy, 😉chefs kiss moment but very subtle.

The link up play that he will create, once the rest understand/trust him will see City become the best team I have ever seen.  Even if it is only until the end of this season.

37 minutes ago, Puckle_red said:

Paterson was underrated here, a clever player, technically gifted, could use both feet, score goals, create goals. Often labelled with going missing but I just didnt see that at all. 

One other thing, LM said playing on the left doesn't get the best out of him, and ok, he wasn't hugging the touchline, but he was definitely left of centre.

Really dislike the way we set up and play under Manning, it’s square pegs in round holes, so predictable. Nige would be shaking his head and laughing. I’m sure we will soon recruit a loan physio again……

• Confused 3
  • Facepalm 3

39 minutes ago, Puckle_red said:

I am a big critic of JP, definitely saw him as a 1 in 5 player (😬sorry) but see Scot Twine as a step up, where Paterson failed, Twine will succeed in crafting openings on a regular basis where JP had his best games when he felt he had to prove something, like game at Wigan away after loan at Derby.

Twine just needs to played his best position and has a coach that trusts him - ✅️ and✅

Not entirely sure what people want from a debut other than a goal, someone who made us seriously dangerous from set pieces for the first time in donkeys years and generally made a nuisance of himself high up the park. 

He wasn’t perfect and tried a lot of things that didn’t come off. I was happy he was trying. If he is type of player and style of play Manning wants I’m in.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Really dislike the way we set up and play under Manning, it’s square pegs in round holes, so predictable. Nige would be shaking his head and laughing. I’m sure we will soon recruit a loan physio again……

Yeah, this is a small red flag to me.

Tanner-Vyner-Dickie

All right footed to some degree.

Tanner not a natural CB.

Perhaps these factors are overstated but to me a back 3 shouldn't be considered until Naismith and Atkinson fully fit.

Assuming Sykes back before those 2.

O'Leary

Tanner/McCrorie Vyner Dickie Pring

Williams James/TGH

Sykes          Knight           Twine

Conway

By no means perfect but surely more aligned than the current setup in some ways.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 hours ago, Harry said:

In the first half, he passed to a Watford player 5 out of 6. attempts Not sure what you were watching to be honest. I get the positives, they were there,  but the selective appraisal is weird. 

10 minutes ago, RollsRoyce said:

In the first half, he passed to a Watford player 5 out of 6. attempts Not sure what you were watching to be honest. I get the positives, they were there,  but the selective appraisal is weird. 

🤣🤣

He made 23 passes. 
His Key Passes stat was 6. 
6 key passes out of 23 passes is bloody well good enough for me. 
So is 6 accurate crosses out of 10. 
That Key Pass stat is higher than any of our players have achieved all season. 
But don’t worry, he gave the ball away 5 times. 🤣

• Like 5

5 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Does Mehmeti’s development get blocked by Twine’s short term stay here? Personally I thought Mehmeti was have his best run of games for us since you joined a year ago.

I was surprised to see Mehmeti not play any part today. Thought he could have come on for Knight and add spark in the last 10/15 mins or so.

I thought Mehmeti was going to come on. But we did wonder if he didn’t because Scott was cup tied and they were resting Anis for next week? 

• Like 1

I’m lost, why is everyone crying about him being here for just 4 months? Is there absolute 0 chance of us signing him for next season? If so then excuse me, but I haven’t seen anything to say that we won’t be able to sign him come the end of season, he’s way down the pecking order at Burnley and if they are to get relegated they will have more money to spend again next season which no doubt they will. He hardly played last season from them in the championship. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Harry said:

🤣🤣

He made 23 passes. 
His Key Passes stat was 6. 
6 key passes out of 23 passes is bloody well good enough for me. 
So is 6 accurate crosses out of 10. 
That Key Pass stat is higher than any of our players have achieved all season. 
But don’t worry, he gave the ball away 5 times. 🤣

H - watching with naked eye (and again I think/hope it’s a wavelength thing), I do struggle to remember what from open play could be classed as a key pass (and my determination of that is that it’s either an assist to a chance or an “assist to an assist”) - therefore the number here does surprise me.

Im not doubting its providence, but is it a case that it includes key passes from set pieces and is therefore a bit of the same angle on what’s being said (ie as a minimum McCrorie should have scored from a corner - key pass - from Twine and Dickie nearly did). If it’s fully open play, I didn’t see that volume of key passes.

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

H - watching with naked eye (and again I think/hope it’s a wavelength thing), I do struggle to remember what from open play could be classed as a key pass (and my determination of that is that it’s either an assist to a chance or an “assist to an assist”) - therefore the number here does surprise me.

Im not doubting its providence, but is it a case that it includes key passes from set pieces and is therefore a bit of the same angle on what’s being said (ie as a minimum McCrorie should have scored from a corner - key pass - from Twine and Dickie nearly did). If it’s fully open play, I didn’t see that volume of key passes.

With you. Harry makes it sound like Hoddle was in the middle of the park spraying passes around for fun.

13 hours ago, 38MC said:

Trait wise he reminded me of more advanced playing Charlie Adam in a lot of ways - bloody good set piece, lots of desire, good brain. But a Charlie Adam whose limit is the Championship; not Liverpool. 

For a sensible price he’d be a very good addition. But I don’t think there’s any chance we’d get him for what I think would be a sensible price. 

I think it’s a clever loan move though. I think the way Manning wants us to play requires a player like him. Manning and Twine can start working with and training our forward players to adapt to the movement and running patterns that will be required of them, and then in the summer go and find a similar player at a more reasonable fee. 

I agree with this. The problem as I see it and has been mentioned is that to play this system well you need very good players. Look at the difference for example between Russell Martin at Swansea and at Southampton. Same style and processes. Different outcomes. I would argue that the difference is the quality of players in the two sides.  

To be successful at this level with the style the board want will require us to have more players of the level of Scott Twine. By their nature they will cost, both in fee and wages. Can you really see this regime going out and spending that on 4 or 5 players of that level? 

We need a Scott Twine 'type' player. Ww currently have the ultimate Scott Twine 'type' player in the man himself. However we are unwilling/unable to afford him. I don't know how we square that circle other than adopting a more pragmatic style. However that is not why LM was employed. The club knew what his style was and have backed it. Let's see if they are really serious or not

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

26 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

With you. Harry makes it sound like Hoddle was in the middle of the park spraying passes around for fun.

To answer my own question here’s the confirmation from the Evening Post

IMG_2308.jpeg

IMG_2309.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Buster Footman's T shirt said:

I agree with this. The problem as I see it and has been mentioned is that to play this system well you need very good players. Look at the difference for example between Russell Martin at Swansea and at Southampton. Same style and processes. Different outcomes. I would argue that the difference is the quality of players in the two sides.  

To be successful at this level with the style the board want will require us to have more players of the level of Scott Twine. By their nature they will cost, both in fee and wages. Can you really see this regime going out and spending that on 4 or 5 players of that level? 

We need a Scott Twine 'type' player. Ww currently have the ultimate Scott Twine 'type' player in the man himself. However we are unwilling/unable to afford him. I don't know how we square that circle other than adopting a more pragmatic style. However that is not why LM was employed. The club knew what his style was and have backed it. Let's see if they are really serious or not

They will be desperate for Manning to succeed. I think they will find a way to finance this deal If Manning believes hes the player that will make the difference. The only thing that will get in the way is Burnley’s relegation 

• Like 1

Just now, Rob k said:

They will be desperate for Manning to succeed. I think they will find a way to finance this deal If Manning believes hes the player that will make the difference. The only thing that will get in the way is Burnley’s relegation 

I think that is true. However we will need 3 or 4 players of this level to be consistent over a whole season