IGNORED

Magnanimous Ian Gay!!

JP Hampton

This discussion seems rather nonsensical. Isn’t it ironic that we’re criticising someone for expressing their opinion on a forum specifically designed for discussing opinions? Unlike Ian, who is open about his views, @W-S-M Seagull was invited on the pod to discuss his, but he has declined an invitation. That speaks volumes. Maybe the username W-S-M Chicken would be more appropriate? 

@headhunter mentioned that anyone could participate in the conversation, so why not step up if you’re fed-up of Ians view? Unfortunately, it seems unlikely anyone will.

While Ian is undeniably opinionated, aren’t we all? The real issue lies in hiding behind anonymous usernames while sharing our perspectives. At least Ian doesn’t do that. 

Edited by Tim Monaghan
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

This is peak OTIB, people moaning about a podcast that is public domain and that there is no compulsion to listen to.

Don’t like the concept of a fan’s podcast? Brill, great don’t listen.

Don’t like a regular contributor? That’s fine, don’t listen.

Disagree with a view expressed, if listening live then get involved on the chat, if not then skip the audio on by 30 seconds..

• Like 2

The "Cider with..." Podcasts that OSIB produced were absolutely superb and are sadly missed. 

As another poster said, when OSIB fizzled out, I haven't really picked up on another. Robins on the wire was good because although it was Gregor and Michelle so very much a mainstream discussion it gave some great analysis. So you had Robins for the more journalistic opinion and OSIB for the irreverent, run review.

Fan led podcasts are great for getting debate going especially as club media is so tightly controlled these days. At the end of the day it's all about choice. You can choose to listen, choose to engage or choose not to. 

We've come a long way since a write up in the post, Phil Tottle,Ceefax and Club Call.

Edited by Midlands Robin
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, JP Hampton said:

Look seeing as I started this thread, let me clear things up. @Cole Not Gas read my post properly. I am not suggesting anywhere that Ian or anyone else doesn’t have the right to an opinion. I think Ian can hold his own, it’s not his opinions about how we’ve played etc that smacks of double standards. Are you going to jump to the defence of everyone who gets highlighted on here who are similarly singled out? He’s on a public broadcast, it’s going to happen and I’m quite sure he’s well aware of it.  

And again I’ve said before I agree with much of what he says and he’ll always say what he thinks. That’s why it’s so obvious when he’s suddenly so ingratiating . It’s his attitude of openness and disregard of failures, that may arise under Manning, (particularly evidencing that’s it’s still Pearson’s team), that was hard to swallow. 

Again and I’ve said it before, I really enjoy the podcast, it’s balanced out by different characters and opinions.Great. @Curr Avon  @headhunter @TomSutton and any other regular guests I enjoy the podcast in case others make out I’m slagging the podcast off as a whole. You only have to read the original post to see that’s not what I’ve said, despite some trying to suggest otherwise. 

Ian can say what he likes (this really wasn’t intended to be such a big deal) but by the same token so can others. 

Aaaaaaah why did I even bother!!

It’s not the podcast!!!!!!

@BexhillRed and @Tim Monaghan please don’t make this about “opinions” and then be surprised when someone else has theirs!

To believe that the answer lies in “well don’t listen then” is ridiculous. Ian makes up a part of the whole listening experience and anyone is quite within their rights to question anything that’s said. 😟 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Well how I see it...imagine speaking like it in front of a City manager, staff and the players...and what they think about it. 

That thought makes my toes curl 🙈🙄😆

Another reason that I haven’t requested to join the pod cast is that other posters would see my good looks  although im not as handsome as I once was - age waits for no man……:sad26:

• Haha 1

@ashton_fan

The stagnating bit is subjective and perhaps a bit negative slanted by me, but the win ratio, PPG, some underlying numbers, win ratio all the same.

The highs can seem higher under Manning so far, but the lows..well it can be like going back 2 years when we were still very much in firefighting mode. IMO anyway.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

5 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

Aaaaaaah why did I even bother!!

It’s not the podcast!!!!!!

@BexhillRed and @Tim Monaghan please don’t make this about “opinions” and then be surprised when someone else has theirs!

To believe that the answer lies in “well don’t listen then” is ridiculous. Ian makes up a part of the whole listening experience and anyone is quite within their rights to question anything that’s said. 😟 

And you’ve got a means to question anything, there is a fairly active You Tube comments section during the live recording.

My response was to more aligned another comment about fans podcasts overall and one of the contributors.

It just seems odd to be uber-critical on what is unofficial, subscription-fee free output produced by a group of individuals in their own time. It does not help that this thread has been turned into a kicking session for one of the more outspoken contributors, although not the fault of you nor the intention of you as the OP.

@petehinton and @exAtyeoMax

You gave me confused looks. 😊

The point I'm making is these fans talking with such authority and opinion are giving views based on watching games and any info given out by the club. 

They have no idea of the inner works and details. 

If you were at work and had people giving very opinionated views without the full inside knowledge you'd be like wtf and laughing. 

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

The point I'm making is these fans talking with such authority and opinion are giving views based on watching games and any info given out by the club. 

If you were at work and had people giving very opinionated views without the full inside knowledge you'd be like wtf and laughing. 

It’s no different to a bloke in the pub talking who’s got a mate who’s got a mate etc etc.

if it was output that was proposing to be “official” or something that required a paid subscription then you’d have a point, but this is just 3 or 4 contributors giving their own views post match, one of whom may or may not be getting fed titbits of information on a medium that is put out for voluntary public consumption. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

It’s no different to a bloke in the pub talking who’s got a mate who’s got a mate etc etc.

if it was output that was proposing to be “official” or something that required a paid subscription then you’d have a point, but this is just 3 or 4 contributors giving their own views post match, one of whom may or may not be getting fed titbits of information on a medium that is put out for voluntary public consumption. 

You miss my point...by being public it is accessible for managers, club officials players to hear. It's not a private conversation with mates. 

The thought of players, managers and the like listening to it and seeing who it is so publicly makes me feel sorry for them. 

Just my view...others see it differently. 👍

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

You miss my point...by being public it is accessible for managers, club officials players to hear. It's not a private conversation with mates. 

The thought of players, managers and the like listening to it and seeing who it is so publicly makes me feel sorry for them. 

Perks of the job… it’s a bit like actors in that they shouldn’t read reviews (but they do), and after the guff that was served up on Saturday perhaps one or 2 of the team should be made to listen…

58 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

The "Cider with..." Podcasts that OSIB produced were absolutely superb and are sadly missed. 

As another poster said, when OSIB fizzled out, ai haven't really picked up on another. Robins on the wire was good because although it was Gregor and Michelle so very much a mainstream discussion it gave some great analysis.

Fan led podcasts are great for getting debate going especially as club media is so tightly controlled these days. At the end of the day it's all about choice. You can choose to listen, choose to engage or choose not to. 

We've come a long way since a write up in the post, Phil Tottle, Ceefax and Club Call.

We too do the occasional one to one interviews like "A Cider with ... and the 3 Peaps equivalent, "Robins Reunited"

Here's one I did last year with Gary Shelton: https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-giwpn-1432e11

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, spudski said:

They really aren’t, and I don’t think any fan really genuinely speaks or thinks like that. My confusion was more around your comment about how it’s “odd people put so much effort into a hobby”. 

So should we all just sit inside silent and stare at a wall all day? God forbid people spend time doing what they enjoy….

The huge growth in podcasts as a platform over the last 10 years, regardless of subject matter, suggests you’re probably in a v small minority with your views - which is fine! Just like it’s fine for people to produce whatever work they wish. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

They really aren’t, and I don’t think any fan really genuinely speaks or thinks like that. My confusion was more around your comment about how it’s “odd people put so much effort into a hobby”. 

So should we all just sit inside silent and stare at a wall all day? God forbid people spend time doing what they enjoy….

The huge growth in podcasts as a platform over the last 10 years, regardless of subject matter, suggests you’re probably in a v small minority with your views - which is fine! Just like it’s fine for people to produce whatever work they wish. 

I do agree if you’re spending time doing something you’re passionate in and it’s doing no harm it’s all good.

Even if we had no one listen we would still gather and speak our opinions as it’s something we care about. If it’s not for you I completely understand but you don’t have to listen or engage with what we post and none of us will hold it against you. For some I understand you don’t agree with our opinions and may think we are speaking on topics we’re uneducated on as none of us are professional we don’t claim to be. 

it’s something we care about and I enjoy coming on the forums and the podcast to speak about city as I’ve changed so many of my opinions due to others views some things resonate with you and makes sense some doesnt that’s perfectly okay.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TomSutton said:

I do agree if you’re spending time doing something you’re passionate in and it’s doing no harm it’s all good.

Even if we had no one listen we would still gather and speak our opinions as it’s something we care about. If it’s not for you I completely understand but you don’t have to listen or engage with what we post and none of us will hold it against you. For some I understand you don’t agree with our opinions and may think we are speaking on topics we’re uneducated on as none of us are professional we don’t claim to be. 

it’s something we care about and I enjoy coming on the forums and the podcast to speak about city as I’ve changed so many of my opinions due to others views some things resonate with you and makes sense some doesnt that’s perfectly okay.

When we started OSIB in 2017, recording everything face to face every week sometimes twice a week until lockdown hit, me driving from worle to bemmy most Sundays and taking up 9am-2pm pretty much everytime, Stan doing even more than that lugging his laptop and mics all across London each morning and editing each episode until most Sunday evenings, I can safely say at no point did any of us think “this is so great, everyone’s going to think we are the most well informed fans across the entire fanbase” 🤣🤣

• Like 9

The show has improved with @TomSutton and @NcnsBcfcwho add balance. Proved this week when Tom spoke about the QPR goal, “it was a good goal”, “difficult to track that type of run”. People who have played the game make a difference to the standard of discussion.

In fairness to @headhunter he does a good job of bringing everyone into the discussion and more recently has been challenging Ian on his points.

Ian’s double standards are frustrating but the one thing that really annoys me about Ian is his rudeness. He does say the odd interesting thing but his manners are awful. If someone spoke to me like Ian does to Mark/Dave I would remove him from that pod there and then and let him back in when he can be more respectful. It’s normally at those points I switch the pod off! 

Keep up the good work @headhunter

• Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, spudski said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

33 minutes ago, spudski said:

OTIB is public, accessible to all, as is Twitter / X.  Just a different medium.

They don’t have to know the inner workings, they’re representing (in the main) a fans view of what is going on.

In my own case, the stuff I posted publicly on Twitter got noticed by the club (positively I hasten to add 😉).  That wasn’t my aim, but it was a nice bit of recognition nonetheless.

2 hours ago, Tim Monaghan said:

This discussion seems rather nonsensical. Isn’t it ironic that we’re criticising someone for expressing their opinion on a forum specifically designed for discussing opinions? Unlike Ian, who is open about his views, @W-S-M Seagull was invited on the pod to discuss his, but he has declined an invitation. That speaks volumes. Maybe the username W-S-M Chicken would be more appropriate? 

@headhunter mentioned that anyone could participate in the conversation, so why not step up if you’re fed-up of Ians view? Unfortunately, it seems unlikely anyone will.

While Ian is undeniably opinionated, aren’t we all? The real issue lies in hiding behind anonymous usernames while sharing our perspectives. At least Ian doesn’t do that. 

Are you implying that i am not infact ...... A turtle??? 

Worse, i am not THE turtle.

Outrageous 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, spudski said:

My lad was at a decent local side a couple of years ago before he went to Uni (pretty high in the pyramid) and their players used to read their forum on the way home from away trips and literally took the piss. It would be like “Smithy, you know that 25 stone lardass Dave, he reckons milk turns quicker than you”. The point being many players do read these forums and just have a laugh about it.

2 hours ago, bexhill reds said:

This is peak OTIB, people moaning about a podcast that is public domain and that there is no compulsion to listen to.

Don’t like the concept of a fan’s podcast? Brill, great don’t listen.

Don’t like a regular contributor? That’s fine, don’t listen.

Disagree with a view expressed, if listening live then get involved on the chat, if not then skip the audio on by 30 seconds..

This. ******* bonkers 

1 hour ago, bexhill reds said:

Perks of the job… it’s a bit like actors in that they shouldn’t read reviews (but they do), and after the guff that was served up on Saturday perhaps one or 2 of the team should be made to listen…

I'm sure they'll take on board what they say seriously. 🙈😆 It imo is why you hear from professionals that fans haven't got a clue what they are talking about. 

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

You'd be surprised how many do. 

I'm probably in a group of people that couldn't give a monkeys about it...but I've dared to mention it. 

If you read my post...I said about doing other interests, not just football 👍

God forbid you reading that 🙈😆

46 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

OTIB is public, accessible to all, as is Twitter / X.  Just a different medium.

They don’t have to know the inner workings, they’re representing (in the main) a fans view of what is going on.

In my own case, the stuff I posted publicly on Twitter got noticed by the club (positively I hasten to add 😉).  That wasn’t my aim, but it was a nice bit of recognition nonetheless.

40 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

My lad was at a decent local side a couple of years ago before he went to Uni (pretty high in the pyramid) and their players used to read their forum on the way home from away trips and literally took the piss. It would be like “Smithy, you know that 25 stone lardass Dave, he reckons milk turns quicker than you”. The point being many players do read these forums and just have a laugh about it.

Dave...Number 1 makes my point 😆👍

Edited by spudski

20 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Brian Tinnion is feeding him info either directly or indirectly.  Directly is my guess.  And it’s not unusual for clubs to do this either, sometimes for good reasons, sometimes to try and offset some flak.

If I was the club, getting a bit of stick from fans, who would I choose (against my better judgement) - a Nige-hater with a big opinion.  Ian fits the bill perfectly to be a LM / Club advocate.

image.jpeg.592d7cb5ff99c0bcfcbde1cc0b476176.jpeg

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Of course they read the forum but not all laugh at what they see especially if the comments aimed at them are negative - I  know this as 100% fact. Some are particularly upset by negative remarks.

Thats largely why I rarely criticise any player.

Manning claims that he doesn’t read social media - I don’t t believe that for a second. Of course he reads it! 

2 hours ago, spudski said:

So, I think what most people are saying that they take IG with a pinch of salt, although he could be being fed info directly from someone in the club. 

I think you are being disingenuous here, everyone gossips and gives their opinion, if you take that as gospel that's up to you.

I don't see discussing the game or the club as cringey, it's no worse than MOTD or SKY sports pundits.