IGNORED

Back him, or Sack him

Sack him, or Back him.   

499 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

So CEO Marshall was the only one who categorically said PROMOTION was the aim THIS SEASON.

If he said anything else, he would have been pilloried and rightly so. How we have gone from this glib comment to a general feeling of entitlement to promotion is simply baffling.

3 minutes ago, RedZepperin said:

If he said anything else, he would have been pilloried and rightly so. How we have gone from this glib comment to a general feeling of entitlement to promotion is simply baffling.

In which case the change was not necessary.

Not saying I expect or expected promotion this year fwiw but if a Senior Representative of the organisation states this following a change of manager, it piles on some unnecessary heat, noise and pressure.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In which case the change was not necessary.

The easier option was to renew his contract. They would have saved themselves a lot of flak. They thought that getting someone else in would be better for the club. The CEO, who had been in the job for what, weeks? just said what he thought was the right thing to say at the time. It reminds me of when Bernd Schuster was managing Real Madrid and, when asked whether they could beat Barcelona in the next game, he said that was "impossible". He was sacked a couple of days later. 

It is pretty clear they fell out with Nige. I really like Nige but it's not uncommon for him to fall out with his employer. Lansdown struggles with "spikey" types. It was an accident waiting to happen really (but we're fortunate Nige got us in much better shape before it did).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RedZepperin said:

The easier option was to renew his contract. They would have saved themselves a lot of flak. They thought that getting someone else in would be better for the club. The CEO, who had been in the job for what, weeks? just said what he thought was the right thing to say at the time. It reminds me of when Bernd Schuster was managing Real Madrid and, when asked whether they could beat Barcelona in the next game, he said that was "impossible". He was sacked a couple of days later. 

Words matter.

Senior leader in a sit down interview should choose these carefully.

An orderly transition in the summer could have been better granted, to perhaps a better fit of a candidate, (jury remains out) but tactically in a consistency continuity sense.

I'd have looked to gets in and a g8vr a 3 year deal with better backing but this mid season change...hmm.

4 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

It is pretty clear they fell out with Nige. I really like Nige but it's not uncommon for him to fall out with his employer. Lansdown struggles with "spikey" types. It was an accident waiting to happen really (but we're fortunate Nige got us in much better shape before it did).

And about to be pissed up the wall.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

An orderly transition in the summer could have been better granted, to perhaps a better fit of a candidate, (jury remains out) but tactically in a consistency continuity sense.

Was NP really behaving in a way that suggested he would cooperate in an "orderly transition"?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, RedZepperin said:

Was NP really behaving in a way that suggested he would cooperate in an "orderly transition"?

It feels a stupid and needless call to have made anyway..my preference was a new 3 year deal and reasonable financial backing personally.

I think a lot of fans would've appreciated it. I was fine with his actions, the hierarchy were in the wrong anyway...now look a fractured fanbase, here and social media it is crap.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It feels a stupid and needless call to have made anyway..my preference was a new 3 year deal and reasonable financial backing personally.

I think a lot of fans would've appreciated it. I was fine with his actions, the hierarchy were in the wrong anyway...now look a fractured fanbase, here and social media it is crap.

I've seen a lot of stuff recently, people saying "well it was the right time to go, he had reached the end of the line, tha fans wanted him gone" blah blah blah. 

Total bs that people are putting that rubbish out there months after the event. Trying to rewrite history. The majority of fans wanted him to be given a new deal at the time of his departure. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 4

6 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I've seen a lot of stuff recently, people saying "well it was the right time to go, he had reached the end of the line, tha fans wanted him gone" blah blah blah. 

Total bs that people are putting that rubbish out there months after the event. Trying to rewrite history. The majority of fans wanted him to be given a new deal at the time of his departure. 

Quite so. This sums it up for me..

I've posted it before and will doubtless post it again but from a Times match report in November from QPR away.

Screenshot_20240227-201507_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4cd5648287b0bb9547fc9fb4a6bea2bd.jpgScreenshot_20240227-201521_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b34e1a63af08b09114a5277b6f99e945.jpg

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Plenty been posted many times:

“We all wanted Nigel to achieve our ambition to be promoted but, with our recent results, feel that now is the time to make a change to give the club the best possible chance of success.” - JL

‘We want to get promoted this year' - Bristol City board on decision to sack Nigel Pearson - from Gavin Marshall

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/video/interviews/jon-lansdown-talks-about-coaching-change/ 

Takes JL 30 seconds to mention premier league and best squad we’ve had here in my time - to name a few quick quotes.

Well these first eleven words are bollocks for a start.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, RedZepperin said:

Again  spouting shit.

Fans I know dont feel any entitlement to promotion.

When the hierarchy tell lies they, and their front man will be judged accordingly and quite right too.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

54 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The preference of those who were a lot closer to him was to try somebody else. If LM had performed as well in the league as in the cup, we would not be having this discussion and City-related social media would be a much less unpleasant place. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Again  spouting shit.

Fans I know dont feel any entitlement to promotion.

When the hierarchy tell lies they, and their front man will be judged accordingly and quite right too.

Agree- I don’t expect promotion. Just a team and club that I can connect with. Had that under Nige and his staff. Def don’t now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 3

4 hours ago, TDarwall said:

Agreed but sadly I feel the majority of the good work done by Nige will all fall apart with the clowns we have in power.

My dream would be new owners & for them to reinstate Nige as DOF :pray:

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

25 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Disagree - I sense no entitlement of promotion. Has anyone said that, other than the club? 

You can talk about what did they actually say….well they actually said a lot and frankly one is always entitled to read between the lines - if in a position of comms that BT and JL are in they leave the option for people to read between the lines, then frankly they deserve what they get.

They said the aim is promotion.

They said the squad is underachieving.

They said the squad is a good as it’s been in JL’s time here.

They said NP is gone because we had a better chance with someone else of promotion.

So I believe fans are absolutely right to hold those statements to account - and it is my personal opinion and belief of the vast majority of other city fans 2 things:

1) NP is gone, fine - we would have accepted a ‘mutual’ parting of ways statement or similar when he left - something respectful from the club - but they threw him and Rennie under the bus and rubbished parts the huge work they did (RG included) in getting us out of the mess SL go us in to.

2) They could have said any number of things without mentioning promotion - no one expects promotion, but we do expect their new man to back up their claims (otherwise what was the point?!) and have us trending upwards, not into relegation form. Top 10 would have been great, Top 8 fantastic and top 6 we’d all be delighted, just challenging and losing in the play offs frankly.

If you want to talk about entitlement, talk to Brian “see you in the premier league” Tinnion and Jon “ambition to be promoted” Lansdown - and ask them why they’re entitled to make those statements without being held to account?

Yes. But apparently according to some, we shouldn't hold them account because we all knew they were talking tripe. 

Can't quite get my head around why we should let them off but there we go. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Yes. But apparently according to some, we shouldn't hold them account because we all knew they were talking tripe. 

Can't quite get my head around why we should let them off but there we go. 

There are some people on here who can see absolutely no wrong in the Lansdowns.  

I swear if Uncle Steve turned up at their door while they were having dinner, then came in and took a dump on their plate, they’d thank him for it and come on here and tell us all what a great bloke he is! 

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

Disagree - I sense no entitlement of promotion. Has anyone said that, other than the club? 

You can talk about what did they actually say….well they actually said a lot and frankly one is always entitled to read between the lines - if in a position of comms that BT and JL are in they leave the option for people to read between the lines, then frankly they deserve what they get.

They said NP is gone because we had a better chance with someone else of promotion.

So I believe fans are absolutely right to hold those statements to account - and it is my personal opinion and belief of the vast majority of other city fans 2 things:

1) NP is gone, fine - we would have accepted a ‘mutual’ parting of ways statement or similar when he left - something respectful from the club - but they threw him and Rennie under the bus and rubbished parts the huge work they did (RG included) in getting us out of the mess SL go us in to.

2) They could have said any number of things without mentioning promotion - no one expects promotion, but we do expect their new man to back up their claims (otherwise what was the point?!) and have us trending upwards, not into relegation form. Top 10 would have been great, Top 8 fantastic and top 6 we’d all be delighted, just challenging and losing in the play offs frankly.

If you want to talk about entitlement, talk to Brian “see you in the premier league” Tinnion and Jon “ambition to be promoted” Lansdown - and ask them why they’re entitled to make those statements without being held to account?

Very good 👍👌

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

Nailed it there👍 I think what you’ve said most city fans would agree with 

• Thanks 1