IGNORED

Manning's under development, he needs more time

8 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

No I don’t have you anywhere near an anti Pearson screamer or massive critic

And you completely misread or have comprehended what I’ve said to you

You were noticeably extremely supportive of LJ and defended him throughout even when it was clear what was festering

(Personally I’m  not into blind faith or let’s just ‘hope’)

You are pretty quick to make snipes at or get restless about critics of LM , or considered and explained criticism of him , and appear pretty keen to defend him

I may of course , have simply missed any sort of similar supportive  posts of Pearson when he was here 

As for the screamers (Maybe whiners would have been better) who wanted him out - there were , and are many (Including some who now want Manning out amusingly) If you haven’t noticed them , then you aren’t looking too hard or choosing not to , and I do and will challenge them 

Well I’m glad I’m not a screamer!! Thanks!

And as I’ve said before, I make no apology for supporting LJ, as I support every other City manager as long as they’re in the job.

Interesting that you mention blind faith and let’s just hope, because I’d say that it’s not being into them that’s the reason why I take the view I do!

There’s a theory of life I’ve long tried to follow that talks about the value of distinguishing between those things you can control, those things you can influence, and those things over which you have neither control nor influence. And which says that there’s a lot of wasted energy and emotion involved in worrying about the latter. The value is in focusing on the first two.

Whether any manager stays in a job or gets the sack is something over which I have no control or influence. And I suspect that’s the same for pretty much everyone in here. So it just feels like a waste of energy and effort to get too worked up about it.

I’d rather put my energy into positive things that support the club. 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

11 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

i dont think you have fully read my post. players wouldnt be listening to him as they would be listening to manning with colin sat in his office. colin is there as a full blown manager, i didnt suggest that

Apologies, I did jump the gun a bit there. I don’t disagree with you - we need the right level of experience in the right roles.

• Flames 1

Its obvious we dont win anymore, Manning from leauge one and dont know championship. The natural thing is to sack him before its to late. Problem is who is gonna replace him. Really hope we can avoid relegation. He has no confidence, the team feels it, all seems to be a mess.

• Admin
11 hours ago, GBF said:

On the positive side  7 of our remaining games are against teams in the bottom 10 in form.!,

Just a shame we can’t beat teams in the bottom 10.
0 wins from 10 against teams starting the game in that bottom 10.

"Manning's under development, he needs more time".

No.  Giving a rookie manager time to learn his trade in the Championship is, imo, totally unreasonable.  The championship is a mix of chaos and insane physical demands, given the number of games per season - the last thing any manager has is time.

Not only that, Liam does not appear to have improved over the time he already has had.

Finally, why should we, the paying customers (the Club's view of supporters imo), have to put-up with a sub-standard head coach?

Edited by Elmore James
  • Like 4
  • Flames 4

7 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

Its obvious we dont win anymore, Manning from leauge one and dont know championship. The natural thing is to sack him before its to late. Problem is who is gonna replace him. Really hope we can avoid relegation. He has no confidence, the team feels it, all seems to be a mess.

Your very right in that Manning is lacking confidence, it's clear to see imo & the only thing exuding is his lack of it.

It's not something that the players won't have noticed & that ain't good, not good at all....

• Like 1

Manning isn't improving us, in fact our best football is in the areas that Manning is trying to cut out from the previous Manager. 

The longer we have the more I think we'll see this and the more we'll only confine to pick up points when the opposition attack us and the player instincts over ride Mannings tactics. 

I don't see Manning going anywhere soon, the board would have to admit they ****** up and we have bought a few players to start next season which suggests Manning is in those plans. 

I'm not looking forward to the near future, we'll have some good games based on what the players were taught prior to Manning but the longer he coaches us the more we'll see our best games fizzle out. We can't keep relying on the opposition to play the way we want them to in order to be in with a chance. 

20 minutes ago, Spike said:

Manning isn't improving us, in fact our best football is in the areas that Manning is trying to cut out from the previous Manager. 

The longer we have the more I think we'll see this and the more we'll only confine to pick up points when the opposition attack us and the player instincts over ride Mannings tactics. 

I don't see Manning going anywhere soon, the board would have to admit they ****** up and we have bought a few players to start next season which suggests Manning is in those plans. 

I'm not looking forward to the near future, we'll have some good games based on what the players were taught prior to Manning but the longer he coaches us the more we'll see our best games fizzle out. We can't keep relying on the opposition to play the way we want them to in order to be in with a chance. 

As the Ipswich manager pointed out, we now have structure in defence and block many channels. He said we were fit, and dangerous when we countered. 

No mention of possession football and an ability to break teams down, which is what Manning said he wants to do. 

Instead...when we do play with the ball, it's so incredibly easy to defend against. 

Opposition teams are structured and disciplined. They aren't going to be drawn into moves out of that structure. Tbh...when watching, our defenders and DMs are now going through the motions of moving the ball side to side, without even looking to see if they can draw players. 

Then it's the same old crap...knock it wide, and either attempt a cross, or cut inside. It's incredibly predictable, and the way Manning talks, makes it sound like Rocket science.

The only time we really trouble sides, is when we block and regain possession, and quickly attack on the counter...when the opposition aren't in defensive shape. 

Manning has also admitted in interviews that his way of playing is considered the hardest in football to do well, high risk for reward, is known that you have to have the right players to play that way to succeed and it's easy to play against if disciplined and structured. Also leaves gaps for the opponents to exploit wide in the channels. 

His philosophy is too ingrained and comes from his background. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, spudski said:

As the Ipswich manager pointed out, we now have structure in defence and block many channels. He said we were fit, and dangerous when we countered. 

No mention of possession football and an ability to break teams down, which is what Manning said he wants to do. 

Instead...when we do play with the ball, it's so incredibly easy to defend against. 

Opposition teams are structured and disciplined. They aren't going to be drawn into moves out of that structure. Tbh...when watching, our defenders and DMs are now going through the motions of moving the ball side to side, without even looking to see if they can draw players. 

Then it's the same old crap...knock it wide, and either attempt a cross, or cut inside. It's incredibly predictable, and the way Manning talks, makes it sound like Rocket science.

The only time we really trouble sides, is when we block and regain possession, and quickly attack on the counter...when the opposition aren't in defensive shape. 

Manning has also admitted in interviews that his way of playing is considered the hardest in football to do well, high risk for reward, is known that you have to have the right players to play that way to succeed and it's easy to play against if disciplined and structured. Also leaves gaps for the opponents to exploit wide in the channels. 

Agree, Spud.

Flawed philosophy for Bristol City.  Wrong choice of head-coach.

We are trending downwards, after a reasonable start.

image.png.9fee646580b2e70b61cbe6295353099e.png

Far right column, is 6 game rolling xG goal difference average.  Whether you like or hate xG, goal difference and xG Goal difference are useful barometers in isolation, but better when combined with other things.

The worrying thing for me is that the view that we’ve slightly worsened in attack but slightly improved defence, and it’s balancing itself out…is changing.  We are now trending towards a slightly worsening defence too.  Couple that with a worsening attack, does not make good reading.

But forgetting this, we need a result ultimately.  I’ll worry about trends when (hopefully) we are safe(r).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree, Spud.

Flawed philosophy for Bristol City.  Wrong choice of head-coach.

We are trending downwards, after a reasonable start.

image.png.9fee646580b2e70b61cbe6295353099e.png

Far right column, is 6 game rolling xG goal difference average.  Whether you like or hate xG, goal difference and xG Goal difference are useful barometers in isolation, but better when combined with other things.

The worrying thing for me is that the view that we’ve slightly worsened in attack but slightly improved defence, and it’s balancing itself out…is changing.  We are now trending towards a slightly worsening defence too.  Couple that with a worsening attack, does not make good reading.

But forgetting this, we need a result ultimately.  I’ll worry about trends when (hopefully) we are safe(r).

Thanks for sharing Dave. 👍

All the stats are showing a downward trend where it matters sadly. We can also see that with our eyes. 

I fear a relegation battle if this continues, as others below us are picking up points apart from Rotherham. Sunderland and Stoke will improve imo. 

Next season doesn't look great. 

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

Thanks for sharing Dave. 👍

All the stats are showing a downward trend where it matters sadly. We can also see that with our eyes. 

I fear a relegation battle if this continues, as others below us are picking up points apart from Rotherham. Sunderland and Stoke will improve imo. 

Next season doesn't look great. 

Yes, we can.  I see a group of capable players trying to play a way that doesn’t work effectively.  There are some good bits, but some bad bits too.  I guess more importantly I see a way of playing that plays into the hands of our opponents too…and I think it’s more about that than our own players.  It’s like our opponents know what we are gonna try to do.  That’s a huge generalisation of course.

It’s only Russell Martin that he’s schooled really…and that didn’t surprise me.  Let’s hope Luke Williams as Martin’s disciple can be schooled too.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, we can.  I see a group of capable players trying to play a way that doesn’t work effectively.  There are some good bits, but some bad bits too.  I guess more importantly I see a way of playing that plays into the hands of our opponents too…and I think it’s more about that than our own players.  It’s like our opponents know what we are gonna try to do.  That’s a huge generalisation of course.

It’s only Russell Martin that he’s schooled really…and that didn’t surprise me.  Let’s hope Luke Williams as Martin’s disciple can be schooled too.

Totally agree Dave...you've only got to look at the body language of the more experienced players to see frustration. 

Mehmetti meanwhile thinks he's won the lottery. 

21 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Fair do’s for thinking like that.

Some of those who wanted Pearson out, and now want Manning out because we’ve lost a few, are suddenly coming out as if they were always pro-Nige.  It’s hilarious.  I tend to scroll on by their comments.

Doesn't matter much, they are more fickle then others that's all,

We all want city to do well but manning is a sympton not the cause of our woes

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pip King said:

How ******* funny would it be if we got battered by Swansea, Liam gets the heave-ho and the Three Wise Men replace him with Joey Barton 

I doubt Barton would ever manage a club again now,

But if that were to happen, then I will get a season ticket at clevedon Town, Bath, or yeovil

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I doubt Barton would ever manage a club again now,

But if that were to happen, then I will get a season ticket at clevedon Town, Bath, or yeovil

Yeah you're right, and not even Jon is stupid enough to consider it. I was just amusing myself trying to think of how they could possibly **** up this situation any more 

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

Doesn't matter much, they are more fickle then others that's all,

We all want city to do well but manning is a sympton not the cause of our woes

I think he’s a cause too!  Maybe not root cause, but still a cause.

• Flames 1

10 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Sir Geoff - if you & I picked up the reins we couldn't do any worse 😆

i want to have a go with fevs and mr pops first,i have a mate who'd do the dof bit and red oxo can be our agent and overseas scout, only if tinnion is put back in his box of course. son of fred, would you like to be on the board with sir geoff? foc of course,no financial input, just wisdom.  lansdowns can pay for it all,they can afford it but thats about all they can do

• Thanks 1

On 07/03/2024 at 11:25, Meh said:

When Nigel was here and things were bad he was honest with fans and detract blame from his players, he tried tinkering with the system slightly, personnel slightly and maybe switched the speed of play and where the line was to press.

Liam is sticking to the same tactics, same formation generally, putting blame on the players already under pressure and changing the team regularly and it does not seem to be representative of who fans are seeing having a bad patch.

It reminds me so much of LJ and what became known as his tombola team selection. Manning does not seem to know his strongest team and is not changing our style to combat the system of the opposition.

Experience over inexperience I guess.

I think the reason he doesn’t change the way he wants them to play, could be because he actually really believes in it, he’s been trained that way, there’s research to back up its success, so when players don’t play that way on the pitch, his obvious conclusion is it has to be the players, because the system is proven.  

It’s not dissimilar to other walks of life. Employees do something one way for years, manager says right, we’re all going to do a,b and c this way now and you still find people can’t or won’t change their practice, no matter what.

It’s not simply his blaming the players, but it’s rare to hear him single anyone out for praise either.  

• Like 4

16 hours ago, spudski said:

Exactly, I think everyone is seeing this except the board, or they are and now they know they've messed up and their perfect vision is not attainable.

• Thanks 1