IGNORED

Tinnion is being treated far too harshly

reddogkev

1 minute ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Blimey!

The amount of people on the tube with their bags wide open or phones on display! 

Watches are a big thing now

I think for me it’s more that she alleges she was pickpocketed and the thief then…handed her stuff back???

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Graham76 said:

Tinnion dug his own grave the moment he knifed Pearson in the back. 

That is the way it seems! 

its going to be interesting to see how this plays out. 

For you boys that play with these things, his Wikipedia states he is Academy Director!

Edited by REDOXO

7 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think for me it’s more that she alleges she was pickpocketed and the thief then…handed her stuff back???

Yes. I was chuckling at the 'pushing and shoving' on the Metropolitan Line between Finchley Road and Pinner. Seems a bit Terry and June or Reggie Perrin :rofl2br:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

That is the way it seems! 

its going to be interesting to see how this plays out. 

For you boys that play with these things, his Wikipedia states he is Academy Director!

3 minutes ago, Superjack said:

He's not going anywhere until the Lansdowns do.

He has played their sordid game for years.

I’m not so sure about that but we will see. 

I’m not sure about “sordid” either, but certainly bizarre game!

I do have a certain amount of sympathy for SL. I think he has always done what he thinks is right, but often isn’t and has ran out of energy for Bristol City/Sport. 

1 hour ago, Roe said:

As I said, I'm not sure it can really be proven from the outside. Which is convenient seeing as he's apparently great at it.

There's no doubt that the academy has certainly improved in terms of first team contribution and player sales. How much of that is down to Tinnion is hard for any of us to really know I think.

I guess if you wanted proof, you'd need to speak to the players that have been brought through recently and the staff that have worked under him. I don't personally care to investigate that any further, but somebody probably should given its apparently earned him the role he's got now..

I was talking about this on another thread today - it’s considered to be ‘fact’ Tinnion is THE academy man. He seems to get the majority of plaudits for our youth set up, but the question is…is that fair??

The fact is - he’s wasn’t head of the academy until 2021 - when the last crop of academy boys had made their first team debuts - Scott, Conway and Bell etc.

The plaudits there should be going to Gary Probert, academy manager for 9 years - who left to go to….Ipswich….

Semenyo, Scott, Conway, Bell, Vyner, Max, Pring, Kelly, Bryan, Bobby… all pre- Tinnion as manager of the academy.

We also know the pathway has been a success in recent years, but that was ironically largely due to FFP blunder transfer restrictions and NP having to blood so many.

Before 2021 he was part of the scouting team and he was the loan manager (remember NP’s comment on that) - but credit to him for his part in finding some of these players.

We are yet to see what ‘his’ crop of 2021 onwards boys can do at first level, the supply has seemingly slowed. Perhaps in part because they are chasing FA youth cup glory? Now we have more room with the cash, you could argue the Jan signings he made have played a part in blocking the pathway.

Interestingly in my research for all this - you get the sense for some years the club have been grooming Tinnion for this role. 

In all the articles about the success of the academy or signings of youngsters like Scott etc - there is Tinnion “loan manager” in the picture with the player and sometimes Probert.

And it’s often Tinnion who is the one doing to media on the academy, despite him being “loan manager” or “pathway manager” - not Probert as head of the academy in the limelight, but Tinnion put forward.

Hence why I think the perception is what it is and why I think he may be getting more credit than he’s due…

Sorry if people think I’m being harsh on Tinnion - if anyone with a better knowledge of the academy can refute my analysis - I’m happy to stand corrected.

• Like 13
  • Flames 5

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

I do have a certain amount of sympathy for SL. I think he has always done what he thinks is right, but often isn’t and has ran out of energy for Bristol City/Sport. 

Well...

... I give you "It's my club".

Defining 'light bulb' moment....

• Like 5

5 hours ago, reddogkev said:

I don't care if I get shot down, that's fine, but I am sick of the negativity towards Tinnion.

I love the guy.  Pure and simple, he's a city legend and was in the team for my first four years as a fan and had a left peg I absolutely worshipped.

Anyway, I'm not here to talk about his football legacy, I think it's cruel and unfair the way he's treated on here, quite often as a figure of fun and with his intelligence and communication skills being mocked and belittled, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

He's not our enemy, he's our ambassador, he's a man who's gave most of his working career to our club, even though being a Geordie and having no previous affinity to the club.

We know he's not the best fit for the job he currently has, but he had the ambition to go for it, the same as his stint as a manager, he wasn't up to speed, but he had the ambition and drive to go for it.  I respect and love that.

It's not his fault if he's not right for the job, it's up the people above him if they feel he should be replaced.

Personally, I want him in charge of the academy, that's his best fit and hopefully he will be back there sometime in the future - back within his comfort zone.

But in the meantime, he will definitely be giving everything to the club and deserves much more respect and our support.

You don't have to love Pearson and hate Brian, you can appreciate them both!

And even though I don't agree with Manning being our gaffer, I can see the reasons why he was recruited.

I dont agree he's brought it on himself,

But I won't shoot you down for your opinion and what is a very good post

• Like 1

I don't care if I get shot down, that's fine, but I am sick of the negativity towards Tinnion.

I love the guy.  Pure and simple, he's a city legend and was in the team for my first four years as a fan and had a left peg I absolutely worshipped.

Anyway, I'm not here to talk about his football legacy, I think it's cruel and unfair the way he's treated on here, quite often as a figure of fun and with his intelligence and communication skills being mocked and belittled, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

He's not our enemy, he's our ambassador, he's a man who's gave most of his working career to our club, even though being a Geordie and having no previous affinity to the club.

We know he's not the best fit for the job he currently has, but he had the ambition to go for it, the same as his stint as a manager, he wasn't up to speed, but he had the ambition and drive to go for it.  I respect and love that.

It's not his fault if he's not right for the job, it's up the people above him if they feel he should be replaced.

Personally, I want him in charge of the academy, that's his best fit and hopefully he will be back there sometime in the future - back within his comfort zone.

But in the meantime, he will definitely be giving everything to the club and deserves much more respect and our support.

And even though I don't agree with Manning being our gaffer, I can see the reasons why he was recruited.

I’m fairly sure I’m not adding anything new, having been at work all day and just logged on to see this.

WOW. 
Sod ambition. Let’s have Tinnion as Tecknical Director, Mickey Bell as manager, Scott Murray as his assistant and Tommy Doherty as fitness coach.

We’re supposedly an ambitious Championship club and not a cosy retirement home for ex-players who were decent against Port Vale and Wycombe a few years back.

Tinnion isn’t up to it. Never has been. Stick him in the academy where he’s shown some success, but we need proven and capable people in key positions.

In all my time supporting City, I can only think of two managers who’ve had top flight experience in either their playing or managerial career: Nigel Pearson and Danny Wilson. We need people who’ve been there and done it, at least whilst we’re still learning how to do it.

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

I think it's absolutely fair to question, critique, and be vigorous when talking about his professional role. That extends into how he communicates, his literacy, etc. In my opinion due to the position he's in.

It sometimes descends into personal attacks or basically bullying though, and the same with Jon Lansdown which is just sad and unnecessary imo.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I was talking about this on another thread today - it’s considered to be ‘fact’ Tinnion is THE academy man. He seems to get the majority of plaudits for our youth set up, but the question is…is that fair??

The fact is - he’s wasn’t head of the academy until 2021 - when the last crop of academy boys had made their first team debuts - Scott, Conway and Bell etc.

The plaudits there should be going to Gary Probert, academy manager for 9 years - who left to go to….Ipswich….

Semenyo, Scott, Conway, Bell, Vyner, Max, Pring, Kelly, Bryan, Bobby… all pre- Tinnion as manager of the academy.

We also know the pathway has been a success in recent years, but that was ironically largely due to FFP blunder transfer restrictions and NP having to blood so many.

Before 2021 he was part of the scouting team and he was the loan manager (remember NP’s comment on that) - but credit to him for his part in finding some of these players.

We are yet to see what ‘his’ crop of 2021 onwards boys can do at first level, the supply has seemingly slowed. Perhaps in part because they are chasing FA youth cup glory? Now we have more room with the cash, you could argue the Jan signings he made have played a part in blocking the pathway.

Interestingly in my research for all this - you get the sense for some years the club have been grooming Tinnion for this role. 

In all the articles about the success of the academy or signings of youngsters like Scott etc - there is Tinnion “loan manager” in the picture with the player and sometimes Probert.

And it’s often Tinnion who is the one doing to media on the academy, despite him being “loan manager” or “pathway manager” - not Probert as head of the academy in the limelight, but Tinnion put forward.

Hence why I think the perception is what it is and why I think he may be getting more credit than he’s due…

Sorry if people think I’m being harsh on Tinnion - if anyone with a better knowledge of the academy can refute my analysis - I’m happy to stand corrected.

Ran out of likes.

So glad you picked this up.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

I’m fairly sure I’m not adding anything new, having been at work all day and just logged on to see this.

WOW. 
Sod ambition. Let’s have Tinnion as Tecknical Director, Mickey Bell as manager, Scott Murray as his assistant and Tommy Doherty as fitness coach.

We’re supposedly an ambitious Championship club and not a cosy retirement home for ex-players who were decent against Port Vale and Wycombe a few years back.

Tinnion isn’t up to it. Never has been. Stick him in the academy where he’s shown some success, but we need proven and capable people in key positions.

In all my time supporting City, I can only think of two managers who’ve had top flight experience in either their playing or managerial career: Nigel Pearson and Danny Wilson. We need people who’ve been there and done it, at least whilst we’re still learning how to do it.

Exactly what we were crying out for three years ago. 

Oh... 

• Like 1

Love him or loathe him. Hes not fit for purpose . But then again neither are the lansdowns 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I partly agree and think his role is probably overstated a bit, but it's also disingenuous when people try and remove him from everything good just because of current sentiment (not saying you're trying to do that btw).

In reality he was part of a team up there who were successful. No one of them was fully responsible, and I'm sure Probert would say the same thing, as would Pearson. They probably deserve an equal share along with many more names we don't know - but that's not at the exclusion of Tinnion imo. It appears he was an important figure up there and was for some time. I get the feeling if he was academy director we'd be saying he was just sat in an office pushing paper and the folk on the ground deserve the real credit.

So I think you're right - his contribution is probably overstated, but let's also not diminish it completely. That serves no purpose.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I think it's absolutely fair to question, critique, and be vigorous when talking about his professional role. That extends into how he communicates, his literacy, etc. In my opinion due to the position he's in.

It sometimes descends into personal attacks or basically bullying though, and the same with Jon Lansdown which is just sad and unnecessary imo.

Not at all disagreeing with your well put post.

But given the events of this season in particular, is this not a bit of Karma coming home to roost?

(of course, it isn't, because it's just words on a forum)

2 minutes ago, Superjack said:

But given the events of this season in particular, is this not a bit of Karma coming home to roost?

Yeah I get that, especially when we all put so much time, money, and emotional energy into the club. Emotions run high and like with Ashton I'll have a smile on my face if Ipswich blow it this year.

I think karma is whatever happens in his professional life though... he's still just a guy at the end of the day and doesn't deserve personal abuse.

• Like 1

Just now, IAmNick said:

Yeah I get that, especially when we all put so much time, money, and emotional energy into the club. Emotions run high and like with Ashton I'll have a smile on my face if Ipswich blow it this year.

I think karma is whatever happens in his professional life though... he's still just a guy at the end of the day and doesn't deserve personal abuse.

Agreed. 

Not personal abuse. 

Professional yes. 

Though, it is rather hard not to make it personal when it is his personality traits that are my biggest problem with him. 

I guess I should try and do better. 

And not be down at his level.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Superjack said:

The forum is not a true representation of wider fan base.

Just now, AppyDAZE said:

Even though I agree with the majority, ie he isn’t really fit for the job, I am starting to become a bit uncomfortable with all this. Maybe it is time to slack off.

It’s embarrassing.

• Facepalm 3