IGNORED

Tinnion is being treated far too harshly

reddogkev

2 hours ago, Roe said:

Nah.

I'm not at all convinced by this whole "great with the academy" stuff either. His communication is terrible and he seems pretty delusional.

Those are pretty big areas that I'd want to address in someone running a high level academy.

Seems pretty easy to claim he's great at something that can't be proven

If you're not convinced, what would you need to see to think that since his involvement, the Academy set up has improved beyond all recognition? Just, as you say, that his communication improves and he stops being 'delusional'? And that would be more conclusive than, for example, significant increase in standard, first team contribution, and sale value of players produced by the Academy?

I think this kind of post is exactly what the OP is talking about when they say that Tins isn't being critiqued on the job that he is doing but instead, at least in part, on a set of OTIB talking points that have now come to be accepted truth on here (snake, grass, idiot, out of his depth, Lansdown yes man, delusional, self-aggrandising, can't string sentence together, blah). 

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

Whether he's a legend depends on your age. If you saw John Atyeo play, it's laughable to call him.a legend. If you saw the likes of Ritchie, Gow etc it's silly. If you go back to the likes of Walsh/ Taylor/Newman it's possibly beginning to make sense.

The word legend is hugely overused.

I just missed Atyeo but my best pick for a legend is John Galley but there have been many players who will forever have a place in my pantheon - and they all played for Bristol City! We all take different things from our passion for the club. BTs passing ability and his goal against Liverpool rank him very highly in my opinion. His service and dedication to the cause has further burnished his star. 

3 hours ago, reddogkev said:

I don't care if I get shot down, that's fine, but I am sick of the negativity towards Tinnion.

I love the guy.  Pure and simple, he's a city legend and was in the team for my first four years as a fan and had a left peg I absolutely worshipped.

Anyway, I'm not here to talk about his football legacy, I think it's cruel and unfair the way he's treated on here, quite often as a figure of fun and with his intelligence and communication skills being mocked and belittled, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

He's not our enemy, he's our ambassador, he's a man who's gave most of his working career to our club, even though being a Geordie and having no previous affinity to the club.

We know he's not the best fit for the job he currently has, but he had the ambition to go for it, the same as his stint as a manager, he wasn't up to speed, but he had the ambition and drive to go for it.  I respect and love that.

It's not his fault if he's not right for the job, it's up the people above him if they feel he should be replaced.

Personally, I want him in charge of the academy, that's his best fit and hopefully he will be back there sometime in the future - back within his comfort zone.

But in the meantime, he will definitely be giving everything to the club and deserves much more respect and our support.

You don't have to love Pearson and hate Brian, you can appreciate them both!

And even though I don't agree with Manning being our gaffer, I can see the reasons why he was recruited.

He is the lapdog of the Lansdowns. Slavishly supporting them in their destruction of our football team. Happy to help get Pearson out the door when he knew full well what a tough job he had done and the constraints he was under. Helping to bring in a League 1 manager who is not up to the job and who appears not to be interested in the Academy which Tinnion has done a great job on and had been one of the few things we could take pride in in the last few years. Is he now going to allow Manning to close the pathway down. I loved the bloke as a player and could accept he gave his best as a Manager, although clearly falling short. But this latest version, over promoted and selling out Pearson and propagating the Lansdowns BS I dislike and hope he leaves with the Lansdowns 

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

4 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

If you're not convinced, what would you need to see to think that since his involvement, the Academy set up has improved beyond all recognition? Just, as you say, that his communication improves and he stops being 'delusional'? And that would be more conclusive than, for example, significant increase in standard, first team contribution, and sale value of players produced by the Academy?

I think this kind of post is exactly what the OP is talking about when they say that Tins isn't being critiqued on the job that he is doing but instead, at least in part, on a set of OTIB talking points that have now come to be accepted truth on here (snake, grass, idiot, out of his depth, Lansdown yes man, delusional, self-aggrandising, can't string sentence together, blah). 

I'm not even critiquing him on the job he is doing. 

He's out of his depth. So is Manning. But guess what? That's what you get when egotistical ****wit owners get rid of a whole working set up because it threatens their control. 

I'm critiquing Tinnion for his treachery. Something, by all accounts, he has years of form for.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I just missed Atyeo but my best pick for a legend is John Galley but there have been many players who will forever have a place in my pantheon - and they all played for Bristol City! We all take different things from our passion for the club. BTs passing ability and his goal against Liverpool rank him very highly in my opinion. His service and dedication to Brian Tinnion has further tarnished his star. 

Fixed.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Superjack said:

I'm not even critiquing him on the job he is doing. 

He's out of his depth. So is Manning. But guess what? That's what you get when egotistical ****wit owners get rid of a whole working set up because it threatens their control. 

I'm critiquing Tinnion for his treachery. Something, by all accounts, he has years of form for.

Except, not by all accounts at all.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

9 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

As I said, I'm not sure it can really be proven from the outside. Which is convenient seeing as he's apparently great at it.

There's no doubt that the academy has certainly improved in terms of first team contribution and player sales. How much of that is down to Tinnion is hard for any of us to really know I think.

I guess if you wanted proof, you'd need to speak to the players that have been brought through recently and the staff that have worked under him. I don't personally care to investigate that any further, but somebody probably should given its apparently earned him the role he's got now..

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

There is a point where someone can say “I don’t want to do the job you’re offering”.  We know from Tins himself he feels he’s deserving of the role…so imho he deserves to be critiqued based on the role.

Critiquing him in the role is fine, calling him sid, questioning his intelligence, the personal stuff is pathetic , hes earned the right over the years to at least be respected. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

In what decade are you allowed to have (in your opinion) a club legend, only time I came across Atyeo was the breakfast named after him in the red and white cafe!

I've named my car and my Oyster card after Marvin Elliott? I'm not sure I class him as a legend though?

3 hours ago, Calculus said:

Sorry, could someone explain to me why he was a legend as a player. Long serving certainly, but all his best years were in tier 3. Had the odd decent game in tier 2 but nothing to write home about IMO.

Then there's his performance in the playoff final vs Brighton - he was shocking, but instead of holding his hand up put all the blame on Danny Wilson. 

He scored against Liverpool once and ever since he has been known as a legend.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I just missed Atyeo but my best pick for a legend is John Galley but there have been many players who will forever have a place in my pantheon - and they all played for Bristol City! We all take different things from our passion for the club. BTs passing ability and his goal against Liverpool rank him very highly in my opinion. His service and dedication to the cause has further burnished his star. 

Was brought up on Galley, Garland, Gow, Gibson etc Tinnion doesnt come close imo and there are many above him on the legends list. One goal doesnt make a legend imo, sorry.

Should stick to what he knows, fronting up for interviews aint it.

"His service to the cause" has been well paid and you can bet your house on him taking a better paid job should it come along, without a second thought.

We do indeed take different things from our passion for the club, he takes money, fans give money.

• Flames 2
  • Facepalm 2

When he’s all over our marketing material for season tickets despite being an operations role sorry but everything coming his way is fair game and only enhances people’s view he is egotistical and holds way too much influence .

He’s a legend in his own mind…30 year tins….

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, grifty said:

No-one should be immune from criticism, but everyone should be immune from personal insults and jibes. Unfortunately there’s a few on here who can only do the latter.

This is true. 

And I can hold my hands up and say that I may cross that line at times, especially in the current climate.

But this is borne out of anger. 

And the cause of such anger, are the people concerned.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1