IGNORED

Tinnion is being treated far too harshly

reddogkev

54 minutes ago, JAWS said:

Was that before or after his "I feel sorry for the fans if they can't see what we're trying to do" in response to criticism over the appointment of holden? 

Anyway for me it was sh*tting on Cotts after he had built up as good a team spirit and momentum I have witnessed as a city fan.

Before, was during a difficult LJ period.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Fat Controller said:

If people want to criticise his performance as Technical Director, I have no problem with that at all. 

Predictably for OTIB some of the things said about him recently have been insulting and childish. 

That’s fair, but not helped by his lack of professionalism when representing the club in interviews and childish antics on X etc. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, One Team said:

Correct Fevs. It was during an interview with GT towards the end of LJ’s record losing streak. 

Where he also said LJ would still be head coach if we got relegated.

Edited by Sleepy1968
sp
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, reddogkev said:

I don't care if I get shot down, that's fine, but I am sick of the negativity towards Tinnion.

I love the guy.  Pure and simple, he's a city legend and was in the team for my first four years as a fan and had a left peg I absolutely worshipped.

Anyway, I'm not here to talk about his football legacy, I think it's cruel and unfair the way he's treated on here, quite often as a figure of fun and with his intelligence and communication skills being mocked and belittled, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

He's not our enemy, he's our ambassador, he's a man who's gave most of his working career to our club, even though being a Geordie and having no previous affinity to the club.

We know he's not the best fit for the job he currently has, but he had the ambition to go for it, the same as his stint as a manager, he wasn't up to speed, but he had the ambition and drive to go for it.  I respect and love that.

It's not his fault if he's not right for the job, it's up the people above him if they feel he should be replaced.

Personally, I want him in charge of the academy, that's his best fit and hopefully he will be back there sometime in the future - back within his comfort zone.

But in the meantime, he will definitely be giving everything to the club and deserves much more respect and our support.

You don't have to love Pearson and hate Brian, you can appreciate them both!

And even though I don't agree with Manning being our gaffer, I can see the reasons why he was recruited.

Very well said…

52 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

"Assumed". "No evidence".

Amongst the reasons we were given for sacking Pearson were:

The manager is never here these days - The players are being given too much time off - We want more on the grass coaching of front foot progressive football.

And there's only one way you can come to those conclusions - you'd have to spend a lot of your time at the HPC.

SL, JL, GM, BT are the people responsible for Pearson's sacking.

So unless SL can see from Guernsey what goes on at the HPC every day, unless JL can do so from Bermuda or Feverpitch HQ, who the hell do you think came up with the bullsh1t about Pearson not turning up enough, the players having too much time away from the HPC, not enough "progressive" coaching going on out on the grass? GM being irrelevant.

Who?

Even Inspector Clouseau could identify the culprit in that line up.

What's more, only one of those 4 had motive and opportunity.

Not only that but form for it too - Danny Wilson told us so.

So you'd have to be a one-eyed dunce not to know who was responsible for pouring poison in Lansdown's ear. Again.

It was Tinnion. In the HPC. With a knife.

Bravo. Absolutely brilliant post. Don’t know whether to laugh or cry after reading it though!!!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

Bravo. Absolutely brilliant post. Don’t know whether to laugh or cry after reading it though!!!

Cry because the idiot is still at our club and laugh because the Lansdowns believe the crap. Honestly the lot of them didn't deserve Pearson bringing this club back up again.

• Like 2
  • Flames 3

Not forgetting Tins played a key role in the signing of both Antione and Alex Scott, which consequently netted the club £30 million plus. Transfer income might not matter to the OTIB Taliban, but it puts him in significant credit with SL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

19 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

Ta. Not that it gives anyone any pleasure to spell it out. Top player for us, very flawed behaviour ever since and a prime example of why we're such woeful under achievers - off the pitch, we simply never get it right for long enough.

Anyway, I hear Nige is back in town soon - just in time for karaoke night down the Blue Flame. I believe he'll be belting out a version of this after a couple of pints of Cheddar Valley:

All the time they want to take your place
The back stabbers (back stabbers)
(They smilin' in your face)
All the time, they want to take your place
All you fellas who have someone and you really care, yeah, yeah
Then it's all of you fellas who better beware, yeah, yeah
Somebody's out to get your lady
A few of your buddies, they sure look shady
The blades are long, clenched tight in their fists
Aimin' straight at your back
And I don't think they'll miss

Mind you, I bet our Nige could teach some of those hepcats on the dance floor a thing or two:

Travolta eat yer heart out.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Malago said:

Not forgetting Tins played a key role in the signing of both Antione and Alex Scott, which consequently netted the club £30 million plus. Transfer income might not matter to the OTIB Taliban, but it puts him in significant credit with SL

Both were signed before he was academy manager, he was loan manager, he wasn't involved in signing players then

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

23 minutes ago, Malago said:

Whilst not disputing his involvement (albeit a smaller role), do you think Tinnion would’ve been aware of Scott if it wasn’t for Lansdowns links? I believe it was the Guernsey FC manager who initially made contact with us himself. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

The manager is never here these days - The players are being given too much time off - We want more on the grass coaching of front foot progressive football.

And there's only one way you can come to those conclusions - you'd have to spend a lot of your time at the HPC.

So unless SL can see from Guernsey what goes on at the HPC every day, unless JL can do so from Bermuda or Feverpitch HQ, who the hell do you think came up with the bullsh1t about Pearson not turning up enough, the players having too much time away from the HPC, not enough "progressive" coaching going on out on the grass? GM being irrelevant.

Who?

So you'd have to be a one-eyed dunce not to know who was responsible for pouring poison in Lansdown's ear. Again.

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

25 minutes ago, Malago said:

Did he?

1 hour ago, One Team said:

Correct Fevs. It was during an interview with GT towards the end of LJ’s record losing streak. 

I'd like to have the time to go back over his tenure to document all of his egotistical acts/statements. I recall them now and again & must start to write them down 😉

52 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Ta. Not that it gives anyone any pleasure to spell it out. Top player for us, very flawed behaviour ever since and a prime example of why we're such woeful under achievers - off the pitch, we simply never get it right for long enough.

Anyway, I hear Nige is back in town soon - just in time for karaoke night down the Blue Flame. I believe he'll be belting out a version of this after a couple of pints of Cheddar Valley:

All the time they want to take your place
(They smilin' in your face)
All the time, they want to take your place
All you fellas who have someone and you really care, yeah, yeah
Then it's all of you fellas who better beware, yeah, yeah
Somebody's out to get your lady
A few of your buddies, they sure look shady
The blades are long, clenched tight in their fists
Aimin' straight at your back
And I don't think they'll miss

Mind you, I bet our Nige could teach some of those hepcats on the dance floor a thing or two:

Travolta eat yer heart out.

Reminds me of many, many nights at The Lacarno (ballroom of romance)......spell? after visiting The Bell and Hatchet? opposite...is that still there, is it even the right name? a lot has changed no doubt, since I was let loose on Bristol Night life, remember The Hawthornes up Clifton way somewhere, those were the days my friend:drunk2:

• Like 1

There are lots of very balanced comments on this subject. However, its a shame that quite a few people cant state an opinion without getting personal. Whatever your thoughts are about BT, LM or JL, they are just people trying to do their best. Just use facts and evidence to form a critique, dont get personal.  

For what its worth, Ive been a fan for 40 years and weve mainly always been sh1t, lost to teams we should beat, and made crazy decisions about managers and coaches. We are probably in better shape now than we have been for most of that period but there is no doubt in my mind that we would have been in even better shape had we not sacked NP, and I wont ever forgive the people involved in that decision - I just dont think we need to be abusive to them either. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Malago said:

When you say the club you mean SL dont you, or where else has the money gone, apart from covering prev SL/JL errors.

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

You realise that the HPC employs more that just Tinnion right? If JL or SL wanted to keep tabs on Pearson not everything has to go through him.

But this is the point. He wasn't sacked for not turning up. (Or any of the bullshit cooked up by JL) He was sacked because he didnt toe the landsdown line and pretty much critisised them in public. I'm not saying tinnion is blameless but anyone that thinks he is anywhere as near a culpable as JL or SL (or even Pearson himself to that matter) needs to wake up.

Who?

13 minutes ago, Crimson Crayola said:

You realise that the HPC employs more that just Tinnion right? If JL or SL wanted to keep tabs on Pearson not everything has to go through him.

But this is the point. He wasn't sacked for not turning up. (Or any of the bullshit cooked up by JL) He was sacked because he didnt toe the landsdown line and pretty much critisised them in public. I'm not saying tinnion is blameless but anyone that thinks he is anywhere as near a culpable as JL or SL (or even Pearson himself to that matter) needs to wake up.

So it was the tea lady at the HPC?

Who would Lansdown a) listen to, and b) believe?

Not the tea lady.

It doesn't matter that the reasons were bullsh1t - they were the reasons given and who had the opportunity, the motive and the form to concoct those reasons?

Tinnion.

Tinnion is Iago, pouring poison in Lansdown's ear.

Jon Lansdown doesn't know what day of the week it is, never mind have the wherewithal to orchestrate such a thing.

So you're the one who needs to wake up methinks.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, Bobtherobin said:

There are lots of very balanced comments on this subject. However, its a shame that quite a few people cant state an opinion without getting personal. Whatever your thoughts are about BT, LM or JL, they are just people trying to do their best. Just use facts and evidence to form a critique, dont get personal.  

For what its worth, Ive been a fan for 40 years and weve mainly always been sh1t, lost to teams we should beat, and made crazy decisions about managers and coaches. We are probably in better shape now than we have been for most of that period but there is no doubt in my mind that we would have been in even better shape had we not sacked NP, and I wont ever forgive the people involved in that decision - I just dont think we need to be abusive to them either. 

Excellent post. I’m finding the childish name calling/abuse/pettiness is making the forum hard work. There’s even negativity about whose photographs are on season ticket renewal information - is that really that important? 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

There is a point where someone can say “I don’t want to do the job you’re offering”.  We know from Tins himself he feels he’s deserving of the role…so imho he deserves to be critiqued based on the role.

That's fair enough but if we make a step improvement next season will you give him credit for his role in appointing Manning? People are judging far too early.

7 hours ago, Bobtherobin said:

Good post, and I don't agree with the op, but people need to respect a well thought out post, and treat it as such

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

That's fair enough but if we make a step improvement next season will you give him credit for his role in appointing Manning? People are judging far too early.

Not really. Any improvement made by Liam from his current very low base position will be down to Liam. Tinnion didn't even know what type of manager he was hiring and spouted nonsense to fans about front foot football. Instead he hired the polar opposite in terms of style who has clearly struggled massively to get to grips with the level, has been very easy to tactically out-perform, has only got the team performing when playing on the counter which is a reason the previous bloke was sacked (front foot eh?!!) and has clearly had no help from above simply judging by metric of the non-improvement we have seen for three months now (we won on Sunday, much needed, but it was utter crap, make no mistake about that).

Given Tinnion's seemingly obvious lack of knowledge on what he was hiring (I can only go by his public utterances on the matter which are clear) my conclusion is that if Liam performs next season (he might) Tinnion has been the beneficiary of a huge slice of luck and been handed a get out of jail free card. That's not how it will be spun by the BS publicity machine, mind.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

7 hours ago, eardun said:

Excellent post. I’m finding the childish name calling/abuse/pettiness is making the forum hard work. There’s even negativity about whose photographs are on season ticket renewal information - is that really that important? 

I don't go in for the childish name calling. But as for the image...well I'd say that is important. They started with a blank piece of paper when it came to marketing the season tickets. Could have had anything. In the past might have been - and has been - a montage of our promising young players - but they chose a montage of former players - some so former that as a man in my 60s I'm looking at images from my childhood - and a trio of leaders...Alan Dicks, legend but who left the club before I started work, Liam Manning, who may have many qualities we're yet to see as a coach but has zero charisma, and...Brian Tinnion???!!!! I could kind of see him in the players montage but in the role that places him on a par with Manning and Dicks - as a manager - he was an abject failure, one of SL's bigger mistakes. I can't understand what the designers were thinking...unless...

...my sense is that the folk running the club honestly think that everyone loves Tins, hence his radio interview. That he represents something of the club's heritage, that he can really speak to the fans. I think that a misjudgement. 'Trust me on Tinnion' is seared in my memory. I don't have anything against Brian Tinnion personally but his reincarnation as a key club figure reminds me of everything bad about the Lansdown years.  

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

So it was the tea lady at the HPC?

Who would Lansdown a) listen to, and b) believe?

Not the tea lady.

It doesn't matter that the reasons were bullsh1t - they were the reasons given and who had the opportunity, the motive and the form to concoct those reasons?

My point is everyone at the HPC had the potential to 'concoct' those reasons. Do you honestly think Tinnion is the only point of contact there? It doesn't take Poirot to figure out that Nige was missing from the day to day. (Infact I'd be amazed if Pearson didn't inform JL himself)

Also what realistic motives does Tinnion have to see Nige go? He is and never will be seen as a viable manager. He was Technical director before Pearson was sacked, no?

He may not be the brightest, he's certainly no public speaker, he has to take responsibility for this naive January transfer window, but I see no evidence to suggest he's a snake, and don't see how anyone who isn't truly ITK can.

8 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Tinnion.

Tinnion is Iago, pouring poison in Lansdown's ear.

Jon Lansdown doesn't know what day of the week it is, never mind have the wherewithal to orchestrate such a thing.

So you're the one who needs to wake up methinks.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, reddogkev said:

I don't care if I get shot down, that's fine, but I am sick of the negativity towards Tinnion.

I love the guy.  Pure and simple, he's a city legend and was in the team for my first four years as a fan and had a left peg I absolutely worshipped.

Anyway, I'm not here to talk about his football legacy, I think it's cruel and unfair the way he's treated on here, quite often as a figure of fun and with his intelligence and communication skills being mocked and belittled, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

He's not our enemy, he's our ambassador, he's a man who's gave most of his working career to our club, even though being a Geordie and having no previous affinity to the club.

We know he's not the best fit for the job he currently has, but he had the ambition to go for it, the same as his stint as a manager, he wasn't up to speed, but he had the ambition and drive to go for it.  I respect and love that.

It's not his fault if he's not right for the job, it's up the people above him if they feel he should be replaced.

Personally, I want him in charge of the academy, that's his best fit and hopefully he will be back there sometime in the future - back within his comfort zone.

But in the meantime, he will definitely be giving everything to the club and deserves much more respect and our support.

You don't have to love Pearson and hate Brian, you can appreciate them both!

And even though I don't agree with Manning being our gaffer, I can see the reasons why he was recruited.

You’re entitled to your opinion, as we all are. However, for me, my views of him as a player are as a legend. He was a childhood hero of mine. But, as manager and now in the boardroom, he’s clearly not fit for purpose. 

I take your point about “it’s not his fault he’s in that position”, just like it wasn’t Holden’s fault. Once again that calls into question just WTAF the Lansdowns know about football when most appointments as nepotistic. 

But here’s my point: just because he was a legend as a footballer doesn’t entitle him to be sporting director, regardless of years of service, and that interview shows exactly why he should be nowhere near that role. 

So if he’s not up to the job, is out of touch with the fans, inarticulate in media interviews, make constant contradictions, how do you think that transcends down the entire football operation? It’s a shambles that should never have been allowed to happen.

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

I will . But absolute minimum next season is we have to be in contention for top 6 at this point of the season 

I’ve seen nothing to suggest we will though. We have gone down the same failed route as we did with Lee Johnson - I fail to understand why people think it will work this time when it didn’t work before 

In fact - I’d say Tinnion is a step down from Mark Ashton and Manning is less experienced then LJ - so our structure is weaker then before 

The cold hard reality is we have employed a manager whose league form since he has taken over has been relegation form and we have employed a technical director who admits we have employed a rookie 

As a fan of a club who has seen our owners make plenty of ridiculous mistakes down the years …..I still can’t believe how much they have ****** this one up 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1