IGNORED

Tinnion is being treated far too harshly

reddogkev

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

I don't care if I get shot down, that's fine, but I am sick of the negativity towards Tinnion.

I love the guy.  Pure and simple, he's a city legend and was in the team for my first four years as a fan and had a left peg I absolutely worshipped.

Anyway, I'm not here to talk about his football legacy, I think it's cruel and unfair the way he's treated on here, quite often as a figure of fun and with his intelligence and communication skills being mocked and belittled, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

He's not our enemy, he's our ambassador, he's a man who's gave most of his working career to our club, even though being a Geordie and having no previous affinity to the club.

We know he's not the best fit for the job he currently has, but he had the ambition to go for it, the same as his stint as a manager, he wasn't up to speed, but he had the ambition and drive to go for it.  I respect and love that.

It's not his fault if he's not right for the job, it's up the people above him if they feel he should be replaced.

Personally, I want him in charge of the academy, that's his best fit and hopefully he will be back there sometime in the future - back within his comfort zone.

But in the meantime, he will definitely be giving everything to the club and deserves much more respect and our support.

You don't have to love Pearson and hate Brian, you can appreciate them both!

And even though I don't agree with Manning being our gaffer, I can see the reasons why he was recruited.

Whether he's a legend depends on your age. If you saw John Atyeo play, it's laughable to call him.a legend. If you saw the likes of Ritchie, Gow etc it's silly. If you go back to the likes of Walsh/ Taylor/Newman it's possibly beginning to make sense.

The word legend is hugely overused.

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

Some might say Brian is digging his own hole!

I said the other day I was at his first game and the guy fully deserved his testimonial. A right proper shithead as the song goes! 

I’ve got to say I was pretty fed up with Danny Wilson not even having Leroy Lita on the bench, that was a sackable on its own. But Brian coming in with such huge backing from SL was a bit of a surprise!

Fast forward player rebellions, sackings, coaching in Spain, coming back and finding his own path way through the academy and scouting and now an FA Youth Cup Semi you have to say the bloke has his niche. 

He is without doubt excellent within his niche, however we had a highly regarded CEO recommended by Mr Scudamore fired and it seems replaced by Brian. We were told we were in good hands under Nigel Pearson, who was obviously building a squad under huge injury restraints fired in the weirdest circumstances! 

Brians fingerprints are all over the massively unpopular decision to fire Mr Pearson and the nuts decision that came before it. 

Obviously Brian (and others) is feeling backlash on the back of awful performances, booing of a victory and huge amounts of empty seats right at renewal time. ALL RIGHT IN FRONT OF SL! 

Going on the radio was not a short notice decision made in isolation by Brian. It simply can’t have been as he is now spokesman for the club. (Even Goebbels had a boss!)

I would not have wanted Brian to go! I just wanted him to do what he’s good at!! 

Brian needs to follow direction when it comes to first team affairs, not be the director as he will do what he does, make terrible decisions, because he can!….He is now in a very deep hole of his own digging, which unless something changes quickly is going to effect the bottom line unless he strikes gold down there!

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Tinnion has accepted a senior role at the club and put himself forward for press and media appearances as part of that. Ultimately that is going to result in points where he gets the credit (often deserved over recent years in his previous roles) but, if he wants to get his share of the credit, he also needs to accept his share of the flak when things go wrong.

I don't want to get into some of the speculation and comments about his personality and character because I know nothing about those and it would be unfair to comment. In terms of his actual ability in the role, I think there are two areas where I slightly disagree with the consensus:

1) I don't think he's manifestly unqualified for the job - a Technical Director/DoF is NOT a manager and, when you look at who does those roles at major clubs, it's not necessary or relevant to have been a successful coach to do it. Promoting someone with several years backroom experience to the role - in and of itself - makes sense. That said we have a specific issue with the fact that most or all of the key figures at the club lack significant experience elsewhere so I'm not sure who supports someone promoted to a new role to learn.

2) I don't necessarily feel certain he's the wrong person for the long-term, although I think there is a need to get some more experience elsewhere in the structure to make it work, and he also needs to be able to acknowledge and learn from mistakes made in recent months. I think at the moment it is clear his role is not working and will not work unless changes are made. Of course, he might be outright unsuitable for the role but I don't feel certain on that. 

What I do think though is:

1) It is utterly valid to criticise his performance over recent months and he's in a role where it is fair enough that he is subject to fan scrutiny. I'm not personally a big fan of the personal attacks but there may be posters who are more informed than me on some of those and feel more qualified to discuss his character.

2) The club need to accept that he, JL and Manning are all poor at communicating to fans and, if there is nobody in the structure who communicates with fans well, PR disasters are going to be more likely and there will be greater scrutiny of mistakes. 

I think part of it comes from the lack of an experienced CEO/COO alongside him, if Gould or Alexander were still here or a replacement hired there may be less of an issue, its that lack of experience working at first team level in the roles people are doing. Brian's main success has been working in the academy, developing players and working on the pathway, that I don't think any City fan really questions that. I also agree when the club are looking for a Technical Director they're probably either looking externally or the most likely internal candidate is probably Tinnion at that point.

Personally I don't think our recruitment has been bad for 90% of the players we've brought in since Tinnion has had greater first team influence, people can cite the lack of reinvestment but quite frankly that could be a decision made above Tinnion's station and he's left trying to give a plausible reason to the public, I'm sure he'd love to recruit the best players we can afford with reinvestment. Similar with Pearson's sacking, few people will know the genuine things that happened behind the scenes that led up until that point, I think most people on here acknowledge the reasons given publicly are probably a sham, but again perhaps the real reasons were to be kept quiet and Tinnion/JL left to try and make something sound reasonable to the public. what if it was also a case of it being SL/JL's decision to sack Pearson & Tinnion just had to go along with it. I'm completely working off guess work here, but say Pearson's health issues had reached such a point that it was clearly impacting his work in a negative way but he refused to resign, City can't fire him on that basis and performances are likely cover story, the real reason has to stay concealed and a sham reason in public which people then base their opinions off.

A lot of fans don't realise just how much said by managers, CEO's, technical directors etc in interviews is flat out & deliberately untrue, but because its appeared in an interview its taken as gospel at times. This isn't supposed to be a 'Tinnion has been treated too harshly and should be let off' post, but more of a how much has Tinnion had lumped on him from above and had to try and make palatable to the public and therefore he takes the brunt of it. Personally I wasn't really in favour of Pearson going and I'm unsold on Manning thus far but I can factor that not everything can be a matter of cut and dry as it appears. 

You definitely have a point in that some of the language used has been beyond extreme. The guy has genuinely done a ton of good for City in various different positions at the club, and that shouldn't be forgotten. Even if he hadn't, it's been pretty damn brutal.

Can't agree any further than that though. If what has been suggested by those ITK is correct, then the criticism is completely justified. It should probably be delivered with a little less hate though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

I don't care if I get shot down, that's fine, but I am sick of the negativity towards Tinnion.

I love the guy.  Pure and simple, he's a city legend and was in the team for my first four years as a fan and had a left peg I absolutely worshipped.

Anyway, I'm not here to talk about his football legacy, I think it's cruel and unfair the way he's treated on here, quite often as a figure of fun and with his intelligence and communication skills being mocked and belittled, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

He's not our enemy, he's our ambassador, he's a man who's gave most of his working career to our club, even though being a Geordie and having no previous affinity to the club.

We know he's not the best fit for the job he currently has, but he had the ambition to go for it, the same as his stint as a manager, he wasn't up to speed, but he had the ambition and drive to go for it.  I respect and love that.

It's not his fault if he's not right for the job, it's up the people above him if they feel he should be replaced.

Personally, I want him in charge of the academy, that's his best fit and hopefully he will be back there sometime in the future - back within his comfort zone.

But in the meantime, he will definitely be giving everything to the club and deserves much more respect and our support.

And even though I don't agree with Manning being our gaffer, I can see the reasons why he was recruited.

Agree with most of this. 

4 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

You definitely have a point in that some of the language used has been beyond extreme. The guy has genuinely done a ton of good for City in various different positions at the club, and that shouldn't be forgotten. Even if he hadn't, it's been pretty damn brutal.

Can't agree any further than that though. If what has been suggested by those ITK is correct, then the criticism is completely justified. It should probably be delivered with a little less hate though.

Speaking of ITK, is it true that some posters on here went to Brian with targets and to be involved in recruitment only to be knocked back? I wonder if those are the same posters who now are slating him. 

• Haha 1
  • Robin 1
  • Facepalm 4

1 minute ago, WeAreThePigs said:

Speaking of ITK, is it true that some posters on here went to Brian with targets and to be involved in recruitment only to be knocked back? I wonder if those are the same posters who now are slating him. 

There must have been a lot of them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

You’ve said in your own post that you don’t want him doing the job he’s employed to do. 

Not many are commenting on his playing abilities as that is completely irrelevant now. 

Most of us have seen and heard enough to suggest that he isn’t up to the job and out of his depth. This frustration is greater due to the competence of his predecessor. 

• Thanks 1

He'll be here as long as the Lansdowns are around. Anyone with any football nous and any idea how to run a club would bump him back down to looking after the loanees. 

He was a good servant with a decent left peg, strolling around in his comfort zone.

And he's destroyed any goodwill that he deserved. He's poisoned 

Edited by harvey54
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, The Fat Controller said:

If people want to criticise his performance as Technical Director, I have no problem with that at all. 

Predictably for OTIB some of the things said about him recently have been insulting and childish. 

Yep. Fair justifiable criticism is reasonable, childish insults isn’t.

• Like 1

You make him sound like the messiah but :-

1. He is not doing it for free

2. He genuinely believes he is best for this role (I avoided the word entitled on purpose because he is but not in the sense of deserving this role)

3. He does not respect fans as his 30 year comment and us and them mentality show (so thick it did not occur to him some of us have been a part of this club much longer and we have to pay for that)

4. He clearly had influence on people departing this club to his gain - he is a 🐍- no doubt about that

5. If it wasn’t for that one goal (and we weren’t so starved of historical success) he would have just been another decent left footed player who older generations remember played for us much like Alan Walsh. Good yes, legend no (and never will be remembered as such due to his failure as manager and impending failure we will soon see ending again in tears)

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

Probably worth pointing out that fans have been delighted with the pathway in recent years, and happy with a fair few transfers, eg Bird and Stokes incoming. Its not all bad, but communication is a major issue.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

giphy.gif

Edited by kmpowell
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, mozo said:

Probably worth pointing out that fans have been delighted with the pathway in recent years, and happy with a fair few transfers, eg Bird and Stokes incoming. Its not all bad, but communication is a major issue.

Stokes it is a big leap, the pathway seems to have stalled a bit- time will tell..

McCrorie, Dickie, Knight, TGH all good and either in and around peak or with room to grow, Bird too hopefully.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

What makes me laugh, is that we've had a policy with recruitment, where we look for intelligent players. Yes there are some exceptions to that rule, but a great majority of our players are well spoken, intelligent and can converse coherently. 

Yet we have a bloke in charge of that, that is none of them. 

I cringe at the thought of him talking with Agents. 

He's meant to represent us at the top...what does that look like to an outsider....

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 2

1 minute ago, spudski said:

What makes me laugh, is that we've had a policy with recruitment, where we look for intelligent players. Yes there are some exceptions to that rule, but a great majority of our players are well spoken, intelligent and can converse coherently. 

Yet we have a bloke in charge of that, that is none of them. 

I cringe at the thought of him talking with Agents. 

He's meant to represent us at the top...what does that look like to an outsider....

Clearly does well enough making the case for us if those players then still want to come in

• Like 1

Just now, Lrrr said:

Clearly does well enough making the case for us if those players then still want to come in

You have a point...however it still doesn't look great. I suggest probably someone else steps in on the finance side of things.

• Like 1

Make no mistake about it. 

The act of absolute self sabotage that the club embarked on in November was in no small part to do with Tinnion.

Even if he didn't instigate it, he could have tried to battle against it. 

But he didn't. Because Brian Tinnion benefited. Which gives belief that his fingerprints are all over it. 

He's so far up the Lansdown's arses he could eat their breakfast for them.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

I think part of it comes from the lack of an experienced CEO/COO alongside him, if Gould or Alexander were still here or a replacement hired there may be less of an issue, its that lack of experience working at first team level in the roles people are doing. Brian's main success has been working in the academy, developing players and working on the pathway, that I don't think any City fan really questions that. I also agree when the club are looking for a Technical Director they're probably either looking externally or the most likely internal candidate is probably Tinnion at that point.

Personally I don't think our recruitment has been bad for 90% of the players we've brought in since Tinnion has had greater first team influence, people can cite the lack of reinvestment but quite frankly that could be a decision made above Tinnion's station and he's left trying to give a plausible reason to the public, I'm sure he'd love to recruit the best players we can afford with reinvestment. Similar with Pearson's sacking, few people will know the genuine things that happened behind the scenes that led up until that point, I think most people on here acknowledge the reasons given publicly are probably a sham, but again perhaps the real reasons were to be kept quiet and Tinnion/JL left to try and make something sound reasonable to the public. what if it was also a case of it being SL/JL's decision to sack Pearson & Tinnion just had to go along with it. I'm completely working off guess work here, but say Pearson's health issues had reached such a point that it was clearly impacting his work in a negative way but he refused to resign, City can't fire him on that basis and performances are likely cover story, the real reason has to stay concealed and a sham reason in public which people then base their opinions off.

A lot of fans don't realise just how much said by managers, CEO's, technical directors etc in interviews is flat out & deliberately untrue, but because its appeared in an interview its taken as gospel at times. This isn't supposed to be a 'Tinnion has been treated too harshly and should be let off' post, but more of a how much has Tinnion had lumped on him from above and had to try and make palatable to the public and therefore he takes the brunt of it. Personally I wasn't really in favour of Pearson going and I'm unsold on Manning thus far but I can factor that not everything can be a matter of cut and dry as it appears. 

Firstly I think you have to separate the Nige sacking from the LM appointment and treat each individually.

I am unsure of BT’s involvement in the sacking.

But I’m very sure of his involvement in the LM appointment.  SL, JL and GM are not gonna come up with LM’s name without serious input from BT.

And similarly, you treat recruitment separately.  It’s been decent for 18-24 months.  Knight, Dickie, etc.  Still question marks over Twine and even bigger over Mebude.  We will see re Bird, Murphy and Stokes.  All three on our radar pre Manning, so SG and BT’s fingerprints all over them.  I’ll sit on the fence re BT’s first window - a 6/10.

Can judge the summer much better, when it finishes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nebristolred said:

And no doubt been paid handsomely for doing 'his job.'

• Like 2

3 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Mate stop mumbling your a hapoy clapper bore off.

26 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Make no mistake about it. 

The act of absolute self sabotage that the club embarked on in November was in no small part to do with Tinnion.

Even if he didn't instigate it, he could have tried to battle against it. 

But he didn't. Because Brian Tinnion benefited. Which gives belief that his fingerprints are all over it. 

He's so far up the Lansdown's arses he could eat their breakfast for them.

Distinctly recall towards the end of NP’s reign, BT as co-commentator on RobinsTV… he was audibly sighing and tutting. It was clear he wasn’t a fan of what was being served by NP.

Ironically, he is now full of contentment, with many fans displeased at what they see.

Edited by Sturgess
  • Like 7
  • Flames 3