IGNORED

Tinnion is being treated far too harshly

reddogkev

10 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I don't care if I get shot down, that's fine, but I am sick of the negativity towards Tinnion.

I love the guy.  Pure and simple, he's a city legend and was in the team for my first four years as a fan and had a left peg I absolutely worshipped.

Anyway, I'm not here to talk about his football legacy, I think it's cruel and unfair the way he's treated on here, quite often as a figure of fun and with his intelligence and communication skills being mocked and belittled, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

He's not our enemy, he's our ambassador, he's a man who's gave most of his working career to our club, even though being a Geordie and having no previous affinity to the club.

We know he's not the best fit for the job he currently has, but he had the ambition to go for it, the same as his stint as a manager, he wasn't up to speed, but he had the ambition and drive to go for it.  I respect and love that.

It's not his fault if he's not right for the job, it's up the people above him if they feel he should be replaced.

Personally, I want him in charge of the academy, that's his best fit and hopefully he will be back there sometime in the future - back within his comfort zone.

But in the meantime, he will definitely be giving everything to the club and deserves much more respect and our support.

You don't have to love Pearson and hate Brian, you can appreciate them both!

And even though I don't agree with Manning being our gaffer, I can see the reasons why he was recruited.

Nah i'm sorry but the bloke is a fraud that i want out of our club ASAP, the interview on Monday night solidified that for me..

• Like 12
  • Flames 4

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There is a point where someone can say “I don’t want to do the job you’re offering”.  We know from Tins himself he feels he’s deserving of the role…so imho he deserves to be critiqued based on the role.

This, in a nutshell. He believes that having been here 30 years he’s earnt the job he’s in. Therefore, he is absolutely fair game for criticism.

The only slight amendment I’ll make to @reddogkevs post is that when becoming manager he didn’t “have the ability and drive to go for it” - there wasn’t a vacancy until he actively manoeuvred for it. If that’s a trait to be admired in a football club where you should all pull for collective success, then I don’t know what to say.

• Like 11
  • Flames 3

Nah.

I'm not at all convinced by this whole "great with the academy" stuff either. His communication is terrible and he seems pretty delusional.

Those are pretty big areas that I'd want to address in someone running a high level academy.

Seems pretty easy to claim he's great at something that can't be proven

• Like 5

The baffling thing is that 'Yes' men/women aren't generally good for your business. I'd rather have people who are prepared to give you their genuine opinion based on their expertise. This problem is at the heart of our continued lack of success for a club with our potential and means. The real decisions are made by the unqualified. They can't even get the merchandise right ffs!! 

• Like 2
  • Flames 5

I think Tinnion should have stayed where he was in a bullet proof position at the club where he was doing a decent job. 
The fact that he’s responsible for the tasks he has now is equivalent to a cleaner at the hospital being promoted to surgeon because he’s been there thirty years. 

• Like 14

He's an arrogant "know it all". Don't care what he did as a footballer.

Take twitter as an example "see you when we are in the Prem", that statement justifies my comments.

I'm slowly reverting to not being able to stand the bloke.

• Like 6
  • Flames 3

One of my all time favourite players.  That season with Murray's goals in particular he was ridiculous.

But....he's worn away all of his credibility since taking on this role.  Guilty of treating the fans with no respect whatsoever and thinking he's omnipotent enough to pull the wool over our eyes with blatant falsehoods.

He showed on Monday in particular how unaligned the board are with the feelings of the fans.  He thinks we're so simple that we look only at results and decide if we're happy based on that.  Absolute epitome of a fallen idol. 

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

“It’s not his fault he isn’t right for the job” is the quote from the OP. I would suggest many on here have been offered jobs with huge pay implications and have had the balls to say “no, not my skillset, I’d let you down and I’m not doing that”.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I don't care if I get shot down, that's fine, but I am sick of the negativity towards Tinnion.

I love the guy.  Pure and simple, he's a city legend and was in the team for my first four years as a fan and had a left peg I absolutely worshipped.

Anyway, I'm not here to talk about his football legacy, I think it's cruel and unfair the way he's treated on here, quite often as a figure of fun and with his intelligence and communication skills being mocked and belittled, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

He's not our enemy, he's our ambassador, he's a man who's gave most of his working career to our club, even though being a Geordie and having no previous affinity to the club.

We know he's not the best fit for the job he currently has, but he had the ambition to go for it, the same as his stint as a manager, he wasn't up to speed, but he had the ambition and drive to go for it.  I respect and love that.

It's not his fault if he's not right for the job, it's up the people above him if they feel he should be replaced.

Personally, I want him in charge of the academy, that's his best fit and hopefully he will be back there sometime in the future - back within his comfort zone.

But in the meantime, he will definitely be giving everything to the club and deserves much more respect and our support.

And even though I don't agree with Manning being our gaffer, I can see the reasons why he was recruited.

He's manifestly unsuited to the position.

He is so far out of his depth it's actually alarming..

Players, Agents of Players what must they be thinking?

Max Bird who is a good player who we got on presumably okay terms, well it's too late to back out how..

Prospective targets in the summer, players at the club we want to keep.

I don't see grounds for the defence in his current role.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

Sorry, could someone explain to me why he was a legend as a player. Long serving certainly, but all his best years were in tier 3. Had the odd decent game in tier 2 but nothing to write home about IMO.

Then there's his performance in the playoff final vs Brighton - he was shocking, but instead of holding his hand up put all the blame on Danny Wilson. 

• Like 10
  • Flames 4

Tinnion has accepted a senior role at the club and put himself forward for press and media appearances as part of that. Ultimately that is going to result in points where he gets the credit (often deserved over recent years in his previous roles) but, if he wants to get his share of the credit, he also needs to accept his share of the flak when things go wrong.

I don't want to get into some of the speculation and comments about his personality and character because I know nothing about those and it would be unfair to comment. In terms of his actual ability in the role, I think there are two areas where I slightly disagree with the consensus:

1) I don't think he's manifestly unqualified for the job - a Technical Director/DoF is NOT a manager and, when you look at who does those roles at major clubs, it's not necessary or relevant to have been a successful coach to do it. Promoting someone with several years backroom experience to the role - in and of itself - makes sense. That said we have a specific issue with the fact that most or all of the key figures at the club lack significant experience elsewhere so I'm not sure who supports someone promoted to a new role to learn.

2) I don't necessarily feel certain he's the wrong person for the long-term, although I think there is a need to get some more experience elsewhere in the structure to make it work, and he also needs to be able to acknowledge and learn from mistakes made in recent months. I think at the moment it is clear his role is not working and will not work unless changes are made. Of course, he might be outright unsuitable for the role but I don't feel certain on that. 

What I do think though is:

1) It is utterly valid to criticise his performance over recent months and he's in a role where it is fair enough that he is subject to fan scrutiny. I'm not personally a big fan of the personal attacks but there may be posters who are more informed than me on some of those and feel more qualified to discuss his character.

2) The club need to accept that he, JL and Manning are all poor at communicating to fans and, if there is nobody in the structure who communicates with fans well, PR disasters are going to be more likely and there will be greater scrutiny of mistakes. 

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 3

The simple way to look at it is if Joe Boggs, a great player for Hull City 30 years ago, took on Tinnions role, told the same lies and/or embellishments of the truth, brought in his own managerial staff who have struggled to get to grips with the club, showed the same lack of composure in interviews etc. would you be defending him because he had a wand of a left foot 30 years ago?

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

It would help if he didn’t spout absolute bullshit. Things that are facts he is getting wrong to try and back his argument. 
He’s an idiot or he thinks we are. Either way with him in his current position along with the Lansdowns we are going in one direction.

If you read this Brian. Do what’s best for the club and pack your bags. Many thanks. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

4 minutes ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

He is no doubt being paid very well for doing the job he does. He’s not doing it as a charitable gesture. Thus he needs to be accountable and competent or face criticism. 

In the words of Roy Keane "it's his job.............".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Tinnion dug his own grave the moment he knifed Pearson in the back. 

Edited by Graham76
Typo
  • Like 6
  • Flames 3

51 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There is a point where someone can say “I don’t want to do the job you’re offering”.  We know from Tins himself he feels he’s deserving of the role…so imho he deserves to be critiqued based on the role.

Critiquing him on his role is fair. But the majority of the flack that comes his way isn't based on his performance as technical director but the assumed role (on no evidence) he played in the dismissal of Pearson.