IGNORED

Tinnion is being treated far too harshly

reddogkev

11 hours ago, Malago said:

Not forgetting Tins played a key role in the signing of both Antione and Alex Scott, which consequently netted the club £30 million plus. Transfer income might not matter to the OTIB Taliban, but it puts him in significant credit with SL

Right, but that's because I don't give two shits if Steve pockets £30m. I care about what's happening on the pitch, which direction the club are headed in, and if/when we do sell players - how much of that is then used to benefit the club... which appears to have been £0m.

At the moment, as a fan, the only effect those sales have had on me are a) I no longer get to watch 2 of the most exciting players I've seen at AG in a long time, and b) er... that's kind of it. As far as I know we didn't need it for FFP, and even if we did the amount doesn't matter there as we weren't far off.

You've talked about him being in credit with SL. Maybe he is. But what about whether he's in credit with YOU, as a fan?

• Like 7
  • Flames 4

3 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Right, but that's because I don't give two shits if Steve pockets £30m. I care about what's happening on the pitch, which direction the club are headed in, and if/when we do sell players - how much of that is then used to benefit the club... which appears to have been £0m.

At the moment, as a fan, the only effect those sales have had on me are a) I no longer get to watch 2 of the most exciting players I've seen at AG in a long time, and b) er... that's kind of it. As far as I know we didn't need it for FFP, and even if we did the amount doesn't matter there as we weren't far off.

You've talked about him being in credit with SL. Maybe he is. But what about whether he's in credit with YOU, as a fan?

Unfortunately for us fans, players also have ambitions and it is hard to blame someone for accepting an opportunity to accept a life changing pay rise.  

34 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

That's fair enough but if we make a step improvement next season will you give him credit for his role in appointing Manning? People are judging far too early.

35 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

I will . But absolute minimum next season is we have to be in contention for bottom 6 at this point of the season

Ammended 😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

That's fair enough but if we make a step improvement next season will you give him credit for his role in appointing Manning? People are judging far too early.

Firstly, I’m not in the camp of Tins being the bad-guy for everything.

My beef is predominantly that Manning isn’t the right man - both ability and football style - imho.  And Tins would’ve played a large part in selecting him, and imho has mis-profiled him against the type of football him and JL said they wanted.

So, it’s not an easy one to answer in your kinda one-dimensional question.  Nor is that a criticism of the question, but that it’s just more nuanced than that.

My evaluation of Tins as the recommender is ultimately judged on how Manning does…against where I think the squad should be.

This season, I expected him to carry on the progress being made, so was looking for a finish circa 10th, staying in the play off hunt deep into the season.  Failing that, I expected any regression to be the result of implementing his football style, ie, I’d cut him some slack.

So far, he’s underperformed on playoff hunt and football style is a mess imho.  For me, I don’t see him changing nor us progressing with how he’s doing things, hence why I’m Manning out.  That is my prerogative, you happen to think people are judging too early.  I think the longer you leave it, the worse it will get.

But…

I accept things can change, three simple scenarios, e.g.

• he does carry on what he’s doing in his way, and we make progress, proving that “time was indeed the healer”, and I’ll hold my hands up
  • we throw money at him in the summer to cover his inadequacies - to me that shouldn’t mean credit for anyone, if anything it proves they got it wrong - don’t forget there was no budget in August when Alex was sold, and the owner told us fans via PA on SOTC that he was no longer willing to stump up the sums he had been each year
  • he does improve us, but by doing it different / playing differently - then I could turn round and say “told you so”, but I’ll at least give some credit to Manning for at least showing adaptability.  I’m not sure Tins gets any credit in this scenario.

Hope that makes sense?

The other thing is that Tins has now given us next season’s target, and that is playoffs.  He’s basically said he expects us to be right in the mix next season.

I will of course wait and see what happens between now and mid-July when the season kicks off, before deciding whether that’s a realistic aim or not.  Just like I did on Manning’s appointment when they made their claims!

The other area I’ll be judging Tins on is recruitment.  That is nuanced again.  I thought the winter window was 6/10.

I guess, I could turn the question back on you now.  What your basis for continuing to give Tins credit, and what would it take to make you think the opposite?

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

I don't go in for the childish name calling. But as for the image...well I'd say that is important. They started with a blank piece of paper when it came to marketing the season tickets. Could have had anything. In the past might have been - and has been - a montage of our promising young players - but they chose a montage of former players - some so former that as a man in my 60s I'm looking at images from my childhood - and a trio of leaders...Alan Dicks, legend but who left the club before I started work, Liam Manning, who may have many qualities we're yet to see as a coach but has zero charisma, and...Brian Tinnion???!!!! I could kind of see him in the players montage but in the role that places him on a par with Manning and Dicks - as a manager - he was an abject failure, one of SL's bigger mistakes. I can't understand what the designers were thinking...unless...

...my sense is that the folk running the club honestly think that everyone loves Tins, hence his radio interview. That he represents something of the club's heritage, that he can really speak to the fans. I think that a misjudgement. 'Trust me on Tinnion' is seared in my memory. I don't have anything against Brian Tinnion personally but his reincarnation as a key club figure reminds me of everything bad about the Lansdown years.  

I think it would’ve more appropriate to have an image of Tins in his playing days.  To put him “up-top” alongside Manning (no issue with Manning) and opposite Dicks with an image of his current role is bordering on antagonistic.  They didn’t use an image of Scotty Murray pegging the kit out did they! 🤣

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Crimson Crayola said:

Also what realistic motives does Tinnion have to see Nige go? He is and never will be seen as a viable manager. He was Technical director before Pearson was sacked, no?

Same job title pre and post - very different R&R abd expectations.

Don’t forget we had two people (PA and NP) undertaking “stuff” that I’ll simplify as Strategy and Management tasks that they’ve divvied up between GM, TR, BT and LM.  I don’t see much evidence at this point of those tasks being executed in the sane fashion / level as it stands.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My beef is predominantly that Manning isn’t the right man - both ability and football style - imho.  And Tins would’ve played a large part in selecting him, and imho has mis-profiled him against the type of football him and JL said they wanted.

So, it’s not an easy one to answer in your kinda one-dimensional question.  Nor is that a criticism of the question, but that it’s just more nuanced than that.

My evaluation of Tins as the recommender is ultimately judged on how Manning does…against where I think the squad should be.

This season, I expected him to carry on the progress being made, so was looking for a finish circa 10th, staying in the play off hunt deep into the season.  Failing that, I expected any regression to be the result of implementing his football style, ie, I’d cut him some slack.

So far, he’s underperformed on playoff hunt and football style is a mess imho.  For me, I don’t see him changing nor us progressing with how he’s doing things, hence why I’m Manning out.  That is my prerogative, you happen to think people are judging too early.  I think the longer you leave it, the worse it will get.

But…

• he does carry on what he’s doing in his way, and we make progress, proving that “time was indeed the healer”, and I’ll hold my hands up
  • we throw money at him in the summer to cover his inadequacies - to me that shouldn’t mean credit for anyone, if anything it proves they got it wrong - don’t forget there was no budget in August when Alex was sold, and the owner told us fans via PA on SOTC that he was no longer willing to stump up the sums he had been each year
  • he does improve us, but by doing it different / playing differently - then I could turn round and say “told you so”, but I’ll at least give some credit to Manning for at least showing adaptability.  I’m not sure Tins gets any credit in this scenario.

Hope that makes sense?

The other thing is that Tins has now given us next season’s target, and that is playoffs.  He’s basically said he expects us to be right in the mix next season.

I will of course wait and see what happens between now and mid-July when the season kicks off, before deciding whether that’s a realistic aim or not.  Just like I did on Manning’s appointment when they made their claims!

The other area I’ll be judging Tins on is recruitment.  That is nuanced again.  I thought the winter window was 6/10.

I guess, I could turn the question back on you now.  What your basis for continuing to give Tins credit, and what would it take to make you think the opposite?

I think it would’ve more appropriate to have an image of Tins in his playing days.  To put him “up-top” alongside Manning (no issue with Manning) and opposite Dicks with an image of his current role is bordering on antagonistic.  They didn’t use an image of Scotty Murray pegging the kit out did they! 🤣

That’s what they did with LJ Dave and wouldn’t be surprised if they do it again, albeit not quite to the LJ levels.

Then when they finally see that manning is not up to it and they can no longer paper the cracks they’ll appoint a proven manager to steady the ship whilst cost cutting.  😩 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Roe said:

I'm not sure it can really be proven from the outside. Which is convenient seeing as he's apparently great at it.

But can you not make exactly the same argument the other way? Or you're saying while it's impossible from the outside to prove he is responsible/had a huge positive impact on anything good, we can definitively prove he is directly or largely responsible for the negative things.

Seems to me that it is that line of thinking which, to use your words, is convenient. 

14 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

But can you not make exactly the same argument the other way? Or you're saying while it's impossible from the outside to prove he is responsible/had a huge positive impact on anything good, we can definitively prove he is directly or largely responsible for the negative things.

Seems to me that it is that line of thinking which, to use your words, is convenient. 

We can only really judge by what we see on the pitch, which is f-in heinous at present.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

It was at last some truth from the top. 
My club you peasants. I’ll do what I like with it , from afar of course. 

It's now clearly obvious to me that SL doesn't give a toss about the results of all clubs, City, City Women, Bears and Bears Women. Basketball is totally irrelevant!

All he cares about is profit from construction of buildings! We could end up in National South and he wouldn't bcare.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

Not really.  Depends what you mean by negative things.

It can be proven that his communication skills aren't that great by just listening to him speak.

It can be proven that he isn't particularly literate or professional, given that his own LinkedIn page still lists him as "Tecknical Director" among many other spelling errors. Best case scenario is someone with learning disabilities wrote it for him. Either way it's a bit of a red flag for me personally. Perhaps this is being picky; some people won't be bothered by this at all.

It can be proven that he has lied and repeatedly told delusional misinformation.

It can be proven that he's revealed undisclosed transfer details.

It can be proven that his first team coach, Liam Manning, hasn't improved the current squad, as stated he would, given how awful we've been in so many of his games.

I have absolutely no idea how good he is at scouting, or as being a director of recruitment, as I said. I can only go on what we know and can't help be sceptical given the facts.

Edited by Roe
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

54 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Same job title pre and post - very different R&R abd expectations.

Don’t forget we had two people (PA and NP) undertaking “stuff” that I’ll simplify as Strategy and Management tasks that they’ve divvied up between GM, TR, BT and LM.  I don’t see much evidence at this point of those tasks being executed in the sane fashion / level as it stands.

Good points but I'd suggest Tinnion had a lot more to gain from PA leaving than Pearson, but no-one gets in a hump about that. 

I'm certain Tinnion is not 100% blameless in Nigels departure (he could of, and probably didn't fight Nigel's corner) but any suggestions that this doesn't land mostly at the Landsdown's feet are wildly underestimating their insecurity issues. And so any speculation that he's a snake I find a little undeserving.

• Hmmm 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

But…

Hope that makes sense?

Maybe I'm a bit different to most on here but I've seen enough positive changes since Manning took over to be optimistic about next season. Although the ppg are roughly the same as before there have been some noticeable changes:

.   we look more solid defensively

.  we can put runs of wins together

.  we are able to beat sides near the top of the league when at our best (which we couldn't before)

On the negative side, the main issue is we're not scoring enough goals, but this could potentially be addressed in the summer with two or three additions to the squad. I don't expect the owners to throw money at Manning but if as expected Conway goes for say £6m I would expect all of that plus maybe a bit more (say £2m) to get the players we require. I can see why he wanted Twine, in the one game he played he was always looking to play the ball forward and it will be interesting to see if our form picks up once he gets a run of games. We also need a forward player who can hold the ball up, eg a younger version of Chris Martin.

Regarding Tinnion I always enjoyed watching him as a player and he's also done a great job with the Academy. He's found his new role more challenging but he's always done his best for the club so doesn't deserve the abuse he's been getting from some of the playground bullies on here. He's not so good on the media side so could do with some training in that aspect perhaps but he's fairly new to the job just like Manning so they both deserve more time before people label them as a failure or a success. 

• Hmmm 2

I'm not sure on what basis we look more solid defensively.

We've conceded 15% more goals per game since Manning took over, with only 3 clean sheets in 27 games, two of those games being absolute dross 0-0 draws against the worst form teams in the league at the time..

In 8 of those 27 games we've let in at least 2 as well

• Like 5

22 hours ago, reddogkev said:

I don't care if I get shot down, that's fine, but I am sick of the negativity towards Tinnion.

I love the guy.  Pure and simple, he's a city legend and was in the team for my first four years as a fan and had a left peg I absolutely worshipped.

Anyway, I'm not here to talk about his football legacy, I think it's cruel and unfair the way he's treated on here, quite often as a figure of fun and with his intelligence and communication skills being mocked and belittled, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

He's not our enemy, he's our ambassador, he's a man who's gave most of his working career to our club, even though being a Geordie and having no previous affinity to the club.

We know he's not the best fit for the job he currently has, but he had the ambition to go for it, the same as his stint as a manager, he wasn't up to speed, but he had the ambition and drive to go for it.  I respect and love that.

It's not his fault if he's not right for the job, it's up the people above him if they feel he should be replaced.

Personally, I want him in charge of the academy, that's his best fit and hopefully he will be back there sometime in the future - back within his comfort zone.

But in the meantime, he will definitely be giving everything to the club and deserves much more respect and our support.

You don't have to love Pearson and hate Brian, you can appreciate them both!

And even though I don't agree with Manning being our gaffer, I can see the reasons why he was recruited.

Yep i totally agree.

I think he's made mistakes - but when he says he wants the best for our club i believe him.

People should direct their anger at JL - buck stops with him. He's totally clueless. At least tins has done extremely well with the academy.

What has JL ever done? other that be deluded about the level of our current squad?

2 hours ago, IAmNick said:

Well we did, the Semenyo cash for FFP at the very least I'd say. Scott harder to say.

Losses of -£10m, -£38m (averaged for Covid -£24m), -£28.5m and even with the Semenyo sale £22.2m last year.

There were usual Allowables and Covid but I reckon not selling Semenyo would have brought difficulties. EFL may have been unimpressed had we sought to retain Semenyo and offset via Covid and usual Allowables alone.

There was possibly a belief that the rules would be waived or changed with existing issues wiped post Covid..guess what it never happened domestically.

Gould was imploring change as soon as Jan 2022, it never materialised as Leagues and clubs couldn't agree all that much.

Still hasn't technically materialised even now.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Yep i totally agree.

I think he's made mistakes - but when he says he wants the best for our club i believe him.

People should direct their anger at JL - buck stops with him. He's totally clueless. At least tins has done extremely well with the academy.

What has JL ever done? other that be deluded about the level of our current squad?

Of course he wants the best for our club...he's hardly going to want the opposite. 

Wanting the best for our Club doesn't mean he's the right man for the role of Technical Director.

We have an owner, JL and Gavin Marshall. None of em know **** all about managing or coaching a football team...so they will have to take all their info from BT. 

What experience does BT have at making the right decisions for the first team? Academy and loan progressions yes...but not the first team. He failed massively as a manager...and simply doesn't warrant his position to basically make and inform ( in his opinion ) what is best for our first team. He is the only one in that position to do so. 

Add that he is hopeless when speaking to the media and public, as is JL...then it's a poor appointment. 

Gavin Marshall as CFO is spread thinner by the year. He works on Bristol Sport, HPC, Woman's Rugby, Bristol Bears, both Academy's, Bristol City Holdings, Aston Gate Ltd and the Flyers...it's a crazy situation. 

The owner, JL, BT and the poor CFO.

It really is a crazy situation...backed up with a coach learning on the job and a bunch of analysts out of Uni. 🙈🙈🙈🤷

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 5

39 minutes ago, Roe said:

I'm not sure on what basis we look more solid defensively.

We've conceded 15% more goals per game since Manning took over, with only 3 clean sheets in 27 games, two of those games being absolute dross 0-0 draws against the worst form teams in the league at the time..

In 8 of those 27 games we've let in at least 2 as well

Shots and XG against can indicate trend, they can be useful for underpinning results medium to long term and trajectories..however I would query whether this has improved either.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

12 minutes ago, spudski said:

Of course he wants the best for our club...he's hardly going to want the opposite. 

Wanting the best for our Club doesn't mean he's the right man for the role of Technical Director.

We have an owner, JL and Gavin Marshall. None of em know **** all about managing or coaching a football team...so they will have to take all their info from BT. 

What experience does BT have at making the right decisions for the first team? Academy and loan progressions yes...but not the first team. He failed massively as a manager...and simply doesn't warrant his position to basically make and inform ( in his opinion ) what is best for our first team. He is the only one in that position to do so. 

Add that he is hopeless when speaking to the media and public, as is JL...then it's a poor appointment. 

Gavin Marshall as CFO is spread thinner by the year. He works on Bristol Sport, HPC, Woman's Rugby, Bristol Bears, both Academy's, Bristol City Holdings, Aston Gate Ltd and the Flyers...it's a crazy situation. 

The owner, JL, BT and the poor CFO.

It really is a crazy situation...backed up with a coach learning on the job and a bunch of analysts out of Uni. 🙈🙈🙈🤷

You may be right about not being the right man for the job - not going to argue that.

But my point was, direct the negativity to JL - he hired him after all.

4 minutes ago, Riaz said:

You may be right about not being the right man for the job - not going to argue that.

But my point was, direct the negativity to JL - he hired him after all.

Most realise that...however, since coming in, BT has said some weird shit that hasn't helped his cause. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

.   we look more solid defensively We've conceded more goals since he came in.

.  we can put runs of wins together We can also put longer winless runs together.

.  we are able to beat sides near the top of the league when at our best (which we couldn't before) We have an abysmal record against sides at the bottom end of the league (which we didn't before).

Missed a few things. I hope Liam turns it round but facts are facts and, actually, judging him on the facts because they are so poor at present SHOULD make it easier to confirm that he has made some positive changes in due course if and when he manages to do that.

My main concern this season is that he reverses the last point and gets a minimum of 6 points from Huddersfield, Blackburn and Rotherham. I'm sure that will trigger a particular poster but never mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crimson Crayola said:

Good points but I'd suggest Tinnion had a lot more to gain from PA leaving than Pearson, but no-one gets in a hump about that. 

I'm certain Tinnion is not 100% blameless in Nigels departure (he could of, and probably didn't fight Nigel's corner) but any suggestions that this doesn't land mostly at the Landsdown's feet are wildly underestimating their insecurity issues. And so any speculation that he's a snake I find a little undeserving.

I think you’ll find they do!  There are constantly threads mentioning the dilution of the CEO role.  Tins isn’t responsible for large parts of what PA did, in fact bar dealing with agents, clubs and players on transfer dealings, I can’t think of anything that PA did that Tins covers now.

Those bits sit now under Gavin Marshall and Tom Rawcliffe, with some group support from Bristol Sport, e.g. Commercial stuff.

Again, too many people are trying to blend lots of issues into one big issue…and then push it up the hierarchy.

At a really simple level, my view is:

• Manning is responsible for taking the football backwards (maybe he’ll navigate us back on course?)
  • Tinnion is responsible for recommending Manning
  • Jon is responsible for sacking Pearson, but will very likely have been taking input from Tins and others
  • Jon is responsible for sacking Rennie, Euell and Fleming, but will very likely have taken input from Tins and others
  • Steve is responsible for everything above Manning imho.
  • Like 10

I think Tins also takes a lot of the flack and anger from fans as he’s the only staff member above LM thats visible. 

JL last talked about city in what october? Pretty sure Gavin had an interview around then as well. Steve? cant for the life of me remember the last time he talked about city through city channels. 

Brian’s there, he’s on SOTC he’s at games so people finally have a person to share their concerns or more likely shout their abuse at. 

Similar to the start of the season when all the frustrations over the lack of investment post scott sale were aimed at Pearson, who quite rightly replied “why the hell are you asking me?”. 

15 minutes ago, George Rs said:

I think Tins also takes a lot of the flack and anger from fans as he’s the only staff member above LM thats visible. 

JL last talked about city in what october? Pretty sure Gavin had an interview around then as well. Steve? cant for the life of me remember the last time he talked about city through city channels. 

Brian’s there, he’s on SOTC he’s at games so people finally have a person to share their concerns or more likely shout their abuse at. 

Similar to the start of the season when all the frustrations over the lack of investment post scott sale were aimed at Pearson, who quite rightly replied “why the hell are you asking me?”. 

Steve was pre game interview with Geoff Twentyman. 

Before the Burnley game April 2023. Other than that the somewhat rambling aside to BBC Guernsey about the Scott fee, nest eggs  Luton etc but that was s small part of his overall piece which wasn't City related or aimed at us anyway.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Steve was pre game interview with Geoff Twentyman. 

Before the Burnley game April 2023. Other than that the somewhat rambling aside to BBC Guernsey about the Scott fee, nest eggs  Luton etc but that was s small part of his overall piece which wasn't City related or aimed at us anyway.

You’d think after the year we’ve had, most liked manager in almost a decade sacked, underperforming replacement, academy in youth cup SF, good first team cup run, 10 points behind season objective (according to JL) and 30m in the bank with barely any spent he’d of made some sort of communication. 

It really is laughable at this point. 

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, George Rs said:

You’d think after the year we’ve had, most liked manager in almost a decade sacked, underperforming replacement, academy in youth cup SF, good first team cup run, 10 points behind season objective (according to JL) and 30m in the bank with barely any spent he’d of made some sort of communication. 

It really is laughable at this point. 

He always or did for a number of years, did an interview with Geoff before first Home game of the season and the last.

Round-up, review, updates..communication basically.

This year oddly pre the Preston game there was none.

There is a vacuum for sure.

• Admin
3 hours ago, George Rs said:

Why was Pearson the only one who dealt with the Press before his departure? Because everyone else was thought to be wet-behind-the-ears and poor communicators was the theory.

Now Pearson has gone and we have appointed in his place a Head Coach who also lacks in communication, Tins has taken it upon himself to prove the theories correct.

In my opinion, at least one of Tinnion/Manning/Jon needs to go and be replaced by someone experienced, competent and confident. Preferably two of. If not all three.

• Like 7