IGNORED

It’s simple. Manning out.

36 minutes ago, awbb said:

Regarding Culture.

For me, Pearson altered the way our players thought and acted on the pitch.

After several years under LJ who was tactically obsessive where he appeared to coach that every phase in a match should trigger a specific action or reaction from each player in the team.

This caused issues in that, due to that and other coaching factors, the players seemed to lose the ability to take responsibility for themselves and their team mates on the pitch and as seeing now, players became scared of making mistakes and ironically made more of them because of it. 

Pearson changed this. He wanted our players to ‘all be leaders’ as the cliche says and made attempts to empower them to do that his focus was on general responsibility (rather than tactical responsibilities).

This was coupled with his desire to sort out the playing squad where there were a several players with attitudes that did not meet his standard (commonly accepted: Bakinson generally, Watkins not fancying training and Wells needing to remind himself how to be a good squad member are examples). This drove professionalism and team ethics. Lastly he made it clear that the disparity in wages was a hinderance to team dynamics and needed to be resolved.

Pearson also made the point that the whole club needed to be united and made more attempts to link the women’s team to the men’s.

The last time a manger changed our culture so drastically, he’d just taken over the mess left by our, now, Technical Director. Make of that what you will.

Manning is similar to Lee Johnson only his fixation is process as opposed to tactics. Ultimately the outcome, at this point, is the same.

It’s a legitimate argument to say that Pearson had achieved his remit and was therefore disposable, but his successor should have been far more attuned to the way our players had been coached to think and act. 

Excellent post and said much better than me.

• Like 2

What follows is not about anything other than what I feel is in the best interests of Bristol City Football Club.  Having supported my team for 60+ years I’m not about to waste any energy on blaming, finger-pointing or bad mouthing anybody.

I acknowledge and respect that as the major shareholder and the individual who has invested millions in our club, Mr. Lansdown is the key decision-maker. In reality the views of us fans count for very little, nevertheless this is a fans forum, so here goes.

On the evidence of the last 27 games LM is not the person to take Bristol City forward. Having watched each of these games I have seen a team and individuals regress and observed a very rigid and repetitive approach from the Head Coach, in terms of his in-game management, general demeanor and public statements.

When he was appointed, I was prepared to give him until the end of the season in the hope that he was the man to take us forward. I have now changed my mind.

I see absolutely no benefit in retaining his services. In fact, I would hope the hierarchy are seriously considering relieving him of his duties in this international break.

There would, in my opinion, be a few real positives if they did so.

• they would regain some respect from the fan base, many of whom were disaffected by the sacking of Pearson
  • a new manager or Head Coach would have the rest of this season to assess the squad and plan for the future. Although the hierarchy clearly stated that we had a squad capable of competing at the top end of the Championship at the time of Manning’s appointment, that is not what has happened
  • With eight games to go, we effectively have nothing to play for this season, however, the next eight games could be vitally important in terms of informing our approach to next season. I would certainly hope that is with somebody new at the helm.

Had we not sneaked a narrow win against Swansea City (with another poor home performance) the pressure on LM would be even greater.

Now is the time to act.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

What follows is not about anything other than what I feel is in the best interests of Bristol City Football Club.  Having supported my team for 60+ years I’m not about to waste any energy on blaming, finger-pointing or bad mouthing anybody.

I acknowledge and respect that as the major shareholder and the individual who has invested millions in our club, Mr. Lansdown is the key decision-maker. In reality the views of us fans count for very little, nevertheless this is a fans forum, so here goes.

On the evidence of the last 27 games LM is not the person to take Bristol City forward. Having watched each of these games I have seen a team and individuals regress and observed a very rigid and repetitive approach from the Head Coach, in terms of his in-game management, general demeanor and public statements.

When he was appointed, I was prepared to give him until the end of the season in the hope that he was the man to take us forward. I have now changed my mind.

I see absolutely no benefit in retaining his services. In fact, I would hope the hierarchy are seriously considering relieving him of his duties in this international break.

There would, in my opinion, be a few real positives if they did so.

• they would regain some respect from the fan base, many of whom were disaffected by the sacking of Pearson
  • a new manager or Head Coach would have the rest of this season to assess the squad and plan for the future. Although the hierarchy clearly stated that we had a squad capable of competing at the top end of the Championship at the time of Manning’s appointment, that is not what has happened
  • With eight games to go, we effectively have nothing to play for this season, however, the next eight games could be vitally important in terms of informing our approach to next season. I would certainly hope that is with somebody new at the helm.

Had we not sneaked a narrow win against Swansea City (with another poor home performance) the pressure on LM would be even greater.

Now is the time to act.

I completely agree with all of your comments. If he is still here at New Year 2025, we will be absolute certainties for relegation.

If he is still here on the last day for us to renew our Season Tickets, I will not renew as I feel the current situation could damage us much more than 1982.

@Jerseybean

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, awbb said:

Regarding Culture.

For me, Pearson altered the way our players thought and acted on the pitch.

After several years under LJ who was tactically obsessive where he appeared to coach that every phase in a match should trigger a specific action or reaction from each player in the team.

This caused issues in that, due to that and other coaching factors, the players seemed to lose the ability to take responsibility for themselves and their team mates on the pitch and as seeing now, players became scared of making mistakes and ironically made more of them because of it. 

Pearson changed this. He wanted our players to ‘all be leaders’ as the cliche says and made attempts to empower them to do that his focus was on general responsibility (rather than tactical responsibilities).

This was coupled with his desire to sort out the playing squad where there were a several players with attitudes that did not meet his standard (commonly accepted: Bakinson generally, Watkins not fancying training and Wells needing to remind himself how to be a good squad member are examples). This drove professionalism and team ethics. Lastly he made it clear that the disparity in wages was a hinderance to team dynamics and needed to be resolved.

Pearson also made the point that the whole club needed to be united and made more attempts to link the women’s team to the men’s.

The last time a manger changed our culture so drastically, he’d just taken over the mess left by our, now, Technical Director. Make of that what you will.

Manning is similar to Lee Johnson only his fixation is process as opposed to tactics. Ultimately the outcome, at this point, is the same.

It’s a legitimate argument to say that Pearson had achieved his remit and was therefore disposable, but his successor should have been far more attuned to the way our players had been coached to think and act. 

Wonderful post to read.

pic of Kelsey Grammer and AWBB (Alan Walsh B…. B….)…what are the B’s?

53 minutes ago, S_C said:

Exactly this.

As harsh as it sounds, Manning needs to succeed or be allowed to fail to facilitate significant change.

Great, let’s get a new fall guy in. Maybe he’ll win a few games and the mood can shift from ‘significant change is needed’ to ‘still think there’s room to improve operations’. Anyone who thinks that wouldn’t happen, that they’ll be celebrating wins but still have the same adamancy that the hierarchy is busted, is utterly naive.

Everyone wants the club to be successful. If Manning is replaced and we’re suddenly PL bound terrific, happy to admit I was wrong and the current setup was capable of achieving the words they freely throw around. But with BT/JL at the helm we’ll only appoint Manning clones, and just continually paper the cracks with fans declaring they either like or dislike the current coach as a first point of reference.

SL genuinely baffles me. He clearly wants to move on but trusts his investment with people who are detriment to the product. Do we think, in any reality, that a buyer is found and they retain the services of BT with his current influence. Some of the criticism is a bit much, I don’t doubt he has what he considers the best interests of the club at heart and, broadly, respect his long-service, but the 30 year stuff as an argument for competency summed up the situation. I can’t rationalise out of it. It’s mind boggling. Shit hit the fan so we SOS’d a genuine outsider in Pearson who didn’t fit the mould. We kept him long enough to remedy the situation then reset to a point with echoes of where it started going wrong.

Hi Nigel, we’ve made some bad decisions here and are up shit creek, can you come in and sort this out?

Hi Nigel, thanks for sorting that out for us, you’re not needed anymore, we’re going to go the young coach route again and chuck money at it once more. We’ll keep you on speed dial..

Make it make sense.

Like with Kid’s post I disagree (not saying I’m right, just it’s exactly the opposite to what I’d do).  You can’t waste time with Manning imho.

The head-coach / manager can galvanise the club.

SL and JL ain’t going nowhere, mistakes or not…nobody wants to buy us at a stupidly unrealistic price, so you have to accept they are still in situ.

So, you don’t let the current head-coach drag you further down in the vain hope that “time heals it”.  You go with someone “better” now, because it can’t be worse.  You might strike lucky.  It’s no worse a gamble that cintinu8ng faith with Manning.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, rednotblue said:

It isn't simple though.

Manning being sacked calls in to question BT and JL management/decision making.

It doesn’t really . They haven’t made a good footballing decision in **** knows how many years. The lansdowns appointment of tinnion as technical director is an admission they know nothing about football plus he won’t question them . Also he’s also the patsy . It all goes wrong , tinnion goes 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BCFC31 said:

Let's be honest here aswell our squad is dreadful. Players like Williams, King, mehmeti, cornick, Wells, Bell, hickman, tanner, the rusty legs of matty james mabude? Bajic ?  Conway whats he scored in the leauge 3 goals ? Players like Atkinson and naismith who are made from paper mache The names of the utter dross in my opinion is endless there Is a real lack of investment in the playing side of the club and the recruitment is abysmal which is ridiculously headed up by Brian tinion 😭 we have 0 quality or ability to play football. Yes manning has had a nightmare and is clearly out of his depth  but he is only one part of the wider problem at this shoddy football club that we all love.

Not entirely remember we beat Southampton aswell . Conway isn't a center forward he's a striker . Play him up top with Wells and he will put them away . Totally agree that problems exist beyond manning tho .

3 hours ago, BCFC31 said:

Edited by yipikiaye33

3 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

No polls. No hoping for the best.  

He’s either hopelessly out of his depth or he’s just not cut out to be a football manager at this level. 

It’s so depressing. Manning has destroyed all the good work from NP, or should I add Manning and Tinnion, approved by the Lansdown’s. Club is broken from a fan relation perspective, next season is going to be rough and I give him to October where a Millen type sacking will occur. However he should be sacked now, he isn’t good enough for this club and is tactically clueless, I honestly would sooner have Dean Holden or SOD back, it is THAT BAD! 

4 hours ago, red panda said:

Have to agree.  Was really hoping he could turn the corner (in the right direction), and think appointing up and coming young managers is definitely worth a try.  But it just hasn't worked and we should cut our losses and get someone new in for the summer.

With our ****wit hierarchy, it most certainly isn't. 

Besides, we have already tried it.

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Symptom of the problem, not the main problem.

Lansdowns & Tinnion are far bigger problems.

If they sell up no one in their right mind employs an illiterate Geordie in the position he currently occupies at any football league club.

I’m not impressed by him but in my wish list he’d be third in line to leave.

⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️

👏👏👏👏👏

And Manning fourth.

(But defacto first, because it's the only likely one any time soon).

Edit: Actually it's not. 

****wits.

Edited by Superjack
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Of course he must go.  Sadly none of us, or the players, will have a vote.

I am beginning to come to the view he is the worst manager in my over 70 years of being a City fan

We had Sean O' Driscoll. A man who's football and tactics were so beyond awful and clueless. Not to mention one of the most boring people I've ever listened to in my life and had the charisma of a plank of wood. 

And he also said we might have needed to drop into league two before we got out of league one. 

7 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

We had Sean O' Driscoll. A man who's football and tactics were so beyond awful and clueless. Not to mention one of the most boring people I've ever listened to in my life and had the charisma of a plank of wood. 

And he also said we might have needed to drop into league two before we got out of league one. 

O'Driscoll is a weird one because on paper his Track Record elsewhere was okay. His Doncaster side were lauded for high calibre football for a time, including at Championship level.

Yet he just lacked here. I dunno technical qualities and reasonable experience or not too old aside, he was supine..We needed a Personality like Cotts and we got him but for certain attributes O'Driscoll had he was never going to take it by the scruff of the neck, stop the rot and get things going again.

Look at who he has to play.

Out with Conway, bell, cornick, wells, and mehmeti. Pretty much all our forwards and Get better replacements.

Midfield could use some upgrading but not the large overhaul I would out king,  williams , TGH and szmodics ??? 

The defense is ok for now especially with big Rob coming back we also have some decent cover.

Would love to see someone challenge Max. Perhaps play out the season.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, BCFC31 said:

Let's be honest here aswell our squad is dreadful. Players like Williams, King, mehmeti, cornick, Wells, Bell, hickman, tanner, the rusty legs of matty james mabude? Bajic ?  Conway whats he scored in the leauge 3 goals ? Players like Atkinson and naismith who are made from paper mache The names of the utter dross in my opinion is endless there Is a real lack of investment in the playing side of the club and the recruitment is abysmal which is ridiculously headed up by Brian tinion 😭 we have 0 quality or ability to play football. Yes manning has had a nightmare and is clearly out of his depth  but he is only one part of the wider problem at this shoddy football club that we all love.

Same players who have played blinding games for us. Are they an incredible squad? No, maybe not, but if the players aren't producing their best then ask yourself why. 

The answer is the same players were performing way better under Pearson, Conway looked Premier League quality at times as an example and the simple reason is that Pearson played our players in the way that suited them. The reason the players look so poor atm is because they're not being allowed to play to their potential, they're being restricted by rigid instructions from Manning that doesn't allow them to play to their best abilities. 

Get in a manager who can identify a players best qualities and adapt the team to fit them and you'll see a vast improvement. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

So whats everyone going to do then?

Turn up every week, get excited by the odd win in three?

Clap politely and be thankful for a really nice ground and a pleasant day out?

Buy into our youngsters that are pushed on us like they are actually Championship ready?

Laugh at some childish social media content?

As a fanbase we are so tepid and passive its untrue.

Its why these clowns are still in post and can afford to make these stupid decisions like the clubs core does not matter.

We are part of the problem.

Absolutely true. Woke club. Woke fans. Happy clapping our way to league 1.

I've made my decision now not to be part of the problem. No season ticket until they all go (Lansdown X2, Downsey, Tinnion & Manning).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 4

7 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

So whats everyone going to do then?

Turn up every week, get excited by the odd win in three?

Clap politely and be thankful for a really nice ground and a pleasant day out?

Buy into our youngsters that are pushed on us like they are actually Championship ready?

Laugh at some childish social media content?

As a fanbase we are so tepid and passive its untrue.

Its why these clowns are still in post and can afford to make these stupid decisions like the clubs core does not matter.

We are part of the problem.

👏👏👏👏👏

Spot on!

I have withdrawn my financial support for this club as long as the Lansdowns are in position. 

But I am seriously starting to wonder if I even want to be part of this complicit fan base any more 

• Like 2

Sadly Manning is everything that I don’t want my football club to be. Soul less, lacking in passion and sleep inducing. 60 years of supporting with the occasional highs and short periods of success and yet always enough to sustain my passion. Many have said, me included, that with Bristol City it’s the hope that kills you. In truth it really isn’t. It’s the hope that keeps you going and no matter how many times the hopes are crushed our love of our team remains to keep those flickering flames of hope alive. 

More enduring than most of our other interests as we age and more enduring than most marriages and friendships for many of us it is our most enduring love. In our later years that love may lack passion for long periods but then along comes a win over Manchester United or a Steve Cotterill season like a dusty pack of viagra to give life meaning once again and remind us how wonderful life can be.

So there we were, after years of abstinence along came Nige rousing that fading passion in us only to be snatched away and replaced by Liam. It’s like being sold a cheap packet of knock-off viagra by Delboy. Ah well the moment has passed now. We can only hope Liam goes with it before the advance sales period for season tickets has gone.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Sadly Manning is everything that I don’t want my football club to be. Soul less, lacking in passion and sleep inducing. 60 years of supporting with the occasional highs and short periods of success and yet always enough to sustain my passion. Many have said, me included, that with Bristol City it’s the hope that kills you. In truth it really isn’t. It’s the hope that keeps you going and no matter how many times the hopes are crushed our love of our team remains to keep those flickering flames of hope alive. 

More enduring than most of our other interests as we age and more enduring than most marriages and friendships for many of us it is our most enduring love. In our later years that love may lack passion for long periods but then along comes a win over Manchester United or a Steve Cotterill season like a dusty pack of viagra to give life meaning once again and remind us how wonderful life can be.

So there we were, after years of abstinence along came Nige rousing that fading passion in us only to be snatched away and replaced by Liam. It’s like being sold a cheap packet of knock-off viagra by Delboy. Ah well the moment has passed now. We can only hope Liam goes with it before the advance sales period for season tickets has gone.

Sold some Viagra, only to find out that it's mogadon.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

The bed wetters need to calm down imo. Was always going to take time to transition from a counter attacking team to one that has control so it's not really a surprise we've had a downturn. Manning has had next to no time on the grass to implement his coaching so has prioritised out of possession work which has largely been good. 

let's give him a pre season and a transfer window to try and get a few players that can handle the ball then see what he can do-if we haven't shown a tangible improvement by October then I agree he would need to go.

Stick some new sheets on and calm down!

Ironic username?

Edited by Bernard Lerring
Duplication
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

But even more so if they don't sack him.

The longer they leave it the worse it gets for them, us and the club.

It would actually be in their favour to hold their hands up, humbly admit it hasn't worked, and give a new man time to set up his squad for next season.

With the 2 week break no better time to do the deed than tonight imo.

Might make at least a few of 4-5k STH's rethink about deserting the club too.

Given what they preached about Pearsons failings as the reasons for getting rid of him. That is then called in to question as well as appointing Manning.

Hence comments like learning on the job

11 hours ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

The bed wetters need to calm down imo. Was always going to take time to transition from a counter attacking team to one that has control so it's not really a surprise we've had a downturn. Manning has had next to no time on the grass to implement his coaching so has prioritised out of possession work which has largely been good. 

let's give him a pre season and a transfer window to try and get a few players that can handle the ball then see what he can do-if we haven't shown a tangible improvement by October then I agree he would need to go.

Stick some new sheets on and calm down!

The audacity of using “On the grass!” as part of this drivel. I really hope it was on purpose as banter because that would be fantastic 😂

10 hours ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

Come on Rooney didn't get any good results-manning has had loads! The only similarity with Rooney is that the fans didnt give him a chance because they don't want the previous manager sacked!

38 minutes ago, Talk Of The Town said:

What is his league record now since starting at the club?

It must be excellent, because as you can see from the above quote Manning has had “loads” of good results…