IGNORED

Steve Cotterill [Merged + Poll]

KeepUpLino

452 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What i don't get is that SOD was brought into help out a failing Cotterill side and now it appears that we've done the reverse.Still our board of distructors know best.

And Redknapp brought in Cotterill to help him a year after being favourite for the England job....

Many of those still fixated with SOD will no doubt we hanging around outside his house waving placards or something similarly tragic.

Reading otib over the past few days, I don't see that there's much of a co-relation between those who wanted SOD to stay and those who don't fancy Cotterill.

Equally, several most vocal in wanting SOD out are no keener on Cotterill.

Personally, I think sacking SOD was a massive mistake, I'm underwhelmed by the prospect of Cotterill, but like you I will welcome him to the club and hope he does well.

Having a read through his career it seems like he did really well at Cheltenham. Did well at Burnley considering lack of funds and kept selling their best players. Did well at Notts County (77 percent win ratio). Did rubbish at Portsmouth although difficult circumstances to be fair. Did rubbish at Forrest.

To be honest I'm not overly keen on him but will definitely give him a chance as any new manager deserves. If he keeps us up I will be more than happy with him.

Exactly - and I think even Portsmouth fans were reasonably happy with him in the circumstances.  Cotterill is an unexciting, unspectacular and unambitious appointment but he's experienced and his record isn't terrible.  He doesn't excite me, he wouldn't be my first choice and I can't imagine the football will be much like watching Brazil but I'll back him and reckon he can keep us up this season.  In the circumstances, I think we'd have to take that.

I won't be jumping around with a smile on my face.. There again I won't be booing... I support the club, if the manager aids us then he will win my support over time... If he doesn't then it will be adios...

So feel pretty flat about his appointment (if true).

• Admin

Can't say I'm exactly excited by the news, infanct probably the least excited I have been about an appointment since I started watching city (which was under Wilson) but if he is to be city manager then I'll support him non the less and hope he does well. Anyone who wishes him to do badly just because he is appointed instead of someone else should have a word with themselves really.

Agree with this, certainly not the name that is going to give us fans a massive lift with his appointment.

Only time will tell how good an appointment it is.

I guess at least our Chairman has actually visibily appeared to do something for a change, but maybe with all the Forest connections on board with us already this was the easiest solution that would cause the least disruption??

Yes, I wondered why so many were getting their knickers in a twist so I looked-up his record, read some stuff, looked at some of his interviews and I can't see the problem, looks like he's done well, seems a decent bloke and has energy for the game. Every manager has flops (GJ included) and he seems to have done well.

People who ask 'If Cotterill, what about the 5 pillars' etc. have, imo, completely misunderstood the strategy.

What strategy? Other than blind panic, of course...

And IMO every CITY fan should feel/do the same

Its only going to hurt us further to get on a new managers back from the get go, even if you think its a bad appoitment

Cheers

Mark

You mean like how we backed or past managers of we didn't agree they were the right man? Our fans stick together like marble and water...

With regards to this, I had more faith in Millen, McInnes and O'Driscoll than I do Cotterill and looking at his CV and reports of the football he produces I see little reason to go down the gate any time soon.

The board needed an appointment with good experience, some passion to inspire the fans to back him and a record of wanting to play good football, they have failed on every account and so it won't be a surprise if the fans don't back him, I for one am less than excited to say the least.

Sometimes even managers with the best CVs in the world go to a club and it just doesn't work out for them. Other times managers with average CVs do well at a club just look at Slade and Leyton Orient.

At the end of the day no one knows how's he is going to do let's just give him a bit of time get behind the lads and hope he can do a good job here.

Long term?

In the last 4 years Cotterill has managed 3 teams and been part of the coaching team at QPR.

He has managed at Notts County, Portsmouth and Nottingham Forest an average of 38 game tenure.

In addition to this he instantly resigned from Stoke when offered a lucrative chance as Sunderland's assistant.

Doesn't seem the most committed person to any cause.

Mr J Lansdown explained he wanted someone to buy into the club after Sean O'Driscoll left.

One of our pillars, which I have no problem with infact I think it's good to have goals, is Financial Control.

In terms of managers that means to have one for the long term and one that is successful so we don't have to fire them and more importantly pay them compensation come this part of the season.

Doesn't seem the correct fit, need someone exciting at this club that will lift fans morale as well as player morale and more importantly fire us up the table.

News flash;

OTIB goes into meltdown because a few fans full of their own self importance don't like the choice of new manager.

Get over it and back whoever it is.

you post this like it's a new thing, the problem is I think a lot of fans don't expect the next manager to last for more than a year and so there is no real connection. I thought So was going to be the man we stick with but now I've just lost faith in our board as they've shown no backbone and sacked the man responsible for the majority of our new staff but still want to keep said staff!? It's a shambles and how can the fans be expected to back a man they deep down expect to be gone next year. The board are responsible for such volatile fans, they make mistake after mistake after mistake which causes the fans to become restless and disillusioned and then when they got Sod in and let him finally start a rebuild everyone has been crying out for they sack him before he's anywhere through it. If we had been relegated under SOD to league 2 I could have accepted it a lot easier but now relegation looks all the more likely with an uninspiring manager coming in to carry on SODs work with SODs staff, no money to spend and our star player obviously unhappy that the manager he signed to play under has gone.

Explain to me how Cotterill is going to be a better option for taking us forward because I just can't see it and if you think that means I have some form of self importance then so be it but as a fan of this club I want what's best for it and I don't see it in Cotterill, I just hope he can prove me wrong.

Can we not see the rest? (Lady Q is out at the Conservative ladies coffee morning...)

Sadly not, I've looked high and low but to no avail. The scratch and sniff version was what I was really after.

You'll just have to make do with some of the other furry axe wounds that frequent this board!

Oh dear I hope this news isn't true. It's about as inspiring as waking up to find yourself being noshed off by Susan Boyle.

A few of us oldies would n't object (you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're stoking the fire) to that ,especially If it was followed by a Nice cuppa.

On reflection forget the BJ just bring me a nice cuppa .

Or perhaps more PC

Any love is good love .

Archived