IGNORED

Steve Cotterill [Merged + Poll]

KeepUpLino

452 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have no particular desire to see Cotterill as manager ....but if you examine his managerial career and take the average amount of points he's taken from the games he's managed he has taken 51.1% of the points available :

243 wins

187 draws

out of 597 games

so i'd be happy if he got 51.1% out of a 46 match season - because thats 70 points

I'd settle for that tbh

I have no particular desire to see Cotterill as manager ....but if you examine his managerial career and take the average amount of points he's taken from the games he's managed he has taken 51.1% of the points available :

243 wins

187 draws

out of 597 games

so i'd be happy if he got 51.1% out of a 46 match season - because thats 70 points

I'd settle for that tbh

What makes me think that these people who produce reams of statistics don't watch the football?

Singular managers for the long term, is something that is no longer a part of the system for us and many other clubs here or abroad. It's no longer about a one man dynasty, it's about getting the best staff into do whatever job is required of them. If they do that then fine, if they dont do that then they are replaced by some one who potentially can

Inter Milan for example are on their 5th manager/coach since Benitez was in charge in Dec 2010 they've finished 2nd 6th and 9th before as funds diminished and will see how they do after this new take over sorts itself out. They are currently 4th in the league

Couldn't agree less.

Unless you are a super club with massive funds at your disposal (ie man city, real madrid etc) then you can't possibly hope to bring stability and long term growth to a club by chopping and changing managers everytime things get tough.

Really? Why do you think that? Why do massive funds mean that this is suddenly possible over what we are currently doing now? Same principles in essence, so why does cash mean it works or it doesnt?

Because it's a lot easier at a club with big cash who can attract big players for a manager to be successful in a short stint.

Hence being able to cite examples of a club which chops and changes manager a lot and is still very successful ie Chelsea, Man C, Madrid

How many non world class teams can you name who have enjoyed big success whilst going through 7/8 managers every 3-4 years?

Not a dig at you by the way, just can't think of many teams of our stature who have got success whilst going through managers at a rate of knots.

News flash;

OTIB goes into meltdown because a few fans full of their own self importance don't like the choice of new manager.

Get over it and back whoever it is.

Interesting comments.....

And obviously you hold yourself in higher esteem..?

Does not every fan have the right to be concerned or even voice an opinion on a forum..?

I will back whoever the Manager is, but when anyone feels that a pending appointment is a concern then we have the right to question.

The club I am sure will address many concerns when the appointment is made.

If it is to be SC then are you not in the slightest concerned that we will be appointing someone who at Florist asked SOD to support him.. And here we are doing the exactly the same thing in reverse.....

Long term?

In the last 4 years Cotterill has managed 3 teams and been part of the coaching team at QPR.

He has managed at Notts County, Portsmouth and Nottingham Forest an average of 38 game tenure.

In addition to this he instantly resigned from Stoke when offered a lucrative chance as Sunderland's assistant.

Doesn't seem the most committed person to any cause.

Mr J Lansdown explained he wanted someone to buy into the club after Sean O'Driscoll left.

One of our pillars, which I have no problem with infact I think it's good to have goals, is Financial Control.

In terms of managers that means to have one for the long term and one that is successful so we don't have to fire them and more importantly pay them compensation come this part of the season.

Doesn't seem the correct fit, need someone exciting at this club that will lift fans morale as well as player morale and more importantly fire us up the table.

I'm sure that was exactly what they had in mind with SO'D - they weren't to know he'd be so awful.

We needed to replace him and Cotterill, if appointed, may or may not turn out to be the right fit.

You appoint who you feel is the best man for the job but there is always the chance with anyone that they fail to live up to expectations.

As SO'D so amply proved with his disastrous tenure.

No manager these days is going to stay long term that's the past now.

What's best long term for bristol city is staying in this league and not getting relegated.

If Cotterill keeps us up he has done a good job. If he can push on from that and get us promoted he will have done an excellent job.

Look at Southampton, Swansea and Norwich all been where we are appointed someone (in Swanseas case a number of managers) to sort it out and kicked on from there and have ended up in the premiership and all of whom no longer have the man they appointed back then but are in a much better positions.

I doubt we will get to where we want to be with one manager. If he doesn't get there he will be sacked or if he is doing well he's likely to get poached from someone else.

I wanted McInnes. He was shit.

I wanted SOD. He was shit.

I don't want Cotterill...

This ..... well I did want McInnes ... I did want SOD.

I don't have strong feeling on Cotterill .... I wouldn't say I want him

But then if you pushed me  .... I couldn't give you the name of a manager I do want ....

So Cotterill would be OK in so much as : 

- He is not from the blue side

- He might be the shot in the arm the team needs to start collecting points.

As I do not run the club and I was all for previous (less successful) managers.  I will wait and see what unfolds.

Who knows, maybe the high turnover of managers is a good thing?   With so much practise at interviewing managers.  Maybe the board will get it right this time?  :o)

Singular managers for the long term, is something that is no longer a part of the system for us and many other clubs here or abroad. It's no longer about a one man dynasty, it's about getting the best staff into do whatever job is requiredi of them. If they do that then fine, if they dont do that then they are replaced by some one who potentially can

Inter Milan for example are on their 5th manager/coach since Benitez was in charge in Dec 2010 they've finished 2nd 6th and 9th before as funds diminished and will see how they do after this new take over sorts itself out. They are currently 4th in the league

I'm not sure that Using Inter as an example makes your point. Quite the opposite! 2004 to 2010 they had just two managers, and they won the league 5 years in a row! It's only since they started chopping and changing managers that they've been finishing lower!

Sometimes even managers with the best CVs in the world go to a club and it just doesn't work out for them. Other times managers with average CVs do well at a club just look at Slade and Leyton Orient.

At the end of the day no one knows how's he is going to do let's just give him a bit of time get behind the lads and hope he can do a good job here.

couldn't agree more. Look no further than the current England manager, didn't work out for him at Liverpool but was great at Fulham and West Brom.

11 yes,s 143 no,s

Like it or not City board that is a rather convincing "up yours" shout

Maybe, but those 143 would probably be split between half a dozen other candidates between them.

If it's not to be Warnock or Holloway, who would be your choice Arn?

I'm not sure that Using Inter as an example makes your point. Quite the opposite! 2004 to 2010 they had just two managers, and they won the league 5 years in a row! It's only since they started chopping and changing managers that they've been finishing lower!

isn't that more to do with tha massive match fixing scandles and juventus being thrown out of the league during that period?

Sadly not, I've looked high and low but to no avail. The scratch and sniff version was what I was really after.

You'll just have to make do with some of the other furry axe wounds that frequent this board!

You've completely lost me there, riley. Some more of your rough-house, B Block, working man's talk there. It's too late, anyhow; the Lady's back...

Sadly not, I've looked high and low but to no avail. The scratch and sniff version was what I was really after.

You'll just have to make do with some of the other furry axe wounds that frequent this board!

Oh, and we're all in this together, remember. No one opinion is any more valid or relevant than mine. Together, and united. Thank Q

Juventus - that helped. But wrong to imply that Inter won those titles because of match fixing, and even without Juve it's still a pretty consistent and successful record.

Can't say I'm a expert on italian football so was just asking the question, Milan always have had a decent team

Cotterill now 2/1 favourite to be Sheffield Wednesday manager. Not sure its signed sealed delivered yet! Or am I clutching straws?!

Read that Cotterill was told "job was his" at Sheffield Weds before Jones went a few weeks back... I hope so!

Price shooting down for him too at Sheffield Weds.. You would assume he'd choose them over us.. (I hope)

Archived