IGNORED

General Election 2015 Match Day Thread (Merged)

Moloch

Depends how much money you have Badge.

Aussie here has said he has lots, lives in a posh area and never uses the NHS (and presumably never will).

Under those circumstances, I concede that if you don't give a stuff about anything else, you may not be a turkey voting for Christmas.

For those of us in the 40% or 20% tax bands, voting Conservative is a vote for austerity for us, prosperity for them.

I don't have lots of money at all.

I don't know about the whole posh thing. I don't really label people as posh or not. My dad comes from a council estate in Kingswood. I'm hardly from royalty.

I don't have lots of money at all.

I don't know about the whole posh thing. I don't really label people as posh or not. My dad comes from a council estate in Kingswood. I'm hardly from royalty.

I'm not suggesting that you wear a crown and ermine robes, A, but if you are in the 45% tax rate you are in the top 1.6% of earners, and Henley is one of Britain's most affluent communities.

Be thankful for what you've got, but recognise that it is more than most.

So to address your economic points:

Jobs - an increase, but many are part-time or zero hours jobs. It's a wool-over-the-eyes job from the Tories here. The average wage of new jobs is less under the Tories than it was under Labour.

Deficit has decreased because of the reduction in public spending. But the important thing is debt has massively increased. Remember all that stuff from Cameron about "Labour maxed out the national credit card". Well, the Tories have borrowed more than Labour and we now as a nation have debt amounting to 79% of GDP as opposed to 49% of GDP in 2010. Imagine if you owed someone 4/5 of your annual salary. Would you be happy?

Crime - was falling under Labour too. It's a long-term trend. Suggestions are the fall may be overstated as people now accept the police don't even bother to investigate much crime, so they don't report it.

Interest rates - have had to be low because of poor demand caused by austerity policies hitting people's spending power. Not actually government policy - they want to raise them to 2%, and of course bad news rather than good news for savers. I could add that official interest rates have only a tangential relationship to how much people pay for their mortgages.

Must say I agree with a lot of this.

Its also worth pointing out that interest rates are set by the Bank of England which is independent from the government. These are nominally set to target 2% inflation, but have also been used as a stimulus measure. Do not confuse low interest rates with a strong economy, if anything they imply the opposite. Several financial systems, including the eurozone and Japan, have negative interest rates and these places are hardly booming:

http://gu.com/p/3pp86

I just want a strong leader, who can represent the UK professionally and be a proper ambassador for British values.

I just can't see Ed Milliband being that man, imagine him coming up against Putin for example, he's too weak for me.

Think we are best sticking what we have, life isn't tough, I can afford a season ticket and live well. Selfish reasons sure but priorities start at home.

I hate these one liners. Whats your view? Why shouldn't I vote Conservatives?  

Look, everyone has a different view and take on the world.  Policies that might be an issue for you, may not be an issue for me, so nobody is an idiot, or as you put it "turkey voting for Christmas" at all, unless you're voting for UKIP. 

I don't care about food banks or people that need to use them, I really don't give a single shite.  I don't care about nursing!! Sorry, I don't care that they don't get a wage increase.  I got looked after fine a few months ago, so thats all I care about.  I feel for them, of course, but its not an issue that "I" care about.  I'm not voting for other people, I'm voting for me.  So lets be clear, the Conservatives have increased jobs, reduced crime, halved the deficit, and interest rates are the lowest since records began... Now that's what I care about....  

So am I turkey voting for Christmas? I am if that means Christmas in a household full of vegetarians

So basically you don't give a shit about anyone other than yourself? Proper Tory boy I'll give you that! All the more sad then, and I hate to break it to you, that if you don't even hit the 40% tax bracket then you are definitely NOT wealthy. I mean I can understand our dear friend 'moneybags' Aussie voting Tory but you are doing the voting equivalent of self-harming.

Can you let me know where you study politics please?

Genuinely, what on earth does that mean? Can you elaborate?

Someone with leadership qualities, who to people from the outside looking in has stature, demands respect. Someone who can hold his or her own against other world leaders. Gravitas.

Qualities you look for in a leader I guess, I don't know but out of the three main parties I think labour have the weakest leader.

Miliband seems like a chancer and has bluffed his way where he is now, I wouldn't trust him at all, plus I can't stand Labour's policies. Before Cameron took over, the country was in a complete mess financially and he's slowly brought it back.

Cameron has also reduced money for those people on benefits which is 100% right! If you're using the law and are fit to work, ******* work like the rest of us!

No to Labour!

I guess your confident you will never lose your job then!

Interesting that the latest projections show it as extremely close between Labour and The Conservatives.

For example, The Guardian show both parties on 273 seats, Yougov Nowcast shows both parties on 276 seats, Polling Observatory shows Labour on 273 to the Tories 271 and May2015 shows Conservatives on 273 with Labour having 268.

In all cases, it is expected that Ed Miliband would be PM as the SNP, PC, SDLP, Respect, the Greens Lady Hermon are "anti-Tory" and would get enough seats to give the left wing a majority.

If the opinion polls are correct the Tories may well be in trouble.

It means that Labour must be winning in England and Wales,because the Scottish vote has collapsed.

Let's hope :)

Someone with leadership qualities, who to people from the outside looking in has stature, demands respect. Someone who can hold his or her own against other world leaders. Gravitas.

Qualities you look for in a leader I guess, I don't know but out of the three main parties I think labour have the weakest leader.

And you think Cameron has that gravitas?!!!

He's a non-entity in European politics. When there were peace talks with Putin over the Ukraine, Cameron wasn't even invited. Merkel and Hollande represented the international community.

I think you've been a bit influenced by the old "bacon sandwich" propaganda machine.

Two things:

1) If you shoot a camera that takes hundreds of shots per minute at anyone eating a bacon sandwich, you will be able to select an unflattering frame.

2) We don't know how Miliband would fare in a crisis, but we do know that Cameron has failed to stand up to Putin, isn't taken seriously by the international community and is totally sidelined in such matters.

Lefties will always shout "Tories are for the rich", yet when you make the link that the conservative party also have a significantly higher proportion of educated supporters they get upset.

Actually in research published in Rupert Murdoch's Times, Greens and Lib Dem supporters have the highest IQ. SNP, Tory and Labour were all between a percentage point of each other, and Ukip last.

Not that that means anything...

I live in Bridgwater, a staunch Labour town.

14 of the 16 council seats are red.

The only town in the whole of the West Country that is run by Labour :)

But, because this constituency also covers West Somerset we always end up with a Tory MP.

This Tory MP ( Ian Liddel Grainger) is absolutely useless, even his local party officials in Minehead tried to get him de-selected.

He doesn't even hold surgeries and won't reply to emails or mail.

There is real anger around here towards him.

Does anyone on here have an MP who they don't support, but actually feels he or she does a decent job for the constituents ?

And you think Cameron has that gravitas?!!!

He's a non-entity in European politics. When there were peace talks with Putin over the Ukraine, Cameron wasn't even invited. Merkel and Hollande represented the international community.

I think you've been a bit influenced by the old "bacon sandwich" propaganda machine.

Two things:

1) If you shoot a camera that takes hundreds of shots per minute at anyone eating a bacon sandwich, you will be able to select an unflattering frame.

2) We don't know how Miliband would fare in a crisis, but we do know that Cameron has failed to stand up to Putin, isn't taken seriously by the international community and is totally sidelined in such matters.

Yeah I do think he has gravitas. You sound like you have a chip on your shoulder to be honest, and I didn't even mention bacon.

I'm no expert in politics and nor are the majority of the population is wager, so of course I'm influenced by other sources, isn't it the point of politicians to influence the public.

Milliband has done nothing to influence me he's the right man to lead but he may well be the best thing since sliced bread.

But what I hate is when you have an opinion on something you get shot down by know alls like you who think they know everything ... So aggressive. You sound like a fan-girl for one direction who wets her knickers as soon as her favourites get a bit of criticism.

Yeah I do think he has gravitas. You sound like you have a chip on your shoulder to be honest, and I didn't even mention bacon.

I'm no expert in politics and nor are the majority of the population is wager, so of course I'm influenced by other sources, isn't it the point of politicians to influence the public.

Milliband has done nothing to influence me he's the right man to lead but he may well be the best thing since sliced bread.

But what I hate is when you have an opinion on something you get shot down by know alls like you who think they know everything ... So aggressive. You sound like a fan-girl for one direction who wets her knickers as soon as her favourites get a bit of criticism.

I didn't even vote Labour.

You advanced an opinion, but as I pointed out, it's based on nothing. Thin air. Just a vague impression, that may have been influenced by months of Tory propaganda about Miliband being "weak".

We don't know how much "gravitas" Miliband will have, but we do know that Putin and the other world leaders don't take Cameron seriously. If they did, he'd have been at those peace talks.

Sorry if stating the facts makes me a "know-it-all".

Ok, sure, you've elaborated on what a "strong leader" means.

I guess I was mainly questioning the next bit:

"...who can represent the UK professionally and be a proper ambassador for British values".

I didn't even vote Labour.

You advanced an opinion, but as I pointed out, it's based on nothing. Thin air. Just a vague impression, that may have been influenced by months of Tory propaganda about Miliband being "weak".

We don't know how much "gravitas" Miliband will have, but we do know that Putin and the other world leaders don't take Cameron seriously. If they did, he'd have been at those peace talks.

Sorry if stating the facts makes me a "know-it-all".

If you know your facts then maybe you should be less confrotational with those less informed so we don't feel so alienated by politics and not waste our vote by not going.

I live in Bridgwater, a staunch Labour town.

14 of the 16 council seats are red.

The only town in the whole of the West Country that is run by Labour :)

I read this morning that my constituency has been held by the Conservatives for 105 years now.

Before the current MP, the prior ones were Boris Johnson and Michael Heseltine held it for 20 years.

Probably goes to highlight my vote didnt really make any difference anyway!

I read this morning that my constituency has been held by the Conservatives for 105 years now.

Before the current MP, the prior ones were Boris Johnson and Michael Heseltine held it for 20 years.

Probably goes to highlight my vote didnt really make any difference anyway!

70 odd years of labour where I live in Bs3 .... This voting system needs an overhaul

I would add it probably shows in the amount of effort Parties put in.

This morning outside the polling station, the only guys there were the Conservatives and the Greens.

Labour and Lib Dems? Nowhere in sight. How do you expect to capture seats when you can't even be arsed to show up.

Never saw the Labour guy once in the entire run up - regularly on a saturday morning I would see the Conservatives in the town centre handing leaflets out.

At least give it a go??

Ok, sure, you've elaborated on what a "strong leader" means.

I guess I was mainly questioning the next bit:

"...who can represent the UK professionally and be a proper ambassador for British values".

Nigel Farage.

I hate these one liners. Whats your view? Why shouldn't I vote Conservatives?  

Look, everyone has a different view and take on the world.  Policies that might be an issue for you, may not be an issue for me, so nobody is an idiot, or as you put it "turkey voting for Christmas" at all, unless you're voting for UKIP. 

I don't care about food banks or people that need to use them, I really don't give a single shite.  I don't care about nursing!! Sorry, I don't care that they don't get a wage increase.  I got looked after fine a few months ago, so thats all I care about.  I feel for them, of course, but its not an issue that "I" care about.  I'm not voting for other people, I'm voting for me.  So lets be clear, the Conservatives have increased jobs, reduced crime, halved the deficit, and interest rates are the lowest since records began... Now that's what I care about....  

So am I turkey voting for Christmas? I am if that means Christmas in a household full of vegetarians

Why do you care if they have increased jobs if you don't care about other people?

image_zpspfwl3jnw.jpg?t=1430919537

I'd consider taking this down Aussie. We're all ever so proud that you managed to put a cross in a box, but you can actually be prosecuted for this and it could invalidate your vote and while I may disagree with your choice, I wouldn't want you to jeopardise the right to make it

Archived