IGNORED

Jet Tweet?! - Jet Is Departing (Merged Topics)

BA12RED

FWIW, on balance I'm with those who'd like to see him stay, which seems to be the majority. That said, I'm not particularly hopeful and will not be surprised if he leaves. We can all understand what it is about him that might make SC decide to let him go, but if he does, it'll be interesting to see who he brings in as back up to his preferred strike pairing (whoever they turn out to be).

Even if you disregard all the valid comments about Jet's entertainment value and outstanding technical skill, there are the hard facts to consider. We know what his scoring record was like last season when he played more regularly. If my stats are correct, he has started only 20 games this season and yet he's still scored 12 goals. SC must be very confident that he can replace that highly respectable scoring ratio if he's prepared to let that sort of capability just walk out the door.

Mick McCarthy said when he let Jet leave Ipswich that it was a 'scary' decision that might come back to bite him on the arse (or words to that effect). Arguably, he was right: Jet has done well here, despite all the reservations about his obvious flaws. Moreover, I believe the people who have suggested he's matured are right. He will always be a bit of a maverick at times, but overall his approach on the pitch has become much more responsible and hard-working.

He's earned another contract in my book - if he wants it - and his performance yesterday was an absolute masterclass that I won't forget in a hurry. I'll certainly miss him if we lose him.

Great post mate.

I agree completely. Even his biggest critics have acknowledged he has matured and appears to work harder but to be fair it is glaringly obvious. His attitude has also been spot on.

I think it's safe to say that if SC is happy to let him go then he already has someone lined up or in mind. 

Said it at Xmas that he's playing for a contract, hence, fitness, attitude and performances have improved.

Shame he didn't turn up at the start of the season fit and that it took him to December.

That said, If he's offered a contract and he stays I'd be happy, as long as it's not over 2yrs and represents value - average salary of what ever the squad are on.

I would have thought he would be offered another year purely because allowing anybody with his strike rate to go, and mostly from the bench, is not something you can find easily and they certainly take time to gel. We are also told by Cotts, on many occasions, that the entire squad have been magnificent. All players have gone out of their way to say it throughout the season. We have to assume not one of them is a bad apple. In short, to my mind, it would probably be a very risky business decision to let such a player go. That said what he is offered might not be what he thinks he is worth but I doubt it. He seems very settled.

I say this with consideration, as well, that we have an ageing striker and one who, thus far, has not really cut it in the Championship. if we do not secure the services of JET for one more year then we have two strikers who are not necessarily the total sum of their parts so, one might argue, we need more than 2 new strikers. Put another way; Wilbs has maybe one more year, two at the very most i would say at Championship level and Agard is unproven; why did Rotherham let him go without a fight? 

The remarks on this thread are rather amusing though; people jumping to conclusions rather easily.

I would have thought he would be offered another year purely because allowing anybody with his strike rate to go, and mostly from the bench, is not something you can find easily and they certainly take time to gel. We are also told by Cotts, on many occasions, that the entire squad have been magnificent. All players have gone out of their way to say it throughout the season. We have to assume not one of them is a bad apple. In short, to my mind, it would probably be a very risky business decision to let such a player go. That said what he is offered might not be what he thinks he is worth but I doubt it. He seems very settled.

I say this with consideration, as well, that we have an ageing striker and one who, thus far, has not really cut it in the Championship. if we do not secure the services of JET for one more year then we have two strikers who are not necessarily the total sum of their parts so, one might argue, we need more than 2 new strikers. Put another way; Wilbs has maybe one more year, two at the very most i would say at Championship level and Agard is unproven; why did Rotherham let him go without a fight? 

The remarks on this thread are rather amusing though; people jumping to conclusions rather easily.

This is where you've got the wrong end of the stick. Worth another year? JET won't be accepting any one year contracts anywhere. He'll be looking for at least two years. If you think he'll accept a years extension with us then you've got another thing coming.

Older players, such as Wade Elliot, get offered yearly contracts, not players in the prime of their careers.

Really hope he stays, and I am sure we will offer a contract.

The real proof will be whether it is a 'see, you mean a great deal to us ' or a 'we would be ok with you staying, but you will certainly get more elsewhere' contract.

He is now a free agent, and I am half resigned to losing him, which will be a shame.

Said it at Xmas that he's playing for a contract, hence, fitness, attitude and performances have improved.

Shame he didn't turn up at the start of the season fit and that it took him to December.

That said, If he's offered a contract and he stays I'd be happy, as long as it's not over 2yrs and represents value - average salary of what ever the squad are on.

Thanks for that, Mr Lansdown.

Seems a genuinely top guy, sublime skills, deceptive pace and a cracking shot but with a work rate usually worse than shocking (but is improving).

Big gamble to give him a 2 year 'unconditional' contract, what would come back after the summer recess?

What I'd do, offer him that contract but tell him to come back after 2 weeks holiday to resume training - bugger this I'm off to London for the summer. If he was 100% fit and focused at the start of the season, with the likely extra time on the ball, he could have a field day in the Championship.

All down to JETs attitude and Cotts instincts. He could be a real top, top player if he wanted to be... but that's been said many times before.

I have been told JET, Burns, Elliott and Osborne gone tomorrow by my source. Lets see if he is right. I think he is pretty credible.

I'm calling bullshit.

JET and Elliott are feasible but both Burns and Osbourne are under contract so they won't be off anywhere tomorrow and I highly doubt that it'll be announced that both are on the transfer list.

Why do I think this? There was no need to include Burns on the bench yesterday let alone give him game time considering he played the day before for Cheltenham. The only one of our 'out on loan' players not to be involved in any of the celebrations is El-Abd. His absence almost certainly signals the end of his City career for me. As for Osbourne and Burns, while I wouldn't rule out either of them leaving, to say they'll both be gone tomorrow isn't factual especially as they've both been so involved over the last couple of days.

I have been told JET, Burns, Elliott and Osborne gone tomorrow by my source. Lets see if he is right. I think he is pretty credible.

Can't see Burns going. Obviously I don't want JET to leave, but am expecting him to. Osborne, maybe, but isn't he under contract? At this rate we'll have no squad left!

i suppose that last season when he single handedly kept up within reach of the teams above us in the first half of the season, was just him playing for a contract too?

This is where you've got the wrong end of the stick. Worth another year? JET won't be accepting any one year contracts anywhere. He'll be looking for at least two years. If you think he'll accept a years extension with us then you've got another thing coming.

Older players, such as Wade Elliot, get offered yearly contracts, not players in the prime of their careers.

You may be correct about the length of contract; not sure saying i had the 'wrong end of the stick' was the correct turn of phrase though.

And thinking more on it one might argue a two year deal is better for City anyway from a sell on protective view point.

Time will tell quite soon.

You may be correct about the length of contract; not sure saying i had the 'wrong end of the stick' was the correct turn of phrase though.

And thinking more on it one might argue a two year deal is better for City anyway from a sell on protective view point.

Time will tell quite soon.

Wrong phrase or not, a one year contract is out of the question. I agree that another two year deal is better for us and probably the best length contract he'd get from us anyway.

Whatever happens today I just hope that if JET is going to be leaving then it's Cotts decision instead of JET turning us down. I trust Cotts plan and recruitment.

if JET goes he goes with my best wishes and a big thank you for the 2 seasons he has been with us. Plus a big congratulations to whatever club do sign him, you are getting a unique player frustrating at times but well worth buying a ticket to watch that little bit of magic that he can turn on .

Archived