IGNORED

Sod New Liverpool Assistant Manager

MC RISK77

I ain't being funny but surly it is time to forget SOD......... he was what he was but nearly everyday he is mentioned....... Gotta be time to move on and forget him.

It's a football forum... one of our least 'successful' managers has joined one of the biggest Clubs in the world.

Tony Pullis and Keith Millen all work in the Prem successfully.... Benny Lennartsson was made assistant manager of Ivory Coast with Sven....all mentioned, probably our least successful managers in recent years...yet all went on to bigger things....says more about our Club than the people imho.

It's a football forum... one of our least 'successful' managers has joined one of the biggest Clubs in the world.

Tony Pullis and Keith Millen all work in the Prem successfully.... Benny Lennartsson was made assistant manager of Ivory Coast with Sven....all mentioned, probably our least successful managers in recent years...yet all went on to bigger things....says more about our Club than the people imho.

Tony Pulis wasn't revered anywhere until his second spell at Stoke, and Millen may well never hold another manager's job again, he was a richly successful assistant here. Can't blame 'the club' for that.

Tony Pulis wasn't revered anywhere until his second spell at Stoke, and Millen may well never hold another manager's job again, he was a richly successful assistant here. Can't blame 'the club' for that.

You've missed my point entirely fella...the four I mentioned are all good at their job....it was because of the state of our club, at the time, that imho, they were less successful on the pitch here.

Hear hear... Little to be gained by another 5 pgs

This

Ill summarise the next 5 pages...... 

Some "in the Know" fans who know all the ins and outs of what goes on behind the scenes, but cant say what or who the know think SOD is the best thing for our club since sliced bread........will big him up.

Then some fans who aren't "in the Know" but go and watch every game think he is one of the worst managers we've had because of the football we watched and the results that followed, while all the time being patronised by a philosophical genius because football wasn't all about results and tables..... will rightfully say he wasn't great for us.

repeat till the next thread pops up.  

Ex manager?

Who cares?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz was what most of us thought when he was here.

I have never drifted off to sleep at a football match - until I watched his clueless side utterly unable to break down a similarly toothless Sheffield United.

That game has to go down as the worst live professional football I've paid to watch in 40 years - which is some achievement!

You've missed my point entirely fella...the four I mentioned are all good at their job....it was because of the state of our club, at the time, that imho, they were less successful on the pitch here.

No that was my point, when you match it up against other clubs it's not just us.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz was what most of us thought when he was here.

I have never drifted off to sleep at a football match - until I watched his clueless side utterly unable to break down a similarly toothless Sheffield United.

That game has to go down as the worst live professional football I've paid to watch in 40 years - which is some achievement!

Was that the game where his tactics were to smash it long to 5ft 8inch Sam Baldock? Maybe that was Sheffield Wednesday.

It got to 75 minutes and I promised myself that the next time someone launched it long to Baldock again I was off home. Two minutes later I stood up and started walking.

Was that the game where his tactics were to smash it long to 5ft 8inch Sam Baldock? Maybe that was Sheffield Wednesday.

It got to 75 minutes and I promised myself that the next time someone launched it long to Baldock again I was off home. Two minutes later I stood up and started walking.

But hey, his programme notes were good

That was always the tactic; that or "hope JET produces a bit of magic from thin air".

It was the Blades visit I was talking about. We lost 0-1.

This during the time some savants here refer to as City "turning the corner".

Talksport mentioned it this morning that he was famed for passing football at donnie and bournemouth. We werent mentioned for some reason? Fair enough we were a mess when he took over but to be relegated with no fighting spirit whatsoever was unforgiveable, the next season was embarrasing too, but the philosophy of football is too complex for the great unwashed to understand, so it was all ok. Oh and didnt the england under19s fail to qualify for the euros under his watch?

Talksport mentioned it this morning that he was famed for passing football at donnie and bournemouth. We werent mentioned for some reason? Fair enough we were a mess when he took over but to be relegated with no fighting spirit whatsoever was unforgiveable, the next season was embarrasing too, but the philosophy of football is too complex for the great unwashed to understand, so it was all ok. Oh and didnt the england under19s fail to qualify for the euros under his watch?

He was famed for his passing football here too.

Pass-pass-pass-pass-lose possession

I remember this too - though you could be talking about any game.

What got me was the complete disconnection between his discussions on the radio before and after the game about a passing game, positioning, keeping the ball.

We'd then watch 90 mins of a rigid back 4 (scared to death by the way with every touch) pass it across them and then launch it long to Baldock who invariably would lose it.

I started to bet in my head when the opposition goal would come in the 80-90 mins.

It was awful awful football from a man who preached a passing game and brought anything but.

We went from a man allegedly known for passing football who brought us hoofball to a man allegedly known for hoofball who brought us entertaining football.

I remember this too - though you could be talking about any game.

What got me was the complete disconnection between his discussions on the radio before and after the game about a passing game, positioning, keeping the ball.

We'd then watch 90 mins of a rigid back 4 (scared to death by the way with every touch) pass it across them and then launch it long to Baldock who invariably would lose it.

I started to bet in my head when the opposition goal would come in the 80-90 mins.

It was awful awful football from a man who preached a passing game and brought anything but.

We went from a man allegedly known for passing football who brought us hoofball to a man allegedly known for hoofball who brought us entertaining football.

Which, I would argue, has much less to do with the state of the football club than it does with the coaching ability of the man in charge

One very significant factor in SoDs sacking was when SL wanted to take the squad to Botswana and SoD refused to allow it. That pissed SL off no end and after SoD was sacked SL admitted that SoD had been "very difficult to work with".

From SoD perspective he didn't want his squad playing against unknown opposition and risk injury to his players. He did say that amatuer teams tend to be over aggressive when up against a professional outfit and that was too risky in his view.

Cotterill had no problem with the Botswana trip and the following season City won the double. Co-incidence?

One very significant factor in SoDs sacking was when SL wanted to take the squad to Botswana and SoD refused to allow it. That pissed SL off no end and after SoD was sacked SL admitted that SoD had been "very difficult to work with".

From SoD perspective he didn't want his squad playing against unknown opposition and risk injury to his players. He did say that amatuer teams tend to be over aggressive when up against a professional outfit and that was too risky in his view.

Cotterill had no problem with the Botswana trip and the following season City won the double. Co-incidence?

He was sacked because of his results, not his personality.

Keith Millen is Mr Affable, yet the club still had to let him go when results told their own story.

On the other hand look at Osborne.

Likely to of been in the starting 11 for this season, got a nasty injury out there and now is on loan at a League 2 club until his contract runs out.

Didn't Cott's also pull the team off 5 mins early one game due to the tackles going in?

S'OD did have a point re: Botswana. 

On the other hand look at Osborne.

Likely to of been in the starting 11 for this season, got a nasty injury out there and now is on loan at a League 2 club until his contract runs out.

Didn't Cott's also pull the team off 5 mins early one game due to the tackles going in?

S'OD did have a point re: Botswana.

He did have a point and for all we know Cotterill wasn't as enthusiastic as it appeared but decided to agree to the trip. I'll bet Osborne wasn't very thankful about that.

He did have a point and for all we know Cotterill wasn't as enthusiastic as it appeared but decided to agree to the trip. I'll bet Osborne wasn't very thankful about that.

Sod was sacked because of results and nothing else

SL has admitted the Botswana trip wasn't about football...but making professional financial contacts and relations.

Its' the type of trip football managers hate...a necessary evil of the modern game.

Like having to play in Asia for your owners.

SL also said at Crewe that he came back into the country to find people celebrating drawing 2-2 at home to Leyton Orient and decided enough was enough.

A lady who works at the club also told me personally SOD was one of the most arrogant, dislikeable men she had ever met. In contrast Cotterill goes around the club talks to everyone and is incredibly well liked pretty universally.

Not that it necessarily impacts football results but goes a way to show the general nature of the men.

SL also said at Crewe that he came back into the country to find people celebrating drawing 2-2 at home to Leyton Orient and decided enough was enough.

A lady who works at the club also told me personally SOD was one of the most arrogant, dislikeable men she had ever met. In contrast Cotterill goes around the club talks to everyone and is incredibly well liked pretty universally.

Not that it necessarily impacts football results but goes a way to show the general nature of the men.

Celebrating a draw?

I can remember celebrating if we didn't conceded 3 goals in a game!

SL has admitted the Botswana trip wasn't about football...but making professional financial contacts and relations.

Its' the type of trip football managers hate...a necessary evil of the modern game.

Like having to play in Asia for your owners.

Yet Cotterill has praised the bonding experience of the trip - and team spirit certainly played a major part in last season's success.

There we're others reasons for his dismissal than simply poor results but if you want to simplify it then you already have.

The results were bad.

The football entertainment was nonexistent.

He was disliked by many in the club.

Hardly a record for longevity at a club.

Archived