IGNORED

Sod New Liverpool Assistant Manager

MC RISK77

SL also said at Crewe that he came back into the country to find people celebrating drawing 2-2 at home to Leyton Orient and decided enough was enough.

A lady who works at the club also told me personally SOD was one of the most arrogant, dislikeable men she had ever met. In contrast Cotterill goes around the club and incredibly well liked.

Not that it necessarily impacts football results but goes a way to show the general nature of the men.

Absolute bollox re the man.

I spoke to him on a few occasions at Scouting trips. He was very approachable. I know people who worked with him at the Club, and they have nothing but praise for the effort he put in. As do the players. If you were an idiot...or didn't pull your weight....then he told you so. Truth hurts sometimes....

What he didn't suffer was fools, and those not putting any effort into the Club....those on an easy ride.

He shook the Club up and those it affected didn't like it.

Yep....he didn't get the results required in time that were wanted by SL and the board.

He didn't see eye to eye with some of the board....some of whom he thought were their just because of SL, and offered nothing to the good of the Club.

As for 'hoof ball'.... he often questioned why the players were doing things he hadn't asked. They panicked.

Wherever SoD goes he will be like marmite with fans.

Wherever SoD goes....he will be appreciated by the players....

For me....he is the best thing that happened to the Club for many years. Also the decision by SL and certain board members, to put a plan into action and get SoD to implement it into the Clubs structure. Bringing certain staff in for example.

As SoD predicted....the next manager who comes in will find it a lot easier to succeed.

The boards decision to change...and the decision to employ both SoD and SC and have a Director of Football have been great for this Club...long may it continue.

Is there any chance anyone might be willing to recognise that SOD came here with a strong reputation and a good track record, which is why this forum almost unanimously welcomed his appointment in the first place? 

He failed here, without doubt, but that does not mean those previous achievements - that at the time got us all so excited - suddenly count for nothing.  Very few managers/coaches have an unblemished CV - not least of all our current manager, who very few of us wanted when he came.  Just because SOD failed here doesn't mean he won't go on to success elsewhere, maybe even as number 2 at Liverpool.

OTIB doesn't exactly have the best track record when it comes to managerial appointments - when will we learn that past successes and failures offer no guarantees of either at the next job?

Yet Cotterill has praised the bonding experience of the trip - and team spirit certainly played a major part in last season's success.

The bonding could have happened on any trip fella...think it had more to do with getting pretty much all the squad together early, and spending time together before the season started.

I spoke to him on a few occasions at Scouting trips. He was very approachable. I know people who worked with him at the Club, and they have nothing but praise for the effort he put in. As do the players. If you were an idiot...or didn't pull your weight....then he told you so. Truth hurts sometimes....

What he didn't suffer was fools, and those not putting any effort into the Club....those on an easy ride.

He shook the Club up and those it affected didn't like it.

Yep....he didn't get the results required in time that were wanted by SL and the board.

He didn't see eye to eye with some of the board....some of whom he thought were their just because of SL, and offered nothing to the good of the Club.

As for 'hoof ball'.... he often questioned why the players were doing things he hadn't asked. They panicked.

Wherever SoD goes he will be like marmite with fans.

Wherever SoD goes....he will be appreciated by the players....

For me....he is the best thing that happened to the Club for many years. Also the decision by SL and certain board members, to put a plan into action and get SoD to implement it into the Clubs structure. Bringing certain staff in for example.

As SoD predicted....the next manager who comes in will find it a lot easier to succeed.

The boards decision to change...and the decision to employ both SoD and SC and have a Director of Football have been great for this Club...long may it continue.

Very well said Spudski.

Mrs Robbo and I bumped into SoD and his wife in a harbour side restaurant and he was very happy to share a quip or two about football. Not like the public ogre he's described on here by some.

The bonding could have happened on any trip fella...think it had more to do with getting pretty much all the squad together early, and spending time together before the season started.

I think the unusual experience of travelling to a third world country and the community work the squad undertook there is more conducive to team bonding than sitting in a Portuguese hotel pool bar.

So I disagree with you there, my cocker.

Very well said Spudski.

Mrs Robbo and I bumped into SoD and his wife in a harbour side restaurant and he was very happy to share a quip or two about football. Not like the public ogre he's described on here by some.

I prefer Gary Johnson myself....

Very well said Spudski.

So you're basing your backing of SOD on the fact that he was pleasant to you when you bumped into him? Maybe if he was such a nice bloke, he should've worked a bit harder to convince the fans.

So you're basing your backing of SOD on the fact that he was pleasant to you when you bumped into him? Maybe if he was such a nice bloke, he should've worked a bit harder to convince the fans.

His programme notes and podcasts with The Exiled Robin were some of the most interesting things I've heard/read from a manager and he did try and connect with the fans. Just because he wasn't charasmatic and loud doesn't make that untrue. I think he did a lot of good for the club and was turning things around - however, as I made in a similar post on another thread, the decision to get rid of him and bring in SC has been more than proven to have been the right one.

I think SOD did a lot of good stuff behind the scenes, and the players were gutted when he was sacked and blamed themselves.

SOD did well to get the sound-bite of "the next manager after him having an easier time" out there. I'm surprised more managers don't use it when results aren't going there way. 

I'm not doing my job very well but whoever replaces me will get better results then me...........but that's because of me.   :facepalm:  Well played sir. Shows a complete lack of respect for what Cotteril has done this season. 

SOD did well to get the sound-bite of "the next manager after him having an easier time" out there. I'm surprised more managers don't use it when results aren't going there way. 

I'm not doing my job very well but whoever replaces me will get better results then me...........but that's because of me.   :facepalm:  Well played sir. Shows a complete lack of respect for what Cotteril has done this season. 

He's in a great place now, Brendan Rodgers believes he has invented the game of football, this guys ego knows no limits.

His programme notes and podcasts with The Exiled Robin were some of the most interesting things I've heard/read from a manager and he did try and connect with the fans. Just because he wasn't charasmatic and loud doesn't make that untrue. I think he did a lot of good for the club and was turning things around - however, as I made in a similar post on another thread, the decision to get rid of him and bring in SC has been more than proven to have been the right one.

I think SOD did a lot of good stuff behind the scenes, and the players were gutted when he was sacked and blamed themselves.

His programme notes and interviews about football didn't marry up in any way with the utter dross that then occurred on the field with lumping it long to a lone striker and players totally unable to pick up opposition runners.

Hence why with one of the strongest squads in the league we were rock bottom of the table and being booed off.

The man was at fault for some of the worst football I have ever seen down there.

I liked SoDs long term vision of where he wanted to take City but sadly for him the results caused the board to act and he was sacked.

There's much similarity between his and Millens long term aims but like SoD Millens result cost him his job.

Not true.

Most of the players were delighted when Johnson got sacked. Disappointed when Millen was shown the door and indifferent to McInnes departure.

I'd say the players must have been indifferent to Millen's departure, too. Keith was well liked by the players and fans as he was a truly nice person, but the players couldn't have been that bothered after the way they capitulated against Reading and Blackpool before he was sacked.

GJ's reign ended with the infamous Plymouth changing room incident, Keith's a 5-0 defeat, Del's a 4-0 defeat, whereas SOD's last game was an impressive and spirited performance against the best team in the division at the time. That showed the players were still with him.

I'd say the players must have been indifferent to Millen's departure, too. Keith was well liked by the players and fans as he was a truly nice person, but the players couldn't have been that bothered after the way they capitulated against Reading and Blackpool before he was sacked.

GJ's reign ended with the infamous Plymouth changing room incident, Keith's a 5-0 defeat, Del's a 4-0 defeat, whereas SOD's last game was an impressive and spirited performance against the best team in the division at the time. That showed the players were still with him.

SOD's last game was also in a division below the other three's when we occupied our lowest league position in over ten years...

Not true.

Most of the players were delighted when Johnson got sacked. Disappointed when Millen was shown the door and indifferent to McInnes departure.

Not the point I was making. They'll still say the same things when you stick a microphone in front of them; what they said about SO'D in the press is meaningless.

Shows nothing, that's just how you interpret it. I could make a similarly unfounded statement that it showed individually the player's own professional pride aside of any managerial influence.

The players made up one of the best squads in the division and we were at the foot of the table playing hoofball and letting in goals left right and centre.

Do not forget just how bad it was under him

Just goes to show that SoD is very highly rated and respected within the game - except of course by some on here.

After City he worked at the FA and now is assistant manager at Liverpool.

I hope he doesn't get to do many post match interviews. The scousers are for an interesting time if he does,

hes an ex manager of the club, who cares!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Not true.

Most of the players were  I was delighted when Johnson got sacked. Disappointed when Millen was shown the door and indifferent to McInnes departure.

Too much of an open goal to resist RR. :) 

Archived