IGNORED

ALL Rumours for January Transfer window (Merged)

fly in the air

40 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I read this alot on here, but Kodjia's been in Bristol for 6 months now.

If he still 'barely speaks English' after all that time something's very wrong and would indicate he's not integrating into the squad at all.

I wouldn't expect him to be fluent, or anywhere near it, but he should certainly have made great strides and be far more capable than he was in July.

depends what the first words he learned were. if it was natch or similar,theres every chance he isnt aware of much else

19 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

If he still 'barely speaks English' after all that time something's very wrong and would indicate he's not integrating into the squad at all.

I wouldn't expect him to be fluent, or anywhere near it, but he should certainly have made great strides and be far more capable than he was in July.

Ever worked abroad on your own where your native language is not the mother tongue? I did it and its bloody hard (No matter how much money you earn). Honestly 6 months is absolutely no time at all to feel "at home" or learn the language. Lets face it the stereotypical pro football is not blessed up top! 

56 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Ever worked abroad on your own where your native language is not the mother tongue? I did it and its bloody hard (No matter how much money you earn). Honestly 6 months is absolutely no time at all to feel "at home" or learn the language. Lets face it the stereotypical pro football is not blessed up top! 

I know what you mean frenchred , I worked in Singapore for a while and that was tough trying to learn the lingo, the only thing I could get my tongue around were the birds out there............

17 hours ago, frenchred said:

Oui .

On 1/10/2016 at 21:51, gas8er said:

I know what you mean frenchred , I worked in Singapore for a while and that was tough trying to learn the lingo, the only thing I could get my tongue around were the birds out there............

Ah, the 4 floors of whores! I walked past it once, honest! 

On 10/01/2016 at 19:48, Nogbad the Bad said:

He will certainly have learned some English but without knowing how adept he is at learning new languages, it is difficult to know how much he has learned. 

My guess is that anything to do with refuse containers has not figured in his lessons and if he got to know that we are referring to him as one, I think it not unreasonable that he would get very upset.

And I know from first hand experience how difficult it can be to become even competent in a new language. In school I got O levels in Latin, French and German. During my working life I became very good at French and German, conducting business meetings in both.

Yet when I went to live in Portugal after two years of night school in Portuguese, it was over a year before I got to grips with the language as it spoken by the locals.

Jonathan Kodjia may be a very good footballer but may not be so hot at learning a new language. So treat him with some respect.

On 1/10/2016 at 20:53, frenchred said:

I worked in Olsztyn, Poland for 6 months.  I tried, I really did..... but to be fair whilst I could speak a few phrases, as soon as the locals spoke back at me it just became noise.  Could never be quite sure if they were offering me a beer, a lift or a kick in!

Yeah, it's not as easy as you'd hope.

On 1/9/2016 at 12:09, brad blit said:

On 1/9/2016 at 12:56, City169 said:

On 1/10/2016 at 19:04, cidered abroad said:

26 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

He will certainly have learned some English but without knowing how adept he is at learning new languages, it is difficult to know how much he has learned. 

My guess is that anything to do with refuse containers h

as not figured in his lessons and if he got to know that we are referring to him as one, I think it not unreasonable that he would get very upset.

And I know from first hand experience how difficult it can be to become even competent in a new language. In school I got O levels in Latin, French and German. During my working life I became very good at French and German, conducting business meetings in both.

Yet when I went to live in Portugal after two years of night school in Portuguese, it was over a year before I got to grips with the language as it spoken by the locals.

Jonathan Kodjia may be a very good footballer but may not be so hot at learning a new language. So treat him with some respect.

Nothing disrespectful about what I said. Only one poster has referred to him as 'wheelie bin', and wasn't me.

He's been here 6 months, he can't be expected to be fluent or anywhere near it, but he should surely be more capable than he was in July.

I too have spent 6 months working in a foreign speaking country. Unless you're a hermit, It's impossible NOT to improve your ability to speak the native language in that time.

So if Kodjia 'can barely speak English' now, inferring there has been little or no progression, that would be cause for concern.

Yes, indeed, and I stand by what I said.

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Nothing disrespectful about what I said. Only one poster has referred to him as 'wheelie bin', and wasn't me.

He's been here 6 months, he can't be expected to be fluent or anywhere near it, but he should surely be more capable than he was in July.

I too have spent 6 months working in a foreign speaking country. Unless you're a hermit, It's impossible NOT to improve your ability to speak the native language in that time.

So if Kodjia 'can barely speak English' now, inferring there has been little or no progression, that would be cause for concern.

Yes, indeed, and I stand by what I said.

Kodjia's English has improved lots and he's learning the language - from a very good source. 

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

A random Derby fan on Twitter saying Darren Bent is coming to us. Rumours of this last week, as a Derby fan can't think of a reason he'd have to lie about it.. Would make sense, can't see them wanting him at a top 6 club.

Another one? I just don't see that at all

What has he done in the last 2 years that would make City (or any other club) pay him what he would want? On his day though.....

10 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Another one? I just don't see that at all

What has he done in the last 2 years that would make City (or any other club) pay him what he would want? On his day though.....

True, but then again many thought that about Wilbraham and Elliot. This team is crying out for a bit of experience and guile, Bent has that having played in the prem and for England. Would add to us, natural goal scorer too. Kodjia would learn lots from him.

Got 10 goals for Derby last season too. 

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

True, but then again many thought that about Wilbraham and Elliot. This team is crying out for a bit of experience and guile, Bent has that having played in the prem and for England. Would add to us, natural goal scorer too. Kodjia would learn lots from him.

Maybe he knows a little French too!?

Elliott I was excited about, always looked a classy player. As for Wilbs, thought he was past it - so maybe I'm being a little harsh. Still don't think we'll see the 'City sign Bent' gag on twitter any time soon....

10 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Kodjia's English has improved lots and he's learning the language - from a very good source. 

During the Charlton game he went over to the linesman and had a long old conversation about the rules of offside.  It was clear that the linesman agreed with him eventually.  Up at WBA, he had a conversation with the ref along the lines of his parentage (the ref's not Kodjia's).  Again, you could see the ref agreed by the end of the conversation.

I couldn't hear the actual language being used but I'm going to guess it wasn't French.

Archived