IGNORED

ALL Rumours for January Transfer window (Merged)

fly in the air

24 minutes ago, Harry said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35303886

Here's 2 good lower league players who'd be cheap in terms of fee and wages. One is from Somerset and the other lives in Clifton. I reckon they'd be happy to sign up. 

One is definitely better than what we currently have whilst the other could very well be. 

I'm still baffled as to why our squad is not containing the like of these type of players. I'm baffled that our recruitment policy is not considering these type of deals. 

Couldnt agree more. Its a joke we dont take these sort of punts along with recruiting proven championship players. Our transfer strategy is embarrassing.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I'm sure that's what was said after the game.. Anyone else catch it?

Yep. He said only 1or2 could step up and the best most encouraging comment was the 'its impossible to sign anyone in january'!! FFS. Im all for keeping it quiet but silence is deafening this time round. 

1 minute ago, nickolas said:

Yep. He said only 1or2 could step up and the best most encouraging comment was the 'its impossible to sign anyone in january'!! FFS. Im all for keeping it quiet but silence is deafening this time round. 

I don't think he said that in the post match interview. The radio Bristol host was talking about another discussion he had with cotts, the intervewer asked him nothing apart from whether anything was imminent.

13 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I'm sure I heard Carey/Hoskin say on Tuesday after the game that according to SC there are "2" players in leagues 1/2 who could make the step up into this league.. Find that hard to believe personally. 

I heard this as well and thought no wonder we are in the mire if thats what he thinks. He obviously doesnt know what hes looking for then as there must be more than that. What a stupid thing to say.

9 minutes ago, Red Army 87 said:

I don't think he said that in the post match interview. The radio Bristol host was talking about another discussion he had with cotts, the intervewer asked him nothing apart from whether anything was imminent.

I listened and i heard this. Might be confusing different interviews but the fact he said it at all is bemusing!!

36 minutes ago, nickolas said:

I listened and i heard this. Might be confusing different interviews but the fact he said it at all is bemusing!!

Yep he did say it on Radio Bristol last night.  I can only think he meant that in the current mess we are in, there are several players who might be able to step up, but who'd not want to risk coming to us, as their clubs might pass us on their way up ' our way down. I'm thinking Bradshaw, Dack, whatever your opinion of their abilities.  Therefore only a small number (2) left.  If that us the case, why aren't we after those 2?

Then again, he might have been being stupid.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I'm sure I heard Carey/Hoskin say on Tuesday after the game that according to SC there are "2" players in leagues 1/2 who could make the step up into this league.. Find that hard to believe personally. 

Great. I get the impression he doesn't think there are many in the championship either. Really sorry state we are in with him in charge if he said that

1 minute ago, smokey live said:

Would he come here? I bet he would prefer to stay at his hometown club

It appears we're enquiring about more than 1 keeper if true about the French one, with O'Donnell we would be okay while Frankie's out so not desperate to sign someone. 

Just now, smokey live said:

We could do with a couple of decent keepers

COULD being the word there, give O'Donnell a couple of game and I reckon he'll be solid, its not exactly a position we desperately need to improve now. Immediate action needed on RWB, CM and striker with a covering CB needed.

1 minute ago, hodge said:

COULD being the word there, give O'Donnell a couple of game and I reckon he'll be solid, its not exactly a position we desperately need to improve now. Immediate action needed on RWB, CM and striker with a covering CB needed.

Yeah it was nice to see a keeper who knew he had a penalty area to use and not just the 6 yard box. also swept up well behind the defence a few times

2 hours ago, milo1111 said:

I heard this as well and thought no wonder we are in the mire if thats what he thinks. He obviously doesnt know what hes looking for then as there must be more than that. What a stupid thing to say.

Why is he still manager of this club then? He HAS got to go for us to stand any chance of staying up!

People say 'if we change we haven't given the new fella time' but if we don't change we're down anyway!

I am getting to really dislike the bloke now and that's not fair on him after last year.

I heard SC say what he did about the 1 or 2 players.. what he no doubt was referring to was only that number would fit into what and how his team play and how that player would integrate into the team; there are plenty of good players in the lower leagues just not that many that fit what he wants.

I thought it was a perfectly reasonable and learned answer; that many on here jump on his back over absolutely anything and everything he says right now, I suppose, is par for the course when we are in the position we are in; the guy is damned whatever he says. Might help him and by definition the team if we cut the guy a break when he most needs it. The team is more important than any one individual right? So you hack into the man that counts and it, for sure, is not going to have a positive effect on the team. You guys want us to get relegated? Go right ahead and plough on.

8 hours ago, Harry said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35303886

Here's 2 good lower league players who'd be cheap in terms of fee and wages. One is from Somerset and the other lives in Clifton. I reckon they'd be happy to sign up. 

One is definitely better than what we currently have whilst the other could very well be. 

I'm still baffled as to why our squad is not containing the like of these type of players. I'm baffled that our recruitment policy is not considering these type of deals. 

Ok but we've seen that players are very reluctant to leave home and come to Bristol City .

3 hours ago, havanatopia said:

I heard SC say what he did about the 1 or 2 players.. what he no doubt was referring to was only that number would fit into what and how his team play and how that player would integrate into the team; there are plenty of good players in the lower leagues just not that many that fit what he wants.

I thought it was a perfectly reasonable and learned answer; that many on here jump on his back over absolutely anything and everything he says right now, I suppose, is par for the course when we are in the position we are in; the guy is damned whatever he says. Might help him and by definition the team if we cut the guy a break when he most needs it. The team is more important than any one individual right? So you hack into the man that counts and it, for sure, is not going to have a positive effect on the team. You guys want us to get relegated? Go right ahead and plough on.

I hope that's what he meant, at the time that's not how I heard it but your understanding of it sounds plausible and realistic.

Assumed I'd misheard at first because that comment, if taken literally, is ridiculous.

I disagree though that many jump on his back whatever he says, granted there might be a few, but not that many. It was a comment said third hand by someone paraphrasing SC so inevitably meaning and context become difficult to convey. No one wants us to be relegated and comments like that; whilst they sound ambiguous, will always be debated. 

12 hours ago, REDOXO said:

This is a seriously funny thread seriously some great one liners on this last page. Gallows Humour maybe but what else right now. 

The notion Fulham will sell Smith to a relegation rival is ludicrous under almost any circumstance. Cue Smithy signing just to put the tin hat on it, though Cunnigham getting last nights winner is a pretty impressive tin hat thus far. 

How about of SL just buys Bolton and gives it to Jon or we make a bid for that bloke Vardy that seems to have caught the eye ft the lower leagues. 

Got it! The next Vardy at the Gas gotta be worth a punt just to pissem off and give us all a little smile!

If it was any other business, I'm sure someone in our position might buy Bolton and asset strip it. 

Can I have one if their swanky coffee machines please and their big illuminated club sign? Can give to the father in-law. 

4 hours ago, havanatopia said:

If thats the case then we need to change systems as we are killing ourselves by massively reducing our options transferwise.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I hope that's what he meant, at the time that's not how I heard it but your understanding of it sounds plausible and realistic.

Assumed I'd misheard at first because that comment, if taken literally, is ridiculous.

I disagree though that many jump on his back whatever he says, granted there might be a few, but not that many. It was a comment said third hand by someone paraphrasing SC so inevitably meaning and context become difficult to convey. No one wants us to be relegated and comments like that; whilst they sound ambiguous, will always be debated. 

Hi PF

He did say it bud - people can make of it what they will -  I personally don't agree with him

He is clearly intent on only getting  players who are clearly better than what we have here (Who I believe he has been over sentimental with) and I believe this is one of his major errors

I have been told a number of things that happened over the summer which I have not repeated on here as like everyone else in here I can't categorically state them as fact, and some are obviously libellous if not true. ( Interesting comments about an  'unfortunate misunderstanding' from The SC camp recently which gives me a more clearer indication of what appears to have happened ) 

One thing I was told (that appears to be borne out by time and his an interviews)  is that after failing to land the players he wanted (Gray etc) SC did not want to / refused to pick off L1 players as he felt he would be criticised if they didn't cope and we got relegated.

Cant quote that as gospel but was told that in Sept 

If that is true then I can see why an initial reaction (From SCs view) would be not to compromise and stick to his principle of only bringing in better than what you have - which on face of it seems reasonable

However I feel mif true this was a very poor decision in the circumstances

We had a ridiculously bare, not thin squad , thinner than the previous season when he admitted he was surprised we'd got away with it (In L1)

Im not as knowledgable these days as some on here regarding conference , L2 , L1 players but I've see enough to know that there are players out there who look they have at least a good chance of stepping up 

I believe that SC over rated and became too blurred in relation to the current squad - For me personally putting my non city / neutral  working eyes to use I would say at least two of the current eleven were not and were never going to be of Champ level required but SC clearly rates them more than I do - There are certainly players I last years squad that could have been matched with signings from L1 and given us a SQUAD with COVER and DEPTH which would have been at least a start !

Great if you can sign Maguire, Gray and Gayle , but when that goes pear shaped and you ain't gonna get these types then review, readjust, and replan adjusting your goals

By the time he had finished his obvious hump (if he has yet) we were left with the loan market to strengthen ( too many for me - one or two good loans max should be it for a good side for me) and without going into it I think his and KBs loan recruitment has been poor overall which has been highlighted by or highlights the lack of strength in and across the crazily small permanent squad

It would be clear both from his actions and comments that he is unwilling to do this, whilst we have the owner recently stating that he thought we should be looking in L1

SCs maintenance and stance on his beliefs (Although understandable initially and in different circumstances I'd label it now as complete stubbornness) has cost us to date and may well see us relegated unless we pull a couple of rabbits out of the bag

Sometimes you have to deal with the here and now and lower your immediate expectations - we should have done this IMO in the second half of the summer window with a view to adding that extra quality ( A Gray etc) in January or next summers window

Problem Is that now,  I'm not sure players jumping up from L1 are going to be able to have the immediate impact we now need with the few remaining months of the season and I certainly can't see us being able to attract any quality permanent signings in our current situation (Hope I'm wrong)

I don't blame us on having a punt on Clough - gonna be a good player if he can avoid injuries - reminds me of Lee Hendrie

Hiwever when we were in for him I did think it was unrealistic / unfair for him to be the one to come in and save us - as talented as he looks - I hope he was a 'bonus' / opportunistic punt and that we have been pursuing our main targets

As another poster said - Clough if successful should have been the 'icing on the cake' type signing

Sadly for we'd compromised and built a solid squad in the summer I think we'd have probably landed Clough last week

People have laughed at it but we now need a Crouch type on loan who you think would almost instantly improve us overnight

Not sure I can see t happening mind !

COYR

8 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Hi PF

He did say it bud - people can make of it what they will -  I personally don't agree with him

He is clearly intent on only getting  players who are clearly better than what we have here (Who I believe he has been over sentimental with) and I believe this is one of his major errors

I have been told a number of things that happened over the summer which I have not repeated on here as like everyone else in here I can't categorically state them as fact, and some are obviously libellous if not true. ( Interesting comments about an  'unfortunate misunderstanding' from The SC camp recently which gives me a more clearer indication of what appears to have happened ) 

One thing I was told (that appears to be borne out by time and his an interviews)  is that after failing to land the players he wanted (Gray etc) SC did not want to / refused to pick off L1 players as he felt he would be criticised if they didn't cope and we got relegated.

Cant quote that as gospel but was told that in Sept 

If that is true then I can see why an initial reaction (From SCs view) would be not to compromise and stick to his principle of only bringing in better than what you have - which on face of it seems reasonable

However I feel mif true this was a very poor decision in the circumstances

We had a ridiculously bare, not thin squad , thinner than the previous season when he admitted he was surprised we'd got away with it (In L1)

Im not as knowledgable these days as some on here regarding conference , L2 , L1 players but I've see enough to know that there are players out there who look they have at least a good chance of stepping up 

I believe that SC over rated and became too blurred in relation to the current squad - For me personally putting my non city / neutral  working eyes to use I would say at least two of the current eleven were not and were never going to be of Champ level required but SC clearly rates them more than I do - There are certainly players I last years squad that could have been matched with signings from L1 and given us a SQUAD with COVER and DEPTH which would have been at least a start !

Great if you can sign Maguire, Gray and Gayle , but when that goes pear shaped and you ain't gonna get these types then review, readjust, and replan adjusting your goals

By the time he had finished his obvious hump (if he has yet) we were left with the loan market to strengthen ( too many for me - one or two good loans max should be it for a good side for me) and without going into it I think his and KBs loan recruitment has been poor overall which has been highlighted by or highlights the lack of strength in and across the crazily small permanent squad

It would be clear both from his actions and comments that he is unwilling to do this, whilst we have the owner recently stating that he thought we should be looking in L1

SCs maintenance and stance on his beliefs (Although understandable initially and in different circumstances I'd label it now as complete stubbornness) has cost us to date and may well see us relegated unless we pull a couple of rabbits out of the bag

Sometimes you have to deal with the here and now and lower your immediate expectations - we should have done this IMO in the second half of the summer window with a view to adding that extra quality ( A Gray etc) in January or next summers window

Problem Is that now,  I'm not sure players jumping up from L1 are going to be able to have the immediate impact we now need with the few remaining months of the season

People have laughed at it but we need a Crouch type on loan who you think would almost instantly improve us overnight

Not sure I can see t happening mind !

COYR

Well he'd alright at defending corners in the dying minutes…

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

As Super Bob says he did say it and I defer, largely, to his remarks and thoughts as they sound like a reasonable bunch of assumptions, thoughts and possible here say.

41 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

If thats the case then we need to change systems as we are killing ourselves by massively reducing our options transferwise.

Catch 22.. if we only we had the players to do it; suspect the current 11 would be even worse at a 4-4-2 for example.

I mentioned Crouch months ago largely because my Stokie buddy told me he was becoming surplus to requirements.. Hughes seems to want him as cover but Crouchie has stated he wants to play; if he could be persuaded to drop a division I agree with Super Bob that he likely would give us an instant positive and not only on the pitch.

Why are we always focussing on strikers? Sure, we need another tall player so Wilbs can be rested more often but the defence is the main problem. I remember when we got Bikey on loan in January (one of McInness's few good signings) and he more or less transformed the defence overnight with his confidence and leadership qaulities, all our other defenders raised their game as a result and we stayed up. It would be great if we could get a 30+ defender on loan who'd played at the highest level, just what we need now.

It's interesting looking at the 3 clubs promoted from L1, MK play a passing game like us and are having similar problems, look at their forum and their fans are saying similar things to us here whereas PNE are set up as a 'hard to beat' side not worrying about entertainment value. Would our fans be prepared to watch less exciting football if it meant we would stay up? I know I would in the short term, remember when Denis Smith was sacked and Russel Osman took over? The defence was sorted almost immediately and fans liked it at first but got bored after a year or so.

I'm afraid we haven't currently got good enough players to play the passing game/attacking type of football at this level, we could do it in L1 but at this level the other teams just wait for us to make a mistake then race up the other end and score, it's all too easy. Just hope we change something soon before it's too late.

5 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

As Super Bob says he did say it and I defer, largely, to his remarks and thoughts as they sound like a reasonable bunch of assumptions, thoughts and possible here say.

Catch 22.. if we only we had the players to do it; suspect the current 11 would be even worse at a 4-4-2 for example.

I mentioned Crouch months ago largely because my Stokie buddy told me he was becoming surplus to requirements.. Hughes seems to want him as cover but Crouchie has stated he wants to play; if he could be persuaded to drop a division I agree with Super Bob that he likely would give us an instant positive and not only on the pitch.

Add to which fellas,

The system we play

@spudski gets a lot of stick but has repeatedly pointed out on here (totally correct IMO) quite how demanding the wing back system is to play - most sides who ever played it have 4 top wing backs to rotate for example

Thus the combination of a small squad for the reasons discussed AND the demands of the Championship AND the system we refuse to change AND  Sc's refusal to use the fringe players ..... All these together are a disastrous combination IMO and has an obvious consequence

Quite simply , whatever SCs beliefs, right now he needs to compromise on some of these 'ingredients' and QUICKLY otherwise we will be in L1 by mid April

Archived