IGNORED

The Official Blackburn Rovers v Bristol City Match Day Thread

Good afternoon one and all.

Talking of his wish to have his ashes scattered on Hay Stacks, his favourite hill in the Lake District, Alfred Wainwright said, "If you dear readers should get a bit of grit in your boots as you are crossing Hay Stacks in the years to come, please treat it with respect. It might be me."

'Wainwrights 'Pictorial Guide to the Lakeland Fells' published between 1955 and 1966 and consisting entirely of reproductions of his manuscript, has become the standard reference work to 214 of the fells of the English Lake District. Among his 40-odd other books is the first guide to the Coast to Coast Walk, a 192-mile long-distance footpath devised by Wainwright and written in 1972 which remains popular today. The Coast to Coast, he declares in his guidebook, which follows the same format as the Pennine Way Companion, "puts the Pennine Way to shame" for scenic beauty, variety and interest. The route traverses the north of England from St. Bees to Robin Hood's Bay, passing through the Lake District, the Yorkshire Dales and the North York Moors national parks. 

Wainwright captures the beauty of our country perhaps better than anyone in a hundred years or more by his 'walking manuscripts' which gorgeously envelopes the reader to the point that you are there, yourself, on the coast path experiencing the majesty of it all.

Wainwright received an MBE for his eloquent yet straight forward writings and was born in the industrially fair town of Blackburn on the 17th of January 1907 and died three days after his birthday in 1991. He was a lifelong Blackburn Rovers fan. 

I wonder what Wainwright, that archetypal traditional, often dour, Lancastrian, would have made of the 2010 takeover of the club by a family of Indian Chicken Farmers and Processors. I would hazard a guess, not a lot. After making the remarkable faux pas of sacking Sam Allardyce they did it again by appointing Steve Kean who oversaw their relegation after an 11 year stay in the top flight. Henning Berg followed, lasting 57 days succeeded by Michael Appleton who, by many estimations, only ever took the job because of the security of a pay off. Appleton too only lasted two months in the job. Gary Bowyer arrived in late 2013. By now Wainwright would have been turning in his grave. Paul Lambert took over in 2015 and has, very recently, called into question whether he will be at the club next season given the doubt over whether he will be given the money to strengthen the team. Once again the stability of the club will be called into question and the suitability of Pune based Chicken people in running one of the founder members of the Football League.

Wainwright died too soon to see Rovers lift the Premier League title in 1994-5 season which was their 3rd in the top flight. They have won the FA Cup no fewer than on 6 occasions although not since 1928, The League Cup once, in 2002 and the Charity Shield, once also, in 1912. Blackburn have an illustrious history which returned for that early 90's Walker/Dalglish/Shearer era but has since faded dramatically under foreign ownership. How many clubs can mimic that same pattern in the last 20 years? Sadly, quite a few.

Todays match see's both clubs require a point to secure safety although, in reality, both were safe well over a week ago in my humble opinion.

I think City might get back to winning ways at Ewood Park because in spite of that narrow defeat to Derby we are better than the position we currently hold in the table. Bravo to all those making the long and horribly arduous journey to Lancashire today. A truly fabulous effort and we all salute your magnificent support. Cheer the lads on to victory.

Rovers 0 City 2

Kodjia, Tomlin.

Gorrrrnnnn. UTC.

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 14
13 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Talking of his wish to have his ashes scattered on Hay Stacks, his favourite hill in the Lake District, Alfred Wainwright said, "If you dear readers should get a bit of grit in your boots as you are crossing Hay Stacks in the years to come, please treat it with respect. It might be me."

'Wainwrights 'Pictorial Guide to the Lakeland Fells' published between 1955 and 1966 and consisting entirely of reproductions of his manuscript, has become the standard reference work to 214 of the fells of the English Lake District. Among his 40-odd other books is the first guide to the Coast to Coast Walk, a 192-mile long-distance footpath devised by Wainwright and written in 1972 which remains popular today. The Coast to Coast, he declares in his guidebook, which follows the same format as the Pennine Way Companion, "puts the Pennine Way to shame" for scenic beauty, variety and interest. The route traverses the north of England from St. Bees to Robin Hood's Bay, passing through the Lake District, the Yorkshire Dales and the North York Moors national parks. 

Wainwright captures the beauty of our country perhaps better than anyone in a hundred years or more by his 'walking manuscripts' which gorgeously envelopes the reader to the point that you are there, yourself, on the coast path experiencing the majesty of it all.

Wainwright received an MBE for his eloquent yet straight forward writings and was born in the industrially fair town of Blackburn on the 17th of January 1907 and died three days after his birthday in 1991. He was a lifelong Blackburn Rovers fan. 

I wonder what Wainwright, that archetypal traditional, often dour, Lancastrian, would have made of the 2010 takeover of the club by a family of Indian Chicken Farmers and Processors. I would hazard a guess, not a lot. After making the remarkable faux pas of sacking Sam Allardyce they did it again by appointing Steve Kean who oversaw their relegation after an 11 year stay in the top flight. Henning Berg followed, lasting 57 days succeeded by Michael Appleton who, by many estimations, only ever took the job because of the security of a pay off. Appleton too only lasted two months in the job. Gary Bowyer arrived in late 2013. By now Wainwright would have been turning in his grave. Paul Lambert took over in 2015 and has, very recently, called into question whether he will be at the club next season given the doubt over whether he will be given the money to strengthen the team. Once again the stability of the club will be called into question and the suitability of Pune based Chicken people in running one of the founder members of the Football League.

Wainwright died too soon to see Rovers lift the Premier League title in 1994-5 season which was their 3rd in the top flight. They have won the FA Cup no fewer than on 6 occasions although not since 1928, The League Cup once, in 2002 and the Charity Shield, once also, in 1912. Blackburn have an illustrious history which returned for that early 90's Walker/Dalglish/Shearer era but has since faded dramatically under foreign ownership. How many clubs can mimic that same pattern in the last 20 years? Sadly, quite a few.

Todays match see's both clubs require a point to secure safety although, in reality, both were safe well over a week ago in my humble opinion.

I think City might get back to winning ways at Ewood Park because in spite of that narrow defeat to Derby we are better than the position we currently hold in the table. Bravo to all those making the long and horribly arduous journey to Lancashire today. A truly fabulous effort and we all salute your magnificent support. Cheer the lads on to victory.

Rovers 0 City 2

Kodjia, Tomlin.

Gorrrrnnnn. UTC.

Good Afternoon Havanatopia!   I thought you were stuck in traffic like some fans on the way to Blackburn, as usual a good thread.  I think a draw today, but a win would be great and put us out of relegation for sure.  COYRs!!!!!!!!!

16 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Rovers 0 City 2

Kodjia, Tomlin.

Gorrrrnnnn. UTC.

All good apart from the score.

1-1.

Carry on.

Uncle TFR :englandsmile4wf:

We've Bryan, Reid and flipping Tomlin behind Wilbs, (not to mention Smith and Pack behind them) and people on here are talking about/presuming we'll just go route one?

Last time I remember people being this pessimistic about a starting line up, we went out at put four past Wednesday.

As per usual; happy to wait and see what the plan is until after we actually see the players on the pitch.

Edited by samo II
  • Like 2

Alfred Wainwright is one of my heroes, but one should note that he got his fame by walking outside of Blackburn. The Rovers were a Big Club when I were a lad (Dobing, Dougan, Clayton, etc.), and briefly again when I was old enough to know better (Shearer and Sutton), but they are totally doomed now. Just shows how lucky we are with our billionaire.

22 minutes ago, samo II said:

We've Bryan, Reid and flipping Tomlin behind Wilbs, (not to mention Smith and Pack behind them) and people on here are talking about/presuming we'll just go route one?

Last time I remember people being this pessimistic about a starting line up, we went out at put four past Wednesday.

As per usual; happy to wait and see what the plan is until after we actually see the players on the pitch.

I was going to write this, but you've saved me the bother. So below, I'm just going to copy & paste it and pretend they're my words...

#One Team in Bristol - Bristol City FC Forums

The Official Blackburn Rovers v Bristol City Match Day Thread

Started by havanatopia1 hour ago

26 posts in this topic

havanatopia     1,485

• havanatopia
  • Members
  • 13,999 posts

ID: 1   Posted 1 hour ago (edited) · 

Rovers 0 City 2

Kodjia, Tomlin.

Gorrrrnnnn. UTC.

Edited 1 hour ago by havanatopia

EstoniaTallinnRed     354

• EstoniaTallinnRed
  • OTIB Supporter
  • 2,303 posts

ID: 2   Posted 1 hour ago · 

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

Rovers 0 City 2

Kodjia, Tomlin.

Gorrrrnnnn. UTC.

Good Afternoon Havanatopia!   I thought you were stuck in traffic like some fans on the way to Blackburn, as usual a good thread.  I think a draw today, but a win would be great and put us out of relegation for sure.  COYRs!!!!!!!!!

Taxi for Rennie     726

• Taxi for Rennie
  • Members
  • 3,418 posts

ID: 3   Posted 1 hour ago · 

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

Rovers 0 City 2

Kodjia, Tomlin.

Gorrrrnnnn. UTC.

All good apart from the score.

1-1.

Carry on.

cheshire_red     181

• cheshire_red
  • Members
  • 6,465 posts

ID: 4   Posted 57 minutes ago (edited) · 

Blackburn's biggest rivalry is with Burnley. It concerns which is the biggest Shithole in Lancashire.

Edited 57 minutes ago by cheshire_red

Taxi for Rennie     726

• Taxi for Rennie
  • Members
  • 3,418 posts

ID: 5   Posted 56 minutes ago · 

1 hour ago, cheshire_red said:

Blackburn's biggest rivalry is with Burnley. It concerns which is the biggest Shithole in Lancashire.

Do NOT mention Burnley to Blackburn fans.

:nono:

mikep     28

• mikep
  • OTIB Supporter
  • 226 posts

ID: 6   Posted 52 minutes ago · 

'Four thousand goals against Blackburn, Lancashire' John Lennon was a tad optimistic in his score line but, it would be nice if we could pepper their goal a few times today. COYR.

glynriley likes this  Like this

havanatopia     1,485

• havanatopia
  • Members
  • 13,999 posts

ID: 7   Posted 49 minutes ago · 

Cheers Estonia.. well I was stuck in traffic actually but not on the horrendous M6; the remarkably more congested road leading into Subic from San Antonio to the north as I headed back to Manila; nice to escape the metropolis for a day or so.

Chairman Mao     465

• Chairman Mao
  • Members
  • 1,239 posts

ID: 8   Posted 48 minutes ago · 

3-1 Reid x2, Kodjia

Easy.

bristolcitysweden     490

• bristolcitysweden
  • OTIB Supporter
  • 11,835 posts

ID: 9   Posted 44 minutes ago · 

For the good of all fans making the long journey I hope the contract is secured tonight :chant6ez:

TheCulturalBomb     281

• TheCulturalBomb
  • Members
  • 697 posts

ID: 10   Posted 34 minutes ago · 

Kodjia and Odemwingie on the bench. Some of our best play comes from them, really baffling. 

Big Brother     700

• Big Brother
  • Members
  • 3,758 posts

ID: 11   Posted 31 minutes ago · 

Blackburn Rovers: Steele, Lowe, Ward, Hanley, Kilgallon, Marshall, Akpan, Mahoney, Evans, Gomez, Graham. Subs: Raya, Lenihan, Duffy, Bennett, Conway, Grimes, Jackson.

Bristol City: O’Donnell, Matthews, Flint, Baker, Golbourne, Smith, Pack, Reid, Tomlin, Bryan, Wilbraham. Subs: O’Leary, Pearce, Ayling, Wagstaff, Freeman, Odemwingie, Kodjia.

Referee: Mr T Robinson.

Offside     205

• Offside
  • Members
  • 470 posts

ID: 12   Posted 30 minutes ago · 

We have a realistic chance of getting something out of today's game but we need to improve on that second half display on Tuesday. COYR

• bristolcitysweden
  • OTIB Supporter
  • 11,835 posts

ID: 13   Posted 28 minutes ago · 

Would have prefered Kodjia or Odemwingie over Wilbraham. Donkey football out.

• EstoniaTallinnRed
  • OTIB Supporter
  • 2,303 posts

ID: 14   Posted 26 minutes ago · 

With this line up, does it look like the ball will be lumped up to Wilbs all the time?

Bat Fastard     228

• Bat Fastard
  • Members
  • 475 posts

ID: 15   Posted 25 minutes ago · 

Blackburn score a large proportion of their goals from set plays and Alby is good at defending!  As the defenders tire in the last 20 minutes - we will rip them apart!!  (I hope)

• bristolcitysweden
  • OTIB Supporter
  • 11,835 posts

ID: 16   Posted 25 minutes ago · 

Long balls on Wilbraham winning the odd free kick pushing Flint up on the free kick..

• bristolcitysweden
  • OTIB Supporter
  • 11,835 posts

ID: 17   Posted 23 minutes ago · 

Hopefully it will be total shit from both teams then

• EstoniaTallinnRed
  • OTIB Supporter
  • 2,303 posts

ID: 18   Posted 22 minutes ago · 

Let's just hope that LJ uses the subs wisely and at the correct time.

samo II     1,508

• samo II
  • Members
  • 3,609 posts

ID: 19   Posted 20 minutes ago (edited) ·