IGNORED

Kodija - Departs for 11 Million (Merged)

mozo

1 minute ago, Jonesie said:

Can see us going with the young Swedish lad and possibly waghorn and Abraham till Jan then spending if that doesn't work, Rhodes or assombolonga would cost at least what we have received for Kodjia and we wouldn't pay the £40k a week in wages both players would likely ask for

We don't have to pay that much in wages, it can be offset with large signing on fees.

The next 36 hours are going to be very interesting indeed and could define our season in many ways, certainly ours and the clubs views are on ambition.

One of the twitter transfer sites said yesterday at the prospect of selling Kodjia for such a juicy fee, BCFC intend to splash the cash.

I wait with baited breath.

When did we last sign a player who had such a massive impact, both on the pitch and financially so, in such a short space of time?

A year ago he was a complete unknown and a year later he's gone for £11m + which is absolutely astounding.

A big thanks and well done to JK for a fantastic first, and as it turns out, only season with us and all the best in the future. Perhaps a shame that his leaving is slightly soured if he was difficult in pushing for a move, but even so it is not unfair to suggest that his gaol were instrumental in keeping us up last season .

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

When did we last sign a player who had such a massive impact, both on the pitch and financially so, in such a short space of time?

A year ago he was a complete unknown and a year later he's gone for £11m + which is absolutely astounding.

A big thanks and well done to JK for a fantastic first, and as it turns out, only season with us and all the best in the future. Perhaps a shame that his leaving is slightly soured if he was difficult in pushing for a move, but even so it is not unfair to suggest that his gaol were instrumental in keeping us up last season .

He was in gaol ?  The naughty boy !

Anyway, he's gone now so upwards and onwards

5 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

We don't have to pay that much in wages, it can be offset with large signing on fees.

The next 36 hours are going to be very interesting indeed and could define our season in many ways, certainly ours and the clubs views are on ambition.

One of the twitter transfer sites said yesterday at the prospect of selling Kodjia for such a juicy fee, BCFC intend to splash the cash.

I wait with baited breath.

I would hope that's the case but as we seen with Tomlin that became quite a drawn out saga,  

as you state we have 36 hours to do this 1 big season defining deal, like you I wait in anticipation, just the realist In me sees us going with a couple of small price strikers until Jan, fingers crossed I'm proved wrong and Britt Assombolonga signs on .. That for me would really prove the ambition 

12 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

I have to say that whilst I'm grateful for his goals last season, I can't completely share in the good will. Mark Ashton says that we didn't want to sell. But Kodjia got distracted by the interest and agitated for a move. 

"We’ve continually told Jonathan that we don’t want him to go, but recently he’s made it clear that he’s aware of the interest of other clubs and that he wanted to leave."

Which leaves a sour taste. The erasing of City from his Instagram. Why? Was that really necessary? Another player having a strop for not getting his own way? I don't wish the guy ill but I can't wish him well either. He's been with us for one year. ONE YEAR! Don't think that warrants that much praise.

Did he ever give an interview? Stockhausen was saying last week that he never managed to interview him. 

The deal by the club is seriously unbelievable. An amazing piece of business. Kodjia is a decent player, but as I've said several times before, he's not that good, and from the evidence of this season, still needs to iron out all the familiar flaws. 

So, what type of reception do you think he deserves when we go to Villa?

1. Standing ovation.

2. Polite ovation.

3. Nothing. Ignored.

4. Booed. 

I'll be going for option 3. 

5. City fans wear stripy tops, berets and a string of onions round their necks and sing La Marseillaise when the players come out.

There is a lot of discussion around Aston Villa’s £15m capture of Bristol City strikerJonathan Kodjia. It is now being reported as an initial £11m with potential add-ons, but it still feels like a huge sum of money for a 27-year-old in the Championship. Villa now boast the two most expensive second-tier signings ever made, having bought the £12m Ross McCormack from Fulham earlier in the window.

“I’m sure plenty have written in with this but £15-17m gets you a 27 year old striker,” emails Sam Hedges. “One that has either proven themselves at Deportivo, or Bristol City. Surely that there is what is wrong with football? I know it’ll prove harder to get players to Villa, but still...”

1 minute ago, BarnzFM said:

11 million up front. That reason enough?

He is on record as saying an offer had to be at least £10 million and he'd only to sell to a Premiership club.  We sold to a championship club for £11m which to my mind says SL's word is only worth the £1 million.

15 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

I have to say that whilst I'm grateful for his goals last season, I can't completely share in the good will. Mark Ashton says that we didn't want to sell. But Kodjia got distracted by the interest and agitated for a move. 

"We’ve continually told Jonathan that we don’t want him to go, but recently he’s made it clear that he’s aware of the interest of other clubs and that he wanted to leave."

Which leaves a sour taste. The erasing of City from his Instagram. Why? Was that really necessary? Another player having a strop for not getting his own way? I don't wish the guy ill but I can't wish him well either. He's been with us for one year. ONE YEAR! Don't think that warrants that much praise.

Did he ever give an interview? Stockhausen was saying last week that he never managed to interview him. 

The deal by the club is seriously unbelievable. An amazing piece of business. Kodjia is a decent player, but as I've said several times before, he's not that good, and from the evidence of this season, still needs to iron out all the familiar flaws. 

So, what type of reception do you think he deserves when we go to Villa?

1. Standing ovation.

2. Polite ovation.

3. Nothing. Ignored.

4. Booed. 

I'll be going for option 3. 

3. He'll be in Africa. But 3 anyway even if he's not.

3 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Good luck to Kodja sorry to see him go. Great impact on club during his brief stay. Not sure Villa right club. But they were prepared 

to pay the money !!! Let's hope we invest the money well. Young and ambitious with the right DNA !! Kodja had that too 

Great bit of business what a fantastic window we have had is still more to come ?

Just now, Malago said:

He is on record as saying an offer had to be at least £10 million and he'd only to sell to a Premiership club.  We sold to a championship club for £11m which to my mind says SL's word is only worth the £1 million.

We've sold him for up to 15 million, I don't get why you are moaning. It's a great deal whichever league we sell to. Perhaps he said we wouldn't sell to certain clubs to push the price up?

1 minute ago, Jonesie said:

I would hope that's the case but as we seen with Tomlin that became quite a drawn out saga,  

as you state we have 36 hours to do this 1 big season defining deal, like you I wait in anticipation, just the realist In me sees us going with a couple of small price strikers until Jan, fingers crossed I'm proved wrong and Britt Assombolonga signs on .. That for me would really prove the ambition 

Think it might be dependant on how far forward we were in contingency planning for Kodjia's departure.

If his leaving was anticipated and expected early in the summer then we may well have targets where we have already been in discussion with clubs and may be able to trigger a signing or two very quickly. If not then we may have players targeted as replacements but only  started the ball rolling as Kodjia's leaving became ever more likely a couple of weeks ago, but it might be more difficult to get deals over the line in this type of case because we are now so close to deadline day.

If the latter, then perhaps we might see a decent loan signing or two  and permanent signings worked on ready for the January window. 

Archived