IGNORED

The Semenyo Thread - Now a Bournemouth Player. Deal Confirmed

10 minutes ago, Selred said:

No one has said the plan for next season is promotion 

“Build”. I’m not saying we can keep Semenyo with our current finances etc but in future we’ve got start treating these key young players like big signings and pay them as if they were.

Thrown 20k a week at players like Palmer and Wells, would be better spent on Semenyo and Scott.

3 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

I thought the idea was to build a team/squad that would in time be able to challenge at the top end of the table. I did not imagine it would be next season. 

Yes but we have no money. So we need to sell players and invest wisely. 
Until we see who we sign with the money, we can’t say it’s pie in the sky. I have far more confidence under NP than Ashton 

• Like 1

Do wonder about some people and their understanding of what decides a transfer fee.  

He has 1 year plus a 1 year option that we have exercised or will exercise.  We are therefore in no hurry to sell.  The idea that we will accept £8 million in that scenario is laughable.  We paid that for our centre half!

If he goes for under £20 million I will be really disappointed in the club.   If he has a decent season he will fetch £15 million.  A good season a lot more.  You can't coach a lot of what he has but you can coach him to use what he has more effectively which a side like West Ham will probably do.....

Edited by The Bard
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Selred said:

Yes but we have no money. So we need to sell players and invest wisely. 
Until we see who we sign with the money, we can’t say it’s pie in the sky. I have far more confidence under NP than Ashton 

Like you I have more confidence in NP than Ashton. But to find a replacement for Semenyo with the financial constraints we have will be very very difficult.

20 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Like you I have more confidence in NP than Ashton. But to find a replacement for Semenyo with the financial constraints we have will be very very difficult.

If Semenyo were to leave, I imagine the fee would be sufficiently big that we wouldn't really be a "club with financial constraints" anymore.

It would be tough to find a replacement though - mainly because Semenyo's balance of attributes is fairly rare.

I'm really hoping he stays.

• Like 3

If he is sold, and the financial shackles are lifted due to the sale, I wonder if we could go in for someone like siriki dembele from Bournemouth or be able to compete financially for the free signature of ebiowie with the offer of first team football more likely.

there really aren’t many out there I can think of that would match the attributes that semenyo provides our team. Very hard to replace, but something we will have to do eventually

He'll be a big loss that's for sure. Let's hope that we can keep hold of Alex Scott, with him playing further up the pitch next year hopefully he'll be able to give us that bit more creativity from midfield. It will be time to see if Mark Sykes is able to make the step up and fill the gap semenyo will leave..

It’s one of these random type of tweets that seems most reliable, obviously we have no idea on the reliability of these 2 guys but they look like official national team reporters and that will give them good source of knowledge. Being allowed to leave camp early “to sort Bristol City future” dosnt look good….

Semenyo was always going to be the one player we sell that would be hard to replace, but because of his characteristic’s he going to be wanted by many Prem clubs and it’s gonna take a big offer for anything to be accepted at this early stage in window. 

I’d say it’s got to be 15mil upfront with various add ons taking closer to 20min, but it trust club will be prepared and have someone (or 2) in mind 

8 hours ago, The Bard said:

Do wonder about some people and their understanding of what decides a transfer fee.  

You seem confident that you do so let’s hope you are correct and it’s closer to £20m.  A team rumoured to be interested in Semenyo, Crystal Palace, signed Eze for £16m but he had been performing well at this level for longer than Semenyo, who I would say has only been showing what he can truly do for 6 months.  Olise is a better comparison and he went for £8m and I believe he had the same length of contact left as Semenyo does. 

If we sell him now I think it will be closer to £10m than £20m and will include sell ons and add ons to get closer to £15-17m.   Guess we will see….

All depends on how we reinvest the money. Even if we did get £20m it's easy to piss that away. So many times we've seen clubs (including us) say that a big fee helps bring in 2-4 good players to spread across the squad; IMO I've seen that happen as many times as it hasn't. 

Would much prefer him to stay, but at the end of the day there is a pecking order in football, and no matter our ambitions; we just finished 17th in the 2nd tier.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, The Bard said:

He has 1 year plus a 1 year option that we have exercised or will exercise.  We are therefore in no hurry to sell.  The idea that we will accept £8 million in that scenario is laughable.  We paid that for our centre half!

If he goes for under £20 million I will be really disappointed in the club.   If he has a decent season he will fetch £15 million.  A good season a lot more.  You can't coach a lot of what he has but you can coach him to use what he has more effectively which a side like West Ham will probably do.....

I think you’ll be disappointed then, though reading this back, did you mean £10m?

He will want to go, as he’s going to want to test himself in the Prem, plus the situation is a lot like the one with Bobby Reid, in that he’s very near the bottom of our wage structure, so the difference in the sort of sum he’ll be offered (as opposed to any new contract with us) will be vast.

I expect all 3 promoted sides to be after him, maybe one or two more (though doubtful re West Ham) & that he’ll go for somewhere around £12m, with add ons taking it nearer to £14m if he then does well. 

I would just say that a few years ago I didn’t think he’d make it at Championship level (& certainly wasn’t alone) & he’s only scored 10 goals in the Championship so far, though would have expected him to get more than that next season.

Edited by GrahamC

37 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

You seem confident that you do so let’s hope you are correct and it’s closer to £20m.  A team rumoured to be interested in Semenyo, Crystal Palace, signed Eze for £16m but he had been performing well at this level for longer than Semenyo, who I would say has only been showing what he can truly do for 6 months.  Olise is a better comparison and he went for £8m and I believe he had the same length of contact left as Semenyo does. 

If we sell him now I think it will be closer to £10m than £20m and will include sell ons and add ons to get closer to £15-17m.   Guess we will see….

Olise had a £8m release clause in his contract. He should have been worth far more. 

I think we will get over £10m for Semenyo, Pearson will be very clear that the money needs to be right in order to sell him. 

However, if rumours are to be believed and a number of clubs are interested in signing him, then we could end up pushing more towards the £15m range. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Hoping Gregor is right, but a Ghanaian photographer has certainly triggered me with this one…sod! ?

If he goes, he sorts P&S in one go, and leaves money over too.  So, that is a positive, but everything else would be a bummer!

Is it too early to run the figures for a potential replacement in the lower leagues? :(

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Oh I didn't realise Steve Walsh manged liecester and had a mark ashton role there

I know you are being sarcastic but he was the chief scout who identified Vardy, Mahrez, Kante etc. Pearson would have held talks to convince him to join Leicester but didn't 'find' him ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Bard said:

As a comparison: Emmanuel Dennis is being sought by Brentford, who value him around the £20 million mark. He scored 12 Premier League goals and bagged a further 6 assists. 

This would suggest that Semenyo would be more realistically priced around the £15 million plus add ons mark to me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

If he does go, I think it’ll be the player I’ll be most disappointed about for many years. Not that I’d begrudge him the move, just that I’ve really enjoyed watching his development.

It’s rare to find a player with such athleticism and (ever increasing) end product. His goal against Fulham where he held off two players with sheer pace and strength is one of my favourite City goals for a long time.

Absolutely. Think back to that raw youngster that got sent off v Derby really not all that long ago. I remember times too when he just looked lost on the pitch and thinking would he ever make it?

• Like 2