IGNORED

Local Non League Thread 2022-23

Silvio Dante

16 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

:facepalm:

image.thumb.png.4199cd5115a6618f00c4e4d9285d419f.png

I've just seen the same thing.

Unfortunately, they lost 5-3 on penalties - just in case you were wondering.

NATIONAL LEAGUE NORTH

PLAY-OFF QUARTER-FINALS

• Brackley Town2Gloucester City2
    AET

Gloucester City win 0-0 on penalties

• Admin
13 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I've just seen the same thing.

Unfortunately, they lost 5-3 on penalties - just in case you were wondering.

NATIONAL LEAGUE NORTH

PLAY-OFF QUARTER-FINALS

• Brackley Town2Gloucester City2
    AET

Gloucester City win 0-0 on penalties

Screenshot_20230503_234127_Flashscore.jpg

Must've watched 20 games across Hellenic/Toolstation Level & another 20+ at Somerset County level this season.

Found it really enjoyable. The standard is obviously miles off of what you'd get down the gate, but you do still spot the odd player from time to time & games seem to have a bit more bite to them. 

Not seen it mentioned but Nailsea & Tickenham got promoted again to Toolstation Prem after a promotion last season from Somerset County Prem which is impressive. Oldland Abbotonians joined them the other day after winning the play offs. 

Saw Ashton & Backwell are dropping down two leagues back into Somerset County Prem & that potentially Nailsea & Tickenham will be using their ground next season. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

Must've watched 20 games across Hellenic/Toolstation Level & another 20+ at Somerset County level this season.

Found it really enjoyable. The standard is obviously miles off of what you'd get down the gate, but you do still spot the odd player from time to time & games seem to have a bit more bite to them. 

Not seen it mentioned but Nailsea & Tickenham got promoted again to Toolstation Prem after a promotion last season from Somerset County Prem which is impressive. Oldland Abbotonians joined them the other day after winning the play offs. 

Saw Ashton & Backwell are dropping down two leagues back into Somerset County Prem & that potentially Nailsea & Tickenham will be using their ground next season. 

@Carey 6

Got to say Nailsea and Tick have played a blinder here.

Their ground is part of the area designated for redevelopment by North Somerset Council. As such the Council would have to compulsory purchase it, and replace it with another ground to the same/higher standard.

Cue N&T, developing their old ground at a huge rate, safe in the knowledge that they will get a brand new one, with new facilities costing far more than they have currently invested.

Sad to see Ashton & Backwell drop two divisions, as a Clevedon United Committee member, I know all about reaching beyond your means. When we played Toolstation at the Hand Stadium it nearly bankrupted us. We've bought it all in house at Coleridge now, and it's a lot more manageable. Only have to look at Bitton, for an example of unsustainable ambition.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, MattWSM said:

,Would be good if they can join the West Country teams in NLS, recall they played in the South a few yrs back

If anything the teams coming down from the NL makes it less likely for a while. Torquay, Yeovil and Maidstone will all go into the South and Scunthorpe into the North, meaning that there's likely to be more movement from South to North.

31 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

If anything the teams coming down from the NL makes it less likely for a while. Torquay, Yeovil and Maidstone will all go into the South and Scunthorpe into the North, meaning that there's likely to be more movement from South to North.

Think the team that has to go from South to North will be one of Oxford City (if they're not promoted, that is), Bishop's Stortford or Billericay. Not ideal really for any of them given some of the northerly outposts they'll be travelling to. 

• Like 1

Worth noting on the Western L1 allocations, Cadbury Heath took voluntary relegation. I am told that  it seemed to make much more financial sense to drop a league and cut travel expenses considerably than it did to stay in the Prem, for prides sake, and face another season of crippling costs due to travelling so far south on a regular basis. 

• Like 1

At level six, I see FC Bristol have been moved sideways from WL1 to HL1. If they had stayed where they were there's at least eight Bristol(ish) teams they'd be playing next season.

Over the last few years several have posted on here about off field troubles for Truro, yet they've won promotion to Nat Lge S.

Not too sure a reserve side should be allowed to play above county league tbh. 

Quite a few complaints about Bitton going straight into Div 1 as well.

Strange that they’d opt for 19 teams in the Prem. Why not just leave Keynsham where they were? Mind you, they probably don’t fancy the away days at Helston, Torpoint & Falmouth much.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

My late father always used to joke that anything past Gloucester was considered the 'North'...however this is quite incredible. ?

My dad set "The North" as beginning at Painswick :laughcont:

Bishop Stortford drew the short straw here; had Oxford City not won promotion from the National League South, it looked as if they'd be shifted into the NL North.  No wonder they played so well to avoid that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A fewseasons back Gloucester were in NL North whilst Worcester were in NL South.

I queries this geograsphic oddity to be told that once a team had been placed in N or S, it wouldremain therefor at least three years.

Before Div 4 was formed we had Div 3 N & Div 3 S. Each year the League would put a ruler on the map to divide 24 Northern and 24 Southern teams. Coventry, Walsall & Grimsby have plyed in Div 3 N & S as result.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I maybe missing something here, but if the National League South teams are all south of Gloucester City and Bishops Stortford, that’s just how it is.  I did see a pic of the NLS map and they all were.

I feel it's a bit tough on a non-league club like Gloucester that they have to travel extensively to teams that are - Hereford excepted - mainly a bloomin' long way away.  I mean to go to Blyth Spartans they probably face a round trip of more than 500 miles. 

At the same time, if they were in NLS, they'd have reasonable derbies with Bath, Chippenham, Hungerford and other tasty fixtures with the large number of West Country clubs now in that division.

It's just unfortunate that the way things balance out means a club from Gloucs and one from Hertfordshire have to play in a league with the majority of its clubs in Yorkshire, Lancashire and Northumberland. 

• Like 3