IGNORED

Local Non League Thread 2022-23

Silvio Dante

20 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Bitton have resigned from the Toolstation Western League. Seems they were living beyond their means. Sad, as they had a good few years - FA Vase semi-finalists a couple of years back?

Yep, they were signing players from Manor Farm, Frome, Paulton's  etc league. I know some of the players they signed from Paulton and they were on really good money for that standard. Like you say living well beyond their means.

This just goes to show the importance of supporting your local club, if you want to keep grass roots football alive.

Clubs like Bitton depend heavily on a handful of individuals who dig deep to keep their beloved club afloat, and these people should be applauded  however without us  fans actually paying an entrance fee, enjoying a pint or scoffing a pie, then one by one these clubs will simply slide down the pyramid and sadly we will inevitably lose a few along the way. 

If you have ever enjoyed a match at your local club then I strongly urge you to pop along again, and pay the five or six quid to be entertained, chuck a couple of quid in the raffle bucket and buy a pint or three. You can have a great Saturday afternoon (or midweek night) for a lot less than you might think plus it keeps the local scene alive. I for one cant go to Reading this weekend so I will be heading to Cadbury Heath FC for my football fix

• Like 4

8 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Chippenham town went through to the 1st Round of the FA cup earlier this week. Good to see the Hendon players taking their defeat well by throwing all their toys out of the pram. 

I know one of the officials from that game, he summed it up as “carnage”..

No issues in the game until after the final whistle went!.

31 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I know one of the officials from that game, he summed it up as “carnage”..

No issues in the game until after the final whistle went!.

Was a fairly clean game with no sign of aggro until after the final whistle when the Hendon number 14 got booked then started going after the Chippenham managerial team and players. As you stated carnage ensued.

• Like 1

Latest from Yate…

Olly Mehew has joined Tiverton meaning every single player from the club last season has now moved on, together with the DOF, kitman and commercial manager. 

Beadle given vote of confidence by the chairman last night.

City recalling Omar Taylor-Clarke early and with Prince Henry now featuring in the U21 when Yate have games signs they’re not happy with what’s happening with him either.

The club is in total crisis as far as I can see.

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Latest from Yate…

Olly Mehew has joined Tiverton meaning every single player from the club last season has now moved on, together with the DOF, kitman and commercial manager. 

Beadle given vote of confidence by the chairman last night.

City recalling Omar Taylor-Clarke early and with Prince Henry now featuring in the U21 when Yate have games signs they’re not happy with what’s happening with him either.

The club is in total crisis as far as I can see.

I noticed that the vote of confidence in the manager statement came out before the statement that Mehew was also leaving for Tiverton.

I spoke to the Chairman, Colin, briefly during the week and half jokingly said ' have you decided to get rid of the manager yet'...the reply was the standard...' he's looking to get more players in'.

Like you say, they look in Crisis.

It's got to be more than money... something is drastically wrong. My guess is it's the manager.

Just now, spudski said:

I noticed that the vote of confidence in the manager statement came out before the statement that Mehew was also leaving for Tiverton.

I spoke to the Chairman, Colin, briefly during the week and half jokingly said ' have you decided to get rid of the manager yet'...the reply was the standard...' he's looking to get more players in'.

Like you say, they look in Crisis.

It's got to be more than money... something is drastically wrong. My guess is it's the manager.

I had a couple of chats pre season with people who’d know and the inference was that Beadle wasn’t entirely in it for the right reasons and there was a question over how money was being used and where it was going. 

I think everyone expected a downturn with Michael going, and losing players at that level is always going to happen but an entire team - and not all to the same place - is a real alarm bell. Sam Kamara was a bit of a red flag - was asked where he was and the answer was ‘he can’t commit due to work but may be available’. Thompson going was the second red flag. Right now, I’d agree the only thing that moves things on is getting rid of Beadle 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I had a couple of chats pre season with people who’d know and the inference was that Beadle wasn’t entirely in it for the right reasons and there was a question over how money was being used and where it was going. 

I think everyone expected a downturn with Michael going, and losing players at that level is always going to happen but an entire team - and not all to the same place - is a real alarm bell. Sam Kamara was a bit of a red flag - was asked where he was and the answer was ‘he can’t commit due to work but may be available’. Thompson going was the second red flag. Right now, I’d agree the only thing that moves things on is getting rid of Beadle 

I agree totally. The dugout area looks the unhappiest every week. Thomo, Thorny and Gary leaving really stood out to me. Yate through and through. I've also heard grumblings about how money was being used, a fair whack and to one person. It all points in one direction. The sad thing is, people will stop going to watch. It'll hit them hard financially. 

• Like 1

No big surprise, we think we have problems Yate are an absolute mess of a club more departures than from Temple Meads . Wouldn’t be sending them any loan players . 

Every time I read their news something negative is going on , can see them dropping fairly quickly unless they get new leadership .

On another non league note what a shambles at Bitton who without warning have pulled out of western premier league .

The club have thrown money away the last few years on overpaid star players and were bottom of the league . Why didn’t the chairman give up control and get someone in rather than fold the team . 

1 hour ago, Redar me said:

The club have thrown money away the last few years on overpaid star players and were bottom of the league

Genuine Q - how much does a "star" player get at somewhere like Bitton? I had seen that lots of trips to Devon & Cornwall was putting quite a strain on lots of clubs in non-league but whether that included Bitton I'm not sure. 

21 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Genuine Q - how much does a "star" player get at somewhere like Bitton? I had seen that lots of trips to Devon & Cornwall was putting quite a strain on lots of clubs in non-league but whether that included Bitton I'm not sure. 

I know one lad there who was on £200 & he wasnt their highest earner. There’s some serious money being thrown around in the tool station at the moment.  Yes there are teams in Cornwall such as Mousehole and who I’ve seen this season & who were decent. Keynsham refused to travel there on a Tuesday night & cited Manchester was closer!! It’s reverting back to regional next season 

Edited by Shuffle
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

I know one lad there who was on £200 & he wasnt their highest earner. There’s some serious money being thrown around in the tool station at the moment.  Yes there are teams in Cornwall such as Mousehole and who I’ve seen this season & who were decent. Keynsham refused to travel there on a Tuesday night & cited Manchester was closer!! It’s reverting back to regional next season 

Thanks - I presume that's £200 a game? Very decent money for that level. 

13 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

The problem is there’s also clubs at that level that pay bugger all and asking lads to go to Devon and Cornwall on a Saturday on a semi-regular basis for the love of playing football is probably a bit much tbf.

Paying £200 in the Toolstation when there are plenty in the Southern League on significantly less is also downright stupidity.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Redar me said:

No big surprise, we think we have problems Yate are an absolute mess of a club more departures than from Temple Meads . Wouldn’t be sending them any loan players . 

Every time I read their news something negative is going on , can see them dropping fairly quickly unless they get new leadership .

On another non league note what a shambles at Bitton who without warning have pulled out of western premier league .

The club have thrown money away the last few years on overpaid star players and were bottom of the league . Why didn’t the chairman give up control and get someone in rather than fold the team . 

I heard some stories about Bitton from someone whose son was sent on loan there by the Gas last season.  Good young player who, despite assurances, never got on the pitch.  Manager was all matey with players who got picked.  Sounded very amateur.  He left soon after and went to another club in same league, straight in the side and performing really well.

38 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Mousehole has a very professional set up and the owners are tipping the money in it.  Which seems bizarre if you know Mousehole - it's a small coastal village round the corner from Penzance with a load of holiday homes and elderly residents.

"Regional" however tends to assume that the country is a narrow strip.  I know the chap who used to drive the Truro City supporters' minibus and he worked out the mileages each season to give  a rough budget for fuel.  He calculated that the mileage for Truro being in Conference South was actually higher than for their being in Conference North.

The long trips in the South were to Kent and East Anglia and were much further than to the Midlands teams of the Conference North.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I heard some stories about Bitton from someone whose son was sent on loan there by the Gas last season.  Good young player who, despite assurances, never got on the pitch.  Manager was all matey with players who got picked.  Sounded very amateur.  He left soon after and went to another club in same league, straight in the side and performing really well.

Something has gone badly wrong at Bitton as they didn’t even make it to Torpoint recently as minibus driver kicked them out at gordano for being too rowdy. 

The Toolstation has always had a two tier system of those that over pay & those that don’t. Players jump from club to club for money but who can blame them

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Mousehole has a very professional set up and the owners are tipping the money in it.  Which seems bizarre if you know Mousehole - it's a small coastal village round the corner from Penzance with a load of holiday homes and elderly residents.

"Regional" however tends to assume that the country is a narrow strip.  I know the chap who used to drive the Truro City supporters' minibus and he worked out the mileages each season to give  a rough budget for fuel.  He calculated that the mileage for Truro being in Conference South was actually higher than for their being in Conference North.

The long trips in the South were to Kent and East Anglia and were much further than to the Midlands teams of the Conference North.

I’ve  watched Mousehole recently & they were very good Turned up in the Cornish Pirates luxury coach. The money comes I believe from camping/caravan park that over looks the ground. God knows what their budget is as told they had 2 lads from Leeds playing for them. Good side though

• Like 1

I hate to sound like an old fart, but the Western league isn't what it was and I think much of that is the money that can get chucked around at that level. When I was younger, the league was of a standard that players could be taken from that level and relatively easily slip into the pro game. Off the top of my head , Rovers got Paul Randall, Gary Penrice, Nicky  Tanner, Phil Purnell and Nigel Martyn from that-or similar- levels.  Western League clubs were established at that level and there wasn't really too much movement among the pyramid (if it was even in place back then) In relatively recent times it has become possible for teams with ambition (and money) to shoot for the stars - I remember Bitton being a Bristol & District side and Forest Green Rovers being Western League (possibly even County League?). 

I used to be involved with AEK Boco, who as AEK Rangers were just a parks football side, but once the merger with the kids side (Boco) came about, there was an injection of cash and that added with the ambition of some dedicated people, the senior side are now Western league with a large clubhouse and floodlights. Now they, like most other clubs at that level, have a relatively high turnover of players as young lads chase the money , and who can blame them with the cost of rent and mortgages?

As long as there is the money at this level, there will be more clubs like Yate, Bitton and Mangotsfield who soar too high and come crashing back down.

Even happens at local rugby now.

• Like 9
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Shuffle said:

Something has gone badly wrong at Bitton as they didn’t even make it to Torpoint recently as minibus driver kicked them out at gordano for being too rowdy. 

The Toolstation has always had a two tier system of those that over pay & those that don’t. Players jump from club to club for money but who can blame them

Back when we were playing Shuffs the Western League big spenders were Tiverton, Taunton and Mangotsfield (all playing a higher level now)…and I think they had the locale, backing and grounds to resource it, albeit likely local businesses funding it ultimately.

The problem comes when that backing disappears.

Money came into Brislington (after I left) and I think it changed the whole fabric of the club, from being “one club” to a first team with mercenaries and the rest of the club.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Back when we were playing Shuffs the Western League big spenders were Tiverton, Taunton and Mangotsfield (all playing a higher level now)…and I think they had the locale, backing and grounds to resource it, albeit likely local businesses funding it ultimately.

The problem comes when that backing disappears.

Money came into Brislington (after I left) and I think it changed the whole fabric of the club, from being “one club” to a first team with mercenaries and the rest of the club.

Never understood chucking money around at these levels Dave - What ‘dream’ are you ‘chasing’ ?

Unless you are a Club , with a serious sustainable plan to reach the Football League (A pipe dream in %99 of cases) .....why ?

By all means aim to improve , get promoted , but to do it by throwing silly money around is crazy 

Like virtually all football , you don’t make money , even in progressing , or not for very long at best

If you have a good local club , part of the community , be as good at that as you can be and try and provide good football , a local focal point and social / football centre for players and supporters alike

• Like 6