IGNORED

Local Non League Thread 2022-23

Silvio Dante

1 hour ago, freezer said:

BBC Sport reporting he crashed into advertising hoardings, not concrete. 

Either way, thoughts with him, family, teammates and friends. 

Really hope he makes a full recovery and the club make changes so it can't happen again. If they can. As if, for example, an opposition player exerts great force on a player near the touchline at speed, then said players can travel a significant distance outside of the playing area. 

I’m not quite sure what the club can do about the distance between the pitch and advertising hoardings? Short of moving all 4 stands back 10 meters?

Twerton Park was built in 1909, I doubt this is the first time domes hurt themselves coming off the side of the pitch, maybe it is to the seriousness this lad has, but I don’t think the answer is rebuild every stadium.

Terrible incident, hope he pulls through!

Easy to say in hindsight but health and safety reviews are needed at non-league grounds to insure player safety, easy to say but having played at Twerton and numerous non league grounds over the years it always crossed my mind as a player how easy it could be to plough uncontrollably into a concrete wall or floor next to the pitch! 

• Like 4

Best wishes for Alex Fletcher, terribly sad.

Going back to the OP non league football gives good value and tremendous entertainment and you can have a beer stood on the terraces! 

City fans. Please support all local clubs during World Cup. I personally have seen some tremendous entertainment at Clevedon Town and Nailsea and Tickenham this season

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

From Twitter this morning:

”It is with deep regret that AFC Brislington have been forced to fold and withdraw from the Somerset County league with immediate effect.

The club would like to thank the supporters, management and most importantly the players that have been committed to the club over the years.”

Not good! Another local club folding!

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

From Twitter this morning:

”It is with deep regret that AFC Brislington have been forced to fold and withdraw from the Somerset County league with immediate effect.

The club would like to thank the supporters, management and most importantly the players that have been committed to the club over the years.”

Not good! Another local club folding!

Is that the whole club, I thought the first team were in a higher part of the pyramid???

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Is that the whole club, I thought the first team were in a higher part of the pyramid???

It’s AFC Brislington who play on opposite site of ironmould lane to Toolstation team.  Real shame as got a great set up there but clubs not connected.

Edited by Shuffle
  • Thanks 1

• Admin
Alex FletcherStriker Alex Fletcher was injured in the early stages of the game

The family of a footballer who suffered a serious head injury during a game say he is "showing small signs of improvement".

Bath City striker Alex Fletcher was admitted into intensive care on 8 November after colliding with advertising hoardings.

The 23-year-old underwent emergency neurosurgery at Southmead Hospital in Bristol.

He remains in critical condition in intensive care.

In a statement tweeted by the football club his parents said: "Alex remains in a critical condition in intensive care but is starting to show small signs of improvement.

"The care and treatment he is receiving from the doctors and nurses is beyond words, and the love, support and messages of goodwill that the whole football world has sent to Alex has been completely overwhelming.

"We sincerely thank each and everyone for sending them and we pray that Alex will continue to make progress in the days ahead."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 07/11/2022 at 21:30, Silvio Dante said:

It was a lot better, but by god that was two poor defences and GK! Tooze is clearly a good signing once available and thought Lewis looked good when he came on but definite leaky bucket at the back.

Someone get Andy Hannah back from travelling!

Tooze has scored a couple tonight, 3-0 up away to Bracknell.

• Like 2

I've posted before on this topic but there is great entertainment in non league football for the next month (and beyond) 

I've regularly visited (amongst others) Clevedon Town, Ashton and Backwell, Nailsea and Tickenham and Weston. Nice little grounds and you can have a Beer on the terraces watching the game. You'll get a warm welcome 

They need your support more than ever in these difficult times for non league. Entry is always reasonable. Even though I'm a South stand season ticket holder I've seen some really entertaining non league games this season 

PS having watched Gianni Infantino on TV just now what a complete tool in charge of a corrupt organisation 

Edited by Always red
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Robin 1

4 hours ago, Always red said:

I've posted before on this topic but there is great entertainment in non league football for the next month (and beyond) 

I've regularly visited (amongst others) Clevedon Town, Ashton and Backwell, Nailsea and Tickenham and Weston. Nice little grounds and you can have a Beer on the terraces watching the game. You'll get a warm welcome 

They need your support more than ever in these difficult times for non league. Entry is always reasonable. Even though I'm a South stand season ticket holder I've seen some really entertaining non league games this season 

PS having watched Gianni Infantino on TV just now what a complete tool in charge of a corrupt organisation 

I remember over the years I have watched, on occasions and depending where I been living.

Clevedon Town, Bath, Trowbridge Town, Crawley (when non league), Weston.

And did enjoy the small ground experience. Nice you can drink on the terraces. But I been sober for over Four years now . So bit pointless these days ??

After 40 years of watching City home and away ( roughly 75 away league grounds) I can 100% say that I now prefer watching non league football.

Pay your fiver or tenner, have a drink, no hassle, no jobsworth stewards, no posturing on the terraces, stand where you want, no hassle parking, more entertainment on the pitch, no falling over when touched, and very little diving and cheating. 
What’s not to like!.

• Like 2

Hadn’t realised Clevedon Town had dropped so many levels and are now in the Vase. 

Can’t work out why they are in it, for they seem to be a higher level than Hallen and Brislington as an example. Have the leagues been restructured and that’s the competition they have to play in?

If you are looking for some live football to watch. Yate Town are home to Weston tomorrow night. It's forecast dry.

Usually a fiesty affair.

Yate have seemingly turned their season around since the awful appointment of Beale.

New local management team, some new players, fans totally behind the club, good feeling back. Playing better football. 4 points from last two away games and 2 clean sheets, which is some turnaround, considering they were leaking for fun before.

Weston second in the league and won last 6 games.

Hoping for a cracker.

Always fun under the lights, and for a tenner, what's not to like ?

• Like 1

On 19/11/2022 at 23:16, Portland Bill said:

After 40 years of watching City home and away ( roughly 75 away league grounds) I can 100% say that I now prefer watching non league football.

Pay your fiver or tenner, have a drink, no hassle, no jobsworth stewards, no posturing on the terraces, stand where you want, no hassle parking, more entertainment on the pitch, no falling over when touched, and very little diving and cheating. 
What’s not to like!.

Went to Manor Farm Melksham saturaday.

My legs still work I can stand and walk.

I could walk around the ground.

No bouncing mind.

But the freedom none of the you cant do that there and stand there only where we tell you to do that and where. 

Lived again the fantasy of attempting to head wayward shots behind the goal.

Stood on the side observed the local Farmyard yoot with decked out in joggers and attempted imitation badge on the arm jackets..

On the second lap of the pitch men were seen indulging in that working class past time smoking. 

Three quid for  a pint for Thatchers .. I nearly gave up decades of teetotalism to a have a pint by the pitch.

So much to like while Ashton Gate has become so much meh.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Hadn’t realised Clevedon Town had dropped so many levels and are now in the Vase. 

Can’t work out why they are in it, for they seem to be a higher level than Hallen and Brislington as an example. Have the leagues been restructured and that’s the competition they have to play in?

Western League clubs and below go in the Vase. Clevedon are in the Western League prem, Bridlington and Hallet in Western League 1.

2 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Western League clubs and below go in the Vase. Clevedon are in the Western League prem, Bridlington and Hallet in Western League 1.

Thanks, they have dropped a few levels, surprised Mangotsfield was in there as well. Is that the old Toolstation/screwfix league now.