IGNORED

Local Non League Thread 2022-23

Silvio Dante

• Admin

Weston back in action tonight at home to 16th place Winchester and in form Bracknell are away at 8th placed Hayes

Both will be looking to take advantage of Truro losing at North Leigh at the weekend after both their games were postponed

Yate are finished - 9 points from safety with only 4 games to play, they will certainly be down before Easter is over

• Like 2

• Admin
1 hour ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

2-0 Gateshead currently - Yeovil and Torquay really in the brown stuff now 

Lost 4-0

That really is the epitome of a long way for nothing (especially on a Tuesday night) 

Torquay and Yeovil need promotion form to survive 

Both are gone barring a footballing miracle 

Screenshot_20230404_220540_Flashscore.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, phantom said:

Bracknell just played their first of FIVE back to back games 

Screenshot_20230404_220106_Flashscore.jpg

Crikey! That’s what they call gruelling.

what a sad time for West Country football with both Yeovil and Torquay facing the drop into sixth tier and regional football. Hopefully Plymouth won’t balls it up and at least we’ll have a local team join us in the championship.

17 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Crikey! That’s what they call gruelling.

what a sad time for West Country football with both Yeovil and Torquay facing the drop into sixth tier and regional football. Hopefully Plymouth won’t balls it up and at least we’ll have a local team join us in the championship.

Exeter holding their own in League 1 too. I thought they might struggle this season but are comfortably mid table.

21 hours ago, phantom said:

Bracknell just played their first of FIVE back to back games 

Screenshot_20230404_220106_Flashscore.jpg

Imagine what Klopp or Guardiola would be like if they had anything like this fixture list and their squads are probably triple the size of Bracknell's. The Bracknell players will probably have to go to work for quite a few days during this period as well.     

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Exeter holding their own in League 1 too. I thought they might struggle this season but are comfortably mid table.

They’ve done really well. I had a sneaking feeling they’d do ok and had a bet with an Exeter fan who watches Somerset. He was certain they would finish bottom 5 and was hoping for one place above the drop. I said they’d be mid table so it’ll be nice to see him tomorrow. I’m not sure I would have been so confident if I’d known they’d lose their manager so early on. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ralphindevon said:

They’ve done really well. I had a sneaking feeling they’d do ok and had a bet with an Exeter fan who watches Somerset. He was certain they would finish bottom 5 and was hoping for one place above the drop. I said they’d be mid table so it’ll be nice to see him tomorrow. I’m not sure I would have been so confident if I’d known they’d lose their manager so early on. 

Enjoy tomorrow.

I hope the weather is kind.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Exeter seem to be a really well run club. I haven't checked on them for a while, but I remember Steve Perry man was with them, not sure if still there. His influence in recruitment seemed very influential. 

With a bit of investment I think they could do even better. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Enjoy tomorrow.

I hope the weather is kind.

Cheers, it’s forecast to be not too bad but the ground has been so saturated lately, wettest March for decades, it could really have done without today’s rain. I’m expecting a delayed start. 

3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

What happened with Yate then? New guy came in and they were doing OK but now lost so many in a row? Worse than under Beadle.

Condensed version...At beginning of season the majority of the squad and manager left after doing well last season. Money talked with some players, manager wanted to be nearer home. 

Beadle came in...and the whole club changed.

Fans, players, staff all disliked his influence. Football was crap... literally worst I've seen in many years. It became toxic. 

Players left, staff left, fans were pissed off. 

Beadle went...Chairman resigned. Some staff returned. Fans were behind the club again. 

New manager and assistant, local lad, previous history etc etc. 

Basically no players left of this standard. Lots of enthusiasm. A turnover of various players from different teams and leagues joining. 

A downward spiral ...even though they tried to play football, instead of hoof ball under Beadle. 

Some players gave up when relegation seemed imminent. 

It's just been a shit show all season. 

Sadly...Yate don't have the money to compete continuously at this level. They batted well above their station last season. Players moved on for better money. They were left with pretty much nothing at the beginning of the season. 

It was always going to be a survival season...but Beadle really didn't help. 

It was shocking...and he was so dismissive of the club and fans. I wouldn't wish him on any club. 

A bad appointment. 

For all its negatives this season, and it's faults...at least it feels like a club still attached to it's fan base and town, however everyone is still disappointed. 

That's the very basic answer.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

Condensed version...At beginning of season the majority of the squad and manager left after doing well last season. Money talked with some players, manager wanted to be nearer home. 

Beadle came in...and the whole club changed.

Fans, players, staff all disliked his influence. Football was crap... literally worst I've seen in many years. It became toxic. 

Players left, staff left, fans were pissed off. 

Beadle went...Chairman resigned. Some staff returned. Fans were behind the club again. 

New manager and assistant, local lad, previous history etc etc. 

Basically no players left of this standard. Lots of enthusiasm. A turnover of various players from different teams and leagues joining. 

A downward spiral ...even though they tried to play football, instead of hoof ball under Beadle. 

Some players gave up when relegation seemed imminent. 

It's just been a shit show all season. 

Sadly...Yate don't have the money to compete continuously at this level. They batted well above their station last season. Players moved on for better money. They were left with pretty much nothing at the beginning of the season. 

It was always going to be a survival season...but Beadle really didn't help. 

It was shocking...and he was so dismissive of the club and fans. I wouldn't wish him on any club. 

A bad appointment. 

For all its negatives this season, and it's faults...at least it feels like a club still attached to it's fan base and town, however everyone is still disappointed. 

That's the very basic answer.

Thanks Spudski, I know a lot of the above but you obviously have a bigger insight.

What specifically has changed from Nov/Dec/Jan when they were really in decent form to now losing 11 in a row?

2 hours ago, Club and Country said:

Be a good league that next year national league south from a neutral point of view 

Absolutely.

I've been to several Taunton games this year and they're competing well in every game I've seen including against high flying Oxford City. 

They've had quite the rise over the past three years. Kev Sturmey and Rob Dray have done great jobs. 

Sustaining Taunton at this level will be tricky and I wonder if we'll suffer as Taunton have traditionally relied on loan players from the likes of Torquay and Yeovil, so them not doing well won't help Taunton. Hopefully Tinnion will sort us with a couple of youngsters; but again probably still more likely to head further south to one of the bigger boys.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

Thanks Spudski, I know a lot of the above but you obviously have a bigger insight.

What specifically has changed from Nov/Dec/Jan when they were really in decent form to now losing 11 in a row?

Everything has caught up. Injuries haven't helped. No continuity. Loans coming and going. A continual turnover of players. Lots of individual errors rather than effort or team set up. Keeper has had a nightmare season. 

The standard of each individual playing or managing isn't of this standard, as a medium.  As a collective it's caught up. 

I think many players have kept going, but in their heads were somewhere else. 

Until money comes in from housing development on land, it will be a few seasons of building again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Imagine what Klopp or Guardiola would be like if they had anything like this fixture list and their squads are probably triple the size of Bracknell's. The Bracknell players will probably have to go to work for quite a few days during this period as well.     

This is worse 

20230405_220209.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, spudski said:

Everything has caught up. Injuries haven't helped. No continuity. Loans coming and going. A continual turnover of players. Lots of individual errors rather than effort or team set up. Keeper has had a nightmare season. 

The standard of each individual playing or managing isn't of this standard, as a medium.  As a collective it's caught up. 

I think many players have kept going, but in their heads were somewhere else. 

Until money comes in from housing development on land, it will be a few seasons of building again. 

What’s your thoughts on John Rendall mate? I was told that Richard Thompson wasn’t a fan and there was no chance of the two of them being at the club at the same time - clearly RT left this season (and must bear some responsibility for the  Beadle shitshow) before JR came in but if RTs concerns were over ability, results would say he was right.

For me, I agree with what you say about club size etc and it is hard to build teams at this level due to turnover. However, if I saw any semblance of a plan I’d give JR some slack - but right now, I don’t. It’s a new face every week, players dropping in and out and it’s as if he’s got a giant tombola - even if you’re short of cash, try and build cohesion. If he wasn’t from Sodbury, there would be no question he’d be on the way at the end of this season IMO as he’s shown no signs of getting it right.

Will probably head down for the Met Police game Saturday - not expecting much!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

What’s your thoughts on John Rendall mate? I was told that Richard Thompson wasn’t a fan and there was no chance of the two of them being at the club at the same time - clearly RT left this season (and must bear some responsibility for the  Beadle shitshow) before JR came in but if RTs concerns were over ability, results would say he was right.

For me, I agree with what you say about club size etc and it is hard to build teams at this level due to turnover. However, if I saw any semblance of a plan I’d give JR some slack - but right now, I don’t. It’s a new face every week, players dropping in and out and it’s as if he’s got a giant tombola - even if you’re short of cash, try and build cohesion. If he wasn’t from Sodbury, there would be no question he’d be on the way at the end of this season IMO as he’s shown no signs of getting it right.

Will probably head down for the Met Police game Saturday - not expecting much!

I didn't know about the scenario re Tommo and JR mate. So can't really comment on that. 

My impression as for JR's appointment, was imo, purely to get that ' local family feel ' back with the supporters.

The appointment of Beadle did so much harm to the club. Regardless of his style of football and results...he lost the respect of the fans and staff. He just wouldn't engage and distanced himself. 

JR being a local lad, and with previous history with the club has certainly galvanised the fan base and support. 

I certainly prefer his style of playing over what Beadle was doing. 

Sadly it's the turnover of players that's killed any coherence and results. 

I've been told it's not out of choice but down to players wanting to leave or not wanting to fight a relegation battle. 

Unfortunately the players coming in, generally are poorer quality than those previously. The quality has been on a downward spiral all season. 

Individual errors rather than team structure often lead to defeat and goals being conceded it seems. 

I often stand within ear shot of the dug out. I can hear the conversations and instructions. It's often the case that the players are doing what they've been asked to do. Constantly out of position, switching off, not tracking their man etc. And offensively often making the wrong choice of pass or move. 

If they struggle next season, then JR's ability would surely come into question more. Right now, I think it's hard to tell. 

• Like 1