IGNORED

Local Non League Thread 2022-23

Silvio Dante

That voluntary relegation seems to have worked. Also through to the Les Phillips Cup semi after a penalty shoot-out over Keys.

Meanwhile I'll be looking for the ground reports after all this rain. Might try to keep it local. Incidentally Wells v Bris definitely on.

8 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

This is nothing short of scandalous. In effect, players in the national league under contract who get injured playing for their club can be made to go onto SSP or even made redundant after 12 weeks. It’s horrific for the players, who although full time, don’t earn a significant amount at that level.

Todays non league game in the absence of city is Chipping Sodbury Vs Wantage in the Hellenic League. £6 entry. 

Absolute village standard. Really poor fare, and you’d see better at the Downs tbh. The Dropoff between Yate Towns level and this, which is two steps down, is absolutely huge.

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Screenshot_20230325_170340_Flashscore.jpg

Great win for Taunton, Braintree are 5th.

They`ve really done well since coming up, I thought they were in for a real struggle at the bottom. Still not safe but four points clear and plenty of games in hand.

In other (not local) news. 16k at Notts County v Scunthorpe today including 1800 from Scunny.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, phantom said:

Screenshot_20230325_170340_Flashscore.jpg

Screenshot_20230325_170531_Flashscore.jpg

That’s a shocker of a result for Weston, North Leigh in the relegation zone and have been pretty much all season.

Looks all over for Yate - horrendous run of form and 9 from safety. As I’ve said before, a lot of blame at Beadles door but serious questions already for me over John Rendall - making a new signing weekly and changing the side smacks of desperation rather than a coach who knows what he’s doing at any level. I’d be tempted to give him his sandwiches in a roadmap in the summer and start afresh.

• Admin
33 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

That’s a shocker of a result for Weston, North Leigh in the relegation zone and have been pretty much all season.

Weston have got massive problems they are completely out of form at the moment 

They were fortunate that Truro beat a flying Bracknell side last week 

• Like 1

Meanwhile a crazy game at Shellards Road: Longwell Green went three up by half time, Lydeard came back and scored three soon into the second. Green made it 4-3 inside two minutes (Belcher's hat-trick) after the equaliser and rounded the match off with a fifth. Value for money at the Toolstation League.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Looks all over for Yate - horrendous run of form and 9 from safety. As I’ve said before, a lot of blame at Beadles door but serious questions already for me over John Rendall - making a new signing weekly and changing the side smacks of desperation rather than a coach who knows what he’s doing at any level. I’d be tempted to give him his sandwiches in a roadmap in the summer and start afresh.

I watched Yate today. They had a period in the first half where they had 3 good chances to score. In fact they were the better side that half. Against the run of play Bracknell scored...they grew in confidence and played with more freedom. Their second was a really well taken goal. Good build up and finely struck shot. 

I think Yate are now down. 

As for the constant change of players, I was told today, it was because certain players weren't up for a relegation battle and had given up. Hence so many coming and going. 

Lino did his hamstring first half, so thankfully there was a qualified official in the crowd who took over. 

Sadly the club need a massive injection of money. The pitch is now so bobbly. And the car park is like the Somme. Rust, paint peeling, fences broken, it's sadly starting to look and feel really shabby. 

At least they gave it a real go today. Just outclassed and lacked composure and good decision making when needed. 

21 minutes ago, spudski said:

I watched Yate today. They had a period in the first half where they had 3 good chances to score. In fact they were the better side that half. Against the run of play Bracknell scored...they grew in confidence and played with more freedom. Their second was a really well taken goal. Good build up and finely struck shot. 

I think Yate are now down. 

As for the constant change of players, I was told today, it was because certain players weren't up for a relegation battle and had given up. Hence so many coming and going. 

Lino did his hamstring first half, so thankfully there was a qualified official in the crowd who took over. 

Sadly the club need a massive injection of money. The pitch is now so bobbly. And the car park is like the Somme. Rust, paint peeling, fences broken, it's sadly starting to look and feel really shabby. 

At least they gave it a real go today. Just outclassed and lacked composure and good decision making when needed. 

I know when Rendall and Paul Tovey came in that Tovey expressed the opinion that the squad weren’t good enough. The problem is that what they’ve brought in to replace hasn’t really set the world alight either. It’s fine (and correct) to replace players “not up for the fight”, but when those shipped in perform worse (noting what you say about today), then it probably asks questions on the management teams judgement and ability.

Put it this way - they’ve not emboldened confidence they’re the men to lead a rebuild when the building so far has been downwards (and that’s even accounting for Beadle being a total shitshow).

As for the wider ground - agree. I think there is a degree here of waiting for the housing investment etc - ultimately most people go for a spit and sawdust football experience so I don’t think it’s the biggest deal in that respect, but with the increase in local population making the facility a 7 day a week one has to be the long term play.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, phantom said:

Weston have got massive problems they are completely out of form at the moment 

They were fortunate that Truro beat a flying Bracknell side last week 

Bartlett will be sacked 45 seconds after if they don’t go up, champions or otherwise. It’s a hell of a choke atm. Grubb went off injured yesterday too. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Weston drew one each away tonight. 

Amazing to think a few weeks ago Chesham looked the real threat to Weston but Chesham have gone right off the boil. 

By all accounts Weston were awful on Saturday and only marginally better this evening 

Oddly Truro are due to play Bracknell again Wednesday evening after only recently meeting 

But Truro groundshare with Plymouth Parkway whose ground is in a real mess due to weeks of wet weather and a backlog of fixtures being played there, Plymouths game was postponed Tuesday night due to a water logged pitch so wouldn't be surprised to see another postponed match Wednesday night 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, phantom said:

Amazing to think a few weeks ago Chesham looked the real threat to Weston but Chesham have gone right off the boil. 

By all accounts Weston were awful on Saturday and only marginally better this evening 

Oddly Truro are due to play Bracknell again Wednesday evening after only recently meeting 

But Truro groundshare with Plymouth Parkway whose ground is in a real mess due to weeks of wet weather and a backlog of fixtures being played there, Plymouths game was postponed Tuesday night due to a water logged pitch so wouldn't be surprised to see another postponed match Wednesday night 

Yep postponed it is.

• Like 1

With a rare Saturday afternoon off and no intention to do any household chores that I'd left for the weekend, I ventured to Winterfield Road for Paulton Rovers v Wimborne Town. Was my first visit for a competitive game although I did once go there for a testimonial game for Rob Cousins IIRC.

Bumped into a couple of mates before the start, one of whom like me had originally planned to go to Longwell Green v Bishop's Lydeard but had a last minute change of mind! 

Decent set up there and nice bar. First half  wasn't too bad with Wimborne scoring on 44 and Paulton levelling on 45+2. The second half ignited quite early on when homester Dan McBeam was shown a straight red for retaliation however the Wimborne player escaped scot free. Paulton actually played better a man down and could have snatched victory with a little more composure around the box. Aaron Sainsbury was near faultless in goal and deservedly took the MOM award.

Will go back again sometime as Paulton's joint manager John Durbin was our old manager at Hengrove till 2019. 

• Like 1

On 29/03/2023 at 13:38, Gosport_Red said:

Interesting run in for relegation this year in the Southern Premier 

image_6422fbd212df4.jpeg

tough run in for most there - WSM/Truro/Poole etc.

Would like to see Winch stay up, first ever season at this level and a real small fish. I read somewhere their gaffer doesn't get paid anything at all and has turned down some offers from levels above