IGNORED

Local Non League Thread 2022-23

Silvio Dante

5 hours ago, spudski said:

If you are looking for some live football to watch. Yate Town are home to Weston tomorrow night. It's forecast dry.

Usually a fiesty affair.

Yate have seemingly turned their season around since the awful appointment of Beale.

New local management team, some new players, fans totally behind the club, good feeling back. Playing better football. 4 points from last two away games and 2 clean sheets, which is some turnaround, considering they were leaking for fun before.

Weston second in the league and won last 6 games.

Hoping for a cracker.

Always fun under the lights, and for a tenner, what's not to like ?

Yate just took young city defender Callum Wood on loan for a month

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Leveller said:

That’s some serious travelling for Bridlington tbf.

Probably a 'Whoosh' moment, but I spent a few days in Bridlington (the Yorkshire one) some years ago and was very pleasantly surprised.

An interesting 'old town', a nice walk overlooking the beach and some wonderful, fresh seafood, including lobster and scallops, at half the price one might expect to pay in and around Bristol, but twice the quality - or so it seemed at the time.   

Mangotsfield manager Phil Bater gone ! Got to be the biggest shambles of a football club there is . More managers than Prime Ministers. How they survive is a miracle , player turnover is off the scale . New chairman now but they still keep appointing the same has beens . 
Go for a young manager who can actually coach rather than just bring in players who leave after 5 minutes . 
Actually get the local community involved rather than keep the normal closed shop . Why not ask local people with money if they would like to get involved.

Will be in County league soon. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Redar me said:

Mangotsfield manager Phil Bater gone ! Got to be the biggest shambles of a football club there is . More managers than Prime Ministers. How they survive is a miracle , player turnover is off the scale . New chairman now but they still keep appointing the same has beens . 
Go for a young manager who can actually coach rather than just bring in players who leave after 5 minutes . 
Actually get the local community involved rather than keep the normal closed shop . Why not ask local people with money if they would like to get involved.

I might be wrong, but wasn’t he appointed previously and stood down before he started…or am I thinking of someone else?

1 hour ago, Redar me said:

Saw they couldn't raise a team for tonight as a result, and had to forfeit the match. Shocking. 

My 5 year old grand daughter has apparently started talking about football, her mum (my daughter) used to be a season ticket holder before she met her husband who has no interest in football. We are going to start her off slowly with a trip to Portishead Town this Saturday followed by a Vixens game if she likes it.

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

10 hours ago, Redar me said:

That clubs been sinking for a while.  Doesn’t seem that long ago that they could rightfully feel hard done by losing to (then conference) Forest Green in the FA cup.

And living not far from them, in all honesty you wouldn’t know they exist.  No idea what they could do to change that admittedly.  

• Like 1

On 21/11/2022 at 13:21, Portland Bill said:

I didn’t realise they were in it, perhaps the bottom half of the Southern league south go in it as well ?.

I was under the impression that the Vase is what used to be the FA Amateur Cup. In which case I'm surprised at the low number of entrants.

2 hours ago, 22A said:

I was under the impression that the Vase is what used to be the FA Amateur Cup. In which case I'm surprised at the low number of entrants.

It’s for step 5 and 6 sides level 9 and 10. 

64 teams left in it,  for now in the 3rd round. Been 2 qualifying rounds and 2 rounds proper so far. This is the last regional round before draw goes National.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Marinovic levels?

Even worse. Horsell is bad enough for Yate but Gosports keeper was horrific - beaten from 25 yards by a shot he saw all the way and could have fallen on, came up short on a back header and worst of all, got both hands (and a lot of contact) to a shot from Tooze that still went in to make it 4-3. Total crisp packet hands.

• Haha 1

On 23/11/2022 at 07:37, Port Said Red said:

My 5 year old grand daughter has apparently started talking about football, her mum (my daughter) used to be a season ticket holder before she met her husband who has no interest in football. We are going to start her off slowly with a trip to Portishead Town this Saturday followed by a Vixens game if she likes it.

That’s a good age to start taking them to games. My girl was 5 when I took her to her first city game, she was hooked straight away , loves the whole day out , bus ride into town, walk round the harbour side and then the pub ( ok she moans a bit about about the 2hrs in the pub!).  5 is probably a good age to start her playing as well if she’s interested, my girl started at 10 last year and moans that I should have got her into it earlier!    Hope she enjoyed it today .

2 hours ago, mattjb said:

That’s a good age to start taking them to games. My girl was 5 when I took her to her first city game, she was hooked straight away , loves the whole day out , bus ride into town, walk round the harbour side and then the pub ( ok she moans a bit about about the 2hrs in the pub!).  5 is probably a good age to start her playing as well if she’s interested, my girl started at 10 last year and moans that I should have got her into it earlier!    Hope she enjoyed it today .

She did enjoy it, although I don't know about the football side. She lasted until about 20 minutes into the second half, which was better than I expected to be honest. Portishead tried hard to play football, but Odd Down had a more physical presence and I see that they won with a 96th minute goal. It was a nice friendly set up, and there were a couple of slightly older girls there who were encouraging her to go and play, so we will see. They serve truly the worst hot chocolate I have ever tasted though. :)  

10 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

She did enjoy it, although I don't know about the football side. She lasted until about 20 minutes into the second half, which was better than I expected to be honest. Portishead tried hard to play football, but Odd Down had a more physical presence and I see that they won with a 96th minute goal. It was a nice friendly set up, and there were a couple of slightly older girls there who were encouraging her to go and play, so we will see. They serve truly the worst hot chocolate I have ever tasted though. :)  

Glad she enjoyed it?. At that age it’s more about being out and about than the actual football so she did well lasting that long watching the game. To be honest I thought girls football would be a big commitment but it’s not too bad,it’s pretty relaxed . Definitely good for them to be involved in a team game outside of school and build another circle of friends.  You should take her to a City game so she can endure a lifetime of frustration like the rest of us!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mattjb said:

Glad she enjoyed it?. At that age it’s more about being out and about than the actual football so she did well lasting that long watching the game. To be honest I thought girls football would be a big commitment but it’s not too bad,it’s pretty relaxed . Definitely good for them to be involved in a team game outside of school and build another circle of friends.  You should take her to a City game so she can endure a lifetime of frustration like the rest of us!

We are building up to a City game, it will definitely happen. :)

The only issue with getting her playing is time and expense. She already has a swimming club and an after school club (which includes a bit of football), and has said she wants to try gymnastics. I think her father in particular likes the idea of channelling her interests away from football and towards the warmer indoor sports. :whistle:

I will keep encouraging her though, it's a shame the vixens don't have a home game until mid January, I would like to have got in while she was excited about yesterday.

7 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

We are building up to a City game, it will definitely happen. :)

The only issue with getting her playing is time and expense. She already has a swimming club and an after school club (which includes a bit of football), and has said she wants to try gymnastics. I think her father in particular likes the idea of channelling her interests away from football and towards the warmer indoor sports. :whistle:

I will keep encouraging her though, it's a shame the vixens don't have a home game until mid January, I would like to have got in while she was excited about yesterday.

I had to endure the pain of watching hour upon hour of street dance competitions , sometimes as far away as the midlands! Thankfully she’s given it up to concentrate on football!  As you say time and expense is a problem. 
Hope it all works out and she becomes a life long City fan .

• Thanks 1