IGNORED

Non League Thread 2023/24

phantom

just back from Frome and Farm were unlucky not to win. were deservedly ahead, and the Frome 11 who scored the equaliser shouldnt have been sent off. but I honestly dont care as much as I normally would as the dropped points make absolutely no difference.

Away to Cribbs on Wednesday evening, and currently on a run of 9 wins in 11.

First goal today was a rebound after an Owen Brain freekick was saved, 2nd was an indirect freekick layed off to Owen Brain who floated it into the top corner, and the 3rd was Doddimead (scorer of the first) chasing a ball, taking advantage of a slip by the Frome keeper to score from 25 yards

40 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Sure this has been covered before but why is Luke Freeman playing non-league?

Barnet is convenient and close to his home base (via Stevenage & Luton) , I think. Still absolutely mental though. 

• Thanks 1

The Daily Mail is reporting that the Premier League has been in talks with the top 16 sides in the National League about a new cup competition where the NL clubs would play PL U21 sides. It is understood that the proposed competition would have four groups of eight teams, four from each division, and the National League teams would play the Premier League Under 21 outfits at home.

I can see how this would advantageous to the PL clubs whose youngsters would get to play man's football while preserving their previous first team squads, but where's the benefit for the NL? I'd be surprised if the competition drew large crowds or a tv audience. 

1 hour ago, transfer reader said:

As far as I saw 2 maybe 3 people ran on after we equalised at 1-1, but I was going so mad celebrating myself I didn't really see

The dad of the goalscorer 😆 Done the same at AG in the early ninety’s goading the Rovers fans right in front of the open end when Louie Donawa got the winner to beat them for the first time in many a year, what a lad 😆

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

The dad of the goalscorer 😆 Done the same at AG in the early ninety’s goading the Rovers fans right in front of the open end when Louie Donawa got the winner to beat them for the first time in many a year, what a lad 😆

Dodz has been great since signing for Farm

Wasn't immediately convinced although his relentless pressing was good, but after he got his first goal he hasn't looked back

Must be on about 10 goals now and didn't join until November, didn't score until late December. Had a few wrongly given as offside as well, including one on Thursday where he scored after going past 3 defenders, then the flag went up.

Well done Worthing into final

One more step and we go into National Conference, and that would be two promotions in two seasons.

Hope City scouts are looking at Ollie Pearce.  Hear Brighton might be interested

40 goals in 44 games.

Bet our lot haven’t even got him on the radar.  Has to be a better bet than Murphy surely.

On 23/04/2024 at 11:02, phantom said:

It's not about the grounds facilities it is about the lack of having a 10 year lease to play at the stadium

But it was ok for the likes of Coventry to not have a 10 year lease. Not even sure Coventry have that now tbh. Think it's only 4 years now. 

8 hours ago, Cov 77 said:

Both with an average attendance of around 1500-2000 , hope they can pick up a few more if they go up 😳

Both have a ground capacity of c5500 and I do expect them to pick up a few more although in Bromley most of the locals support London PL teams as its only 20/30 mins on the train to central London. 

Western league play offs tonight,

Premier Division.

Bridgwater 0 Clevedon 1

Falmouth 3 Barnstaple 1

Falmouth v Clevedon Final.

Division one.

Radstock 0 Brislington 1

Wincanton 6 Wells City 4

Wincanton v Brislington Final. 

I think ??? both finals are on bank holiday Monday 6th May. 

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Clevedon through to play off final. Probably be a fair few people at Bridgy getting sacked tonight. 

😁 I live in Bridgwater, always used to go and watch them, I stopped myself going tonight, even though I thought about going in free at HT!!.  But, I now refuse to give them any of my cash, and won’t until the club goes back to being a football club, and not the standing joke it currently is. 

Really pleased Clevedon won tonight, hopefully Bridgwater Town ( I refuse to give it the current ridiculous name ) implodes. 

Edited by Portland Bill
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Western league play offs tonight,

Premier Division.

Bridgwater 0 Clevedon 1

Falmouth 3 Barnstaple 1

Falmouth v Clevedon Final.

Division one.

Radstock 0 Brislington 1

Wincanton 6 Wells City 4

Wincanton v Brislington Final. 

I think ??? both finals are on bank holiday Monday 6th May. 

Edit, Both the finals are actually this Saturday!. 

• Admin
On 29/04/2024 at 06:11, W-S-M Seagull said:

But it was ok for the likes of Coventry to not have a 10 year lease. Not even sure Coventry have that now tbh. Think it's only 4 years now. 

I'd assume that it is like ground regulations, in that if you are in the league you get more grace to get things right, but anyone new entering have to hit certain basic guidelines

From the Toolstation site:

Prem Playoff final Sat 4th

Falmouth v Clevedon - at Falmouth

1st Div Playoff final Sat 4th

Wincanton v Brislington - at Wincanton

Les Phillips Cup Final Sun 12th

Shepton Mallet v Barnstaple - at Tiverton

There are a smattering of other league games that are needed to complete the current season too.