IGNORED

Non League Thread 2023/24

phantom

• Admin
20 minutes ago, hollydog said:

Well summed up. I was there too - a truly awful game of football. I too am astonished that I was watching professional footballers. Torquay’s two goals were out of character with the rest of the game. Thought their celebrations were OTT - you would have thought they’d won the Champions League!

Realistically stayed up by winning

3 minutes ago, sephjnr said:

Taunton vs Weston-Super-Mare tomorrow night, if Weston win Taunton are down outright.

In reality a draw isn't enough for Taunton either, otherwise they have to not only beat Hemel Hempstead on Saturday but also better turn a 4 goal, goal difference over Eastbourne 

On 09/04/2024 at 08:03, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

A potential (and needed) little earner for Thornbury Town tonight in the Hellenic League. 

Worcester City come to Town with a point securing the title for them and also confirming safety for Thornbury. Rumours online that the record attendance of 394 is about to be smashed… 

If anyone’s at loose ends tonight and in the area, could be entertaining. 

Just in case anyone wanted an update, Worcester won the league that night and the crowd was smashed at 570 through the door. A fair few Thornbarians in attendance but mostly Worcester fans. 

Thornbury survived another season in the Hellenic Premier League, despite being the only team without a playing budget. Relying heavily on local lads playing for the club and youngsters from Cheltenham, Forest Green looking for men’s football. (Honestly, if you have a 16/17 year old at an academy, push them for a loan to step 4/5/6 football, they will progress much more than playing against other u18, then u21 players) 

I may have mentioned it before but as a club we are years behind the majority of clubs in the area in respect to facilities and probably crippled ourselves by getting consecutive promotions to the Hellenic Prem, where all our money was then spent on meeting the ground requirements instead of growing off the pitch 

Anyway, we’re slowly getting there and creating a ground/facilities that we can be proud of, but god it can be difficult! 

• Like 4

On 11/04/2024 at 23:17, petehinton said:

As expected and required, Yeovil champions of NLS. 

I found this post from a Yeovil fan on another forum;

this time last year we had a owner trying his best to sell the club, we was 3 days away from extinction, it was going to be wound up in the court , then a local fan when he was young came along bought the club told the manager he will back him , he told us he will build a squad that will compete, we walked it , 14 game winning run , 100,000 + through the gate at home this season record after record broke , after 10 years of crap managers and owners and chairman we are back

• Like 2

19 hours ago, phantom said:

Realistically stayed up by winning

In reality a draw isn't enough for Taunton either, otherwise they have to not only beat Hemel Hempstead on Saturday but also better turn a 4 goal, goal difference over Eastbourne 

Eastbourne have really turned it around in the last 5 games, they looked doomed a couple of weeks ago, third in the table on current form

So Cotts will be manager and head of recruitment for non league FGR next season. They'll also be leaving Chippenham for training and moving to the new facilities at Eco park Jnctn 13, M5.

Going to interesting to see if he can offload the cross. 

31 minutes ago, spudski said:

So Cotts will be manager and head of recruitment for non league FGR next season. They'll also be leaving Chippenham for training and moving to the new facilities at Eco park Jnctn 13, M5.

Going to interesting to see if he can offload the cross. 

Apparently only a couple of the existing squad are under contract for next season so he'll have the opportunity to completely rebuild it.

Best thing they could do.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Apparently only a couple of the existing squad are under contract for next season so he'll have the opportunity to completely rebuild it.

Best thing they could do.

It's around 13-14 IN contract and 14-15 OUT of contract at a rough estimate. There have been so many players in/out the last couple of seasons that it's more or less impossible to say for sure.

Still players like Amadou Bakayoko on the books at present having spent the whole season at Dundee. At least one, David Davies genuinely thought to be missing / lost but apparently sadly long-term ill, not injured.

Very few with any re-sale value at all.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sixtyseconds said:

Floolights up.

Stand going up.

And cans of natch ready to go.

Haha, i spent my youth on Creswicke Road playing fields playing 30 a-side on a Sunday afternoon 😃

Just now, Davefevs said:

Where do they play?

Creswicke Road

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TV Tom said:

Indeed, CTK also played up there many years ago along with many other teams over the years

CTK Southside?  Can’t remember who I was playing for (Sunday?) but played against them.

I played as a “ringer” for Broad Plain once!!

• Haha 1

On 18/04/2024 at 07:26, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Just in case anyone wanted an update, Worcester won the league that night and the crowd was smashed at 570 through the door. A fair few Thornbarians in attendance but mostly Worcester fans. 

Thornbury survived another season in the Hellenic Premier League, despite being the only team without a playing budget. Relying heavily on local lads playing for the club and youngsters from Cheltenham, Forest Green looking for men’s football. (Honestly, if you have a 16/17 year old at an academy, push them for a loan to step 4/5/6 football, they will progress much more than playing against other u18, then u21 players) 

I may have mentioned it before but as a club we are years behind the majority of clubs in the area in respect to facilities and probably crippled ourselves by getting consecutive promotions to the Hellenic Prem, where all our money was then spent on meeting the ground requirements instead of growing off the pitch 

Anyway, we’re slowly getting there and creating a ground/facilities that we can be proud of, but god it can be difficult! 

Pleased to hear that Thornbury has survived (my birth place). Do they still play at the Munday playing fields ? 

Not surprised to hear Worc brought a load down, they outnumbered Mangos earlier in the year.............they truly must be the Gash of the Hellenic !

• Admin

The National League playoffs:

🔹Eliminators

Tue 23-Solihull Moors v Gateshead

Wed 24-Altrincham v Halifax Town

🔹Semi-finals

Sat 27-Barnet v Solihull/Gateshead

Sun 28-Bromley v Altrincham/Halifax 

🔹Final 

Sun 5 May

• Like 1

• Admin
19 hours ago, transfer reader said:

Final home game of the season for Farm tomorrow against Melksham. A win would all but secure the playoffs.

Quite likely to be a party in the clubhouse with a win.

Winning 2-0

Ollie Woodhouse and Lewis Leigh-Gilchrist with the goals